What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm at work trying to do as little as possible. I'm not feeling it today. But I get out in less than 5 hours.

Then I plan on weeding the iris bed. They're from DH's grandparents' house in Maine that's no longer in the family. The irises have seen a handful of generations and I think I'm the only one left caring for some of them. They didn't bloom last year but are growing healthy leaves so I'm hoping with some care and fertilizer they'll bloom this year.

My bee mentor called and said he was going to retrieve a swarm and if I would come, I could have it to replace the one that left this week.

Got there and the swarm had just left. They had a pic and it was a very large swarm. I really needed it.

I'm down to 1.5 hives and am not expecting the weak one to survive.

Put in to take off half a day to take the wife to the doctor, got home by 09:30 and had 4 meeting invites for what was intended to be a catch up afternoon. By 10:00 I was on my first call, and stayed busy till 19:00. All my deliverables and then some were out the door on time (COB), didn't say which time zone.

For lunch I had a frozen burrito and walked around the garden. I had a dove stuck in my covered growing area. It was sure spooked, I ended up having to actually carry the bird out of the enclosure.

I have been working up heavy loads for the BM450, I ended up using data from the 454 Casull and the 460 Mag as reference points for the 395 grain bullet my buddy wants to shoot. Plan to load up a box tomorrow for Sunday's range day.

I'm glad it's been raining because I haven't had time to do much watering, then again the rain didn't help my indoor plants...

Just finished another long day. It got hot, but nothing like the last two days. Still, everyone was worn down and things just didn't go as well today.

Tomorrow we start installing switches. It's a two day project, 5am to 8pm tomorrow and 5am to whenever we get done on Sunday. Then Monday will be cleanup and prepping the equipment to travel back out to Nebraska. Should be a load of fun...

Just finished another long day. It got hot, but nothing like the last two days. Still, everyone was worn down and things just didn't go as well today.

Tomorrow we start installing switches. It's a two day project, 5am to 8pm tomorrow and 5am to whenever we get done on Sunday. Then Monday will be cleanup and prepping the equipment to travel back out to Nebraska. Should be a load of fun...
Glad it cooled down some for you

Met with our wealth advisors today, we may continue to eat and live indoors. :clapping:

Picked up a hunk of wood and a big wood screw on the way home, got to pull off the highway and put the tiny donut spare on. Tire is at the shop getting repaired.

My bee mentor called and said he was going to retrieve a swarm and if I would come, I could have it to replace the one that left this week.

Got there and the swarm had just left. They had a pic and it was a very large swarm. I really needed it.

There is a lot of swarm movement in the spring, you may get lucky!!

Guy that works for me asked to leave at lunch yesterday, was gonna try and catch a swarm. He got there 3 minutes after they took off.

They had a pic and it was a very large swarm.

Friends & I were climbing at Mission Gorge one time, and I was high on a crag when a colossal swarm of bees flew around the nearest corner and passed right by me... I was on some fairly small holds, so I simply leaned in toward the rock and let 'em go, thankful that they were merely on the scout for a new hive location (and not aggressive). :oops:

I recall reading in the mags about one climber who was soloing with gear (anchor at the base of the cliff, climber paying out line as he went), and that poor sod riled some stinging insects (most likely killer bees) who attacked him in force. Dude was found dead, just hanging in his harness where he met his end. No lie, this actually happened... bad way to go. :confused:

Got quite a bit done today. My day got commandeered in that I had to go into work for about 1/2 hr. so ran by the store and the butcher and to Goodwill where I miraculously found 3 pairs of jeans for about $22 total. I will have to hem one pair, but that's easy enough. They never seem to have jeans that aren't "pre-shredded" or otherwise as ridiculous which I don't buy so I was thrilled.
Made it home and washed the car inside and out, vacuumed and treated vinyl - looks sooo much better & is clean for the trip.
Also got all the garden "stuff" picked up and put away, washed the back stoop and the summer kitchen stoop. I was hoping to mow, but ran short of time. Did 2 loads of laundry and all the dishes from lunch and supper etc. so am now sitting for a few.

Weeded in the garden today, did the watering. Went into our little town today, checked the mail at the PO, got more deals at the little amish store, husband and I stopped in the burger place and had a soft serve cone. Someone posted a sign that our little farmer's mkt will be starting in a couple of weeks. Usually only about 4 or 5 sellers. Not sure if I'll sell or not. Little granddaughter set up her tent on the back deck to sleep tonight. She just ran in yelling about a beetle on the tent. So maybe not.

Good morning everyone!! Beautiful start to the day. A lot of heat coming, but really nice outside right now!! I'm off today, got some laundry started! Got a little push mowing to do around the yard, then I'm washing my car and truck! Spreading granular sulphur around the house and pool to keep the copperheads away. May have an easy afternoon!! Already watered and did some weeding!

Yesterday, walked first.
Went to Walmart, Dollar tree and Co-op (top soil)
Went by Social Security ofc. to check hours and procedure for appt.
Came home and shredded some cheese.
Cooked 99 cent a pound drumsticks in instant pot and finished under broiler.

Today, walked first.
Secured tomato cages that blew over yesterday in little storm--got half an inch of rain.
Next, will get sweet potato treats for dogs into oven.
Then walk dogs.
Dust house.
Remove a sticker from back of my jeep.
Clean another fridge shelf and put down placemats.
Maybe cook sausage and eggs since I was given a couple of dozen extra.
That should be enough!

I'm waiting for my brother to finish some gaming so we can go to the store. I need his help with lifting the water. I wish he would hurry up. It's going to be super hot by the time we get there if he doesn't hustle. Puppies still keep getting back in. Tried to chew my replacement shoes but I caught them in time. They are really aggravating me. I'm seriously considering driving them out to another parish and dumping them at a shelter.

Good morning everyone!! Beautiful start to the day. A lot of heat coming, but really nice outside right now!! I'm off today, got some laundry started! Got a little push mowing to do around the yard, then I'm washing my car and truck! Spreading granular sulphur around the house and pool to keep the copperheads away. May have an easy afternoon!! Already watered and did some weeding!

Yeah, in the hot country ya gotta get an early start... no fun being out there in the blazing heat. My mornings are very nice, as it's still plenty cool out there in the early hours. I watered the trees today, this ongoing drought is bad but my new system of watering seems to be bringing all the trees into good condition. The trees which were suffering the most already look a bit better, more green and less brown, which is a good sign. :)

Went to the grade school's chicken noon meal fundraiser. We ate the meat chickens the school kids raised. They had beans, cole slaw, a roll, and a cookie. Went to the burger place while granddaughter was working and had a cone. Then off to the thrift store in our little town, found some bargains and caught up on the local news. Little granddaughter got a music box there, in the "antique" section. For $3. Very pretty. Then I realized it plays our wedding song. She thought that was funny. (Endless Love)

My brother came in right after I posted. One of the puppies chewed up one of my dvd sets. No idea where she found it. Went to our favorite Chinese place. Owner had his arm in a cast. He said he fell and broke it. I hope it heals quickly. He's a really nice guy. Food was very good. Grabbed everything on the list at Samsclub. Popped in to see my friend. He passed one of his large kidney stones but still has more to pass.

DH and I went fishing today, it was a beautiful day. Temp started at around 62 and went up to 80, sunny despite the forecast saying mostly cloudy. I got a mild sunburn even though I had sunblock on. XD

We each caught a couple good sized bass, my last one was on the tiniest hook, I really thought I was going to lose it but we managed to net it. Was a lovely day. 😁

Mowed the yards.
Hand washed the vehicles.
Dragged garden hoses through the woods to the raised beds.
Placed the soaker hose by the wife’s strawberry plant and connect on/off timer.
Updated a customer’s website.
Made three trips to the mail box, evidently no mail delivery today.
Rotated and flipped the bed mattress at the wife’s request.

Laundry has been started.
Will do Dad's shopping Sunday.
My oldest son is angry at me.
Well join the club buster.
I'm not exactly happy with him either.
My stomach ulcer is bleeding.
At least it doesn't look like coffee grounds now.
A friend of mine died unexpectly on Thursday afternoon.
My Dad is getting weaker.
My sister from Texas upset him greatly.
Hence why my ulcer is giving me fits.

That sounds painful, Mo.
Hope you and your dad are doing better
Hopefully this too will pass.
Sooner than later.
I so need a vacation.
Away from everybody and all the stress I'm dealing with.
Hopefully I won't have to go far.
Not answering the locked up IPhone.
I'm keeping the phone active right now.
Also keeping my current phone number.
Because this is the phone number my Dad knows.

Hopefully this too will pass.
Sooner than later.
I so need a vacation.
Away from everybody and all the stress I'm dealing with.
Hopefully I won't have to go far.
Not answering the locked up IPhone.
I'm keeping the phone active right now.
Also keeping my current phone number.
Because this is the phone number my Dad knows.
Life has its seasons and you are in one of those tough ones. Been there, done that. Prayers that you catch some breaks.

Little granddaughter got a music box there, in the "antique" section. For $3. Very pretty. Then I realized it plays our wedding song. She thought that was funny. (Endless Love)
That is a beautiful song and was probably common at weddings for many years.
I went to find that on YT. Listened to it and added it to a playlist. Lionel Ritchie and Diana Ross, but several people have recorded it. As I looked at the list I saw Michael Jackson and Diana Ross in one of the videos, Luther Vandross in another. Sure have been some really talented but messed up people involved with that song.

Busy week. Neighbor kid is home from his freshman year at School of Mines (Dean's List) and wanting to do construction work this summer. He has a job that he starts soon, but he and his dad did some work for me. The honey locust branches by the garage grow down and some were rubbing on the roof. He took several off. It is a matter of time, a couple years, before the next branches up will grow down again and need to be removed. It is the nature of honey locusts.

They repaired the gate that opens to drive into the yard. The posts holding up the gate recently gave way and gate was leaning out. Two new posts were cemented in. Now it is secured and not inviting someone to come into the yard. It's not easy to find help with these kinds of jobs and I am done repairing my own fence. Everyone wants and probably needs larger jobs. I am so grateful that when I asked neighbor if he knew anyone who could do these that he put it together to do both of these for me with his son for a decent fee. Win-win

Really seeing progress in the front now, but still have work to do up front and in the garden. The weeds never end.

Super productive day today. Mowed the yard and used the leaf vacuum to clean up the paths and porches. Uncovered the hoop house (I can't imagine getting any more snow this spring), fixed our screen door (it had cracked), filled 6 5 gallon buckets up with weeds, replaced a cracked sprinkler head, mended the quail hutch (something, probably a coon, ripped the back wall right off) and found one of the wayward quail, programmed the timer for the drip irrigation and my better 1/2 scrubbed down all the patio furniture and got the cushions out of storage. Got the groceries and made spaghetti with coleslaw. I'll sleep well tonight, that's for sure!

Latest posts

Back