What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to church ⛪️ as I was driving, thought how sunny and beautiful it was for the first time in months. Figured there wouldn’t be many at church- I was right 😕. Came home and played out in the yard a bit. Got some things cleaned up which is nice. Amazing what snow hides 🤪

Church, then stopped at a friend's and picked up some junk for scrap metal. Then she came over and helped me load more junk into the trailer. I just can't do the heavy stuff by myself anymore. As I get time the next few days I'll finish sorting stuff and hopefully be able to run to the scrapyard by Thursday. It'll feel good to have more junk cleaned up, especially since there isn't any snow to hide it from sight anymore.
A little funny story, just illustrates life in a small town - my friend works with a woman who was asking if anyone had some extra boxes, as her daughter is moving. I had emptied about 25 boxes over the last couple of weeks and had them flattened and stacked in the garage. When my friend was here I asked if she knew anyone that needs boxes, and she says yes - and it turns out the daughter of her coworker is the one who bought my old house! So the boxes are going to get re-filled, and moved back to whence they came.

I started going through my trapping stuff today to see what I can get rid of. I don't need 600+ traps anymore. I'll never trap like I used too any more, at least not without a partner. It's hard to let some things go. Some of these traps are well over 100 years old. The wife thinks its time we should start downsizing.

I started going through my trapping stuff today to see what I can get rid of. I don't need 600+ traps anymore. I'll never trap like I used too any more, at least not without a partner. It's hard to let some things go. Some of these traps are well over 100 years old. The wife thinks its time we should start downsizing.
the way things are going those traps might become a very valuable barter item.

Yesterday seemed like a work day.. We made 2 casseroles for the freezer, then did 2 batches of canned chicken stock. In between doing that I managed to get 6 loads of laundry done.

Talked with my 90 year old step-dad last night, he is in the west and he gave control of his "estate" to my sister's kids... He is now in an assisted living facility, they cleaned out his house and apparently sold it for him. He sounded lost and discouraged.

This morning I was awakened early with elbow pain (both arms), so I got up an hour before the alarm to treat the issue when I heard a soft beeping... So now I am carefully walking around the house stalking the mysterious beep... I have devices on both floors that could beep, not the freezers, not the fridge, none of the battery UPS's are down, the emergency battery bank and inverter are fine, the wife's IV is still happy... Still Beep,,,,,,,, beep........ I finally found it, the wife had pinched her oxygen line and it was restricting the flow just enough to make the concentrator angry. Removed the kink and then things settled down, but now I am fully awake at 04:00 :(

I did that with a beep last week and it made me nuts. Turned out the fridge door was open just crack.
Doing husband's meds in a minute, taking the girls to school, animal feeding, then getting husband to his doc appt late morning. Hoping to do pharmacy pickup and Aldi shopping afterwards, we'll see.

I've only made it once before, and just dug out my recipe. What do you think?
Season lamb with salt, pepper, and thyme. Heat up olive oil in a large skillet, cook lambchops and some garlic over high heat until they are browned (3 min). Two min longer on the other side till browned, Take the chops out of the skillet, add 3 Tbsp water, 2 Tbs lemon juice, 2 Tbsp parsley, and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper to the skillet, cook a minute or so, then pour over the chops and serve. This is for 1/2 inch chops. I think the ones I have are thicker this time, so I'll adjust the time.
Husband is in the hospital or the docs alot, you're right. We try to keep him out of the hospital as much as possible, and do as much as we can at home. He's not going to get better, so there's always alot of it.
try adding some rosemary ( a little), it goes really good with lamb and goat, plus add a little butter ( like a tbsp) to the olive oil when you cook them

*sigh* , I hate thinking about that what is happening to your husband might happen to all of us one day, I just don't want to get there....can't imagine. I have a feeling if I get to that point I will just refuse to go to the hospital and be done with it :(

animal chores, cook, planning on cleaning today , started yesterday by cleaning the kitchen
Need to assemble and email the tax stuff
really need to go get some potting soil to start seeds but shopping is tomorrow , I like going on Tuesdays so the shelves are mostly refilled from the weekend

oh and I did not take a gummi last night either and slept fine. So the medical marijuana does not seem to be addictive like the prescription pills and does not have any real physical withdrawl symptoms so far. I had a mild headache yesterday, sort of like when you cut out caffeine after drinking coffee for a long time ( I used to , now I drink decaf)

I'm cleaning up space in my fur shed to set up an area to build custom fishing rods, fishing lures and fly tying. And for leather working.
I have a butcher block counter top in an L shape with a couple 3 drawer cabinets under the counter top. Need to find places for all the junk that's on top. Yesterday I added a new 6' long shelf, took less than 5 mins to fill it. This summer I'm going to build a 12'×16' storage building next to the fur shed to put a lot of this stuff in.
Got a couple inches of snow last night. Nice to see but we're still about 5 feet behind where we should be in February.

@UrbanHunter that’s really sad about your step-dad. I hope you can stay in frequent touch with him to lift his spirits.
@Amish Heart sounds like your granddaughter is picking up a strong hard work ethic from you, I hope it stays with her.
Church yesterday, some counsel, had a good day and evening. My deep sadness from Saturday was replaced with relief for him that he’s free from pain, it was excruciating. Remembering good times with him and some of the things he lived through, alone. Lots of close calls. No funeral, no graveside service, no 21 gun salute. But that was what he wanted, none of it.
Today an appointment. Then maybe work on an order for delivery, figure out where to store more LTFS. Cleaning I can’t seem to catch up on. Fingers crossed.

Spent the day in ER with husband, his midline clogged with a clot.
I'm glad they finally got him straightened out! That's a concern of mine and we don't have an infusion center in the area. Little granddaughter is following in your footsteps!

Yesterday was Church and no laptop.
Walked dogs and did laundry as plumber was coming today to re-plumb under house. Texted yesterday evening that he won't be here until Friday, so laundry is done early.

Walked this morning.
Ran to Post office and hardware store-mouse poison.
Cleaned bathrooms and dusted house.
Done for the day, mostly.
I'm tired. I think it's the weather. I don't care for cooler weather!

We've got an infusion center about 25 minutes out, but only open days Mon thru Friday. So of course, this was clogging on the Saturday night infusion. ER really had a time handling it. But it's done, and we just saw the infectious disease doc today. He has a hospital procedure on Thursday, so he needs to be tip top. If your husband has the house nurse come in once a week, they should have a clot buster if it happens. This is his third clot, might just be him.

We've got an infusion center about 25 minutes out, but only open days Mon thru Friday. So of course, this was clogging on the Saturday night infusion. ER really had a time handling it. But it's done, and we just saw the infectious disease doc today. He has a hospital procedure on Thursday, so he needs to be tip top. If your husband has the house nurse come in once a week, they should have a clot buster if it happens. This is his third clot, might just be him.
I need to follow up on the clot buster, sounds like some serious kit. It would be something that would be worth being trained for....

It was just a med in a syringe. I couldn't push or pull anything from his IV, and even let heparin sit in there for awhile. That usually works, but didn't. Alteplase is one they use. So now I'm doing Saline push, then the antibiotic in a five min push, then saline again, then 2 mil of heparin, and doing this every six hrs. Before we just used the heparin on the fourth time. Have another week of this round, it's been a three week round. There's not much to be trained for, it's just getting access to the med.

Little granddaughter heard the story about why a car has been in the middle of a big alfalfa field for weeks, down the road a bit. Couldn't figure it out, why it's where it is. And all the rain, and snow before that. Looks like a midsize regular ol car. So a kid borrowed mom's car to drive to school, but decided to pick up friends and ditch and drive to the country and go joy riding. Didn't realize that cars don't drive thru fields. It's pretty stuck. The alfalfa is messed up. Looks like they got about 4 or 5 acres in.

I'm at work and a wreck up the road took out the power for a bit! It's back on, so back to work!!
Lori has gone "Saddle Shoping". Might get a new gun yet :). Don't have my eye on anything in particular, BUT......
Forgot to post my post earlier!! Oops! And dang Dave, no need to shoot Lori just for saddle shopping! 😮🐎

K had his phone interview this morning before work. It went well. They want him but understand he has another interview with another company. They mentioned letting them know what the other company offers and they would push for a zoom interview so they could match/beat it.

I am better but now K has the sniffles. He was hit hard yesterday but the tincture I forced on him seems to have done the trick as he is better but still drippy.

The 'storm' out here is weak. I remember the last El Nino and it kicked California's arse for weeks! Five minutes outside and you were soaked to the bone and your clothes weren't even dry by the end of the day. The water took months to absorb into the ground or dry off leaving quicksand type patches even at the beach in the middle of summer. Right now the lawn is just a bit muddy but the dogs still enjoy running around in the rain to so it can't be that bad. Ran for donuts and my hair didn't even get wet. For context there was a mudslide 10 years ago just up the hill (mountain side) from us. It took out the road and the bridge to the cabin was closed for several weeks. That was from a summer sun shower in August. The wall of mud missed the cabin by feet. Thank God for the dry creek bed! Roo was 2.

Don't be too sure about that, Pearl. Wait till he finds out some saddles cost $4-6000, or more.
she has 2 in the back of her car, $300 total, I'm not worried. English cut for a walker??? Not a horse guy, I guess they are cheaper cause they don't have a horn :p

They're cheaper because they are generic and not custom made. I have three of those. I also have a $4000.00 saddle from my endurance racing days. It's a custom treeless saddle that allowed me to meet the 'must use a saddle rule' and still have a little contact with the horse. I was even able to use it at the Cairo race track.

I am a bareback rider by nature. I hate saddles. Another bone of contention I always ran into with people, was a loose cinch. Mine hang loose. I use a pad that stays in place when the horse starts to sweat a bit. I can ride some crazy horses with it. They calm down when they aren't cinched up tight and don't have a bit.

Latest posts

Back