What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Round 2 of today is the garden beds are now flattened and DH and I went down with our levelling tools and tidied up any areas where there were lumps and it all looks pretty good. After the flat battery incident this morning I decided to buy 2 sets of jumper leads on eBay and got them at a good price as neither car has a set as we were concentrating on saving a good deposit for our home. We have decided bit by bit to now get tool kits for both vehicles too as our budget allows.

Not much else happening today and dinner will be harvest long life meat and veges with rice. On my feet again and can put full weight on my foot again however it is still aching a bit but no longer swelling along with my leg. Fortunately I am a fast healer or I am just stubborn, well I know the latter to be true anyway :D .

:huggs:@Amish Heart so sad to hear of domestic violence situations and lots of women not leaving :( .

My husband has the same problem. I have to keep reminding him that they aren't one of his men.

Ha ha! I used to have to remind the hubby that he wasn't on his jobsite when he would do his " Foreman" act here at home and I wasn't one of his flunkies. That stuff don't roll here ;)

Hubby went a bought my Christmas present today. We pick it up later this week.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Samsung-5-...s-steel-Common-30-in-Actual-29-75-in/50201531
887276977423.jpgstove.jpg

We've been replacing the appliances in the house one at a time. Did the refrigerator, hot water heater and now the stove. Next up is the dishwasher. My Maytag washer/dryer are working just fine for now. Hopefully they'll last a long time yet.
Can't wait to use this stove. Apparently you can slow cook on it, and it has a dehydrating setting for the oven.

I went to the grocery store this morning and bought 10 packs of bacon, 2 marinated pork roasts and 4 small packs of steakums both beef and chicken. Saved $48 on the sales and we're set for meals for months now lol
Now I'm planning on putting on my sweats and reading in the recliner until I have to make supper. Its cold out and the wind chill is in the low 30's.

About to do the same thing when we move into our new home @WVDragonlady as the stove in the house now is just about cactus. Our purchase will likely be in the new year though and we will purchase a 90cm wide electric one as DH with his burns cannot work with gas as it blisters his skin where his burns were. Be nice to cook multiple items in one lot instead of trying to work with the piddly 60cm wide ovens. We do a heck of a lot of cooking in our home.

Making grocery list for monthly shopping trip tomorrow.
Ordering meat bundle later to day, pick up tomorrow.
Will work in kitchen tomorrow around grand daughter putting up meat bundle for chest freezer.
Updating chest freezer master list will make menu list from that.
Going out to start car and let it run for a bit.
Haven't been outside much till today when last of black ice melted from sidewalk finally.
Car hasn't been started since Friday afternoon.
When I come back inside will paint my fingernails for the first time in 6 months.
I don't normally do girly things, but I might try a few as long as I don't have to put much effort into it.
Have lost enough weight I fit back into a pair of Riders, bootcut size 14 regular jeans.
Not plus size just regular jeans, comfortably which means I can breathe.
Going to look for new pair of low heal boots tomorrow while shopping.
Been slowly replacing my clothes as I lose weight and keep it off.
Last week went to beauty shop had them cut off about 10 inches of hair.
Went shorter and edgier style.

:woo hoo:@MoBookworm1957 you are in the average size range for women now in clothing how fantastic. I know you have been working hard to get there too :thumbs: .
Thank you
Still got that last 30 pounds to lose.
But slowly and surely I will get where I want to be.
Doing it this time for the right reason.
Just for me, nobody else.
Still got a couple problem area to work on, but my Primary Care doctor says that's always the hardest place to take it off from. Go figure.

Last edited:
More family stuff over the weekend… Yesterday I drove to the big city for another eye appointment. I got a clean bill of health on my right eye, 20/20 vision but I’ll need reading glasses for up close. Good news on my left eye also. They’ve been monitoring its cataract. My doctor said it’s growing so slowly it might be another two years before I need surgery.

So, she wrote me a prescription for new glasses. I picked out frames before leaving. A new pair should arrive in the mail in a few days.

I didn’t get to the parking deck until dark, rush hour traffic was in full swing. It took me 30 minutes to drive the 2 miles to my hotel. I was beat, I grabbed a bbq sandwich at the joint near my hotel and settled in for the night. Drove back home today, still beat.

Oh you are a fantastic dad @Spikedriver :) .

I remember my son saying when his girlfriend was expecting there is no way if he had a girl was he carrying their barbie dolls or pink toys. Well it turns out he has 2 girls now and no boys and last I saw him was carrying pink teddy bears and dolls under his arm in the shopping centre. Oh how things change :LOL:.

Oh you are a fantastic dad @Spikedriver :) .

I remember my son saying when his girlfriend was expecting there is no way if he had a girl was he carrying their barbie dolls or pink toys. Well it turns out he has 2 girls now and no boys and last I saw him was carrying pink teddy bears and dolls under his arm in the shopping centre. Oh how things change :LOL:.

I said that too. But as soon as my girl was born, I knew I was gonna be doing tea parties, princess cartoons, and stuffed kittens. That's just the way it is, and I'm ok with that. If I ever have a granddaughter I expect I'll be doing it all over again...;)

@MoBookworm1957 Great job on your weight loss! It's no picnic!

@Peanut Glad your eyes are doing well!

We went to a VA seminar today about the new laws that took effect in October. Learned a couple of things. Had to stop at Walmart and then home. I came back to town for doc appt. Ear hurts---sinus problem. Glad to be home and gong to bed shortly.

Two loads of washing done and 1 load hung out by each of us and DH got his dry and brought it back in, mine will be ready for tomorrow to bring in. I saw the weekly specials online for the grocery store we shop at and have e-vouchers for and realised most of the things we usually buy were on half price special including DH's probiotics so I put in an order for staples to increase stocks and replace ones already used.

DH also did a gardening job and will get paid the remainder of the money on the weekend and paid the bills with his pay online.

Then into the gardens this afternoon where we harvested the last of the carrots and beetroot and rolled up the drip irrigation system ready for our move.

Tonight's dinner was spam and egg toasted sandwiches.

My car is free.
I love my small car.
Undoubtly so does the snow removal crew of 6 brawny men.
Removed the snow and ice around my parking spot.
Smacked the kid upside the head who started this mess to start with.
His first job, anymore screw ups maybe his last job.
Kid was impressed with my car.Beats stereo.
His dad and uncle were impressed with gas mileage I get.
One of the crew parks two spots down from me. He lives in the complex.
Have the grand daughter today I guess.
splurged on lunch got Pizza Hut pizza.
Bills are paid, need to go order meat bundle will pick that up tomorrow.
Got to run to Wal-Mart to pick up Strawberry's dog food. It's half price of what I would pay at Vet's office.
Who knew my girl has allergy to corn. We do now.
Everybody stay warm.
Getting ready for next set of rain,sleet,ice coming in by the weekend. Yay!
Everybody have good day,afternoon,evening,night.

Last edited:
You go outside today and you will freeze your tushy off! wind chill of 13 degrees. wind gusts up to 43 mph.
Both of us are staying inside today lol
Just feeding us, reading and watching tv

I wish I was cookin' with gas!
Nice range, @WVDragonlady !!

We have the propane conversion kit. I only cook with propane anymore. I went the electric route way back in the 80's and wised up. Went through too many power outages where I couldn't cook for us and the kids. And we didn't have the money for a generator

I will say the absolute best way to make fried chicken is in my 1970's electric frying pan. lol It was given to us by the MIL when we got married but it had no manual ( I think she just wanted to get rid of it lol). I found one at a book sale of all places and found out you can even bake in the thing

Everyone is so busy. Love to see what all you are doing. I'm being online a bit (imagine that!) and received a text message from son-in-law this morning. Their 1 year old small horse of a dog had gotten a Barbie dress I made Granddaughter a Christmas agao. They were requesting a replacement. So, if I get some away time at the sewing machine, looks as if I'll be sewing Barbie clothes. Of course, that has me looking at neat patterns for Barbie from Etsy. Lots of neat one's there. (and I have one or two from 1970's and current versions also).

Hope everyone has a good day.

I said that too. But as soon as my girl was born, I knew I was gonna be doing tea parties, princess cartoons, and stuffed kittens. That's just the way it is, and I'm ok with that. If I ever have a granddaughter I expect I'll be doing it all over again...;)
I have 3 Grand daughters and they have me under their thumbs......always been a sucker for girls......:great:

Once it warmed up a little, I went outside and blew leaves of carport and drive, uncovered my little enchanted forest on the porch, made tuna salad and got Christmas card list ready. Actually, it is Mexican tuna salad made with tuna that was clearanced which contained onions, banana peppers and a little spice. I didn't realize what I had until I opened it, but I do like it! Went to our first Women's Bible Study tonight. Lots of folks there, about 14 or so. We will only meet once in December and twice in January. We will see after that, I guess. Good day overall!

I did more over the last two weeks than I usually do in a month. I'm feeling better today but still wiped out. The trucks finally finished spreading the 40 tons of lime over the pastures and fields today. Usually I'd keep an eye on things. Today I snoozed in my recliner and was mildly annoyed when another truck rumbled past my living room... :(

Latest posts

Back