What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dogs were playing in the house yesterday and Otto ran into my knee. I didn't feel much at first and sat down but when I got up again it hurt really bad. I think he injured the tendon on the side of it or something and now I can barely walk. I actually took a few ( way out of date) Advil last night to sleep it hurt so bad, the gummi was not enough. Wow, it really sucks getting old, that would probably not have done so much damage if I was younger. I am thinking maybe I had already overdid it yesterday working and he just added to it, but still, he didn't run into me that hard.
So light duty today , I can't bend my knee well or walk well.

Still no new goat kids ( husband just fed lambs and checked them) but they look ready to pop a few are so gigantic.

And I had a bad dream last night, plane exploded just as I was going to get on it. I was running through the airport because I was late, and just as I get in boarding area the plane blows up. This is nothing new, happens all the time when I have a trip coming up that requires flying. Sometimes I am ON the plane while it is crashing, sometimes, I am on the ground watching it. This one I was watching it blow up. And then everyone was saying that it was a nuke ( lol, not, I would not have been standing at the airport watching). I hate flying.....

Lots of coyotes here too, lots of pups!
we have them too, they got some lambs from the neighbors a few years ago, and they caught and shot one of them and left it in the pasture as a warning to the others. Not sure that works but it's a thought. This is why we have 2 large livestock dogs . Well, that and the stray dogs people dump off here

I had an exciting afternoon!!

I had purchased chicken, boneless pork chops, and beef stew meat for the pups, at Costco the other day. Spent some time packaging it all up for the freezer - excepting the dog beef. For 60 minutes, I cut the beef cubes (6.5 lbs) into small pieces for the pups food. Then I cooked it with a couple handfuls of bacon bits, added mixed veggies, brown and white rice. Tastes so good, I might have it for dinner!!! Will add dry food when we give it to them.

Then ... had to clean up all the pots, pans, and containers ... I hate doing dishes!!!

Never did mow the lawn ... intermittent rain over the past several days pretty much killed that idea.

Wanted to go to the range today, but my range partner is too busy.
What kind of dogs do you have? I am sure they appreciate their food!! Ours just get the cuts we don't eat ( livers, hearts, chicken feet etc) and leftovers ( plus dog food from a bag) . We can't afford to feed ours that well....( they are 4, 3 of them really big and eat a lot). Last time I went shopping we spent more on dog food than people food

I always wonder what the environmentalist in fish and game departments who decide to reintroduce large predators like BEARS, Coyote, and Wolves have for brains.

Nature is great, Coyotes were removed from some areas over many years of fighting them to just maintain livestock population among other reasons.

They are opportunity feeders and will eat many things, a well populated area gives them so much food they can populate the area very quickly when the
last time they were in the area a natural occurring food source meant they could only reach a point where thy could find enough food to sustain them.

In the riversbend area they have become a problem for livestock owners, they have decimated the once thriving Quail covey counts and rabbit population along with taking pets.

Bears have started to become a nuisance in some areas and the reintroduced alligators have begun to build in numbers.

I wonder when they will dig up a T Rex and let it loose in a major city.

What kind of dogs do you have? I am sure they appreciate their food!! Ours just get the cuts we don't eat ( livers, hearts, chicken feet etc) and leftovers ( plus dog food from a bag) . We can't afford to feed ours that well....( they are 4, 3 of them really big and eat a lot). Last time I went shopping we spent more on dog food than people food
They are brother and sister - siblings ... 13 mos old ... the top 67% of both their DNA is Australian Cattle Dog, American Miniature Shepherd, & Siberian Husky. They each weigh about 40 lbs. I actually think homemade is far cheaper than store bought dog food, although we do add dry dog food to what I make them.

IMG_5517.JPGIMG_5515.JPGIMG_6804.JPG

We have coyote hunts in our area annually. They did real well this year. A local guy youtubes it...his youtube is Jordan's Harvest. Our temp is taking a nosedive the next few days. Woodburning stove will be fired up again. Animal chores in a minute...after lunch I'll need to go into the bigger town to get husband's prescriptions picked up, an Aldi run, and my Challenger washed and vacuumed. My Florida sis is arriving Wednesday, and I always let her drive that while she's here, and visiting our mom. I don't think it's been washed since the last time she was here. Ha. Husband is managing, but is taking more care. He's happy to be home.

I always wonder what the environmentalist in fish and game departments who decide to reintroduce large predators like BEARS, Coyote, and Wolves have for brains.

Nature is great, Coyotes were removed from some areas over many years of fighting them to just maintain livestock population among other reasons.

They are opportunity feeders and will eat many things, a well populated area gives them so much food they can populate the area very quickly when the
last time they were in the area a natural occurring food source meant they could only reach a point where thy could find enough food to sustain them.

In the riversbend area they have become a problem for livestock owners, they have decimated the once thriving Quail covey counts and rabbit population along with taking pets.

Bears have started to become a nuisance in some areas and the reintroduced alligators have begun to build in numbers.

Here I am in suburbia, and I often times see coyotes and bobcats roaming around. Also have snakes and hawks, rabbits and squirrels. It's a freakin zoo!

He's happy to be home.
I'm sure he is after yesterday's power outage at the hospital.

I took Aninja for her pedicure at the vet first thing, this morning.
Then walked myself.
Helped DH with his video appt. with VA.
Ran the kids to town for a couple of things.
Picked up my lab results from doc- 6 months results.
Did 2 loads of laundry.
That's all, folks!

Them those Parts are Good Ones esp, deep fried...!!! :thumbs:

Last edited:
Lots of coyotes here too, lots of pups!
Lots of coyotes here too, plus bobcat, fox, mountain lion, bear, badger and wolves. We also have a lot of quail, wild turkeys, grouse, chucker, deer, elk, cattle, chickens, ducks and other critters. They all seem manage just fine. I do trap a lot of predators, but seldom do I trap anything here on our ranch.

Survived the chores at the country house, Grass is cut, security back online, pantry emptied except for food (It had all the tools and such in it.). Now it's time for Clinton County EMA Damage assessment training. Thank goodness it''s virtual.

By design: "they" are moving to control our food supply including wild game.

Worked till noon. Took a couple hours off and hauled another load of compost. Got 3 more beds filled. Plus part of a 4th. Gotta finish it and 2 smaller ones. Will do that Saturday. Suppose to rain tomorrow, but I'm ready to plant my taters Wednesday or Thursday. Signs are right for root crops.

It’s Monday so hit the ground running! Kinda busy at work so it went by pretty quickly. Home, made bbq dry rub so I have it next time I need it. Ironed a few shirts- not finished but I was done. Watered sprouts 🌱 Catching up on here then will stitch a little.

Today is cooking day.
So been busy with that.
Trying to get freezer stocked up with homemade meals.
Getting ready for next round of Doctor appointments and tests.
So on days it was rough at Doctor's appointments I don't have to worry about meals.
Went ahead and scheduled an Audiology appointment too.
Did a load of laundry, washed, dried and put away.
Will do another load of laundry tomorrow.
Estelle was here this afternoon, early evening.
She ran and giggled for more than an hour or two outside.

I spent all day making sure our trailer is ready to go cross country.
Checked and adjusted all tire pressures, torqued all the lug nuts, filled the propane bottles, and a bunch of other things.
I thought it would take me a couple of hours and I worked all day.
I am going to bed early tonight.
We are as ready as we'll ever be so tomorrow morning the great road trip begins.
I should be able to get online every day so I can check in.

Checked and adjusted all tire pressures, torqued all the lug nuts, filled the propane bottles, and a bunch of other things.
We are as ready as we'll ever be so tomorrow morning the great road trip begins.
Have a safe and fun trip.
Safe travels.

We are ready to go with you!! Can't wait! ♥️

Up a little early (3:30) this morning!! Beautiful moon, 36°, but actually very nice outside! Buddy is definitely feeling better, he did his donkey morning announcements when I took Bear outside! Regular Tuesday job, hopefully running my truck through inspection first, then getting its tags!🙄 Only 60° today, but no wind and sunny so I'll probably get some stuff done outside later! Definitely brushing the critters. Everyone is shedding!!😃

Going to the big town of McComb Ms today
Having dentures fitted
This process is more complicated than I thought
1-visit. Make a mold
2nd visit- orient teeth on the base
3rd visit- check they line up a adjust as needed
4th. Get your teeth

still no new goat kids, what are they waiting for???
I was sure our milk goat was going to have hers yesterday, she was laying down in the pasture to eat and looked like she was leaking a bit
someone is coming over to get some lamb and eggs today ( another vendor from the market, they have a vineyard) , hope the rain holds off and we don't have to rush to get the animals inside, it's still cold out but a little warmer
I was going to invite them for lunch, but since we might have to deal with goat kids, I just baked a cake

oh and one of my worst nightmares happened: a scary old truss bridge collapsed in Baltimore. It's the kind of bridge I avoid at all cost, even if I have to drive miles out of my way. Most of the Mississippi bridges fall in that category also but they are very hard to avoid ( have to drive through St. Louis to do it)
I watched the video just now, wow, how can a ship just run into a bridge like that?? Was the captain sleeping? Drunk?

There is a big blowup at work today. A train derailed coming off the bridge where we installed rail off the end a couple weeks ago. The train department tried to blame us but the investigation showed that a train came across the bridge too fast and slammed on the brakes. This had the effect of sliding the rail to the north, which wrecked the joints at the end of the bridge where the rails lock in place when the bridge comes down from its lifted position. My crew is in the clear for the moment.

For today we are laying rail in the low side of a curve. It's threatening to rain and we can't weld in the rain, so it may be a short day...

Today I will finish up projects I started yesterday.
Still going to spread eagle a whole chicken onto a roasting pan.
Add home canned diced tomatoes to my crock pot chili.
Estelle is coming over after school for a couple of hours.
She says "Granny", we need to cook something together.
Hadn't planned on that, but cook we will.
I am pretty sure she wants to make "Mounds" bars.
Even though everybody who knows her is trying to wean her off excessive processed sugar
She was excited to tell me when she came over yesterday.
She has started "Dance lessons" and Cheer leading.
Miss Reign has started tumbling classes.
Nyx and Charlie each have 2 teeth, started crawling and attempting to walk.
Sound to me parents are looking for ways to burn off excess energy.
"Granny" just takes them outside to race, run, play in dirt.
Nyx and Charlie are in the have to taste everything stage.
Sure do get some comical faces.
On to cooking today.

Last edited:
I watched the video just now, wow, how can a ship just run into a bridge like that?? Was the captain sleeping? Drunk?
Like the captain that ran into the Skyway Bridge in FL in 1980.

It's been raining so will walk, shortly.
Walk Aninja.
Call VA.
Taking family to lunch at Chinese buffet as GS will be leaving tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back