What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much fun stuff today. Had to drag a 36' extentsion ladder around the house to clean the gutters. Then worked on the Kubota, dropped the deck and cleaned it up good. Changed oil and filters on the tractor. Then put it all back together. 90 something today and a lot of humidity. Nasty but not near what Spikedriver had to deal with. I wouldn't function well in those conditions.

So far this morning I've made our breakfasts
Then helped hubby move supplies to the back of the house for tomorrow. He has 2 guys coming to help him tear off the old decking and putting on new plastic decking
harvested 3 green peppers and 2 cucumbers and a handful of raspberries
have 3 trays of herbs drying in the dehydrator
and now I'm taking a break and eating a snack ( banana) and having my second big glass of water for the day ( I drink 5 16oz glasses of water every day)
still have hubby's laundry to do
boil some eggs
make pasta salad later
and start moving my containers off the back deck when its in the shade. its too darn hot out there right now

Then helped hubby move supplies to the back of the house for tomorrow. He has 2 guys coming to help him tear off the old decking and putting on new plastic decking
This is a project I need to get done on my house, removing old deck. Deck is old and needs to go. Part of it has a roof that is set into concrete that is maybe 3 feet high off the ground, and then wide metal poles. Roof is maybe 12 foot high off of concrete. I want to enclose the roofed area (12 x 20)and make an enclosed porch that can be used for a pantry and other storage. Then, my thought is to pour a concrete patio in the yard. Less maintenance, longer durability.

Not much fun stuff today. Had to drag a 36' extension ladder around the house to clean the gutters. Then worked on the Kubota, dropped the deck and cleaned it up good. Changed oil and filters on the tractor. Then put it all back together. 90 something today and a lot of humidity. Nasty but not near what Spikedriver had to deal with. I wouldn't function well in those conditions.
Climbing the 36 foot ladder is a scary experience. I do not like climbing ladders, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Climbing the 36 foot ladder is a scary experience. I do not like climbing ladders, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Not my favorite thing to do. But gutters were overflowing in a couple spots, leaves had clogged the entrance to the primary downspout. Ladder is heavy and my property ain't flat, so moving it around is no fun either. But I seem to have a harder time getting it stood up without the bottom scooting out. Glad thats done for now.
Good thing SHTF didn't happen last night. I might have missed it! I wasn't worth shooting when I got done.

Just been staying busy the last few days. Church today. Made cake for Church last night when I got home about 7pm, Served dinner and helped clean up after. Was given a huge container of jambalaya that wasn't well spiced. Brought it home and froze half. Will saute bell peppers, celery onions and garlic with tomato sauce and add to jambalaya. Ought to be fine then--and spice it up. Several meals for the guys for free are hard to turn down!

Tomorrow will do my monthly Walmart run and Dollar Tree for frozen fruit for smoothies. July 11th I will be done losing weight and just work on maintaining--like I have been for the last 3 months. Just hope to lose another 5 pounds and that's it. Will do the original Green Smoothie cleanse for the next two weeks to move the loss along.

Worked from 0600 to 1530. It was a fairly easy day, but the heat index was still over 100. After work I came home (only a 15 minute drive - it's like heaven for me) and chugged 20 oz. of water, stretched, and hopped on the bike. Did 8.5 miles in 50 minutes but that includes 3 water stops, one at a gas station, one at Dollar General, and one at the prairie park. It wasn't a very fast pace, but it's too damn hot to ride hard...tonight is going to be a Walmart run, homemade burgers, and some good sleep! Then I'm off work until the 8th of July.

Shopping for a new refrigerator. The other one has died, compressor quit. It was 15 years old. I am using a dorm sized fridge in the meantime that I had when I was teaching. I have often thought about getting a used fridge for the garage, and this would have been a great time to have had one. In the mean time, I can keep my half and half, cheese and misc. cold. The freezer is getting really cleaned out. My upright freezer is full, or I would have moved stuff over there.

I was disabled in my early 30’s so I have been “retired” for nearly 30 years. I have been kept pretty busy as a volunteer. Just because a person is disabled from typical employment doesn’t mean they don’t have a contribution. Virtually everyone no matter how badly disabled or what form their disability can contribute. I don’t believe that anyone should get a cheque for nothing. Perhaps they need to be retrained, perhaps lesser hours, whatever accommodations need to be made they can put back into the system even if it is not paid employment. God designed us to work.

Retirement doesnt mean we kick back and do nothing for the rest of our lives, it might be a change of pace or direction. There is perhaps more time for recreation, maybe even a season. I shake my head at the wasted life’s of people who retir3 just to spend their lives playing golf or whatever.

So most of you know my 11 year old Jake, hes a kind of a little go getter! His papa give him some jobs to do, a lot of work for a kid brush cutting and such. He promised him the old BMW that has been sitting in his driveway for years when he got the work done. I don't think his papa thought he could get it done this summer but the kid already finished it and we brought his car home today after a couple hours of shade tree wrenching.

525.jpg

525 2.jpg

Had one. Didn't help.
Go to the pharmacy and ask for the salt pills firefighters take. They are potassium something er nother. Hubby has to take those when it gets that hot. Helps you keep your water, because as you said after a certain amount your body is going into survival mode.

A busy last few days - Thursday to Tualitan OR, Friday to Lewiston, ID, Saturday got apricots going on the dehydrator and mowed half of lawn. Today up the mountain to mow that lawn and haul another load back here, then mowed the rest of our yard and continued moving the pile of river rock. Tomorrow, back to work.
I did discover something about city drivers. They don't compute that the trailer is attached to the rig towing it. They will try to cut the trailer off like it's a car. Crazy!
Also, @Amish Heart Hallelujah! I am so happy for you and will pray it works out.
@hashbrown That is awesome! Good for him.

So most of you know my 11 year old Jake, hes a kind of a little go getter! His papa give him some jobs to do, a lot of work for a kid brush cutting and such. He promised him the old BMW that has been sitting in his driveway for years when he got the work done. I don't think his papa thought he could get it done this summer but the kid already finished it and we brought his car home today after a couple hours of shade tree wrenching.

View attachment 11309

View attachment 11310

I saw that on YouTube. I'm almost jealous!!

Today we went for DH's and my doctors appointments and they decided not to cut out the growth on my nose as it was a lower grade cancer growth than initially thought. They did however recommend I get some cream to go on my face to get rid of all of the carcinomas in one go by applying it for 3 - 4 weeks. It will probably make me look like I have a bad case of sunburn at worst or a good case of adult acne at best :) and I will get the cream next time we are in town at the doctors after reading up on the brochure. It is better than having scars all over my face from them burning or cutting them out perpetually.

It is now confirmed I have high cholesterol caused most likely by an under active thyroid and I have to go back in a month to have more blood tests to recheck thyroid levels and cholesterol. Good news is that the previous doctor who never told me I had high cholesterol from the previous blood test is no longer there and my cholesterol levels have dropped .4 points since then but still a long way to go says the new doctor. I am controlling it with eating healthily and exercising.

DH got DVA referrals to both a psychologist and psychiatrist to assess him for PTSD and treatment on how to cope with his anxiety.

Did some shopping and picked up half price specials and better on 4 moisturisers, 9 mouthwash, and discounted wholemeal bread, hamburger rolls, cream buns and cheese and bacon rolls for DH. We then went to the auto store to pick up our order of hydraulic oil for the wood splitter coming on Wednesday. Had some lunch while we were there which is paid for with our DVA meal allowance.

Tonight's dinner was the other half of our homemade quiche.

Last edited:
Hey, Sewing. I'm get those nasty spots, too. When they got really bad, I went in for acid peels. Not fun, and you look like a monster for a while. Now I just go in once a year and have any spots individually zapped with acid. I where #50 sunblock every day, but we live at a high elevation, too.
Home you're feeling better today, Timmie.
Off to work to tell 7 employees that they will not have a job in 3 weeks. Ugh.

New assistant didn't show...called in and said she was worried about her mom in California, so didn't sleep well, so can't come in. I doubt I'll see her again. Had to disenroll the feral child. He tried to choke a boy at recess, the teacher got him off of him. When I tried to calm him down, he spit all over my face, kicked me in the shin, and then threw a punch and hit me in the eye. Referred him to a special needs preschool. Sister stays, she seems fairly normal.

:ghostly: that child may be a huge problem in the future. Hope not.

Drove down to Kansas City today and spent the evening with my best friend from high school. Tomorrow we're all going to the KC zoo. It's good to spend time with old friends...

Yes it does, I still talk to my friend of over 50 years a few times a week. As we age most people we grew up with as children are gone one way or the other.

Breakfast
dishes
cut some herbs
have the herbs in the dehydrator drying
washing the whites
putting away the folded laundry
cleaning some floors
dusting
removed our names from the magazines and catalog we have so we can drop them off to recycle them ( shouldn't let the stack get so big lol)
bought a tshirt online for a retired K9 dog to off set her vet bills and such for her handler's/partner's family ( once retired the bills are the family's responsibility)
catching up on some reading
then later I'll go down the lane to get the mail, make supper, load the dishwasher, get hubby's lunch ready, and the coffee pot and then finally bed

Sounds like you had a great day. :thumbs:

Worked from 0600 to 1530. It was a fairly easy day, but the heat index was still over 100. After work I came home (only a 15 minute drive - it's like heaven for me) and chugged 20 oz. of water, stretched, and hopped on the bike. Did 8.5 miles in 50 minutes but that includes 3 water stops, one at a gas station, one at Dollar General, and one at the prairie park. It wasn't a very fast pace, but it's too damn hot to ride hard...tonight is going to be a Walmart run, homemade burgers, and some good sleep! Then I'm off work until the 8th of July.
be careful Spike.

Knee is better so now trying to catch up on work I didn't do. Thought I'd come in and say hello to all before I get busy. Yesterday I did transplant 7 eggplant plants hat were in containers and needed watering every day. moved to raised bed since they just didn't want to stop producing and fighting the heat. I had to weed and dig up potato vines and briar's. Double dug since we haven't used it in a couple years now. So got my exercise on that.
I have to be really careful and not forget that I'm not ired till I stop then I think I'm going to DIE! :ghostly: Doesn't make sense but thats how it is, seems liek I'd learn by now.:oops::confused:

I went ahead and did the monthly Walmart, Dollar Tree shopping yesterday evening. So far today, I've made 2 large slow cookers of dog food, made tuna salad and cooked up a lot of bell peppers, onions, celery and garlic to add to my free jambalaya from yesterday. And paid bills and did month ending books. So glad I don't have to go anywhere today. Just pressure can the dog food when it is done later.

I went ahead and did the monthly Walmart, Dollar Tree shopping yesterday evening. So far today, I've made 2 large slow cookers of dog food, made tuna salad and cooked up a lot of bell peppers, onions, celery and garlic to add to my free jambalaya from yesterday. And paid bills and did month ending books. So glad I don't have to go anywhere today. Just pressure can the dog food when it is done later.

All the recalls we have been making our dog food too. it can be a little bit of a job.

Hubby and the guys started at 6 am this morning while it was "cooler"
They finished up the decking by 1 pm today. All thats left is the railing and hubby will do that by himself
I folded laundry
watered the window boxes on the front porch
made lunch for the work crew ( chicken salad and pasta salad)
Been doing some reading staying out of the way of the work ( what do I know about building? lol)
Hubby is sitting in the living room in front of a fan listening to nothing ( decompressing from the heat)
I have to head down and get the mail
Fix supper
get the coffee pot ready for tomorrow
then bed

edited to add that we bought 3 tons of pellets for the winter. we'll pick it up one day this week

Last edited:
Not feeling up to par today. My blood glucose was high this morning - it was low in the middle of the night, and I overcompensated. So I have been kind of a worthless turd so far today. Feeling a bit better now, so this evening we'll see about getting some things done. I've got an appointment to make sure my heel problem is plantar fasciitis and not something else tomorrow morning.

@Amish Heart the joys of having fair skin/redhead in my case, is all this sun damage. Ask your doctor about Efudix as a cream treatment over 3 - 4 weeks. It attacks all of the carcinomas and kills them all at once rather than having them burnt off individually and no scarring either. Best to ask your doctor if this would suit you better.

I always wear a broad brimmed hat, long sleeved shirts and jeans even in winter when I go out in the sun and work in the coolest parts of the day too.

I might dare even show you all how part of my face looks during the treatment :eek: .

Latest posts

Back