What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These coons we just skinned and fed the carcasses to the dogs. I've eaten coon before and they are tasty. We'll probably start eating some of the coons I catch this spring.
Raccoon are carriers of Baylisascaris infection it is caused by a roundworm found in raccoons that can infect people and other animals. It can cause serious complications if it invades the eye, organs or brain. I wouldn't feed my animals raccoon. And I wouldn't eat it either. But that is me.

Skated on jury duty. Phew! Not that I don’t appreciate the necessity of my civic duty, but I sure never actually want to do it. They took about a hundred people and didn’t call me.

So I got my allergy shots rather than being stuck in the jury room, and spent the rest of the day doing a bit of cleaning, filled up the car, got foiled on getting it washed because the car wash was down, and working on finishing up some minis to gift the family for Christmas. (I’m way ahead, I know, but crafting takes time. Besides, I still had Christmas spirit rolling when I started. 😅)

Tomorrow will be gym and PT and more cleaning, and Thursday will involve finding another arborist, because $3K to trim trees is yikes.
I got notice of Jury duty for early spring time. Hopefully I will be able to get out of it , it's baby season for me.

today we have to go pick up the Traverse , I am so happy not another $1000 repair bill....
taking animals out, but there is a chance of rain but not that cold so it's ok. They have shelters they can go into and the goats can just go in the barn
I should take some photos one of these days of our farm, don't usually carry my phone around when we working
thinking about getting sawdust but again, not sure if it is going to rain
not doing anything else today, my back still hurts, well take dog for hike that won't hurt my back

A plumber coming over this morning to measure my shower/bathtub because I'm thinking about getting a new one with just a shower and not a bathtub. Midday I'm going 20 miles north of here for physical therapy on my lower back and look at new Toyotas....I'm thinking about buying a new car sometime this year. This evening I'm going to a church function.

Last edited:
I had a couple of days of sleeping. Couldn't stay awake for even 30min at a time. Just felt absolutely awful. I did manage to fix Mom's bathroom faucet (aerator was clogged with debris after the pipe broke), fed the cows, fed the kitties, cleaned the hallway a little.

Weather alert woke me at 5am. Flooding in the area. Roads are closed until after my doctor's appointment was scheduled so I'll have to reschedule. Landline is out-- possibly from the flooding-- but AT&Ts diagnostic website seems to be down permanently. I think they are not supporting landlines as much anymore even though they charge me about $90 a month for it. It had been $35 but they raised the rates astronomically.

Not feeling like absolute garbage. I think the resting helped. Got the mucus cleared out of my chest and am a little tired, but not feeling so terrible. I think I'm on the mend. Just hope my brother won't bring home any respiratory crud again.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Colonoscopy at 12:30.
Freezing rain right now not. I hope it's over by the time we leave for the hospital.
I wish more people would consider getting a colonoscopy. It saves so many lives. I just wish my sister would have listened to me!

Yesterday I worked downtown, spoke with my supervisor who has been away since last June doing another job. They were given the job permanent like and won't be coming back. They realize that I have been doing doing their job and mine for over 8 months now, and hope that I will apply when the supervisor job opens up...in a few months. But until then, I need to keep doing both jobs.

I'm getting ready to start traveling again so I need to finish all my automation projects around the house.

Next month I will be spending a week down in @Bacpacker 's country, now that could be interesting :).
Don’t do the supervision job
Why should they give you extra pay and call it a promotion when you are willing to do the job for less pay?
I guess it really depends on the co. And their intergity

Just got Dad home from the oral surgeon. That implant broke off just below the apex which is still in the bone. All is OK, the surgeon puts in one extra implant so nothing has to be done except a little laser cutting around one of the other ones. His gums are aggressive healers evidently. Doctor is contacting the implant maker—he’s never seen one do what dad’s did. Probably a defective one but they are made of titanium.

Going to work this afternoon.

Yesterday I worked downtown, spoke with my supervisor who has been away since last June doing another job. They were given the job permanent like and won't be coming back. They realize that I have been doing doing their job and mine for over 8 months now, and hope that I will apply when the supervisor job opens up...in a few months. But until then, I need to keep doing both jobs.

I'm getting ready to start traveling again so I need to finish all my automation projects around the house.

Next month I will be spending a week down in @Bacpacker 's country, now that could be interesting :).
Hope we get a chance to have a face to face while you are down here.

Havasu, I'm sorry about your sister.

Tommyice, I'm glad the oral surgeon was able to put in a new implant for your father.

Frodo, whenever the surgery is, I hope it goes well. In the meantime I hope the ulcer doesn't cause you too much grief.

Just got back from the store and post office. Quick run. My brother just messaged me because he's on his way home from work and asked if I needed anything from the store. I did forget something small so I asked him to grab it.

Mom's blood sugar is over 370 but she is refusing to take insulin or do anything right now. She's crabby and told me to go away. I'm hoping my brother can help me get her to cooperate.

Don’t do the supervision job
Why should they give you extra pay and call it a promotion when you are willing to do the job for less pay?
I guess it really depends on the co. And their intergity
The supervisor job title always looks good on a resume. I generally wouldn't hire someone who stayed on the same job too long without advancing.

I picked up my favorite cousin, and we went to grab milkshakes and to visit my mom and other relatives at the Mennonite Manor. Mom enjoyed the shake, but thought my cousin was her grandma. Visited quite a few people there, and had a great afternoon doing that. Visited three 100 yr olds....Uncle Melvin, Clara, and Fern.
Glad all went well, Backlash.
Got 5 qts of spaghetti sauce canned today.

The supervisor job title always looks good on a resume. I generally wouldn't hire someone who stayed on the same job too long without advancing.
Yeah, BUT. I was a "Senior researcher" from 1996 till I retired in 2015. Had a ton of roles, I was a "global project manager / Global Material Developer" for the last 17 years, I turned down a 💩load of "promotions", you get the title, the headaches, but no more money, or no OT. I stuck with a Hourly Non exempt employee, and retired at 55.

My manager wouldn't let me work overtime after she saw my hourly rate for OT :p

Last edited:
Yeah, BUT. I was a "Senior researcher" from 1996 till I retired in 2015. Had a ton of roles, I was a "global project manager / Global Material Developer" for the last 10 years, I turned down a 💩load of "promotions", you get the title, the headaches, but no more money, or no OT. I stuck with a Hourly Non exempt employee, and retired at 55.

My manager wouldn't let me work overtime after she saw my hourly rate for OT :p
Similarly here. I rose to senior ... Architect and was stuck for 15 years or so until I retired because there was no higher designation.

But then again, I was retiring anyway

Ben

For the last 8 years I have had 4 "Official" Job titles (at the same time) and have received lots of raises and am pretty much topped out my pay scale (no more promotion potential). I have 17 years on the job (I have 29 years working for this organization) and will be retiring in 4 no matter what. During my time as "Acting" supervisor (5th job title) I have enjoyed the strategic planning and have been able to keep up with all of my other duties. If I were to become the Official Supervisor, it would come with a promotion and I would have to unload most of my other roles. I'm a pretty plain and stable working stiff who just manages to get the job done on time with the available resources. At any given time I usually manage about 25 active projects, so I stay busy enough. I don't like being micro-managed and if I were to let someone else take the Supervisor position they would most likely make the end of my career a miserable tug of war, (everyone thinks that their opinion is the only way to do things). On the other hand, I have always wanted to have my career peak right at the very end, so taking that position would keep me on that trajectory.

To be honest, right now my primary motivation is "stuff", new truck, need a new roof, want new flooring, and the wife has her list too, and I want to retire with absolutely no debt. As for improving my resume, well I started working in 68" and have never taken a break, the first 15 years were minimum wage jobs, then I went back to college for my engineering degree, got my Masters while working, and I have enough awards hanging on the wall to cause building maintenance to notice the wall sagging... :) No, I assume that my next "resume" will be written in stone...

I went as high as I could go as a mechanic, machinist, welder, fabricator & safety inspector. You could not give me twice what my supervisor made to do his job. He was between a rock & a hard place. With 150 to 200 hours of over time, I made close what he made with out the pain.

rain rain rain, it's pouring outside
animals will all stay in, its not cold but pouring and I don't want them soaking wet, then it gets cold and they get sick
so we will have to rotate them around in the barn
today is the first morning I did not make a fire in the stove, it's not that cold. I will make one later to cook on and to heat out water
need to start on our taxes , so will probably do that today

Dollar store is closing to be remodeled & everything half priced.
I dumpster dive
Keep an eye on that dumpster
I guarantee they are tossing stuff out

This is the law
If the dumpster has a lock. Stay away
If sign is posted stay away

No lock no sign
Dive in and have fun

Top. Get a paint roller and stick toss the roller nap keep only the metal part
The roller can be used to “hook” stuff and drag it to you

Back