What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're cheaper because they are generic and not custom made. I have three of those. I also have a $4000.00 saddle from my endurance racing days. It's a custom treeless saddle that allowed me to meet the 'must use a saddle rule' and still have a little contact with the horse. I was even able to use it at the Cairo race track.

I am a bareback rider by nature. I hate saddles. Another bone of contention I always ran into with people, was a loose cinch. Mine hang loose. I use a pad that stays in place when the horse starts to sweat a bit. I can ride some crazy horses with it. They calm down when they aren't cinched up tight and don't have a bit.
So really what you are saying is that you can actually ride,

More sorting, purging and organizing. I made a quick run to Costco to get more bins. The place was already crowded with people shopping for Super Bowl Sunday.
Sounds like you’re making good progress on the organizing front!

They're cheaper because they are generic and not custom made. I have three of those. I also have a $4000.00 saddle from my endurance racing days. It's a custom treeless saddle that allowed me to meet the 'must use a saddle rule' and still have a little contact with the horse. I was even able to use it at the Cairo race track.

I am a bareback rider by nature. I hate saddles. Another bone of contention I always ran into with people, was a loose cinch. Mine hang loose. I use a pad that stays in place when the horse starts to sweat a bit. I can ride some crazy horses with it. They calm down when they aren't cinched up tight and don't have a bit.
Reminded me of a funny: one time when I was in HS I was just going to hop on my horse to run down to the neighbor’s and cut through the field. I hopped on with no saddle or halter. Well it was summer and she was fat as a tic. She started to trot. Well you see, I’m not very tall and she was about 17 hands. I couldn’t “hang on.” 😂. Ended up jumping then she stopped and I got back on. I was almost laughing too hard. Told her she needed to be on a diet.

Sounds like you’re making good progress on the organizing front!
I am, thank you, but there is still a long way to go. Everyday I am doing something whether it is organizing stuff in bins, printing out labels, tossing away stuff that should have been gone before now, and a little cleaning while I'm at it. My house was a mess. Much of it still is, but my goal was to do this, get my house in order, cleaned up, and in better shape. Before I get out of bed everyday I am thinking about what things I can accomplish. I'm not going hard all day every day. I'm just going at it one step at a time in between appointments.

It was just a med in a syringe. I couldn't push or pull anything from his IV, and even let heparin sit in there for awhile. That usually works, but didn't. Alteplase is one they use. So now I'm doing Saline push, then the antibiotic in a five min push, then saline again, then 2 mil of heparin, and doing this every six hrs. Before we just used the heparin on the fourth time. Have another week of this round, it's been a three week round. There's not much to be trained for, it's just getting access to the med.
We do saline followed by heparin once a day, every day... We have had 2 times when I had to do the push pull thing with an syringe, really nerve racking business. I hope the procedures go well for you guys... Will keep you in our prayers.

I just saw on Toby Keith's FB page...
1707210095688.png

I didn't want to start a new thread, just thought I would share. Maybe someone else may choose to do so. He was a great man.

Last edited:
plan on going shopping today

I am pretty sure Otto ate half a firestarter. He threw up a little bit yesterday and I couldn't figure out why because he was not outside on his own and nothing in the house for him to chew up, except my half a firestarter was missing this morning. So only thing I can figure out he ate it . Hope he will be ok. Will call vet when he opens. I didn't see him eat it, maybe he just ate some of it and dropped it somewhere so not sure what to do, but I looked and didn't see it anywhere else

plan on going shopping today

I am pretty sure Otto ate half a firestarter. He threw up a little bit yesterday and I couldn't figure out why because he was not outside on his own and nothing in the house for him to chew up, except my half a firestarter was missing this morning. So only thing I can figure out he ate it . Hope he will be ok. Will call vet when he opens. I didn't see him eat it, maybe he just ate some of it and dropped it somewhere so not sure what to do, but I looked and didn't see it anywhere else
Please update!

Work has been crazy this week. More stuff keeps rolling in for my guys to do. Having a hard time doing the day to day work and fitting in the new stuff. Got a meeting in the morning to figure out what we need and to do to help out one of our customers. Meet with another guy Thursday to do more planning on our last BDA installation later this year. Got to figure out roof penetrations and to figure out how to make a coax run into the basement. That building has 2 wings and 7 floors. I've got the Vendor for the BDAs coming down wekk after next to help us figure out how to make all the runs and where to place all the internal equipment. I'm hoping the 10 units I have planned are enough. I submitted the order 3 weeks ago and purchasing is holding it up since I didn't get other bids for the equipment. We've used this gear on 9 other buildings and they work perfectly. We use these to support the fire department when they have to go into dead areas. Mandated that we finish by end of September and purchasing is holding things up. It takes this company 12 weeks to build them. Sometimes they drive me nuts.
Got home and burned off my asparagus fronds from last year. Garlic is up nicely, and I forgot I had planted a few shallots. They are growing well too.

Workity work work. Beginning to get tax info together - seems like everybody is running late this year :rolleyes:
I'm getting caught up a bit. Have some things by week's end, but some hurry up and wait going on also.
Otherwise, we were fogged in this morning but this afternoon, it's finally burned off and high clouds which is wonderful to see.
Beautiful Tuesday to y'all.

Just got home from my shopping trip. Yesterday we had snow, then rain, then freezing rain. The roads we very slick when I left home at 7.30. Anyway, I picked up a 3 drawer oak cabinet, a butcher block counter top, a 4" vice, an oscillating saw, more tools, lumber and a bunch of other needful things. I'm getting the fur shed looking pretty nice, and much better organized.
Since we have very little snow left here, I'm going to start on the chicken coop expansion. I recently bought a solar panel so I can add lights inside the coop. Just need to buy a deep cycle marine battery and a couple lights.

I spent another afternoon pruning fruit trees. Apple trees can be a challenge if I skip a year. There is definitely no central in an apple tree. There is a legacy pear tree that is 40' or more tall. Too tall to harvest the fruit. I girdled it about 7' above the ground. There was an explosion of growth below the girdle. I removed a lot of the water sprouts.

Sent of the taxes to the CPA then picked up a bag of soil since I am due to start onions and leeks in about 2 weeks.

Tomorrow more pruning is planned.

Ben

Please update!
sorry, busy ! We got back late from shopping

He is fine, maybe he only ate a little and lost the rest somewhere. I made him a bowl of rice, pumpkin and egg and he ate the entire bowl . Went out and played too. But man, this dog has a death wish....he eats ALL sorts of crap! Worse than a 2 year old LOL

sorry, busy ! We got back late from shopping

He is fine, maybe he only ate a little and lost the rest somewhere. I made him a bowl of rice, pumpkin and egg and he ate the entire bowl . Went out and played too. But man, this dog has a death wish....he eats ALL sorts of crap! Worse than a 2 year old LOL
He's almost two!!😃😉 Shepherds are vacuums!! Glad he's ok!!♥️

Took the pup in for his last puppy shots yesterday. He was 15 # at 9 weeks. Now 6 weeks later he’s 32#. If he doubles again in the next 6 weeks, we might need a gofundme for food 😂. He’s a pretty high strung little critter as you can see.
View attachment 124108
♥️♥️♥️ Look at those feet!!! Hopefully he calms down some !! 😃😃😃

2/6/2024...
Temps today 58/37F... This predicted all week and cooler over the weekend...

I guess I have a job... Went to the local food shelf to volunteer a bit today as it is delivery day there from the local grocery stores.. I helped sort bags of potatoes, lettice, limes, and salad mix packages.. Got done with that and they said ...next Tuesday we will have a name tag and time clock password for you, if you want to come back... I made out like a bandit as I got coffee and homemade banana bread someone brought in.. Not a hard job and will help keep me out of trouble somewhere else I guess..

I have 3 kinds of beans, onion, brown sugar, BBQ sauce ready for the slow cooker to take to the Super Bowl pot luck here in the building this weekend.. Won't watch the game.. Will do the pot luck and likely do laundry after.. Should have the laundry room to myself likely... Time for a cup of Tetley tea, an apple, and 10pm news...

Latest posts

Back