What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resting a bit.
Will take another load of grocery bags totes over to new apartment in a bit.
Suppose to have help about 4pm we'll see.
Want to get as much put away, cleaned up at both places to control the clutter.
I honestly don't know how people live in such clutter.
This bit of clutter is driving me stir crazy here.
Still raining, thunderstorms but at least this morning didn't wake up to tornado warning sirens going off.
Not suppose to have rain Tuesday, then again on Friday.
So hopefully will get all the furniture moved on those two days.
Next move, saving for professional movers and trucks.

@Bacpacker yes the operation did help DH with his injuries and pain in that area. DH does say don't get back surgery unless it is your last option and yes any back surgery has very mixed results which is why DH and I say this. As DH's orthopedic surgeon said if tacking a dead toad to the end of your bed works to reduce your pain levels then do that :).

He finds floating weightless in water helps as do spas and relaxes the muscles which when all tensed up in knots cause the pain usually. Arnica cream works for his swelling around the area and pain relief too. DH is now having regular physiotherapy appointments his other back injuries seem to be hurting him less too, he has a lot of muscular damage in his back and stretching helps immensely too.

Sounds like your country drive was lovely even without finding a suitable property.

Surgery wasn't something I was looking for, but if it would help I was willing. But your description is the same as I've had from many others. I don't have much of an issue with swelling, but I do have problems with muscle spasams. Luckily they aren't bad most of the time. The PT has gotten me straightened out each time it's gotten bad. We got a TENS unit for the house a couple months back. That is the one thing I get at PT that helps more than anything.

The drive was great, just what we needed to clear out the grind at work.

Amish, it is a small world (or else there are a lot of Yoders!) I have Yoders in my family tree on my mother's side, mostly in the Lancaster, PA area. Maybe we are distant cousins! :woo hoo:
I remember a Yoder family in the Bremerton, Washington area, he had a search light on a trailer and big sound systems for fairs and such, never met them but I found this interesting wondering if it's a distant relative to you?

I remember a Yoder family in the Bremerton, Washington area, he had a search light on a trailer and big sound systems for fairs and such, never met them but I found this interesting wondering if it's a distant relative to you?
My cousin had a couple young Amish fellas breaking horses for him when he was a horse trader. They had gone out into the world and decided that being in business for themselves, breaking horses (and riding bulls in the rodeo) was more attractive than Amish life. I guess they liked women and beer too much to go back. Lol. They were named Yoder too...

My daughter was in a fundraising walk this morning so I took her to that. I ended up babysitting her little half sister while while daughter and her mom participated. The little one isn't even my kid, how did I end up with that job? Lol. After that I went for a 6 mile bike ride while daughter worked on writing a short story. Now we're about to go to Dairy Queen for a Sunday (sundae?) Treat...:thumbs:

Yay!!
The old sewing room is now empty except for Strawberry's kennel, Estelle's toddler bed and her pink kitchen, Gram's sewing machine, red chair, quilting frames.
Even the closet is emptier.
Will finish up that room completely Monday.
Hopefully will work on packing up the rest of my room.
Throwing stuff away.
Will start taking pictures off the walls everywhere Monday.
Have already taken down pictures in bathroom, sewing room, hallway.
Just got a few left to take down in living room, kitchen.
Will finish the kitchen by Tuesday and start giving it a GI cleaning.
As I take things over to new apartment, I try to put it away.
Kitchen is beginning to look like and organized kitchen.
Can't hardly wait to do laundry in my own home again.
It's been 7 long years without a washer and dryer.
Took 25 (18 gallon totes) over to the new apartment this afternoon.
No furniture to put it in, bummer.
But getting closer to getting done.
There are Yoders here in my neck of the woods too.
Here they do timber framing, roofing, build barns, sheds.
Nice people.

There are a lot of Yoders. Ha.
Got the mean old turkey cooked, meat stripped, and frozen. Filled two dehydrators, one tomatoes, the other apples. Got animals done, went into work for awhile. Cleaned out the worm farm, and ended up with 3 gallon bags of casings. Husband cleaned my carry. It's a 1911 and a pain to clean. Lots of laundry, some cleaning. Ready for bed. Work tomorrow, and Mondays are never fun. Granddaughter starts ROTC day camp tomorrow.

Today did a bit of banking and managed to replace the purchase price of this laptop I just purchased back into the savings account by being super frugal with the budget.

Then out into the gardens where we cut the 8 cross pieces of galvanised pipe framework with our metal reciprocating saw with the metal blade and finished some sections off with the hacksaw and the other long spans we got put together on Friday last week. We got all excited to start putting up the framework on top of the posts and it started raining :( . Well at least it didn't rain on our electrical saw I suppose. So far no money spent on our enclosure as we are using all recycled materials :).

Tonight's dinner was fish fingers, steamed frozen peas, corn and capsicum and dessert was tinned pears with chocolate fudge sauce, yum.

Ok, so I'm trying to take this whole "Get Into Shape" thing seriously...I've been doing some walking and weightlifting, but nothing intense. The doctor said I need to lose weight - and I always said if I ever hit 250 pounds, I'd go on a diet and work out. Well...last checkup I weighed 251. I can't jog because of my back, and TBH I'm too fat and it hurts my knees. So on an impulse, I went into the bike shop, and came out with a used crossbreed bike. It cost me $240 which I thought was a lot, but when I looked at good quality new ones I just about had to clean out my drawers...A similar new bike starts at $700 and goes up to where I could buy a used car for the same money.

So, I took it out for my first real ride tonight. 40 minutes on fairly level terrain wasn't a killer, but I'm gonna feel it tomorrow. I do think I could have done 15 or 20 more minutes but no need to make it hurt on the first day.

I got to thinking, a bike has SHTF implications as well. For a person in shape, 5 or 6 miles on a bike is nothing. Even 10 miles should take no more than an hour. If fuel gets to be in short supply, biking could be a great way to go...
If you want to loose weight, just cut out 2 things - sounds simple enough right? Wheat and sugar - both with addictive properties so you'll want more. Go ahead and look at food. They bread everything or add sugar. Sounds like you are in a good mindset on the getting in shape part. I need to dust off my bike (yes it has dust on it at the moment - erg!)

Yesterday had a Dr appt for my back. I had an MRI a few weeks back and we discussed it. I have 2 herniated disc at L4/5 and L5/S1. I've had both for better than 30 years. Most days aren't too bad, but when it's acting up it's hard to put shoes on, let alone do anything. After discussing symptoms and how and what I do, they told me I was a poor candidate for surgery. Thats a good thing. Wants me to stretch which I do several times a day, take ibuprofen as needed, and walk. Take PT when it's acting up. I also have some arthritis in my lumbar area.
All in all about what I expected to hear. Glad I don't need surgery.
Have you looked into an anti-inflammatory diet? Ibuprofen is the #1 OTC drug sold (an anti-inflammatory) when often times a change in diet negates the need for the drug. Not trying to play doctor, just don't like meds. and often doctors don't offer it as an option.

There are a lot of Yoders. Ha.
Got the mean old turkey cooked, meat stripped, and frozen. Filled two dehydrators, one tomatoes, the other apples. Got animals done, went into work for awhile. Cleaned out the worm farm, and ended up with 3 gallon bags of casings. Husband cleaned my carry. It's a 1911 and a pain to clean. Lots of laundry, some cleaning. Ready for bed. Work tomorrow, and Mondays are never fun. Granddaughter starts ROTC day camp tomorrow.
Ya gotta love a woman that carries a 1911. :D

Have you looked into an anti-inflammatory diet? Ibuprofen is the #1 OTC drug sold (an anti-inflammatory) when often times a change in diet negates the need for the drug. Not trying to play doctor, just don't like meds. and often doctors don't offer it as an option.

I'm just starting to look into the diet possiblities. Plants based remidies as well.

FWIW turmeric is a great anti inflammatory. I was pretty sceptical but it has done wonders for my poor old aching knees. Hasn’t cured the problem but has made life more bearable. It was recommended to me by a friend with herniated discs.

FWIW turmeric is a great anti inflammatory. I was pretty sceptical but it has done wonders for my poor old aching knees. Hasn’t cured the problem but has made life more bearable. It was recommended to me by a friend with herniated discs.
Turmeric didn't help me but moringa has been wonderful to my hands and knees.

Turmeric didn't help me but moringa has been wonderful to my hands and knees.
Terri I just noticed your tag line and I had to giggle. A couple of months I was dealing with a customer service department about a software issue for the bed and breakfast. The lady was very polite and professional but English was quite far down on her list of languages, several times she referred to my wife and I as “ your majesty and the missus”.

Personally, I like Rev. Dr. But I don't have an earned doctorate. I only want that one for when I am dealing with snobby academics and professionals. Since ecclesiastical titles predate other degrees, a Rev. Dr. trumps a plain old Dr. I guess the topper would be Lord Rev. Dr but I am in no immediate danger of being granted a knighthood

@Bacpacker the tens machines in PT work on a different and stronger frequency than the shop purchased tens machines so are more effective. With the muscle spasms you can take high doses magnesium and calcium tablets to stop the spasms but best to run this past your doctor to see what they think and prescribe the right dose for you or alternatively you can do it by adjusting your diet. You can also try epsom salts baths when your pain level is high as the magnesium will absorb through your skin and help too. Arnica or comfrey cream works to numb the pain too but best to try them both to see which one works for you as different things work on different people.

If you are looking at dietary foods that may help with the muscle spasms look to eating foods with a high magnesium content eaten with calcium sources which helps the magnesium to absorb into the system and here is an article I found that will get you on the right dietary track -

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/07/10/what-foods-contain-magnesium_a_23024245/ .

Today I started the day off with putting on a load of washing on, hanging it on the clothes line and watered some of the gardens beds with saved grey water from the washing machine. I then set off the pump from the grey water tank and watered the mandarin tree that I had put fertilising pellets around to water them in. I then paid all of the money's into varying accounts for groceries, bills, electricity etc from my pay and I paid my tithe so that is all organised for the fortnight.

We both folded up a load of clean laundry and put it away and then DH washed the dishes cleaned the benches and I wiped them and put them away.

Out into the garden we went and put up the whole galvanised piping framework on the posts for the garden enclosure and bolted it all together using pipe clamps. Got a phone call from the company delivering our log splitter and it will be delivered tomorrow week in a truck with a luggage lift so no lifting at all from DH or I.

Tonight's dinner was homemade mince, mushrooms and beans taco with a store bought taco kit.

Animal chores, work, picking green beans. Need to teach new assistant how to run a fire drill. Moving the terror child to a different classroom today before the current teacher quits. Granddaughter in day 2 of ROTC summer orientation. Said yesterday was all talking, but today they are testing for air rifle, and that is something she likes.

Latest posts

Back