What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried my creativity with painting my sprinkler valve cover. 6 various cans of spray paint, and it now looks like a rock... well, kinda:horsie:

Attachments

• 20240322_124415.jpg
    20240322_124415.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Waiting for rain now that reduced outside work time to almost nil.

Been trying to get things ready for fixing a half dozen cars, 3pt hitch equipment and get insurance and dealership problems handled.

SIL went to cardio test, was feeling weak yesterday and went to GP who sent him to cardio it has bee about two weeks since they stinted two places.

He was clear with very little other plaque.

All day in ER with husband, and he's admitted now. So came back home to take care of things and pickup little granddaughter. We're going back into the bigger town and probably to Chic fil a for supper, then to sit with husband till we're booted out tonight.
Amish Heart,
Hope your husband feels better soon.

Tonight the wife made a kettle of bean soup, using 15 year old dry beans... Now I know they say they have a 30 year shelf life, but from now on all our beans will be use by 5 years.... You can eat them, but they are a little chalky... If I were in day 10 of a SHTF event they might even be down right good... :)

All day in ER with husband, and he's admitted now. So came back home to take care of things and pickup little granddaughter. We're going back into the bigger town and probably to Chic fil a for supper, then to sit with husband till we're booted out tonight.
Breathing issues? I'm praying for you both

Strange day ... rained off and on in the morning ... walked the pups at 1:00 finally ... went to Petsmart and Costco ... no time to go to the grocery store, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Have some Panko coated Tilapia for dinner ... maybe some rice ... maybe peas.

Master bath reno demolition starts April 1. Can't wait (sarcasm)! It'll be a 4-5 weeks with any luck. Between the mess, the noise, and the dogs, it's not going to be easy.

hope he feels better soon, so sorry you and him have to deal with this all the time

just got our first goat kid. She is the youngest mom and first time , but still only one is unusual for our goats, but mom and baby seem to be doing fine, already dried off and nursing an hour after we put the goats in the barn. She was acting a little off and we put her in a stall by herself. Going to check on her in half hour to see if there is another one but she looks even, not like there is one left in there

Been busy with life.
Had to deal with 2 deaths in the family this week.
My Dad's only living sibling sister passed away.
She was 89 in bad health for the last 55 years.
So when her daughter called me to tell me she passed.
My typical response was yeah right, been hearing this for 55 years or longer.
Come to find out she had passed.
Her daughter insisted on autospy.
She wanted to make sure the nursing home hadn't killed her.
So she could sue if need be(she's one of those kind of people).
Her brothers wasn't interest or going to pay for autospy.
Nursing home is in the clear.
They hadn't done anything to kill her.
Natural causes.( I'm still giggling about the cause, but I have military sense humor too).
She had donated her body to science.
Nope they rejected her body.
Seems you can't have surgery open wounds, then die of natural causes.
Cremated.
Second death in family was younger cousin.
He was fighting cancer and diabetic.
He was 2 months younger than me..
Been canning, staying busy, giggling.....
When this Aunt got to be too much for my parents to deal with.
They would sent me to deal with the drama.
And let me tell you what that military sense of humor came in handy at times.
This is the same Aunt who wore size 26 or 28 plus size clothes or larger before they actually made those sizes for people. How do I know this? Because I made her clothes. She used to complain that she never got to wear a size 12.
So to make her feel better when I put the size tag in her garments more for my information than her's, over the correct size I would make a size 12 and place it on top of the right size. She was delighted and I still had my information on sizing.This is the things her sons and daughter laughed and cried about at her funeral. That and the Porky Pig pillow I made for when I was just learning to sew. Porky had an adjustable waist band.Yes, I am sadden that she is gone.
But she is no longer in pain.

This afternoon I declared war on fire ants! Used about $40 worth of poison (hate using poison but...). A lot yes, but not as bad as in other years. I control burned the pasture closest to the house in feb of 22. Noticeably fewer fire ants in my yard since then. Still, I start early to keep the yard mostly free of them in summer. Here in the south fire ants are a battle that never ends.

Made a grocery run to the little town. $260 and the cart wasn’t even full! Got a lot of meat though, 3 big packs of chicken, conecuh sausage, 12lbs of bacon. I’ll be vacuum sealing tomorrow. I hit the discount movie bin too. Got all 4 of the mad max movies for $9 and the 4 mummy movies for $12.

Stopped at the bbq joint on the edge of town and picked up smoked wings for dinner and a pound of pulled pork for sammiches.

pasture burn...

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/post-a-photo-a-real-photo.95/page-279#post-432276

Last edited:
This afternoon I declared war on fire ants! Used about $40 worth of poison (hate using poison but...). A lot yes, but not as bad as in other years. I control burned the pasture closest to the house in feb of 22. Noticeably fewer fire ants in my yard since then. Still, I start early to keep the yard mostly free of them in summer. Here in the south fire ants are a battle that never ends.

Made a grocery run to the little town. $260 and the cart wasn’t even full! Got a lot of meat though, 3 big packs of chicken, conecuh sausage, 12lbs of bacon. I’ll be vacuum sealing tomorrow. I hit the discount movie bin too. Got all 4 of the mad max movies for $9 and the 4 mummy movies for $12.

Stopped at the bbq joint on the edge of town and picked up smoke wings for dinner and a pound of pulled pork for sammiches.

pasture burn...

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/post-a-photo-a-real-photo.95/page-279#post-432276
There was more than 1 Max movie? 🧐. Guess I didn’t know that.
Also you folks down south have spiders, snakes, scorpions, fire ants, and douse your food with rocket fire 🔥. I knew there was a reason I live in the north 😁

Wow @Amish Heart prayers for the three of you. Does little granddaughter know how to knit? That or a good book. Hospitals are not fun 🙏

Sitting here icing my knee. It’s doing better but still has a bump on it and range of motion is still limited but improving. Nice day but chilly due to wind. Kinda a slow and easy day which was welcomed and quite nice. Will attempt to get more accomplished tomorrow 😬

Nope, she doesn't knit. But we watched, "The Hunger Games" in his room. She is reading, "Dune" right now. She knows where the refreshment center is. She does ok. We might get visitors there tomorrow, we'll see. Maybe the amish lady cousins. That'll break things up a bit. There's a visiting room around the corner.

Haven’t seen @Mountain trapper for a while 🤔

I have a few Easter things I want to get out. I don’t do much in the way of decorating but do like a couple touches of spring as we have gray skies.
Have the garden plot ready for spuds 🥔 Wed is supposed to be a good day to plant them so have the seed spuds all ready.
Need to clean the bathroom today since it didn’t get done Thursday 🫣
Hubby will be working most of the weekend so I told him I would take him some lunch. Have a venison back strap thawed out 🤤

Woke up too a Strange YelloWish Orange Glow in the Heavens, when I got up to get a closer look, it was Blocked Again by some dirty colored clouds...!!! Hope People ain't keeping stuff up in that...?!?

On the Bright(sp) Side, Good Morning to all that pass thru here and to all who did already before I got here today...!! Ought Oh, gotta Go as the GLOW is Back and is B U T Full...! Have a Blessed Day All.. 🙈🙉🙊🌦️

Last edited:
My oldest cousin in the family turns 91 today. She invited us to her home for a slice of birthday cake and i really feel obligated to go. The problem is that her house is 2 hours away, it just started raining, and since her house is up near the Grapevine, which is a very high altitude with common snow, I think I need to decline.

Stopped at the bbq joint on the edge of town and picked up smoked wings for dinner and a pound of pulled pork for sammiches.

pasture burn...

Peanut ,
My middle sister lives in Texas, so she deals with fire ants a lot too.
She takes her water bath canning water out and pours it into their nest.
No fire ants afterwards.
You might try that.
Just an idea.

I am up, dressed, thinking.
Yeah, I know that could be trouble, me thinking.
Sipping coffee.
Making a grocery list, which means grocery run to Alidi's next week.
Will be making hot rolls for dinner and the freezer today.
Don't think I ave any sugar left, so will put that on the Aldi's grocery list.
Was going to make candy today, but lucked out on that no sugar.
Making waffles for the freezer tomorrow, maybe pancakes too.
That apple walnut date bread was good, massive Yum!
Reading forums for a bit before I get busy.
Seems to have lost something, that I use quite a bit.
Hopefully I will find it today when I dust floors today.

More packing and disposing today. Monday is mowing day up at the country house, so charged the mower batteries. Will have to reset the side view blink camera, it's gone offline. May try to set up one of the ring cameras also.

It's raining today, so I'm doing indoor cleaning.

I checked the level of my rain barrels at the indoor sight glass and it was surprisingly low. I dawned a raincoat and started investigating: The valves up the side of the main line had water. The rain collector had water running in it. I could hear water running into the main sediment barrel and into the main barrel feeding the array of rain water storage barrels. What I ended up finding out was that there was an air bubble in the 3/4" line going to my sight glass, once I vented it I have 38" of water collected in my 12 65-gallon rain barrels, another 4 inches and the over flow will start working. The good news is that I have collected just over 700 gallons and can start watering my garden using the irrigation system. Once it stops raining that is. :)

The wife has me putting all her herbs into a spreadsheet on her computer, she takes so many that it's hard to stay on top of it and she wants to maintain a couple months supply. There are at least 3 different size bottles with the number of pills in each ranging from 30 to 250. Her herb list is over 3 pages long so it's going to take a few hours....

Already walked, this morning.
Was dropped off at Verizon to switch my phone data to new phone, while DH and GS went to Lowes for a couple of poles to replace our carport poles that were rotting.
Home and am cooking lima beans w/ sausage.
Still need to walk Aninja around yard.
Also have to make garlic bread with cheese to go with beans.

Latest posts

Back