What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a lot moved yesterday.
Was suppose to rest today, because I got hot yesterday.
Instead put away all the totes we had brought over yesterday all but 5 are put away.
Was going to go over as soon as Strawberry put herself to bed and work for a while.
but instead eating leftover, hickory smoked bbq ribs dad had cooked up for us a couple of days ago.
Yummy!
I'll go over tomorrow instead of tonight getting tired.
Needto find my bed, will be so glad when my dresser gets over here.
Will GI clean the old apartment this weekend.
Drinking lots and lots of ice water.
Coffee is made up for morning.

Still got to unload my car of paver blocks.
putting them down then will put freezer on top of stones so it will clear water heater drain pipe in the mechanical room.
another job checked offmy list.
while I unload pavers, Strawberry will get hold of washcloth that I wiped my hands and face on.
Win, win situation.
I don't have to listen to her bark, she thinks she's pulling a fast one on mom.....lol..lol….

Glad your moving is going well, @MoBookworm1957

What a difference DH's hearing aids make! So much better! He can adjust the volume on his phone and I think answer the phone through the hearing aids. Went to a thrift store in the same town and did well. Came home and trying to get used to not yelling anymore. Not as easy as I thought.

Just realized that my docs office scheduled my next appt. on a Friday. They are not even there on Fridays and this is for July 5th--during the Holiday. Will try to get it fixed tomorrow. They will say that it is my mistake (must have written it down wrong) but after the last "mistake" I saved the card they handed me.

Last edited:
Will try to get it fixed tomorrow. They will say that it is my mistake (must have written it down wrong) but after the last "mistake" I saved the card they handed me.

I just had something similar. We used our Home Depot card to buy our central A/C-heat pump with 6 months no interest. It was due to be paid off June 16th. I paid it off on the 7th and double checked on the 13th to be sure. I took a screen shot of it showing a $0 balance. 2 days ago I got a text alert for a $200 charge. They tried to say my balance was a bit over $100 so they added the interest.
NOPE!! I called and told them it was paid and I had a screenshot showing a $0 balance on the 13th. The supervisor fixed it after I asked where to send the screen shot to.

I was at the hospital with the kid, her heart rate was at 239 and wouldn't go down. She fell over but she tried to tell me she laid down so I wouldn't worry but I saw her. We spent 2 hrs with only 4 people in the waiting room and never saw a Dr. Her heart rate finally went down to 90 so we left. She already has an apt with her cardiologist Friday morning so I'll call him in the morning. Next time I'll drive her the 80 miles to the city hospital.

Yes I have many times had bill companies say I haven't paid something when I have and kept all the receipts for fortunately. They soon back down when you say you have every single receipt of payment. I am sure they do it deliberately as I would say that most don't keep financial records @Terri9630.

Hope they find out how to level your daughter's heart beat so she can live a somewhat normal life without fainting and falling over all the time.

Today I started off the morning with stain removing come clothing, put on a load of washing, and hung it on the clothes line to dry. I then weeded the spider plants and canna lily garden bed and both the canna lily beds and then watered them with saved grey water from the washing machine. DH also vacuumed the whole house and I am about to deep clean the bathrooms and toilet for the week.

After the washing we went out into the back garden and wired on half of the heavy duty chicken wire on the top of the garden enclosure and still have the other half to do.

This afternoon DH washed the dishes, cleaned the benches and I wiped them and put them away.

Tonight's dinner was fried sausages, eggs and cheese.

Made a dump cake for DH and one for a funeral Saturday. Dropped the second one off at Church fridge. Went to Courthouse to make sure I can keep check from jury duty (I was dismissed for DH's doc appt). Made picadillo for the next few dinners for DH and room mate. Weeded in garden.

Doctor appt. is supposedly correct. They started opening again on Fridays for half day. NO mistake!

Last edited:
Yep. For good. Been running the place for 16 years, and another 2 years in home. After finding out the latest assistant lied about her sister dying, causing us to cancel our farm trip at the very last moment, and then lying again about her mother needing assistance, I give up. The place has been up for sale on the commercial listings for 9 months, just no sign out front. Without an assistant or kitchen worker, it puts me on a 10 hour day, 50 hour week. So I've been doing that for the last couple of weeks, with no end in sight. We have a trip to the farm scheduled in 4 weeks, and I would have to cancel again. Husband probably needs another surgery, and I'd like to be there. Kinda lost it when the crazy lady called in yet again. Told husband enough was enough. I have no life. I'm tired of takeout at 7:00 every night. So we agreed to tell our employees and students on Monday, and close it up on the 19th. Hope we sell it soon, we have to pay the mortgage each month, even though there'll be no income on it. Our agent did show it this morning to someone interested in a day place for disabled adults.

Thanks! I'm excited for this. Not excited to tell our employees on Monday, but it'll give them three weeks notice and we plan on giving them a bonus if they stick out the three weeks. We have wonderful employees, seven of them. It'll feel really good to be around for my family, and not have to always put work first. I hate that. Not being able to be home to keep a clean house, always rushing, always saying I can't go to this or that, stuck with takeout.
Youngest daughter came by unexpectedly this afternoon and called me at work wondering how to turn off all of the house alarms. The police came a few days ago because the cat set them off. At least this time, Simpli Safe called husband first before the police. This system works really, really well.

Thanks! I'm excited for this. Not excited to tell our employees on Monday, but it'll give them three weeks notice and we plan on giving them a bonus if they stick out the three weeks. We have wonderful employees, seven of them. It'll feel really good to be around for my family, and not have to always put work first. I hate that. Not being able to be home to keep a clean house, always rushing, always saying I can't go to this or that, stuck with takeout.
Youngest daughter came by unexpectedly this afternoon and called me at work wondering how to turn off all of the house alarms. The police came a few days ago because the cat set them off. At least this time, Simpli Safe called husband first before the police. This system works really, really well.
Will be praying as you tell staff; for a quick sale and for peace of mind through this time of transition

@Amish Heart fantastic news for you and yes you were running yourself ragged and it shouldn't have to be that hard. Good employees in any field are hard to find and I can understand why you lost it with the new assistant as she sounds like a bit of a nutter to be truthful.

Hopefully the school will sell shortly so you are no longer paying the mortgage on it and you will be able to spend quality time at home with your husband and grand children and be able to get more done.

Oh happy day! I wonder if you will be busier than you have ever been, or bored to death?

OK. Big news. Got you beat, Lazy L. I shut down our school on July 19.

I will be busy but it will now be proactive projects.

Got me beat? Today's my last day at work. June 30 at midnight I'm officially unemployed and retired. :lil guy:

Getting my things ready to move to the ALC. Amazing how much you DON'T need, but have accumulated over the years! Got an invitation from them to attend their 4th of July BBQ!! Chicken, pork, beef, with sides of baked beans, potato salad, macaroni salad, cole slaw, mashed potatoes, etc., plus pies and ice cream, coffee/tea. Checked their "Events Calendar," and sure enough they have "Specials" on all major holidays from New Year's to Christmas! There's a few meals I won't have to cook!!

Congrats, LazyL!! Thinking you were July. You're almost there!
I have a terribly long day today, and at least 150 hrs of work smashed into the next three weeks. Then on to the farm. Then back to deal with an entire 4000 square feet cleanout of a school. I'll be bringing some items up to the Amish school when I go to the farm, some books and things, but won't even make a dent. It may sell as a school, so in that case, I can leave the basics. It has a commercial kitchen and could also sell as a restaurant. Then, I'd be emptying the whole building out.

Today we started off the morning with DH putting on a load of whites in the washing machine that were soaking overnight, hung it on the clothes line to dry. I then spread lime on 4 garden beds and DH and I watered it in with grey water from the washing machine.

Out into the garden next where we attached two more runs of heavy duty chicken wire to the galvanised pipe frame on the other garden bed and I joined up the runs of wire with netting clips. I then cut the two pieces of shade cloth to go over both garden beds and dug in some charcoal with the shovel into another garden bed.

This afternoon we went on our date day to the RSL club and had a few games of pool together and with another friend down there and had a couple of soft drinks. When we got home we brought in the two loads of clean laundry from the clothesline.

@Amish Heart Oh my! Glad you no longer have to deal with that child! Sounds like the last thing you need right now.
@Sewingcreations15 Woohoo! You found them:)
@Spikedriver Good for you! Spending time with friends is important.

Yesterday I had to drive to Tualitan, OR pulling a trailer and today to Lewiston, ID. Lewiston is more ups and downs, more difficult drive when hauling a trailer full of metal but at least they know what trailers are over there. Going the other direction through Portland, they will try to cut off the trailer to keep it from getting in front of them like it's not attached to the rig. Idiots!
PS @Bacpacker Since you're all out of lawn to mow, you could come mow mine :). I got it weed-eated but not mown.

@Amish Heart Oh my! Glad you no longer have to deal with that child! Sounds like the last thing you need right now.
@Sewingcreations15 Woohoo! You found them:)
@Spikedriver Good for you! Spending time with friends is important.

Yesterday I had to drive to Tualitan, OR pulling a trailer and today to Lewiston, ID. Lewiston is more ups and downs, more difficult drive when hauling a trailer full of metal but at least they know what trailers are over there. Going the other direction through Portland, they will try to cut off the trailer to keep it from getting in front of them like it's not attached to the rig. Idiots!
PS @Bacpacker Since you're all out of lawn to mow, you could come mow mine :). I got it weed-eated but not mown.

I must have misspoke, I've mowed on mi e for 2 evenings and still haven't finished. Sorry

Getting my things ready to move to the ALC. Amazing how much you DON'T need, but have accumulated over the years! Got an invitation from them to attend their 4th of July BBQ!! Chicken, pork, beef, with sides of baked beans, potato salad, macaroni salad, cole slaw, mashed potatoes, etc., plus pies and ice cream, coffee/tea. Checked their "Events Calendar," and sure enough they have "Specials" on all major holidays from New Year's to Christmas! There's a few meals I won't have to cook!!
This will help with community building. The holidays are important to many people. When family is no longer close, this will give everyone an option.

Wishing you the best in your move. I keep cleaning stuff out. I give my stuff to a local charity that runs a thrift store where the profits are used for homeless youth. It is one of the few that is not one of the big national thrift stores. I imagine that many homeless youth are from the LGBT community, but I have known homeless youth whose parents just wanted them gone. One classmate of my daughters had her bedroom cleaned out before h.s. graduation, at her parent's demand. Her parents had finished their responsibility of 18 years and they were pushing her out. I just cannot imagine doing that to a child, except if there were many other problems. In this situation, there was not.

Nothing special today. Did pick up my new spectacles this morning. Still trying to get used to the new prescription lol
Other than that just a normal day
Hubby starts another week vacation today after work. Have to use those PTO hours up or they're gone at the end of the year ( used to be they'd roll over but not anymore)
He plans on putting new decking on the back deck.

Latest posts

Back