What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started the day with slowly warming up here in front of the fire. Then got dressed and went to DH's physio appointment where his back brace was ready to pick up but unfortunately it was too big so they will have to exchange it for a smaller one.

Decided we would go and have a look at the local op shop and DH purchased 2 wool sports coats for $3 ea and a pair of work jeans for $1 and I purchased a warm dressing gown for $2 a lovely like new cream cardigan $3, a skirt for $2 and a lovely long like new wool coat for $3. DH is now an op shop convert now he has found clothing that fits him since he lost some weight but this store does seem to stock the larger sizes anyway which is great.

Then we went and did a little grocery shopping and stopped at the bakery and got hamburger rolls and some cream buns as I was craving them and hadn't eaten one in ages. Grocery shopping was next where we purchased 2 packets of croissants and a hot chicken for an easy dinner.

Back home where DH and I decided that that was enough work for the day and we will take the tables and chairs back to the RSL tomorrow as they said they were in no rush to get them back as they only use the extras for functions. I went next door and watered the neighbours gardens for her and we are relaxing for the evening with the slow combustion fireplace on.

Went early this morning for some blood work. Have a doc's appointment next week
Hubby is helping that guy do the tile in one of his bathrooms today and tomorrow. he took some extra days off work to get it done.Helping like this gets us help when we need it. When the well pump stopped working after 25 years 2 plumbers from work stopped by and had it pulled and the new one in, in less time than it would've taken hubby and I to do it
I have a load of laundry to do and the usual dishes
I have no idea what to make for supper yet, but it'll come to me here directly I suppose lol
Thinking of going to the restaurant supply store this week. they're having their chicken and seafood sale
And I have to check the local grocery's sale online to see what they have ( with the crop loss in the Midwest and out in california this year I want to stock up when I can)

I'm not doing anything productive yet today. I'm just hanging out at home. Something has me just a little under the weather, not terrible but it seems for the last 3 days I'll feel just fine for a while then suddenly I seem to crash and feel exhausted to the point of needing a nap. There's some gut trouble and indigestion with it. I thought maybe it was the rich Brazilian food I had last weekend but I doubt it now. So I'm just resting as much as possible. On the plus side, there have been some good documentaries on TV...

After all chores and walk, I made jambalaya in the slow cooker and set it to go.

Post office to mail out the Thank You cards that were made out Sunday. Thrift shop--Because that's what I do. Visited a friend in nursing home. Then Walmart for some produce.

Going to an audiologist for DH tomorrow afternoon about 45 miles away. Will hit thrift store maybe and come back by the salvage grocery. Yay!

I took my rear tire of the riding mower and had it replaced. The tire was old enough that the sidewall was cracked enough to leak. Three more to do but not till they start to go.
I have a Craftsman rider that i haven't used in years. I thought I would get it going and use it to mow the pasture. I finally figured out it was not worth my time and money. It needs all new tires. I priced them at Les Schwabs and they want $82 each for the rear, online is not much cheaper. The motor is still good but it had bad gas so that would have to be addressed. I will find someone that needs one and get rid of it.

I have a Craftsman rider that i haven't used in years. I thought I would get it going and use it to mow the pasture. I finally figured out it was not worth my time and money. It needs all new tires. I priced them at Les Schwabs and they want $82 each for the rear, online is not much cheaper. The motor is still good but it had bad gas so that would have to be addressed. I will find someone that needs one and get rid of it.
You can almost put tires on your car for $82 each...I would think your local farm store or Co-op could get you some tires way cheaper than that...but then again I haven't messed with older lawn tractors for quite a while so maybe I'm whistling in the wind...

Mine is a Craftsman LT1000. I paid $57 for my tire, mounted. The old tire was cracked all the way through due to age. I'll be replacing the other three as they go but that should be the only time I buy tires for it. The machine came with the house so I really don't have much into it. I need to put a new belt on the mower but I have a plastic shroud to remove before I can get into it.

Last edited:
Mine is a Craftsman LT1000. I paid $57 for my tire, mounted. The tire was cracked all the way through due to age. I'll be replacing the other three as they go but that should be the only time I buy tires for it. The machine came with the house so I really don't have much into it. I need to put a new belt on the mower but I have a plastic shroud to remove before I can get into it.
Those ol' Craftsman mowers are pretty good, especially the Husqvarna made ones. So long as the motor holds up, good to go!

I had a Poulan Pro years ago, which were supposed to have been built in the same factory as Husqvarna. The mower worked fine, but that 24hp Briggs&Stratton motor was crap. Before it had 300 hours it burned oil so bad it needed to be filled once an hour. By 430 hours it was totally shot. Kind of soured me on Briggs motors...

Started off the day with packing the chairs and tables we borrowed from the RSL club and took them back and put them in the secure lockup shed stacked neatly.

Back home where we started cleaning the ceiling cavity with a vacuum cleaner and then reverted to the dustpan and brush as the vacuum filter couldn't take it. We have done just over half the ceiling and plan on continuing tomorrow to complete it. Having difficulty getting to the eave panels as it is a sloped roof but we will work out some way of doing it.

Tonight's dinner was porridge as we were both exhausted from our ceiling expedition and gymnastics on my behalf getting to the outer roof panels by limboing under the roof joists to get to the next panel across. This is the one time I hate being tall on this job as my legs are wound up like liquorice sticks :eek: having to manoeuvre through such small spaces . Just as well I am not a big woman otherwise I probably would be stuck up there for a week.

I'm not doing anything productive yet today. I'm just hanging out at home. Something has me just a little under the weather, not terrible but it seems for the last 3 days I'll feel just fine for a while then suddenly I seem to crash and feel exhausted to the point of needing a nap. There's some gut trouble and indigestion with it. I thought maybe it was the rich Brazilian food I had last weekend but I doubt it now. So I'm just resting as much as possible. On the plus side, there have been some good documentaries on TV...

Hope you feel better soon Spike. Sometimes I feel bad too and wonder whats up but so far After while I feel ok till it happens again. :huggs:

Oh man, Meer. That looks awful.
I get my spots checked every couple of years. Last year had a half dime sized burnt off my face, can't even tell now. Also had a quarter sized on my arm. That one scarred.
It is a bummer being very fair skinned. I am white as can be. Don't know why people want to be tanned and go to tanning salons. I start my day with 50 sunblock, even in the winter, but we live in a high elevation, too.

Amish I just noticed that " AWFUL " looking picture was still up!

Sorry everyone I thought I edited it our a few days ago. Sometimes I'll get busy and forget to hit " save changes '.
I just did take it off though.

Those ol' Craftsman mowers are pretty good, especially the Husqvarna made ones. So long as the motor holds up, good to go!

I had a Poulan Pro years ago, which were supposed to have been built in the same factory as Husqvarna. The mower worked fine, but that 24hp Briggs&Stratton motor was crap. Before it had 300 hours it burned oil so bad it needed to be filled once an hour. By 430 hours it was totally shot. Kind of soured me on Briggs motors...

We bought a Poulan Pro in 2003 and still using it today. So far have replaced blades, starter,carberater. So basically it has been a good one.
Its a 52 inch cut lawn tractor.
But the ride on it is not as good as the ride on the Murry we had before. That was a smooth rider.

I'm getting the van ready for trips ,etc..
Found a good deal on form for bed. The form I had in our bus was really great so hope this one is too. No memory form for us for sure. 5 inch uphostery form is best for bed. Its ordered so will see.
Also making sure we know where chicken travel pen is and important papers in case we have to run from fires. Already have dog supplies loaded.
Doing light housework and cooking.

Latest posts

Back