What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started off the morning with DH putting on a load of washing and hanging it on the clothesline to dry. He put the large grey water tub in the laundry tub and I used the watering cans to water the canna, calla and spider plant garden beds and water the lemon and mandarin potted plants with.

The septic services guy turned up today and replaced the faulty sump pump and we chose to go with a more powerful one with better filtration system dearer but we will be able to water more area with the more powerful pump and clean out the filters in it as well. We paid in cash and got a good discount and he threw in a sprinkler and some more grey water hose so we can sprinkle the lawns with two sprinklers instead of one. Also he gave us some tips on how to fix the back of the house gutters rain water running into the grey water tank :rolleyes: . Why oh why I say would someone connect rainwater from a roof to go into a grey water tank is beyond me.

The plumber let us know about a local that had some leftover 90mm pvc guttering pipe and we got a good deal on that and will use it to run the rainwater from the lean-to shed out to bubblers in the back lawn to water it. I then went and saw the lady that wanted some cleaning done and sorted out my plan of attack and what she wanted done and what cleaning products to take.

$660 dollars later we ended our day after going to the local pub and having a relaxing soft drink with our splurge money. Oh well that is why we have a home if something blows up cash emergency kitty for these very things. Tonight's dinner was the rest of our mince stir fry and dessert a little ice-cream. We have also just folded up 3 loads of clean laundry and made the bed with fresh sheets.

Kids just left for the bus. Husband is off today, so we'll be going out to breakfast. Going to get some ribs at Sams for our daughter's 27th bday celebration here on Sunday. She wants ribs, corn on the cob, and chocolate cake. Then we're going to look at wedding bands. Mine was stolen during our robbery this summer, and husband wants to replace it. Most of our family do not wear wedding rings, and I told him it's not necessary, but it's important to him. I know I'm married, even without a ring. 36 years now. Noticed there's a gun show locally this weekend, too. Have to get my mind off this CPS garbage. Eight more days and granddaughter will be here for a week. I want it to be a celebration.

No school today because of conferences and the nanny has a heavy class load at the college, so I took the day off. Or more accurately I comped today for tomorrow as I have one of those horrible mandatory social events where I have to put on my dress uniform and mingle with politicians, functionaries, and community leaders (which is to say wealthy people). My wife just had lunch with the governor on Wednesday and now I will be having lunch with the governor on Saturday. Aren't we just fancy people living the fancy life. The difference is my wife enjoyed her event and I will have to fake smile all the way through mine. Of course my lovely bride will be attending with me so that will help. Anyway I have a honey-do list sitting here waiting for me to do so that will be my day, off and on. That plus cooking lunch and dinner for the dependents.

Nothing like homemade chicken soup. Chunky veggies, broth and lots of meat and noodles. Best lunch ever lol

Getting slightly better from this stupid cold. Its really hanging on. My voice comes and goes now instead of being rough and gone all the time. I have to give a shout out to Delsym(sp?) cough syrup. Really good stuff. Not as good as the original Vicks 44 was but it works well for me.
Have more energy now so I'm getting caught up on things around here
Hubby is off work the week of Thanksgiving. Hopefully I can get him to help with some of the cleaning that needs done. We have cathedral ceilings and I'm not climbing a 6ft ladder to clean the ceiling fans

Nothing like homemade chicken soup. Chunky veggies, broth and lots of meat and noodles. Best lunch ever lol

Hey! That's what I made for the kids for lunch too. I even made up some pasta for it, although I used Banza pasta made from chickpeas. Of course all they know is that they got to have pasta. :D

No school today because of conferences and the nanny has a heavy class load at the college, so I took the day off. Or more accurately I comped today for tomorrow as I have one of those horrible mandatory social events where I have to put on my dress uniform and mingle with politicians, functionaries, and community leaders (which is to say wealthy people). My wife just had lunch with the governor on Wednesday and now I will be having lunch with the governor on Saturday. Aren't we just fancy people living the fancy life. The difference is my wife enjoyed her event and I will have to fake smile all the way through mine. Of course my lovely bride will be attending with me so that will help. Anyway I have a honey-do list sitting here waiting for me to do so that will be my day, off and on. That plus cooking lunch and dinner for the dependents.
It is kinda nice to have a genuine ceeeelebrity here on this site!

It is kinda nice to have a genuine ceeeelebrity here on this site!

Oh yeah, I am super popular when politicians want pictures with LEO's. I wonder if that's because my skin is brown or because my badge is shiny? Probably both. ;)

Oh yeah, I am super popular when politicians want pictures with LEO's. I wonder if that's because my skin is brown or because my badge is shiny? Probably both. ;)

Maybe but its not PC to be American in allegiance or sovereigncy. So none of our skin tones matter to those who ' matter'.:p
Damn I fix typo then forget half of what I wanted to say!:eyeballs:. I'm going real slow too.:confused:.

Got a project on the book at work, way more visability than I care for, but it will be put to good use after its finished. We're working on moving all the comms for the 2 primary users. Went today to look at the new building and measured out the coax runs and where the radios are going. It don't look bad. Contractor ran us 2 4" conduits from the tower into the main Comm Room. We have nice cable trays for all the long runs after that.

Eventful day… 5am, woke and started out of my bedroom. I stepped in something squishy and wet. Once again there was a mini-flood, I didn’t believe it myself. There was no rain, wasn’t a wet weather spring flood.

A 45yrold cold water pvc pipe in the wall developed a hairline fracture, tiny leak. :( It had been leaking for hours and pooled in the low spot in the slab at the foot of my bed. I had to pull up half the carpet and move furniture so I called a cousin. He also happened to have a 10ft piece of pvc the right diameter along with two female to female fittings. All we had to do was pull paneling off the wall, cut out a 6ft section of the old pipe and replace it. I even got a hot shower before leaving for the hospital and the carpet is in the shop drying on bee hives as I type.

The big news… I brought dad home from the hospital this afternoon. Once they got the inflammation of his nerves reduced his pain dropped to tolerable levels for safe prescription use at home. It’s good he’s back home. :)

I had 3 long conversations with his doctor yesterday and today. We discussed all that led up to this situation and going forward from here. She’s a smart lady! Displayed a real down to earth understanding of what happened. She also wants to come and take one of my medicinal plant classes come spring… We’ll see... Did I mention she’s hot! ;)

Anyway, no more fast food for the foreseeable future, normal hours for rest for me. Several kinfolk are supposed to come and finish the wheel chair ramp tomorrow. I did tease dad about being the first to use it when I called the ambulance Tuesday! :D

Eventful day… 5am, woke and started out of my bedroom. I stepped in something squishy and wet. Once again there was a mini-flood, I didn’t believe it myself. There was no rain, wasn’t a wet weather spring flood.

A 45yrold cold water pvc pipe in the wall developed a hairline fracture, tiny leak. :( It had been leaking for hours and pooled in the low spot in the slab at the foot of my bed. I had to pull up half the carpet and move furniture so I called a cousin. He also happened to have a 10ft piece of pvc the right diameter along with two female to female fittings. All we had to do was pull paneling off the wall, cut out a 6ft section of the old pipe and replace it. I even got a hot shower before leaving for the hospital and the carpet is in the shop drying on bee hives as I type.

The big news… I brought dad home from the hospital this afternoon. Once they got the inflammation of his nerves reduced his pain dropped to tolerable levels for safe prescription use at home. It’s good he’s back home. :)

I had 3 long conversations with his doctor yesterday and today. We discussed all that led up to this situation and going forward from here. She’s a smart lady! Displayed a real down to earth understanding of what happened. She also wants to come and take one of my medicinal plant classes come spring… We’ll see... Did I mention she’s hot! ;)

Anyway, no more fast food for the foreseeable future, normal hours for rest for me. Several kinfolk are supposed to come and finish the wheel chair ramp tomorrow. I did tease dad about being the first to use it when I called the ambulance Tuesday! :D

Well sounds like things are getting better with Dad.

You can't win for losing on that carpet.

Hope everything settles back to normal soon

It will.

Jim

Been baking pies from scratch with my little cooking buddy.
She stands up on single step stool, chops vegetables on toy wooden cutting board with plastic knife.
Working besides Granny. We made vegetable beef soup.
To go with our Mini loafs of Pumpkin Bread(5), 6 loaves of Blueberry Muffin Bread in miniatures loafs.
1 Sugar free Cranberry/Raisin pie,1 Blueberry cobbler all donated this morning.
Finished Crocheting across America blankets, they will be dropped off Monday.
Will start making blankets for Ronald McDonald House.

Started off the day with going to help cut some more firewood at our friends property but the darn chainsaw blade had had the Richard and only cut a few smaller branches by the time DH had pulled the chainsaw umpteen dozen times and the chainsaw was cutting out and getting stuck we gave up. We loaded up the wood we cut and came home.

Once DH had a nap we went in search for the chainsaw sharpening guide and the 2 spare chainsaw chains I purchased before we moved and eventually found all 3 items as we had sorted out most of the tools into boxes but the chainsaw guide was in a weird place. DH has fixed the bathroom linen cupboard door by gluing the wood piece back on near the hinge that broke off when his head hit it and will screw the hinge back into it and hang the door back on so it doesn't half fall off.

DH watered the gardens and potted herb and fruit trees and topped up the water for the kangaroos and wallabies. We now have a nursery here of 4 female redneck wallabies with joeys in their pouches and a guarding male, family of 3 wallaroos down the back, an elderly swamp wallaby who occasionally turns up and a large grey kangaroo.

A stinking hot day here today so not much was done. Dinner tonight was shallow fried chicken thigh cutlets and steamed homegrown silverbeet and sweet potato.

Good Morning all!
Sitting here sipping hot coffee in my polka dotted pj's.
So far this morning, haven't done anything but set up medicine for the week.
Turned on the coffee pot.
Will be dropping off a few heavy coats that are the wrong sizes(too big and too heavy for me now) to local coat drive.
Might go to local Christmas Open Houses going on at local churches, but basically doing nothing but resting after having grand daughter for a week.

A few from around deer camp. We have a barn style building on our place that the boy always wants to stay in during deer season it’s not 200 yards from the house but he insisted that we stay there a few days. It is sort of fun.
80D18196-F989-48B4-9232-227F30F333B5.jpeg
8E639954-5DA1-4FD8-89EA-273E407DAB9E.jpeg
7FACA685-39C4-49F7-A8C0-5FAF35592ED0.jpeg
6C4C367A-7124-4118-9379-B671026B3766.jpeg
7D4A29BA-B812-4383-BD0C-8C972095EE95.jpeg
6C1801E9-BB68-4232-961D-F9DFA0BF9460.jpeg
1F3D5F46-4112-4C8D-A80C-C49A618E87FA.jpeg

Great memories there @hashbrown

You too @MoBookworm1957 , all that time with grand daughter.

Waiting to hear gunshots from my deer hunting friends.

Count down continues , 4 days .
Eggs, country ham , milk, and B-150 done.

Been off Voltaren since Wednesday, can hardly walk now.
Last time I had to be wheelchaired to and in hospital , it got so bad .
Not as bad this time because now I do have one good knee.:cool:

Just a matter of waiting now.

May go for a ride later today ...out of boredom. Wife driving of course.

GKs are supposed to come visit for a while today.

Thanksgiving Dinner at church tomorrow...hope I can make it ...it's pot luck.

I do believe I've got all my projects and chores up to date , so it will be easier on my lovely wife.

I will probably be spending more time on here also , at least till surgery.

Jim

Waiting for the wife to signal that she will be ready in 15-20 minutes before putting on my dress uniform and then waiting 20-25 minutes for her to actually be ready. I don't want to be in that thing any longer than necessary. Got my Shield Performance Center all ready to go in my concealment holster to wear under the suit coat, can't have any guns visible on the dress uniform unless you are an honor guard. I will hopefully be done with this lunch/event by mid-afternoon but something tells me it will run longer than I am hoping. You know how politicians get when they start talking.

@Sentry18 , curious you ever wear an ankle holster, ?

Certain dress up events I have a really comfortable one that I like a lot.

Jim

I do not, but a lot of officers do. I have never liked having my hand that far away from my gun, but that's just preference. I have vest mount holster that keeps the gun on my side or when off duty I pocket carry or wear an IWB holster.

Just leaving the Habitat for Humanity Restore. We bought 2 old 6 panel doors, 4 nice kitchen chairs and 2 bathroom sinks. $115.

If you were only closer! I tear out so much, next week I have a full set of granite counter tops I’m tearing out because the woman just couldn’t live with the color. $7000.00 worth of tops that I’ll put in a storage building and get tired of looking at and either give away or throw in a dumpster sometime. It’s really unbelievable how picky some of these old women are!

Latest posts

Back