What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Afternoon All, Hope All are well and No Damage from those Storms that Popped Up...!!! Have A Good Day and May GOD Bless...!! ☀️ 💐 🙏

There is a big blowup at work today. A train derailed coming off the bridge where we installed rail off the end a couple weeks ago. The train department tried to blame us but the investigation showed that a train came across the bridge too fast and slammed on the brakes. This had the effect of sliding the rail to the north, which wrecked the joints at the end of the bridge where the rails lock in place when the bridge comes down from its lifted position. My crew is in the clear for the moment.

For today we are laying rail in the low side of a curve. It's threatening to rain and we can't weld in the rain, so it may be a short day...

The transportation department ALWAYS tries to blame their screwups on everyone else, did the bridge have a floating section between Connolly joints?

I used to walk derailment sites and find the cause.

The rotten thing is a transportation igmo can cause a 5 million dollar derailment and get 2 weeks off but if YOU do you any kind you get at least a year or terminated.

I had a friend who was working after I retired as Knuckle boom operator and got hit by a train at a crossing. He complied with every rule and got hit the transportation department would not release the video at his investigation.

I called the two members of my local who were the General and Asst General Chairmen of the System Division and asked why he was being terminated and they said "HE GOT HIT BY A TRAIN" I said Why did the train hit him, do you not want to know WHY? answer was "It does not matter".

So I proceeded to ask them what they were there for if they did not investigate the reason and fix the problem.

I knew the crossing and the sight distance was very short, the driver told me that he had the windows up but never heard the train horn blow ERGO the refusal to show the video.

The visual to xing time is 17 seconds, not long enough to clear the xing with a nearly 60 foot long truck from a dead stop. unless you really stomp it right off.

They took a video of the same section of train and timed it, videoed a SCHOOL bus crossing the xing and timed it took it to investigation and he got back to work after a year of being off.

BTW it would miss the school bus by about 20 feet.

Hubby and I met a fellow church member at our church and carpet cleaned the sanctuary. We serve breakfast snacks and coffee every Sunday and grape juice for communion. Things get dropped and spilled. We got up tons of stains and are ready to host the community for Easter potluck lunch. Before and after photos
IMG_1362.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1366.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hubby and I met a fellow church member at our church and carpet cleaned the sanctuary. We serve breakfast snacks and coffee every Sunday and grape juice for communion. Things get dropped and spilled. We got up tons of stains and are ready to his the community for Easter potluck lunch. Before and after photos View attachment 127147
I do that on the side and own a few machines. I LOVE cleaning carpets! 🤔

@12icemaker that bridge is a lifting span bridge where the span raises vertically to allow for boat traffic. Those Connolly joints were not in great shape to begin with. That bridge is over 120 years old, of course the rail and joints aren't that old but they're past their usefulness. It's the Roberts street bridge in downtown St Paul.

Did a bunch of up potting of the seedlings. Supposed to get down to 20 tonight, so everything is still upstairs. Dehydrator is taking forever to dry eggs. My sis is arriving tomorrow evening, so more housecleaning. Little granddaughter got all the rabbit cages cleaned out after school, so that was a help. Going into the bigger town for husband's shot took some time, not sure where my day went.

No Carpets was a big selling point for the new house. No trees either. 9 cats and a dog, I bought Rosie the Roomba.
I didn't realize you had 9 ferocious felines!

Yesterday was hoppin'. Today is much easier. I have several oddities to take care of but nothing urgent like everything seemed to be yesterday.

I have carpet in the bedrooms and it is my wifes choice two of them are twist an it is easy to keep clean but the master is plush and not trackless.

Carpet cleaning is not my idea of fun its too far for you to make the trip @Pearl but that stuff looks like it needs cleaning even though it is not but two years old by the door and in high traffic even though no shoes ever come in and I vacuum it 1/2 overlap in both directions with a Vacuflo central vac system that will pull the hair off of your head.

Moved Boat from a level place to a hill to get a good pitch on it for cleaning the bottom and the cuddy out Gonna sell this thing and get a small Carolina Skiff with a couple of paddles and some good batteries for the trolling motor. maybe some solar panels to charge them.

I worked today! WooHoo!!

Big deal? Actually - yes. I'm the type that kinda needs to work and I've been laid-off but on call for too long.

Relaxed for few after work with the dog at my side. 🙂
Then she needed her play time, exercise and dinner.

Now I'm chilling and looking forward to working again tomorrow. Work for me is kind of like getting paid to go the gym and work-out. I'm feeling it... a bit sore but feeling my arms, back and legs coming to life again.

Just brought a nice dry standing dead in for firewood the little tractor had fun in the snow, it has shrunk to about a foot , really good snowman snow for now.

I didn't realize you had 9 ferocious felines!

Yesterday was hoppin'. Today is much easier. I have several oddities to take care of but nothing urgent like everything seemed to be yesterday.
Well, cats happen. We were at 6, what I call "CATMAX" upper limit of cat population. (I did raw material specifications for P&G :p )

THEN, Penelope had her litter of kittens under the carport. 4 kits. 2 live in Hongkong with P&G expats, 2 live here with Penelope (MOM). BTW, Penelope is the BEST mom cat I have ever met.

Then Willow passed, she was very old and had kidney issues.

Then we bought a house, it came with a cat the last rat bastards left behind (Brutus)

So yeah, 9 cats and a fat hairy dog :p

And their human staff, Lori and I.

Last edited:
At 10 am, I brave the wilderness once again, and travel to IKEA, they FINALLY got the corner bookcase and brackets in. Then, the long traverse to Clarksville for the dropoff. Then trash day. After that, I need a nap.

Last edited:
I have carpet in the bedrooms and it is my wifes choice two of them are twist an it is easy to keep clean but the master is plush and not trackless.

Carpet cleaning is not my idea of fun its too far for you to make the trip @Pearl but that stuff looks like it needs cleaning even though it is not but two years old by the door and in high traffic even though no shoes ever come in and I vacuum it 1/2 overlap in both directions with a Vacuflo central vac system that will pull the hair off of your head.

Moved Boat from a level place to a hill to get a good pitch on it for cleaning the bottom and the cuddy out Gonna sell this thing and get a small Carolina Skiff with a couple of paddles and some good batteries for the trolling motor. maybe some solar panels to charge them.
Carpet cleaning is fun because I make money doing it!😃

House cleaning here, too, today because my sister is coming in early evening. And cooking (always). Taking husband in to do his labwork today for his doc appts tomorrow. But first, taking the girls to their schools and stopping at the PO Box. It's 20 degrees out right now...brrrr. The rest of the week will start warming up.

@Pearl Doesn't everybody's house need to be cleaned if they do anything even just sit in the recliner? HEHEHEHEH, how does everything get dirty?

Dishes, clothes, floor, windows UHHHH >>>>>>>>>> where does it stop??? and the grass has to be mowed it is even worse outside!!!

I am thinking Tent, toga, and some bushes with a rock firepit.

@Pearl Doesn't everybody's house need to be cleaned if they do anything even just sit in the recliner? HEHEHEHEH, how does everything get dirty?

Dishes, clothes, floor, windows UHHHH >>>>>>>>>> where does it stop??? and the grass has to be mowed it is even worse outside!!!

I am thinking Tent, toga, and some bushes with a rock firepit.
I clean for a living, so I'm glad everyone's house needs to be cleaned. I just don't feel like cleaning my own!😃

had visitors yesterday that took lots of photos of our lambs in the barn, since it was pouring outside. People always comment on how clean we keep our barn and how well taken care of our animals look , that made me happy :)
( nobody ever says that about the house LOL )
They bought a bunch of eggs and the rest of our lamb chops from last year ( still perfectly fine, it's frozen and vaccum sealed)
STILL no new goat kids. This is a first. Usually they all seem to get pregnant the first day we put in the bucks
the girls must have played hard to get this year or something

I want to go swimming but afraid to leave that long until after the babies are here, need to go shopping too for fresh stuff, but that can wait another day or few

Latest posts

Back