What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always been under the impression that I could not donate blood because I'm a Type 1 diabetic. Today I learned that the blood center nearest me will accept my blood. Now I'm trying to find out my blood type. It's not in any of my medical records that I can find, not on my birth certificate either. The hospital where I was born has been shut down for 20 years so no joy there either. Anybody know where I can find that info?
If you have ever had blood drawn at ANY doctor's office (which is 1000% likely since you are type1) your blood type, as well as your HIV status are not only in your records, every doctor and hospital has access to the info.
You are just being 'too nice' in how you are asking about it. :confused:
They work for us, and will do whatever you make them do.:waiting:

If you have ever had blood drawn at ANY doctor's office (which is 1000% likely since you are type1) your blood type, as well as your HIV status are not only in your records, every doctor and hospital has access to the info.
You are just being 'too nice' in how you are asking about it. :confused:
They work for us, and will do whatever you make them do.:waiting:
I have had my blood drawn by my current practitioner many times, and she doesn't have that information. She asked me if I knew it, which is what got me started thinking about it...

I have had my blood drawn by my current practitioner many times, and she doesn't have that information. She asked me if I knew it, which is what got me started thinking about it...
She wants you to tell her because she is too lazy to go thru the red tape to get it from the companies that processed your blood sample. :mad: They know.
Also if you have had a CDL, blood type was tied in with it at the DMV.
We need some EMT guys like @Haertig to weigh in with 'the rest of the story'.
If they can positively ID you, they can give you a transfusion of the correct blood type in minutes.:thumbs:
They did me. No test or dog-tag needed:). Fortunately I could answer questions.
And I am only alive today because of it.

Last edited:
She wants you to tell her because she is too lazy to go thru the red tape to get it from the companies that processed your blood sample. :mad: They know.
Also if you have had a CDL blood type was tied in with it at the DMV.
We need some EMT guys like @Haertig to weigh in with 'the rest of the story'.
If they can positively ID you, they can give you a transfusion of the correct blood type in minutes.:thumbs:
They did me. No test or tag needed:). Fortunately I could answer questions.
And I am only alive today because of it.
No CDL here, I can't pass the physical.

My old Dr's office didn't have it either. They told me to call the hospital they are affiliated with. I'll do that tomorrow. Or, I'll just have my practitioner order a test next time she draws. As I understand, it's 4 drops of blood on a card or in vials, and observe the reactions of that blood...

My old Dr's office didn't have it either. They told me to call the hospital they are affiliated with. I'll do that tomorrow. Or, I'll just have my practitioner order a test next time she draws. As I understand, it's 4 drops of blood on a card or in vials, and observe the reactions of that blood...
Sorry for my bad attitude but that is just being lazy on their part to save them from having to make a damphone call or 2.
And the 4 drops on the card; we did that in our 10th grade science class!:)
C'mon guys!!:confused:
Doctors love to play the "make them jump thru hoops and they will shut-up game".
...Tell 'em to be glad I ain't there! :waiting:

Last edited:

That's exactly what the test I ordered from amazon was. 4 drops of blood and a drop of reagent mixed in with each one. Took less than 2 minutes and cost all of $8. I can't imagine how much a lab would probably charge for the same workup...

That's exactly what the test I ordered from amazon was. 4 drops of blood and a drop of reagent mixed in with each one. Took less than 2 minutes and cost all of $8. I can't imagine how much a lab would probably charge for the same workup...
When the insurance is paying, charge all you can!

When the insurance is paying, charge all you can!
That's true! My family has some decent medical issues, so we always hit our deductible and usually hit the out of pocket max for my wife - even on our high deductible HSA plan. Once we do it's a relief to not have to worry about how much things cost and to be able to do things like get new Epi Pens where the deductible is usually astronomical.

However, the blood test was for me, the stereotypical grumpy old man who would do almost anything to avoid setting foot in the doctor's office. $88 would have been a deal for me to do it myself 😂

Phone problems fixed.
Seems someone hit telephone pole knocked out my Internet.
Then for some reason wires going underground were run over by lawnmower.
Then some how the weed eater got a hold of the same wires.
Someone got a charge and not in a good way.
But for now it's fixed of sorts.
Middle sister and her husband got back to Texas.
Dad is finally calmed down. Whew!
No Internet means been reading books for the most part.
Catching up on school work.
Looking at next semester classes.
Only taking 6-9 hours this semester.
Been walking about 2 miles a day.
Garden has taking off.
Green beans have a few blooms.

That issue with the lines sounds like when I was growing up in the 70s. You might have a phone line underground. If you did it was marked by a green metal pole, about 3 feet above ground and kind of boxy. Ours got hit ALL THE TIME.

When they do blood work at the DR's office, they don't test for blood type. It is an extra test that costs more money.

You can buy a home test kit on Ebay for just a few bucks, much less costly than having the Doc do it. I need to do that myself. I believe I am O+ but I don't remember for sure.

I'm stuck at work trying to look busy for the next 5.5 hours while I think about all the stuff I could be doing at home right now. :mad:

I can remember those thoughts well. I sat in my office the last few years of when I had a regular job in Florida thinking that every day ....

Baking bread today for the market, waiting for some to get done right now so I can put the next batch in.
Debating on adding some more solar panels so we can run more if the power goes off . We have enough for emergencies but not for all we use

It's my understanding that they don't do the test until after the donation. The blood normally goes into storage for a few days and any testing is done then. I'm pretty sure that sometime in the past I saw that my blood is O+ which fits with my Pops being A+. I don't have access to Mom's type, and she doesn't know. I'm sure the nursing home might have it on file...
Many years ago I decided that I wanted to know my blood type. I was at the doctor's office and when they were doing something with my chart I asked what it was. It was there, on the chart. Now for them to be giving you the run around, I wonder why? It is your blood type. What difference does it make to them if you know it? Trust me, it is in your records somewhere. For them to say it isn't is baloney.

I'm B negative. I didn't really know much about blood types most of my life. One day at work some of us were talking about it, everyone telling what theirs was. When I said B negative, someone said that is pretty rare. You should donate blood. Two percent of the population has B negative. Then I started asking relatives about their blood types, because there is a genetic piece to it. Some are AB, even more rare.

In regards to finding out my blood type, the plot thickens...

I called the medical records department of the hospital where my lab work was done for 20 years. They told me that blood type is never tested as a standard there, unless there is a need for it, i.e. a transfusion or other similar event, or if you donate blood. So I guess I'll either get it done when I give blood, or I'll get the little test kit. Apparently you can get those from CVS, or online...

Many years ago I decided that I wanted to know my blood type. I was at the doctor's office and when they were doing something with my chart I asked what it was. It was there, on the chart. Now for them to be giving you the run around, I wonder why? It is your blood type. What difference does it make to them if you know it? Trust me, it is in your records somewhere. For them to say it isn't is baloney.

I'm B negative. I didn't really know much about blood types most of my life. One day at work some of us were talking about it, everyone telling what theirs was. When I said B negative, someone said that is pretty rare. You should donate blood. Two percent of the population has B negative. Then I started asking relatives about their blood types, because there is a genetic piece to it. Some are AB, even more rare.
My dad was AB, I'm B+! Rare, and women should not have positive blood types!

In regards to finding out my blood type, the plot thickens...

I called the medical records department of the hospital where my lab work was done for 20 years. They told me that blood type is never tested as a standard there, unless there is a need for it, i.e. a transfusion or other similar event, or if you donate blood. So I guess I'll either get it done when I give blood, or I'll get the little test kit. Apparently you can get those from CVS, or online...
I wonder if it is done for women when they are pregnant because of potential issues with pregnancy.

Only matters if you are pregnant, mom and baby must have both positive or negative.
My dad was AB, I'm B+! Rare, and women should not have positive blood types!
It has been suggested to me that I should wear a medical bracelet that says my blood type. I don't know enough about it, or forgot it if I did.

Many years ago I decided that I wanted to know my blood type.
I'm O negative. So everybody wants my blood. The "universal donor". I believe they usually try to match recipients with donor blood that is their specific type. But if times are tough, and supplies low, they can grab the O negative.

The downside of my blood type, is that the only type of blood I can take myself is from another O negative person. So while I can supply many others, my personal supply is limited to just one type. And it's the type that everybody else wants. :(

It has been suggested to me that I should wear a medical bracelet that says my blood type.
They are going to cross and type match your blood before giving you a transfusion, no matter what your bracelet says. The only benefit to a bracelet is probably if it says "O negative". That way they know you are the first one to grab and suck dry to help others in a low supply situation. And that's a benefit to them, not to you.

Latest posts

Back