What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slept decent last night but woke up at 5:30. Ordered several canisters of pepper gel, max strength, for the girls to carry on their walks. They already have small pepper spray to carry but those only reach 10 feet and the mist can come back at you if the wind is in your face. After lasts week scare I told the girls to spray at any dog that comes out in the street in an aggressive manner. Of course the dogs they know and just like to bark for attention are not a concern but the various uncontrolled dogs are going to be educated real quick. In the street, barking aggressively, approaching the girls, spray them. There will be several dog owners getting educated when their dog coms home painted red and smelling of OC spray. I have warned them to keep the dogs fenced in or on a leash, I even suggested a good, affordable electronic fence system.
I still haven't ruled out a .22 revolver with a few rounds of bird shot followed by several hollow points, but I really hope that wont be necessary. Not that I care about these uncontrolled aggressive dogs, I just don't want the girls to deal with any backlash, even if justified.

Chiropractor last night got some good movement in my neck that felt great. Today my neck muscles are telling me they do not like there new home. I guess they got used to being in the wrong place. I will do my stretches before work and try to make them less annoyed.

Vacuumed out car and wiped down all the plastic w/ conditioner. Looks sooo much better. It had gotten pretty sketchy with all the weather over the past month.
Now to print out all sorts of reports and download onto flash drive what I can there in prep for taxes 🙏

Fire! the woods are on fire for miles on each side of my house. Even my yard caught fire but i got it put out quickly. Only burned a little spot by the mail box.

A neighbor down the road saw a guy pulling a trailer loaded with scrap metal. Said the tires were flat on one side of the trailer. Idiots!

3 volunteer fire depts are involved along with 2 municipal units from towns 20miles away.

Anyway, the farm next door, 2 of his pastures are on fire. A cousin's hayfield is burning, they had that one about put out when i drove by. Update later.

20240207_Fire 406sm .jpg
20240207_Fire 737ssm.jpg

Fire! the woods are on fire for miles on each side of my house. Even my yard caught fire but i got it put out quickly. Only burned a little spot by the mail box.

A neighbor down the road saw a guy pulling a trailer loaded with scrap metal. Said the tires were flat on one side of the trailer. Idiots!

3 volunteer fire depts are involved along with 2 municipal units from towns 20miles away.

Anyway, the farm next door, 2 of his pastures are on fire. A cousin's hayfield is burning, they had that one about put out when i drove by. Update later.

View attachment 124142View attachment 124143
Keep us posted....🙏

5 fire departments got here first (30min) then the state forestry commission showed up with bull dozers. Probably 20 acres burned total. All are out except one... a cousin set out 20 acres of pines about 5yrs ago. His pines are on fire but 2 dozers are working. Another cousin lost about 5 acres in 2 of his hay fields. Yet another cousin had her yard burn nearly to her door. Poor woman is 82yrs old, didn't need a scare like that... Most fires were less than an acre is size but there were 2 dozen of them scattered up 5miles of road.

Random shots...

20240207_150413a.jpg
20240207_150436a.jpg

These pines on the left are still burning...

20240207_150547a.jpg
20240207_150625a.jpg
20240207_150644a.jpg
20240207_150703a.jpg
20240207_150905a.jpg

Last edited:
I found the start... a wheel locked up on some guy's trailer. First pic.. can see the rubber burned into the pavement from the locked up wheel.

20240207_151117a.jpg

Burned lawn
20240207_151344a.jpg
20240207_151358a.jpg

Fired burned through this neighbors bee hives. Not the best place for bees. They are city people who moved out here a couple years ago, have goats, geese and now, crispy bees.

20240207_151622abb.jpg

I found the start... a wheel locked up on some guy's trailer. First pic.. can see the rubber burned into the pavement from the locked up wheel.

View attachment 124163

Burned lawn
View attachment 124164View attachment 124165

Fired burned through this neighbors bee hives. Not the best place for bees. They are city people who moved out here a couple years ago, have goats, geese and now, crispy bees.

View attachment 124166
Tire locked up and they kept on going - I'm just shaking my head.
I'm so sorry for all the land & home owners.

Tire locked up and they kept on going - I'm just shaking my head.
I'm so sorry for all the land & home owners.

It was beyond… kept on going! This guy took stupid to a whole new level! Once the tire was gone it was metal on pavement. He knew it!!! When the sparks were bad he’d run the rims on the shoulder of the road for a hundred yards then back on the road. This was an attempt to cool them off.

Guess what happens when you drag glowing hot metal through dead grass on the shoulder of the road? Idiot!!! Every burned place was where he'd run on the shoulder. 🤬

Last edited:
It was beyond… kept on going! This guy took stupid to a whole new level! Once the tire was gone it was metal on pavement. He knew it!!! When the sparks were bad he’d run the rims on the shoulder of the road for a hundred yards then back on the road. This was an attempt to cool them off.

Guess what happens when you drag glowing metal through dead grass on the shoulder of the road? Idiot!!! Every burned place was where he'd run on the shoulder. 🤬
When I was a child, our hometown was 19 miles from a reservation. When the natives received their benefits, they would drive to our town to buy liquor. It was not allowed to be sold on reservations then. I think it is now. There was a story of a car driving this 19 mile trip or part of it on rims one time. Such a sad thing to think about how addiction can cause people to be so determined to drive somewhere like that. I have more stories for another time.

A few years ago a guy was pulling a trailer on the highway and the same thing happened, tire locked up and overheated. Our property was about 12 miles from where the fire started. It was a non-adjoining property of a couple hundred acres. Every tree and stick was burned. I think the fire ended up burning over 300,000 acres. Fires are the only thing that really worries me.
Last summer the Forest Service had a controlled burn around 4 sides of our property. Several spot fires were started and they burned up about a quarter mile of fencing. Could have been worse.

Is it true that insurance will sometimes refuse to cover another driver's damages if their driver was drunk or otherwise intoxicated?

I'm catching up. I thought I had posted but guess I forgot.

Amish, I hope your husband gets feeling better and that the clotting doesn't happen again. I remember my dad had to have something put in his pic line to prevent it from clotting so he could get infusions. Not fun.

Tuesday I went to Alexandria with my brother to find him a suit for our friends' wedding. Stopped in JC Penney's first. yikes their stuff is expensive! My brother found a blazer that fit wonderfully-- Shaquille O'Neal brand. Unfortunately it was well over $300. Would likely have been $400+ with tax-- for just a blazer. Looked all over to find him a bright red shirt & there were only two. Of the two, only one fit him. The shirt alone was almost as much as it cost for my friend's entire suit. Friend's suit was $89 plus tax. Still had to get him a shirt, tie, & tie pin. Ok, didn't *have* to get the tie pin but it was under $10 and was so cool I couldn't pass it up. Our wedding gifts are his clothes and some jewelry the bride will wear. I'll be helping the bride with sewing some fake rose petals to her dress. Anyway, my brother almost got a blazer in Penney's but I said "This is the store we will pass through on the way out so lets look around first- I think I saw a suit shop just outside". It was in the mall. Did have an amusing time looking at shoes. He kept picking up hideous ones and saying "Zan Zan! I found the perfect shoes for you!" and we were laughing. Then he was all "Good GOD look at the prices! Oh HELL NO!" He did the "big man in a little man's jacket!" thing as he tried on some of the blazers. We ended up going to the suit shop. Employee walked out of the shop to talk to a friend because he must have thought we weren't serious about buying anything. He was still very nice to us when he came back in after I started calling for someone to come help. Needed to know the price on something. He knew prices, size ranges, and such. Only employee there apparently. The computer decided to shut down and needed to be rebooted, then the printer thing didn't want to work to print the receipt. He was a nice guy and was very friendly. Turned out a blazer and pants from that place was cheaper than a single blazer from Penney's. Suit fit my brother fine-- pants were a tad loose, but we got him suspenders from Hot Topic for cheap. And he got a discount on his shirt for applying for a credit card at Penney's that he will only use once, pay off, and then be done with. Went to a shoe store in the mall after that and found some discount shoes that actually fit me. I hate trying on shoes and shoe shopping. Had my brother sit down and watch TV in a resting section while I looked. Then I sat while he looked for shoes.

Our usual Chinese place is closed Tuesdays so I took my brother to another Chinese place our friend showed me. We both got fried rice and bourbon chicken. Then we went to Samsclub to grab some stuff. They were out of some of the stuff, but we at least got some things. I'll need to go back soon for water.

Had to cook for Mom before we left and then cooked again when we got back. I ate the leftover chinese food but I think that was a mistake. Must have sat too long. I was violently ill a few hours later. Stomach was hurting all the way through to my back, nausea, shivering. Threw up a few times. Woke up drenched in sweat. Still felt exhausted for most of the morning and afternoon. Got up to go to the post office and had my brother come with me to Walmart. He hadn't found shoes he liked and he thought he had a pair in his truck but couldn't find them. He found some at Walmart and we got groceries. Got home and cooked for Mom again. My stomach wasn't feeling well enough to eat until dinner time. Feeling better now though.

TL: DR? Took my brother clothes shopping for a wedding. Got groceries. Cooked for Mom. Got sick from leftovers. More grocery shopping & cooking. Feeling better now.

Good morning HC&L!! A warm start to the day, 58°! Bullfrogs and coyotes are yapping away outside!! Going to be a nice day!! Doing some laundry and will feed the critters in a couple hours. Regular work day, then getting some outside things done! Hopefully just a smooth day in the rut😃!

Delivered two presentations for Uni this week, nice to have them out of the way. Today and tomorrow will be studying (one of my essay topics will be focusing on Native American Literature) and of course, chores. I'm still sorting seeds and getting ready to plant some on my windowsills. This weekend myself and husband are heading away for a night, a gift for our thirty year anniversary back in Jan, held over for my birthday -going to see a Fleetwood Mac tribute band,really looking forward to it.

someone is up early cutting wood sounds like right next to the house , weird....
but sounds travel around here in weird ways, probably a neighbor

taxes finally done, need to just mail them
animal chores, cooking and today CDT shots for the pregnant sheep. They are due in a few weeks
Might start some seeds today today too we got potting soil a few days ago

Delivered two presentations for Uni this week, nice to have them out of the way. Today and tomorrow will be studying (one of my essay topics will be focusing on Native American Literature) and of course, chores. I'm still sorting seeds and getting ready to plant some on my windowsills. This weekend myself and husband are heading away for a night, a gift for our thirty year anniversary back in Jan, held over for my birthday -going to see a Fleetwood Mac tribute band,really looking forward to it.
are you a college professor or you are actually going to college ? What subject? Just curious
congrats on your anniversary!

glad your house is ok
wow, how can you not notice you have a flat tire and keep going? What an idiot

glad your house is ok , wow that totally sucks all the damage done because of this guy

Latest posts

Back