What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm starting to think several of us, had some .... Shall we say interesting times back in the day???
You don't know the half of it...LOL. I wouldn't say I was an alcoholic, but I had a pretty serious reputation in my 20s. Can't do that now though. It hurts too much, and to be honest it just seems like a lot of work to drink that much...:rolleyes:

Just on weekends?:D

Well I did have kids at home and mama watched them most of the time for us to go out. I got married too young to go out before that except teen dances. I saw lots of bands at them though, Sam The Sham' Wolly Bully'
Swinging Madallions 'Love Potion Number 9,
Billy Joe Royal' Down In The Booondocks
Joe South 'Games People Play' and many more. I'm from Atlanta where many of these bands grew up.

Well I did have kids at home and mama watched them most of the time for us to go out. I got married too young to go out before that except teen dances. I saw lots of bands at them though, Sam The Sham' Wolly Bully'
Swinging Madallions 'Love Potion Number 9,
Billy Joe Royal' Down In The Booondocks
Joe South 'Games People Play' and many more. I'm from Atlanta where many of these bands grew up.
That's actually pretty cool to have been there to see Rock n Roll history like that...

That's actually pretty cool to have been there to see Rock n Roll history like that...

First time I saw this guy was in a community rec center where us girls were playing cards and here walks in this handsome young man in a London Fog full of confidence. He went upstairs and played pool we didn't follow. Billy Joe sang the songs but Joe South wrote almost all of the songs Billy sang.

This was Joe South Billys best childhood friend and songwritter for most of the songs. Now I'm really going to call it a night,lol.

Last edited:
LOL. I was lucky to get away from my buddies from back then. Several of them friends or family of my EX. Doubtful I would still be alive if I hadn't gotten away back then.

I solved that problem by joining the Navy... But that presented a new set of problems... I was now "raising cain" in countries where I didn't speak the language! ;)

I solved that problem by joining the Navy... But that presented a new set of problems... I was now "raising cain" in countries where I didn't speak the language! ;)

I was lucky enough to divorce my Ex and move on with my life. Probably should have joined the Military. But I met my current wife and made my way thru electronics school and moved on with my life.

Only time in my life I was taken to jail… Lisbon Portugal. I was intoxicated but that wasn’t the issue…

Evidently… In Portugal it’s not illegal for a cab driver to cheat his patrons, especially if they are tourist. However, it is illegal to refuse to be cheated… It’d take me a week to tell the whole story!

Short story, 4hrs later I was back on my ship and I didn’t pay that lying cabbie a single dime!

I will add… the lying cabbie was with me in the cell the entire time… not making money with other fares. ;)

Guess he got the short end of the stick!

Last edited:
Today we started off the day with cleaning all the tables and chairs we borrowed from the RSL club and loading them in the trailer from our gardening day where we had friends over to help and have a housewarming party and we will take them back tomorrow.

I cleaned and scrubbed out the collapsible rainwater tank and rinsed it out to put behind the tank stand shed when we get more rain to catch the runoff. DH washed down the ride-on lawnmower, the tiller and the post hole auger bits as they were all really dusty and dirty and put them back in the back shed. He also packed away all of the hand tools and wheelbarrows as well and I folded up a tarp and put it back in the garden shed.

DH put on a load of washing and hung it on the clothesline to dry. We then had a home assessment from an occupational therapist from DVA which is the first time ever we have seen anyone and they are going to pay a travel allowance for DH going to his physiotherapy appointments, made a few recommendations to see an advocate to add other injury related conditions to his card and generally helped a great deal and is arranging for a home assessment person to come to the home and assess the equipment DH needs for his injuries. The travel allowance will ease the financial burden a bit while we are paying our mortgage so DH can go to more physio appointments for which DVA pays for as well.

DH just watered the neigbours gardens as we are house sitting and brought the washing in from the clothes line. We are both still sore from our gardening so relaxing for the evening.

I was a hellraiser in my teen years, but mom wasn't into being a mom, and dad no where to be found so....
Luckily I met my husband at 18. Probably would of had a different life that was not so good otherwise.
A couple of our grown kids coming for dinner tonight, and I'll be dutch oven cooking on the newly redone side yard. Probably chili, chicken, bacon potatoes, and bread rolls. Have a few more odds and ends to do out there today, and need to go buy animal feed and more straw. House cleaning on the agenda, too.

I was a hellraiser in my teen years, but mom wasn't into being a mom, and dad no where to be found so....
Luckily I met my husband at 18. Probably would of had a different life that was not so good otherwise.
A couple of our grown kids coming for dinner tonight, and I'll be dutch oven cooking on the newly redone side yard. Probably chili, chicken, bacon potatoes, and bread rolls. Have a few more odds and ends to do out there today, and need to go buy animal feed and more straw. House cleaning on the agenda, too.

I ran away and married at 17. Mama had lost the land and apartment to a swindler she married who left her with 2 kids change of life babies,both born in 1966! We hit poverty for first time and I was not into it. I packed up a black city provided garbage bag upstairs and threw it right in front of her downstiars window.:ghostly:. All she said when I walked out is " your jumping from the frying pan into the fire"[ can't fool mamas]. That was an understatement.He partied with the hippies shot pool and I stayed P.G.. Kids and I lucked up the second time though.

Last edited:
Same story with me, 10 years in the Navy with 3 long overseas cruises and enough alcohol to float an Aircraft Carrier. We all have some very interesting stories but I haven't seen any of them in 45 years so I'm safe.
OK, do you know how a drunk sailor can make a local understand what he is saying? Just speak really loud and slowly. That's the method us drunk sailor used.
My wife says if I hadn't married her when I was young I would have wound up living in some dive bar drinking my life away, or dead. She's probably right.

We got all the awnings up yesterday
Hubby is mowing the meadow and part of the woods now
I have a load of laundry going
bandit killed a snake and has blood around his neck and chest lol big dope. He's so proud of what he did. He was prancing around with his kill this morning so we had to praise him and make over him good. such a silly boy
Checked on my garden such as it is this year and it all looks good. growing nice. We get rain and then sun so I have't had to water anything but the window boxes on the front porch which are under the roof and don't get rained on
Had a fella who hubby knows ask him to help lay tile in his house this week some time. Have no idea what days he'll be doing that.
I know next week is supposed to be cooler so he'll probably be doing the siding then.

Same story with me, 10 years in the Navy with 3 long overseas cruises and enough alcohol to float an Aircraft Carrier. We all have some very interesting stories but I haven't seen any of them in 45 years so I'm safe.
OK, do you know how a drunk sailor can make a local understand what he is saying? Just speak really loud and slowly. That's the method us drunk sailor used.
My wife says if I hadn't married her when I was young I would have wound up living in some dive bar drinking my life away, or dead. She's probably right.

Well glad you married her BackL. I have a couple Navy vets in my family, one VNam other Gulf War. Gulf war ship had mine sweeping dolphins on it. One was lost for a little while but came back.

We got all the awnings up yesterday
Hubby is mowing the meadow and part of the woods now
I have a load of laundry going
bandit killed a snake and has blood around his neck and chest lol big dope. He's so proud of what he did. He was prancing around with his kill this morning so we had to praise him and make over him good. such a silly boy
Checked on my garden such as it is this year and it all looks good. growing nice. We get rain and then sun so I have't had to water anything but the window boxes on the front porch which are under the roof and don't get rained on
Had a fella who hubby knows ask him to help lay tile in his house this week some time. Have no idea what days he'll be doing that.
I know next week is supposed to be cooler so he'll probably be doing the siding then.

Glad the pooch is ok ,I always worry they will get hold of a poison one. So far so good. Sounds like your dog is a cute show off.

Latest posts

Back