What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had my toes broken today at the VA. My hammer toes were causing a problem so they straightened them and put pins in for the next six weeks. Eventually this means less pain and almost eliminates the chance of infection. I almost placed this the prepping thread as this should reduce my need for a doctor, at least for this one condition.

@Dani just catching up on posts. So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope I am as fortunate in my old age as Granny was to have you. Thoughts and prayers of the very best to you.
@Meerkat You are awesome. I think your eyes must be improving. Your typing is getting better each day. And I think all computers are out to make us sound like imbeciles.
@Amish Heart Maybe she won't have to go back after Thanksgiving :ghostly:

It's been in the low 20s here the last couple nights. Almost 10* difference between our house and the airport readings. Airport is at the other end of town but doesn't seem like it should make that much of a difference.
It's been a busy week - just work, but busy. Next weekend is Spokane Quilt Show. My mom and sometimes aunt and SIL go (&me). This year just Mom and I are going but I'm looking forward to it. I've been to quite a few across the NW and it's one of the nicest I've attended.

Yesterday was housework day so I deep cleaned the two bathrooms and toilets and DH broke down the box from the new stove and packaging and got it in the bin. I put on a load of washing in the washing machine and hung it on the clothes line to dry and DH vacuumed the whole home.

This morning round 1 is that we have rearranged the lounge room into a better configuration and I have damp dusted the walls, bookshelves, entertainment unit, walls, skirting boards, doors and about to damp dust the tv entertainment unit and more walls, skirting boards and doors. We got rain glorious rain that came in last night and the overflow from the top two 3000 gallon tanks have almost topped the lower 5000 gallon tank :woo hoo:and the vegetable gardens are well watered along with the potted herbs and fruit trees and lawns. We put the sprinkler from the grey water out last night and the water from the rain and watered all of the canna lilies in the side of house gardens.

Last edited:
Lady L...that would be great if she didn't have to go back after Thanksgiving, but too bad she does. Just booked her here for 2 weeks over Christmas/New Years. Then we wait for the court hearing end of January for permanent placement. Assuming we pass our local Children Services inspection and interview. Been there, done that. Boy, I hate those. Maybe we'll get lucky and get the same whackos we got 5 yrs ago when we became guardians of the twins. Better the devil you know, sometimes anyway.

Round 2 of today is I finished damp dusting the lounge room, doors and the rest of the home while I had some rainwater in the bucket I had collected. Still have a bit of a vacuum and clean to do the rest of the lounge room tomorrow but we have the furniture in the way we want it and this has given us more room. DH got the oven box and broke it down and put it in the recycling wheelie bin so it is full yet again this week after last fortnight's lounge chair cartons.

This afternoon we seasoned our new oven which you have to wipe out with hot soapy water and then put it on for 2 hours at 180 oc . Since it was already on and heating we made a double batch of queen chocolate chip and coconut biscuits, a homemade pizza and a quiche for meals for tonight and the next 3 days. As we say if you are going to cook you may as well make a session of it. The oven works fabulously with two large fans in the back to distribute the heat around and I have now nicknamed it space ship as it has so many controls on it and the oven light stays on while everything is cooking. We have both always wanted a large oven and now we have it.

I gave the kitchen a quick sweep after cooking and cleaned up grass from near the back door where we had trod in wet grass from outside and DH watered the potted plants with saved rainwater and topped up the kangaroo and wallaby water. Tonight's dinner was homemade pizza and dessert was a couple of coconut and choc chip biscuits and we might have a glass of chilled sarsaparilla each shortly.

Last edited:
Well at my new job i have to deliver home building supplies, keep in mind that im a experience driver, and not much scares me, here is a road i had to travel on, well just something puckered up, and it was not my mouth, lol

This was me leaving after i delivered my load.

That's a scary road @Flight ! Beautiful but scary! Reminds me of us in our first RV.

Today is goat shed day! It's in the lower 50's right now and supposed to get up to 66. Kid gets here at 10 to help.

Afterwards, I have to grind all the chicken I got yesterday. About 25-30 pounds. Probably won't grind it all, but more than half. Also, grill the chicken that I didn't get to yesterday and frost some cupcakes for company today or tomorrow. That's enough for me for one day!

The boy and I spent the day cutting firewood! He's got strong enough he can split thats a big help!

fw1.jpg

fw2.jpg

fw3.jpg

fw4.jpg

fw5.jpg

Always great to have a kid around when there's hard work to do. They have strong backs...:D and they enjoy the time together even if they grumble about the work...

He's figured out I'm going to make him do it if he likes it or not and the harder we work the faster the work gets done. So he makes a hand.

The boy and I spent the day cutting firewood! He's got strong enough he can split thats a big help!

View attachment 26464

View attachment 26465

View attachment 26466

View attachment 26468

View attachment 26469
Not just saying it because it helps you out, but it's a good skill for him to have. There is a knack to it and sooo many people wouldn't have a clue. Also teaches him how to care for tools which I have a feeling he's had some training in already.
Good job Hash and way to go Jake.
PS - and fresh split wood smells so good.

Wow he is really becoming a grown up young man.

You should be proud of yourself and him.
We got to watch.
Thanks.

Jim

Not just saying it because it helps you out, but it's a good skill for him to have. There is a knack to it and sooo many people wouldn't have a clue. Also teaches him how to care for tools which I have a feeling he's had some training in already.
Good job Hash and way to go Jake.
PS - and fresh split wood smells so good.

Kids 11 I'd put him up against any 20 year old in my area. He is pretty good with my type of rough skills. He has tutoring year round in math and science to teach him the things I can't. I push him really hard to excel but honestly I just hope he's a good,strong valued, happy man.

@hashbrown that is fabulous and he is doing a good job with the hands apart grip he has which would give him more stability being younger, a similar grip to what I have when manually splitting wood :) . Any skills he learns are valuable ones that most young men his age don't get shown by their parents. What type of wood is that as redwoods over here are hardwood but maybe different over there.

@Flight you did well getting through there but slow and steady wins the race and the narrow roads are good experience. I drove dirt narrow country roads with 36 x 9' mobile homes in tow so there were some scary roads I went over too, as well as narrow country bridges, but I always came in with a mobile home and vehicle fully intact.

Yes sir, red oak! This year in the pre 6th grade tests they give these days he scored the highest out of all 8 of the 6th grade classes. He beat out all the gifted kids in math and reading with grit and hard work! With the tutoring he's had he's a couple of years ahead. My dad was afraid he would get bored but it made him confident.

Yes sir, red oak! This year in the pre 6th grade tests they give these days he scored the highest out of all 8 of the 6th grade classes. He beat out all the gifted kids in math and reading with grit and hard work! With the tutoring he's had he's a couple of years ahead. My dad was afraid he would get bored but it made him confident.

That's awesome, way to go young man!

Ground up 10 pounds of chicken into burger and them made sausage out of a couple of pounds (will do more next time). Grilled the chicken I had marinating and ate most of it--apparently didn't have enough out.

Today we are visiting with family and then coming home to make out some Christmas cards and make some phone calls. Need to start doing about 10 a day so I get them done. Might make an Angel food cake mix with sugar free chocolate pudding and a hint of mint cake. Close to fat free and low sugar.

Slept in till 6am this morning lol
Had breakfast then made hubby's when he was ready ( he was getting trash together and burning it)
We've taken down all the awnings for the year
I washed hubby's work clothes while we did that and now they're in the dryer
Have some chicken breast thawing for supper. Gonna baked extra so I can make a baked pot pie later this week
Getting ready to heat up some soup and have sandwiches to go with it for lunch
I have some apples I need to fry so I have some for in my oatmeal this week
I plan on watching some tv for just a little bit and then reading this afternoon
Supper then getting hubby's lunch ready and the coffee pot ready and I'm good for the day

After doing a complete brake job and rotating the tires on my Jeep Cherokee TH yesterday, I ain't doing much today. I ain't as young as I used to was, lol, every muscle in my body hurts today.

On the plus side I saved about 500 bucks doing it myself. Dealer gets a hundred bucks for parts and 4 to 5 hundred for labor. All I have in it is 80 bucks in parts and my labor, oh, and a screaming body from all of the aches.

Latest posts

Back