What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just flooded (for mice) and cleaned out our old turkey runs. Put in junior ducks in one run, and junior turkeys in another. Just heard on our local news that a former employee of mine that I fired about 1 1/2 yrs ago was murdered by her boyfriend (I'm pretty sure was an illegal, but the news won't say). Very sad. Two young children without a mom now. She was divorced, so I think their dad will raise them. They were on good terms. Awful.
Going to Tractor Supply, which will be the extent of my black Friday shopping. Maybe getting a Christmas tree at the lot.

well hubby was gone when I woke up at 4:45 this morning lol He was back home by 10 am. He made some other stops besides Lowes and Home Depot.
I fed him breakfast. He played in his "playroom" ( above the garage) to test a new propane heater he bought and now he's off to a local gun shop.
I've been hanging out watching a tv show called Ghost Adventures. Its ok but its like all the others. They hear and see things but coincidentally enough no camera or microphone can pick it up. The "leader" is quite an actor lol Its kinda funny actually.
Having leftover ham, some baked tater tots and beets for supper.
Ice storm coming at dawn tomorrow changing to all rain by lunchtime. So I'm going to take a pajama day tomorrow. Heck with it

Apparently that rich Thanksgiving meal didn't set too well with me. It was a rough morning so I'm taking it easy all day. Hopefully I'll feel good enough tonight to visit with my best friend from high school who is home visiting his family this weekend. Tomorrow is my big Thanksgiving meal with extended family. That one will probably hurt on Sunday too...:D

Went to parents house to run help clean up their cooking messes.
Mom's inside the house.
Dad's inside the third bay of the garage, he's turned it into cook shack.
Trade off was I got leftovers, turkey remains(making soup).
Dusted the furniture throughout the house(parents),ran the sweeper.
Came home,
cleaned out the refrig.
put away all the leftovers I brought home from parents.
Let Strawberry out several times.
Sat down in recliner to rest, went to sleep.
Just getting up from nap.
Still got dishes to do,thinking about putting pj's on.
Kick back and relax
100% chance of rain turning to snow today.
Might snuggle up with book.
Or just nap

so far had a great day on the homestead...
got up late...
:)
went for a longer than usual run because I knew I was going to skip the treadie today..
pay day..went to the feed store..whoop whoop!!
Home..realized I look homeless on my feed store run in town..lol..,
tore up capri gym leggings over black base layer tights, tore up ranch vest over 2 base layer shirts that don't match..fugly running shoes that don't match anthing and hippie cool but warm beanie on because it is raining and I figured Id get my run done in my grubbies and clean the stalls..then clean up and go to town for erronds..but I went for a run ..ran to town in mix-matched grubbies and cleaned stalls after..
I noticed this older coyboy guy looking at me in the payout isle kidna sideways but with a grin..then I realize how I must appear in my torn up, grubby get-up and just say, " gotta clean stalls today".. he gives a chuckle in the line and knowing nod..and im thinking _hit..it's no wonder im single still...lol..
once home I attack the stalls , give everyone a good brushing and inside I head..
Hot springs are closed today :(
So, hot shower to linger in..
Warm Stovie to huddle by now and catching up on here and news..
It is supposed to snow later...
' Im ready..

Like it's a thing, @Hooch . Gotta get dressed up to go out in public as if we care. Lol
lol...nope..I guess we really don't...I didn't even think about it until in the grocery line..then opps..
I thought at least I don't smell like my buck ..he a stinky boy and he aalways wants me to scratch him when Im cleaning up the pens..
gah...lol..

Reminds me of some of our deer stories....hubby shot at it....ended up with just a tail....LOL...has never lived it down yet....and reminders of family that have passed but are always remembered..
12/23/06
A Family's Farewell
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, we have attended two funerals in two days. Todays was rough. It was very cold, we are expecting snow/ice starting later tonight.The stories told today were so funny, I had to share them with you. It seems Bob and his buddy got a couple deer and brought them in, and Auntie wanted "her part" so Bob took over her part of the deer. When she unwrapped the package, it was two ears and the tail !!!! They said later on they had a family dinner. All were around the big table, and what a spread there was, when Auntie announced she had fixed a special dish for Bob. She brought out a covered dish and put it in front of him....she had boiled the tail and the ears !! There was a lot of laughter today. They said Bob had his own cathedral, the outdoors, and his choir was the birds that sang. And to top it off, they played his favorite song....Baby's got her blue jeans on.... and they laughed and rocked to the song. Yes, we have a strange family but the memories we share last for a life time .And I do believe, if we listen closely, we can hear Bob whisper,""ain't it nice?

Sorry, everyone was posting away... I was to busy to post... family stuff for the last 48, my grandma is 98, dementia. Thankful she is alive but it breaks my heart to see her.

Lots of good food, actually way to much good food!

Hope everyone had a blessed holiday.

We have gone through our mudmap budget and realised I forgot a few things so fixed that up, added that up and printed out the new budget for when we move into the home. I then deposited both the solicitors fees for house conveyancing, loan fees and our first loan payment into our house loan account so it is all ready for the 10th of December when the first payment will come out.

I then found a wholesale spice herb and yeast Asian wholesale internet site online and ordered a years worth of herbs, spices, yeast and beans as in bulk they are so much cheaper than the prices here in the local supermarket. @Tank-Girl have a look at this site it might save you some money on herbs, spices, beans etc - https://www.hindustan.com.au/ .
Then I moved onto putting on a loaf of bread in the breadmaking machine, fed lambie, mopped the floors and DH and I washed up the dishes, cleaned the benches and put them away.

@jimLE thank you for you concern no I didn't put on a bandage but just realised my ankle is not holding up on it's own (easy day today) so after a shower a bandage it will be to give it some support. Still hurts a fair bit and the bruising is coming out even after putting on Arnica cream regularly and am still taking panadol.

Tonight's dinner will be the other half of our pumpkin soup with a dash of sour cream and grated cheese on top.

Last edited:
Our youngest son and his girlfriend came yesterday. They barely arrived and he wanted to shoot my cannons. He loves cannons. So that's what we did for awhile. He likes putting in heavy loads so he can watch the cannon roll back with the shot. We shot an over-sized, full water bottle from one cannon and the bottle burst open way up in the air, making a temporary rainbow. That was cool.
Played board games last night. Don't know what we will do today but I'm sure we will all have fun.

Babying Strawberry today.
She was very sick girl in the night.
Both ends going at the same time.
Been awhile since I had done CPR on an animal, but I would have last night.
She's curled up on my lap crying.
If not better by Monday off to the vet we go.
She ought not have anything left inside.
We're relaxing today resting.

We have gone through our mudmap budget and realised I forgot a few things so fixed that up, added that up and printed out the new budget for when we move into the home. I then deposited both the solicitors fees for house conveyancing, loan fees and our first loan payment into our house loan account so it is all ready for the 10th of December when the first payment will come out.

I then found a wholesale spice herb and yeast Asian wholesale internet site online and ordered a years worth of herbs, spices, yeast and beans as in bulk they are so much cheaper than the prices here in the local supermarket. @Tank-Girl have a look at this site it might save you some money on herbs, spices, beans etc - https://www.hindustan.com.au/ .
Then I moved onto putting on a loaf of bread in the breadmaking machine, fed lambie, mopped the floors and DH and I washed up the dishes, cleaned the benches and put them away.

@jimLE thank you for you concern no I didn't put on a bandage but just realised my ankle is not holding up on it's own (easy day today) so after a shower a bandage it will be to give it some support. Still hurts a fair bit and the bruising is coming out even after putting on Arnica cream regularly and am still taking panadol.

Tonight's dinner will be the other half of our pumpkin soup with a dash of sour cream and grated cheese on top.

Thank you SC!

I went there and tried to make an order but they didn't have a freight calculator to give me the final total.
They wanted me to buy the goods first then send me a quote for freight.

May I ask a cheeky question about how much they stung you for shipping please?
Thank you.

Icy rainy day today.
Just cuddled with the hubby.
Watched some tv
Had on my flannel pj's all day with my fluffy warm slippers. For some reason I've been cold for 2 days now. So weird. Usually I'm hot all the time lol
Read some
Hubby went to pick up supper

Tomorrow I have to pop into the store to get a couple of things to last me until I hit the grocery this coming week. they have bacon on BOGO again lol
have laundry to get to

@Tank-Girl still waiting on them ringing me on a freight charge as the package will be around 17 -18kg as I purchased 20 x 500g yeast, 5kg of Kabula chick peas and about 2kg of banana chips and various herbs and spices. They don't charge your credit card until you agree with their freight charge when they ring you and they do that to make sure everything is in stock too for your order. I figure with yeast running out at $7.50 per 500g packet in WW that getting it for $2.51 instead would pay off. If I don't agree with their freight charge I will cancel the order and nothing will be lost.

Even if they charge $20 - $30 or more shipping we would still win on the prices they are charging here in the supermarkets and I worked out before shipping I will save $148.75 over buying everything in the supermarket or Aldi here. Our prices here on herbs, spices, dried beans and yeast are exorbitant.

Shall update you on the shipping price they quote when they ring.

Last edited:
@Tank-Girl still waiting on them ringing me on a freight charge as the package will be around 17 -18kg as I purchased 20 x 500g yeast, 5kg of Kabula chick peas and about 2kg of banana chips and various herbs and spices. They don't charge your credit card until you agree with their freight charge when they ring you and they do that to make sure everything is in stock too for your order. I figure with yeast running out at $7.50 per 500g packet in WW that getting it for $2.51 instead would pay off.

Even if they charge $20 - $30 or more shipping we would still win on the prices they are charging here in the supermarkets and I worked out before shipping I will save $148.75 over buying everything in the supermarket or Aldi here. Our prices here on herbs, spices, dried beans and yeast are exorbitant.

Shall update you on the shipping price they quote when they ring.

Thank you!
I'd appreciate that.

Poor Strawberry. Hope she feels better soon.
Just took a pumpkin cheesecake break. Been busy all morning with cleaning, cooking (husband wanted turkey soup made and more deviled eggs). Have yet to clean up some more in the garage and also bring in the box of ornaments and lights (after I locate it). Went to the grocery store for the specials...butter $1.99 a box, Nabisco crackers (like Chicken in a Biscuit!) 99 cents, and spaghetti sauce was 99 cents a jar. Could get 5 of each, so I did. Moved some chickens out of the house. Two silkie roosters crowing inside is not fun. They are my sons, and I told him enough is enough. So 4 chickens total outside, and nothing in the incubator. I'm free and clear of babies finally. Cleaned out the nest boxes in one of the chicken runs. Stopped by the preschool to bring in tuition paperwork, and went to the feed store for game bird feed. Monday will be difficult with former preschool teacher that worked for us murdered Wednesday. I'm sure most of our parents have heard.

Most welcome @Tank-Girl we are after all prepping buddies and if I find something cheaper somewhere I will always let you know.

I was so disappointed when Pantry Packer closed last year as this was where I ordered my yeast and other things from really cheaply so I was looking for an alternative supplier.

Their baking power was really cheap as well.

:( keep us posted.. I do hope she feels better.. keep her hydrated

that's awful. I hope she recovers quickly.

Nice morning at church this morning didn't make it for the 3 sessions as DH is snuffling from the dust storms around and my leg and foot swelled pretty badly so we came home. Had my foot elevated and up for a while and the swelling seems to have subsided a bit, my leg, ankle and foot were about half as big again as they usually are I don't have small delicate feet usually so it looked enormous :) .

Tonight's dinner was bacon and egg sandwiches.

Monday was the first day of gun deer hunting here and boy were they going off all morning. The check-in station was a busy place. Saw one fella that had 2 in the back of his truck but I'm pretty sure the second one was someone elses.

Just 2 weeks ago I had a herd of about 15 of them run across in front of me on our dirt lane
The 17th was our first day and it sounded like a war zone around here. It hasn't sounded like that in years but then again I use to hunt a couple of miles south of here not right behind the house so it might be normal here. We don't hardly use check in stations around here anymore because you can do it online and that's what most people do. I swear the guys that hunt the woods to the west need to learn how to shoot. There was 3 or 4 times there was multiple shots and they came from different parts of the woods,sounded like they were just chasing the deer around it :LOL: . I just don't see them around like I use too here but when we did see them it was usually small groups of 6 and less. I'd be happy just to see one but I have my doubts back here,not much cover.

Back