What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent the day on the lake with my Step dad. We had a great time even though the motor wasn't working right, just used the trolling motor and didn't travel as far. Got back to his house and figured out what was wrong with the motor. $5 plastic piece was split. At least it's an easy fix.

Woke up very flu like, which was a total bummer because it was school picture day. So I had to go. Two to twelve year old kid pictures are funny. We have had the same great photographer for 5 years. This afternoon we took an all school group shot. It's usually done outdoors, but the winds today were incredible. So, we moved furniture in our science room and took it there. He'll be back tomorrow morning, one more day of photos. Did manage to get our home shopping done after work, and did get some very great deals, and now I feel totally wiped out and need to cook something simple for dinner.

Hope you get well soon .

Spent the day on the lake with my Step dad. We had a great time even though the motor wasn't working right, just used the trolling motor and didn't travel as far. Got back to his house and figured out what was wrong with the motor. $5 plastic piece was split. At least it's an easy fix.

Good for you BacP, the water is a peaceful place to be.

School is releasing early because of wind and sand? Awful. Stay in bed! Forget school!

Its like a blizzard except with sand/gravel. It HURTS!! It also sandblasts everything. There is a house just beyond the power pole and a mountain a few miles beyond that.
0410191313-1.jpg

Decided we would take it a little easier today so caught up on a number of small jobs that needed doing around the house.

DH put the repaired tyre back on the rideon and it is now back in the shed, he put together the new furniture removalist trolley so that is now done, and for a bit of fun we crawled around in the ceiling cavity to measure it for the insulation batts we are working on buying and good news is neither of us went through the ceiling :D . We then climbed on top of the roof with our new drill operated flue cleaner and cleaned the fireplace flue so we are ready for winter and then vacuumed up all the gunk that came out of the fireplace so it is all ready to go for winter now and while up on the roof I cleaned the 2 rainwater tank filters to get rid of all the leaves. Dh also put together the 3 piece fire tool set we picked up yesterday so that is now sitting proudly beside the fireplace.

Tonight's dinner will be the rest of our mince stir fry from last night.

BacP. It isn't always just biology that makes a good person it is character and soul. My kids were blessed with a good step father too.

You are so right Meer. My dad was killed in Nam and I never got to know him. But honestly I can't imagine he would have raised me any better than my step dad did.

Good morning, Meerkat! Glad you are back and well!

Had game day at Church on Tuesday--didn't win at all, then haircut (yay)! Got a call from doc that mammogram was fine, again yay!

Yesterday, I made and pressure canned 24 pints of dog food, roasted some elephant garlic, baked a little chicken to cut up for dog treats, dusted the house and marked the garden area for the fellow coming to till it up.

Today, I have red beans with sausage in the crockpot for the guys, and will be making some appetizers for Sunday school get together tonight. Will make cornbread before I go for the guys.

As of Monday, I have added two more blocks onto my morning walk and am jogging a short (very short) distance of it. It's making me a bit more tired right now, but think I will get used to it. That's about it for now in my life. I haven't felt like being on the computer or websites as much lately. Everything changes, though.

You are so right Meer. My dad was killed in Nam and I never got to know him. But honestly I can't imagine he would have raised me any better than my step dad did.

Bless your heart VN took away a lot of great young men. I'm a big fan of them because I knew and know so many from that war. I wish I could help more of them but now they won't even let you visit VA hospitals without third degree. Hubby and I tried.
Anyway glad a good man was there for you in his absence.

I have 13 berry plants that are going in the dirt today.
hetoday. Honey berry, Logan berry, boysenberry, and o e other one. Do t recall the name of it. Got plants last year but they were small. Felt like they may not make it, so I transplanted to 1 gallon pots and babies them. They look good now and today is the day.
Figures to, it's the hottest day of the year so far. 83. Oh well berries will be good when they start producing ing.

Bless your heart VN took away a lot of great young men. I'm a big fan of them because I knew and know so many from that war. I wish I could help more of them but now they won't even let you visit VA hospitals without third degree. Hubby and I tried.
Anyway glad a good man was there for you in his absence.
I have been honored to get to know a good deal of VN vets. Good people who got a very raw deal. I even got invited to a reunion my dads outfit held near here. Those guys, and their wives were awesome.

When I went to get the mail today there was a large wolf right next to the house. I don't mean it was in my field, it was right next to the house. It was smart enough to leave the area immediately when it saw me. I called the neighbor to warn them about the wolf in case they had any livestock outside but they know anyway because they lost a calf about a week ago to wolves.
If the ever is such a thing as TEOTWAWKI there will be less of many things, one of those things will be wolves.

Just having a hot chocolate and resting and waking up before emptying the supermarket of food as we need a lot of staples and picking up some 50% and up to weekly specials to top up the pantry and food storage with. No doubt we will get the oh no they are stocking for the apocalypse look yet again by numerous people. When they stare I just say we live a long way out of town :D. Don't you love it when people just completely stop what they are doing, stand in front of you and stare at you and have their mouths open?, or is it just an Australian thing ?.

Good morning @Meerkat and everyone :) .

Just having a hot chocolate and resting and waking up before emptying the supermarket of food as we need a lot of staples and picking up some 50% and up to weekly specials to top up the pantry and food storage with. No doubt we will get the oh no they are stocking for the apocalypse look yet again by numerous people. When they stare I just say we live a long way out of town :D. Don't you love it when people just completely stop what they are doing, stand in front of you and stare at you and have their mouths open?, or is it just an Australian thing ?.

Good morning @Meerkat and everyone :) .

Haha and a good morning to you too my Aussi friend. :huggs:

Hey Sewing, I get that look a lot and lots of rude comments. I tell them I own a preschool and have to buy a lot of stuff and then they smile. Seriously, don't people fill up shopping carts anymore? I was shocked the other day when I only filled up the Dollar Store cart halfway and the weirdo on register asked why I was buying so much. I was at a gun show once, and cracked up when a lady near me said to her husband really loud, "I love this place! I can say I need this, and this for the apocalypse and no one here looks at me funny!"

Round 1 of today and okay not feeling so weird now thanks @Amish Heart and you are right everyone in our supermarkets has piddly amounts of groceries in their shopping carts/trolleys which makes me think what the heck they eat if anything, which is why we probably stand out so much in the crowd :) .

The last town we shopped at in suburbia before we moved the grocery order manager bailed us up to ask us whether we owned a cafe and we said no we just hate shopping so only shop rarely and gave us our own VIP packing area down the back of the store :) . The supermarket we went to on Wednesday, again in suburbia, an elder gent gave me the look :eek: and completely stopped what he was doing until I said we lived out of town and then he said "thought you might of". Today on our grocery shop in our country area not one stare, it was a miracle :D as there are a lot of properties around here so I suppose we have now reached normality having moved to a country area :woo hoo: .

True to form we have done our staples grocery shop after not staples shopping for 3 months and emptied the shelves of tinned cream of chicken and mushroom soup, ice-cream and discounted produce in one small country supermarket. In the larger supermarket we emptied the shelves of generic chocolate chips, most of the powdered milk, most of the Himalayan pink salt, all of their tinned lychees, most of their tinned mangoes, all but one tin of tinned two fruits.

We had two trolleys full of items in the large supermarket and about a third trolley in the other supermarket we shopped at where we took advantage of lots of half price specials.

Soon we will date them and put them away in the food storage room, pantries and the freezer and fridge items are now put away.

Last edited:
@Sewingcreations15 and @Amish Heart I also fill carts. Growing up, we only made it to town about once a month or a bit longer and were shopping for the whole family. We would fill 2-3 carts at each store then the feed store for critter food etc. Now it's just hubby and I so we preserve what is in season for the rest of the year (well, at least we try, but I just had to buy a case of tomato sauce.) If I need salt, I get 50 lbs so I don't have to think about it for a very long time. There are very few things that I buy only a couple jars/cans of at a time. I get comments like "you must really like Worcestershire sauce." I usually say something along the lines of "yep, but really don't like shopping for it." They usually agree on that point. I considered getting a barrel of white vinegar, but not sure it would be convenient to use like the gallon jugs. You can laugh at me, it's okay. I just figure the fewer things I have to shop for the better - wish some things stored better, but ce la vie.
I'm glad you posted this as I don't usually mention it or I too get "the look."

Latest posts

Back