What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had nasty fire ants in New Mexico, but not so bad here. Mosquitos, on the other hand.
On the road today. Two days travel, two days at the hospital for husband's medical stuff. I am dreading sitting on my butt for four days. Hope older granddaughter behaves herself, I've already gotten into it a few times with her yesterday. Chore lists are on the fridge, and the sitter came by yesterday, and she said she'd make sure they do them. Sitter left her tractor her last night, she uses it like a car. Today is Sunday, and this community does not drive tractor on Sunday, just horse and buggy. So she'll be dropped off after church on horse and buggy.

We had nasty fire ants in New Mexico, but not so bad here. Mosquitos, on the other hand.
On the road today. Two days travel, two days at the hospital for husband's medical stuff. I am dreading sitting on my butt for four days. Hope older granddaughter behaves herself, I've already gotten into it a few times with her yesterday. Chore lists are on the fridge, and the sitter came by yesterday, and she said she'd make sure they do them. Sitter left her tractor her last night, she uses it like a car. Today is Sunday, and this community does not drive tractor on Sunday, just horse and buggy. So she'll be dropped off after church on horse and buggy.
Hope your trip is a safe one!! Maybe a much needed break from the kiddos!! Hope all goes well for your husband. Keep us updated!ā™„ļø

Yep, will keep updated, but not looking forward to this trip. Been dreading it for months. Something always go very wrong on this trip, and we take it every single year. I've gotten to the point, being husband's caretaker, that he does not benefit from these trips at all. Last year the something that went wrong was he forgot all of his meds after we got there. Was in a ghetto neighborhood in Denver at Walgreens at 11 at night after convincing the pharmacist to give him a five day emergency supply of at least a dozen meds. And had to check him in to the hospital early the next morning for the day appointments. After 8 hrs of driving. Some visits he's gotten so sick while there, that they've admitted him for awhile. We've traveled back with a PIC line I had to tend to with meds, we've traveled back in a snow storm trying to beat the road closure, also traveled back with a blood clot found in his chest and we had to pull over for a big old shot in his stomach. Not sure what'll happen this trip, but the Marriot Hotel is already informing us that they are still not cleaning rooms, restocking, serving breakfast. Throw your trash and towels out the door and come get new towels and soap yourself. Make your own bed, clean up your own stuff. We've put up with that for the last two years staying there. Can't believe they're still doing it. Claiming Covid, of course.
Well, hey, dinner with Weedy will be fun.

Today is Sunday, we have church at 10 so I got up at my usual time and harvested salad for a week, pulled up the aged greens, amended the soil in the boxes, and replanted with some fast growing heat tolerant lettuces. I sprayed the yard with insect juice, we have had an earwig problem and I really want to knock then down this year. After I got all the beds planted I watered all my raised beds and trees. I need to get a load of my grubby laundry before getting my shower to be ready for church... Have a great day.

Yep, will keep updated, but not looking forward to this trip. Been dreading it for months. Something always go very wrong on this trip, and we take it every single year. I've gotten to the point, being husband's caretaker, that he does not benefit from these trips at all. Last year the something that went wrong was he forgot all of his meds after we got there. Was in a ghetto neighborhood in Denver at Walgreens at 11 at night after convincing the pharmacist to give him a five day emergency supply of at least a dozen meds. And had to check him in to the hospital early the next morning for the day appointments. After 8 hrs of driving. Some visits he's gotten so sick while there, that they've admitted him for awhile. We've traveled back with a PIC line I had to tend to with meds, we've traveled back in a snow storm trying to beat the road closure, also traveled back with a blood clot found in his chest and we had to pull over for a big old shot in his stomach. Not sure what'll happen this trip, but the Marriot Hotel is already informing us that they are still not cleaning rooms, restocking, serving breakfast. Throw your trash and towels out the door and come get new towels and soap yourself. Make your own bed, clean up your own stuff. We've put up with that for the last two years staying there. Can't believe they're still doing it. Claiming Covid, of course.
Well, hey, dinner with Weedy will be fun.
Dinner with Weedy is awesome, glad something good is in the mix!!

Good morning! Already set up my vitamins for the next month.
Having a homegrown tomato sandwich for breakfast!
Will be off to Sunday School and Church.
Will dehydrate squash this afternoon.
Make some bread and butter squash pickles--open kettle.
Wrap up jars of blueberry butter and Dilly beans for daughter to take home.
Walk dogs.
Water garden.

Heading to Sunday school and church. Fed cats, dogs and let chickens out of coop. Washed load of clothes, changed a/c filter out and swept half of house. Last night I picked squash, green beans and some potatoes. Fried squash for husband and I cooked beans and potatoes with bacon grease. Added garlic salt and butter. Outstanding!

@Amish Heart hope your trip is easy and uneventful this time.
Iā€™m with you, the laziness of people not wanting to do their jobs because of Covid is tiresome. Guess our environmental service workers should do the same in the hospital because of Covid šŸ™„
The no breakfast thing is ridiculous. Grab and go stuff works just fine, not everything has to be a buffet.

The fire ants in Panama are pretty nasty... big critters too. :oops:

Gotta make a store run, might also do laundry, we'll see what time I return. Might just wait till tomorrow morning for the laundry, the bedsheets can probably go another night... I like to wash 'em at least once per week. :rolleyes:

Nice quiet Sunday morning here, just the way I like it... birds singing, cats hanging out, nothing serious planned for today. I'd put off the store run till manana, but I'm getting low on beer... can't have that. Round here, beer is essential, lol. ;)

Where did this weekend go? I guess most of it went to weeding. Our bindweed is going crazy this year, filled 3 five gallon buckets with it yesterday, and only weeded about 1/2 the yard. None of our tomatoes made it this spring, so we bought a couple of flats at the store and got those planted. Thinned the garden beds and had some delicious BLTs with the turnup sprouts we thinned. My wife says she likes the sprouts way better than the turnups :)

Went to worship service this morning:
20220605_101215.jpg

This afternoon will be for getting ready to return to work. Gotta pack up for 7 days in Nebraska...

Planning an experiment for later. Pizza sticks.
I'm chopping all the basic ingredients, mixing them into the batter and baking (attempting to bake!) them in a corn stick pan and use the sauce as a dip.

Watching my 97 yr. old mother string trimming, shes been at it for 4 hours now , I've been down there to put string in it 3 times . So far shes wacked her garden , ditch out front and around her house .:thumbs:

Iā€™m so excited. Hubby and I just put a bid on a ranch house on 7.5 acres of land and it was accepted. We are buying it from a friend from church weā€™ve known for years. She needs to move into town because of her husbandā€™s multiple health issues. Weā€™ll take our time moving as weā€™ll not sell our house until we get fully moved out and paint our old house. Weā€™ll also have time to paint the new house before we move in. Iā€™m going to love living there. ā¤ļø

I read that you powder them. We shall see
UPDATE: the dehydrated scapes are very fluffy after I powdered them. I decided to add pink himalayan salt and reblend then stick back on dehydrator. The scapes made 1.5 pints because of their fluffiness. (Is that a word?) My daughter took 1/2 pint home without the salt added. We shall see.

Iā€™m so excited. Hubby and I just put a bid on a ranch house on 7.5 acres of land and it was accepted. We are buying it from a friend from church weā€™ve known for years. She needs to move into town because of her husbandā€™s multiple health issues. Weā€™ll take our time moving as weā€™ll not sell our house until we get fully moved out and paint our old house. Weā€™ll also have time to paint the new house before we move in. Iā€™m going to love living there. ā¤
WOW, super exciting!! VERY HAPPY for you!!!šŸ˜ƒā™„ļø

Back