What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another book arrived for my rather odd and eclectic library:
Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 10.08.05 PM.png

https://a.co/d/9u0qd8t

Sick tonight, felt bad for a couple days but didn’t know the cause. Found out last night… food poisoning. For some bizarre reason fp has always been slow acting for me. Simmers a few days before all heck breaks loose, and the pain begins. I usually don’t have nausea with fp, don’t feel hungry but the pain will knot me up like a pretzel. Anyway, my herbs seem to be winning the war, colloidal silver was a big help. Tried it this afternoon, feeling a bit better tonight. In fact, time for another dose now...

Oh, big news, celebrated dad's 90th bday. I couldn't eat but did watch him blow out candles.

Temps today = 45/30F... Next week predicted to be 50+/30F.. Record temps for here.. Enjoying it, but starting to worry about this spring..
==
My favorite thing when rendering pork lard was to trim it into strips. Separate out the stringy tissue, chill it then course grind.. Then when the lard is rendered out in the slow cooker it leaves snow white lard.. Then fry the grindings and use like crispy bacon..

Spent the afternoon shopping for a sport coat for K. We tried 2 stores and found one. The department stores are making the switch from winter clothing to spring/summer. We wanted a winter sport coat. Ended up ordering one with Macys. Every time I tried finding a salesperson to help us they blew us off or waved us away. I ended up finding a nice lady to help when I mentioned we were interested in a $500 designer sport coat but wanted to see it in store rather than order it online. She ended up helping us find one we liked better (and was much cheaper since it was from 'last' season). It is sad I had to use the possible sale of a high end item just to get someone to pay attention to us.

K is still in shock with how much money we did end up paying total for the coat, sweater and dress shirt. K is a Kirkland $13 jeans kind of guy so spending a little bit on clothing he will only wear a handful of times bothers him. He needed them either way.

Spent the day yesterday down home with my Dad who is just out of hospital. Today woke with a sore throat and coughing, so either I picked up something of my flu is coming back on me. Very annoying.
An easy Sunday, I think. I've a load of recipes tried from Pinterest and various places, so going to write them up in my recipe book for easy access. Last day of the shooting season here, blustery and grey.

failed to make a fire this morning, it went out. Husband working on it now. We got a new batch of wood from some guy last week, I think maybe it is not all the way dry. Or my starter wood was too wet

it was pouring last night. Nothing on radar now but it is still raining. This happens a lot, the radar is not correct. Sometimes it rains and nothing is there, sometimes it looks like it should be raining but it isn't. So either the radar is off or the location map they use

so the barn will be a mess and we will have to work around the animals
we did let them out yesterday for the morning before it started pouring

still have not started on taxes, it's just data entry but I don't enjoy doing it

We ended up playing the farm game yesterday evening. I lost LOL, not very good at accumulating points. I am good at getting lots of food and animals but son has figured out how to use cards that come with the game and get extra buildings, people and bonus points. He had like twice the points at the end I had, Husband was not far behind him. I think I am way better at playing cards

Yesterday morning I started to do our taxes, I usually buy TurboX, we keep all the old disks and returns on the shelf, when I went to buy the software online I discovered that it is all online now... I don't like it.. but I will use it. I really don't like it that at every step they want to sell you an "upgrade".

The weather has moved in a bit, winds out of the North and rain, it's still to warm for snow.

Went to use the wife's computer last night, nothing, the screen flashes but it is un-usable. I checked to see if it was the monitor and it appears to be shot. I think that the power outages finally did it in. I should have gotten her a UPS a long time ago, but I was cheap and didn't.. Now I need to replace the monitor and get a UPS :( . At lest I am learning from my mistakes.

The wife was wanting to make a pot of beans and requested a ham-hoc... I went to 3 places nothing... I did find smoked pork necks (they were cheap so I grabbed a package), I wonder if they will work as a substitute?

My emergency power battery bank is a little low, with heavy cloud cover solar is near useless, so I going to set it to "grid" mode and turn on the charger... Having options is always a good thing...

Today will bring a tear to my eye and joy to my heart
My niece, has completed 4 years of electrical trade school will be graduated and if the final test is passed will receive her state journeyman’s license
I am giving her my gang box of my old tools because I am not going to use them anymore

I know the NFL has been on the other side of the fence for far too long but.....
I will be watching football and thinking positive thoughts about the Lions.
I made a shirt to wear. Yup, those are question marks. If things work out I will put white exclamation marks over the question marks.
One game at a time.
Let's Go Lions!!!
1706464557120.png

@Frodo its awesome that your niece is going into electrical trade. We need more people in the trades.

Been resting today. Lower back doesn't like me. Put in a curbside order for samsclub that is supposed to be ready around 2pm. We'll see if its done on time. Will pickup chinese takeout and grab an online order from Lowes for my friend.

Mucus is not as bad as it was yesterday.

Today will bring a tear to my eye and joy to my heart
My niece, has completed 4 years of electrical trade school will be graduated and if the final test is passed will receive her state journeyman’s license
I am giving her my gang box of my old tools because I am not going to use them anymore
Is she going to be able to find electrical problems by Fluke Too

Let me see, being a bit of a smart a$$, maybe drinking a Coffee, working on the little tractor,

Changing oil in a couple generators today. Last night around 10pm I went outside and heard the main generator shut down. Something was wrong, it should have ran for another two hours before shutting down. Turns out it ran out of fuel. Dang, with these new solar panels and battery bank I haven't had to add fuel for several months. So I pumped in 50 gallons of fuel, bled the air out of the system and restarted the generator. All is good again.

Also going through my books today. I've got a box full of books that I've already read that I'm throwing away. This will give me more room to put my antique books up on the shelf. When I'm done here I'm going out to set a few ermine traps.
Curious what you do with the furs. Do you sell them or fabricate into final products--coats, hats, mitts?

Curious what you do with the furs. Do you sell them or fabricate into final products--coats, hats, mitts?
Both. Most I sell. A lot I'm saving because I plan on tanning them and making projects. For example, the wife wants a beaver bed spread with arctic fox trim. Plus she'd like a bobcat vest, and I'd like to make a muskrat coat for the grand daughter. Years ago when we raised silver fox, we made a lot of hats, ear muffs, wraps etc.

Passed my practical air brakes test. Killing time in a hotel room waiting to do my first aid course tomorrow.
soon you too will have a Q , funny thing the air course, now that everything except some low beds has self adjusters, you need an air course, way back when I first got my Class 1, there was 1 air question on the test, , back then it would have been important to know, instead of learn by trial and error, Still it is really good to know.

Still putting the little tractor 2 back together , I got lazy and used new bolts on the fan instead of digging thru junk for too long.

Both. Most I sell. A lot I'm saving because I plan on tanning them and making projects. For example, the wife wants a beaver bed spread with arctic fox trim. Plus she'd like a bobcat vest, and I'd like to make a muskrat coat for the grand daughter. Years ago when we raised silver fox, we made a lot of hats, ear muffs, wraps etc.
The moment I read “beaver bedspread” I thought about Norwegian skinnfells. They are usually sheepskins with a woven backing. Making one of those is on my grandiose weaver’s project list but I will never be able to decide on the weave structure I would make for the backing. The fur spread sounds so luxurious.

Also going through my books today. I've got a box full of books that I've already read that I'm throwing away. This will give me more room to put my antique books up on the shelf. When I'm done here I'm going out to set a few ermine traps.
Might donate them to the local thrift store 😉

Gorgeous day although the mountains are getting the same warm weather so the snow caps are coming off quickly! Hope there’s more cold and snow (at least in the mountains) or we’ll be in for a dry summer.
Went to church ⛪️ canceled last week due to weather so was pretty full this week which was good to see.
Went and saw FIL who got a hip and is rehab. Now sitting on my caboose.

Hey @INresponse Lions were off to a good start anyway. (I don’t follow but it was on every screen at the rehab facility.)

Latest posts

Back