What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, I have to sort through my junk and decide what to build the log forks for my little loader tractor, and process some wood.

Spent the morning at the infectious disease docs. Husband's midline wouldn't push meds last night, so we were up till all hrs. Tried again for thing early morning, but nope. Luckily it was just the end portion of the midline that malfunctioned, and he didn't need to have a whole new one put in. So back home, he missed two infusions, back on schedule. Leaving to pick up his inhaled meds at the pharmacy in the bigger town, get the truck gassed up, and maybe stop in at the bin store or DG. We'll see. Coffee first.

The whole family went upstairs to get some cleaning/packing/purging done. It was suppose to be a short chore to get motivated but we spent 2+ hours working. K is still up there finishing up a bit with the girls. I had to come down to sit. My asthma was going nuts from the dust and lint.

K was sorting through our linens. I had set up a system before the last move to store our bed linens in these large rolling totes. Over the recent years K has been just tossing the linens in whatever tote mixing up our stuff with the kids stuff and losing pillowcases and blankets. Now we are almost back to where we were 5 years ago but I need to replace some of the totes since the kids have busted the lids and bottoms out of them climbing them or jumping on them.

I got the random junk stacked up on the trunks at the foot of our bed and sorted it/tossed it. I got a lot of junk out of our room and in to a box to donate. Still have some junk in the corner of our room to go through but the bulk of the mess is gone. Soon I will start packing up my cobalt collection. It has grown in the last few years so I will need another box and more bubble wrap. Glad I have been saving the packing materials from Amazon packages.

So about dark tonight I decided to go out and make sure all of our check dams were holding good after it had rained all day. Keep in mind the area we are working in is straight up in the woods maybe a couple miles from the nearest highway. No homes even close in a deep hollar. I’m standing there watching the water run through the check damn and I hear a woman’s voice. At first I questioned what I was hearing but turned around anyway and there was a sharply dressed older woman coming down the hill towards me through the woods. She walks up and tells me she is lost and asks if I could help her? She tells me that she had got in a fight with her daughter and the daughter had pulled over on the highway and she had got out of the car and took off walking through the woods. I had to carry her across the creek and got her in the truck. She tells me she is from Arlington Texas and is staying in the area and the arrived last night. She looks in her phone and and gives me the address to the rental she is staying in. It was maybe 10 miles away so I head that way. The woman started talking and never shut up the entire drive and I quickly figured out I had a crazy woman on my hands literally bat **** crazy! I dropped her off at the rental and was happy to have her out of my truck! I can’t imagine what would have happened to her if we hadn’t crossed paths. I’ve stayed out in these woods a lot in my life and I damn sure wouldn’t wanted to be out there tonight with just the clothes on my back.

Fed the cows, went to the grocery store with my brother. He cooked for me when we got home and then I cooked for Mom.
It was in the 60s temperature range so it wasn't bad. We actually got a bit of sunlight for awhile after all the rain.
I'm currently resting with the kitties curled up against me.

Had the arborist out to go over what we need to do for pruning and removal. Blargh. Expensive, but needs done, our last two arborists have done a lousy job, and neither of us feel capable of dealing with big trees on our own.

Finally got the touch-up paint on the kitchen cabinets. I no longer want to scream when I walk into my kitchen because of all the little nicks and dings making it look filthy. Progress. Ended up going out to dinner, though, because the timing was such that the cabinets were still drying when I would have been cooking.

Took a stab at partially cleaning the computer space — half of it’s mine, half of it’s his. I have an old computer that really needs to be recycled (battery issues) and I need to make sure I really truly have everything off of it. I feel like Windows is much worse about putting your saved stuff in all kinds of weird places than Mac was — but since I can’t use my paid-for no-subscription Adobe products on a Mac any more (they don’t work with the last several OSes), Windows it is.

Been slowly redoing our iTunes library on my Windows box, too. We have a pretty large stack of music CDs, which I’m grateful we have. I absolutely don’t trust streaming services to continue to keep the stuff we like available.

Tomorrow will be a trip to Goodwill to drop off built-up stuff. Maybe we’ll go hunting for better shelving for the sewing-arts-crafts space, we’ll see.

Sending good luck and well-wishes to everyone!

I have trees to deal with here also, it's just so expensive. Husband deals with most but these require the big guns.

Just dropped daughter to work, as it's nice out- ie not raining- I'm going to pull the last of the cabbages for the pheasants and bed them down. Found some carrots outside growing also, so think I'll use them up in a soup or maybe carrot cake- they are really wonky. Last night I boiled up peelings etc for the hens so fresh bedding for them too. The entrance is muddy to their pen, so I'm thinking of laying some pallets or something. Need to see what we have. Also want to get some more hens, so doing to dig out the old moveable pen for the newbies, have it clean and ready for them. Half an hour in the polytunnel wouldn't go astray either. I have a load of buckets that collected rainwater off an overhang so they need emptying in a spare barrel I set up. I'll restock the forge with turf and wood also, and take the dogs for a run in the woods. I'll try and get photos. After that- I have a hat to finish and another bit of my thesis to do. Happy Friday! :D

I'm off today, it is almost spring like weather mid 60s (F) and fog, wife has a 08:00 Dr.s appointment, she had 3 scheduled but the afternoon one canceled yesterday... I might go for a walk in the afternoon if I can find my warm weather gear. Things winding down a bit and there is a lot of clean-up to do, again.

Had the arborist out to go over what we need to do for pruning and removal. Blargh. Expensive, but needs done, our last two arborists have done a lousy job, and neither of us feel capable of dealing with big trees on our own.

Finally got the touch-up paint on the kitchen cabinets. I no longer want to scream when I walk into my kitchen because of all the little nicks and dings making it look filthy. Progress. Ended up going out to dinner, though, because the timing was such that the cabinets were still drying when I would have been cooking.

Took a stab at partially cleaning the computer space — half of it’s mine, half of it’s his. I have an old computer that really needs to be recycled (battery issues) and I need to make sure I really truly have everything off of it. I feel like Windows is much worse about putting your saved stuff in all kinds of weird places than Mac was — but since I can’t use my paid-for no-subscription Adobe products on a Mac any more (they don’t work with the last several OSes), Windows it is.

Been slowly redoing our iTunes library on my Windows box, too. We have a pretty large stack of music CDs, which I’m grateful we have. I absolutely don’t trust streaming services to continue to keep the stuff we like available.

Tomorrow will be a trip to Goodwill to drop off built-up stuff. Maybe we’ll go hunting for better shelving for the sewing-arts-crafts space, we’ll see.

Sending good luck and well-wishes to everyone!
Before recycling a computer, I pull the hard drive. Only way to truly make it "unrecoverable" is to break the platter.

not raining today, everyone goes out and I am debating if I should even make a fire. But if I don't we have no hot water and have to take a bucket bath . Too cold for cold shower. It's fine in summer but not now.

I never started on the taxes yesterday did laundry instead and took the dog for a hike. It was warm enough to wear a t shirt.

Fed the cows, went to the grocery store with my brother. He cooked for me when we got home and then I cooked for Mom.
It was in the 60s temperature range so it wasn't bad. We actually got a bit of sunlight for awhile after all the rain.
I'm currently resting with the kitties curled up against me.
glad you are feeling better!

I might go to the Sportsman show today.
Then again I might not. Haven't made up mu mind.

Edit:
Sportsman's show was good.
I booked a nighttime walleye fishing trip with the same guy I went with last February.
They had the usual display of really expensive boats.
For only $889 a month for 240 months you too could have a brand new boat. o_O
Of course you will need to buy all the extras like electronics, trolling motor, safety equipment, and of course fishing gear.

Last edited:
put the first log thru my processor 2.7 this morning, After I got the power unit out of hibernation, one would think that stuff I rescue from the junk parts pile would be more enthusiastic. After I go get another log in I will take some pictures and post them in My firewood stuff thread, And maybe get somewhere on the loader fork project

Drank coffee. Went “swimming” at the hot springs. Went back to the hot springs to find my watch I forgot. Baked scones. Making a batch of granola cereal.i think another cup of coffee is on the list and we have friends stopping by in a bit to partake in the eating of the scones. I might wander about the garden while the sun is shining and daydream a bit.
IMG_3030.jpeg

Today is bread day.
So I have two loaves of English Muffin Bread on first rise.
Got 1 dozen of hot rolls on first rise.
Got one loaf of white bread on first rise.
Pulling together the ingredients for home made cinnamon rolls.
Been making Christmas Candy, trying to make a bit each month until October.
So far I have made small batches of Mounds Bars, Almond Joy, chocolate covered almonds, chocolate covered pretzels,chocolate covered cherries.
Started my new cooking class........learning how to make old fashion candy, something different.
I only cook two days a week but eat several days out of cooking day. And also stock my freezer at the same time.

Did a lot of cleaning and some organizing today, also canned 5 qts of hamburger. Took out ground turkey that we butchered and ground a few months back and will can that next. Glad it's Friday, no school driving tomorrow, but still have a 6:30 am infusion to do, and need to do one at 10:30 tonight. The specialty pharmacy in Wichita delivered another week's infusion supplies. Got them to change the box of gloves to a size large. Either they're making the medium smaller, or I just have man hands. Ha. I've got to go get feed tomorrow, didn't want to go out today, because it would break the day up too much. Chicken bread cooking in the oven (bread for chickens).

I heard a cat fight before the sun came up and couldn't find 2 of my cats so I got a flashlight and went out to look for them. They both came running to me so I got them inside and fed them. Played around on my computer looking at pictures. I cooked for Mom and then my brother cooked for me. Then the thunderstorms started. I'll probably take a nap soon since they tend to lull me to sleep. Still coughing up mucus but its not as bad as it had been.
Chatted online with my friend about future renovation plans for his house. If he gives me measurements I'll draw them up in sketchup.

Latest posts

Back