What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watching the game. At the moment 24-24 tie.
It would be great to see the Lions win but I'm not holding my breath. They often seem to forget how to tackle in the second half.

Spent most of the day at my Mom's, she just turned 82. The stove and microwave that were in this house when I bought were in much better shape than hers, so when I bought new I saved them for her, and my brother and I installed them for her today. Really brightened up the whole kitchen.

Yesterday my brother came over and installed my new kitchen lights. Finally, no more quasi-castle wrought iron 1970's monstrosities! Really brightened up my kitchen too.

Watching the game. At the moment 24-24 tie.

Not Enough to Too Much.
Maybe the Lions can try again in 2055.
:cool:

The other michigan team won the national championship, not to shabby! :)

Quiet day but had to call the ambulance for mom after dinner. By the time the guys got out here (30min) she was much better. It was decided she didn’t need to go to the hospital. It’s an arrhythmia issue, doc gave a new med thursday, amiodarone. So, I read through the drug details at NiH and the mayo websites yesterday. She pressed the alarm tonight, when I got there she was exhibiting 2 of the top 5 side effects of amiodarone.

It takes 6 days for the chemicals in the drug to become therapeutic. She took the first pill Friday… The side effects, if any, should begin to appear today or tomorrow.

So happened, the paramedic who showed up has an arrhythmia issue, has taken amiodarone. He recognized the symptoms right away. He even had several tips for controlling the side effects. They checked her vitals, fine, she didn’t need to spend the night in the er of a one horse town.

At some point she called my niece, who is now a member of the team taking care of my folks. The funny part… neice called me for details about tonight and vented a bit about the stubbornness of my dad in all the changes taking place. All I could do was laugh to myself and say… welcome to my world 😁! It took me 3 years to convince him to pull up a peach orchard past it’s commercial life, took another 4 years to sell the cattle. He couldn’t do the work anymore! The man is stubborn! (wonder where I get it from 🤣)

Last edited:
Just did the same as joel- a little miscommunication meant my daughter's (who is away at college) window sill plants were watered three times over the weekend. Some got waterlogged and already needed repotting so after doing the hens, running the dogs and usual bits outside spent a happy hour repotting. Hope they don't die now!
About to relocate my desk and some furniture back to my workroom, now my visitors are gone, then later to the post office to send this lot off to a friend with a new baby.
1706530151420.png

got a little snow overnight but didn't stick to the road, so that's good
I finally started on the taxes yesterday, half done . I have to seperate all the receipts into "supply" , "feed" and "other" so the tax people have some idea where it goes on our schedule F. The only reason we get our taxes done at all is to prove we are poor ....

I really need to go shopping out of fresh stuff , but going to wait until tomorrow when the weather is supposed to be better. I want to go swimming also

Snow blowing the snow I watched come down yesterday .
Got about 8" of dense packed snow . Ground isn't frozen on the dirt driveway , Only scooped up a couple rocks and blew some mud.

We are getting sun this afternoon, with warmer temps! Finished animal chores and saw our herd of guineas in front of our neighbors. They took the path between our places. Hopefully they remember where they live. Yesterday was amusing, all 25 on top of the chicken coops, just yelling their heads off. Quite the entertainment outside the kitchen window.

At noon it is 50F to go to 56F for the days high.. This may be a record.. Bright, sunny, calm..

You can also donate books to a local ..Friends of the Library.. organization that has fund raiser book sales.. Find someone who stocks ..Little Free Library.. boxes... Locally we have a store called ..Half Price Books.. that will buy books..

My Tacoma goes to the shop today to get the tail light and bumper fixed. I borrowed my dad's old Silverado for a while until they get done with it. I've been getting the Silverado ready to travel. Had to take all my work gear out of the Tacoma. I've got a lot more in there then I thought I did. I also had to run to Wally World and spend $15 on one of those little bluetooth things that plugs in the cigarette lighter and lets your old regular car radio stream music from your phone. I've had bluetooth in every car I've owned since 2016 and I'm not going without it now.

I like driving the Silverado except for the gas mileage. Yikes! I thought it was bad getting 19-20 mpg in the Tacoma. I've been getting 16-17 in the Silverado...

There's been a couple helicopters flying around our place for about the last 4 hours. We watched them dropping some 4×4 posts. These posts have a length of rebar in one end so they come down like a dart and stick in the ground. They're staking mining claims all around our property for an area of about 5×10 miles. Not sure what minerals they're looking for. We've got some old gold and copper mines on our property, but someone said they could be looking for cobalt. Since we have the only private land in the area, maybe they'll make us an offer to buy this place.

Crushing rock today for road building materials and just trashing my new truck in the mud. I should have taken a picture of the entire truck but I think you can imagine what it looks like by the tire and wheel photo.

View attachment 123670

Do you lease the heavy equipment ?

Looks like fun.

Ben

... These posts have a length of rebar in one end so they come down like a dart and stick in the ground. They're staking mining claims all around our property for an area of about 5×10 miles. ...
Get a video?

How accurate can the staking be from a helicopter?

Ben

I was serious about the Achilles tendon injury and let it heal and using a heat pad. A week latter and I feel fine. Thank God!

In the meanwhile I did prune my citrus tree. I had never touched it previously so was rather chaotic. I had thought only one of the 5 citrus trees grafted to root stock had survived but I think I was wrong. One branch has fruit developing on it. Two others no fruit but they have some have wicked spines. It is nice and cleaned up now.

I also completed a flow chart describing the heirs of our estate. The Princess sent off a pdf of it to our advisor with the quip "Can you tell this was drawn up by an engineer?"

Oh. I did return to the scene of the injury and did more chiseling and digging. I am back in the game!

Doing something (most) every day.

Ben

I also had to run to Wally World and spend $15 on one of those little bluetooth things that plugs in the cigarette lighter and lets your old regular car radio stream music from your phone.
Those exist? I never heard of them. I am looking for one as soon as I post this message.
Thank you.

shopping and probably swimming today, have to go shopping, the swimming depends on how much time we have left

my computer is no longer staying charged. I just got it a few years ago. How annoying. I ordered a new battery and cable hopefully we can figure out how to install it, if not I have to wait for daughter to come visit and do it ( she was a IT tech before joining the Navy) but just in case I ordered a new computer. We need a backup anyway. Husband has a 10 year old Apple computer and me 3 10 plus year old laptops I had for backup are now so old you can't even get online with them anymore. I usually buy cheap refurbished ones but I looked and the new Dell I ordered was only $100 more than a refurbished one that wasn't total crap
What do you all use to get online? Just curious

Latest posts

Back