What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a trip to the Post Office. They now have an unfolded piece of clear plastic hanging over the counter from the ceiling. About 12" between the end of the plastic and the counter. New sign told me to stay behind the line until called. I backed up to get behind the line as the PO clerk smiled at me. I stood there with a grin until he asked me if he could help me. Then I crossed over the line to slide the package I wanted to mail under the plastic. I was the only customer.

They just did the same here. X's on the floor where you are allowed to stand, lol. I just shook my head.

K has cabin fever from being stuck at home. He is driving us nuts with his pacing and fidgeting. I have tried finding odd jobs around the house to keep him occupied. So now he runs to the store for me to pick up supplies. Hopefully the test results come soon!

Gathering and prepping Roo's lesson plans for next school year. Got a free pandemic study unit.
https://www.pandiapress.com/wp-content/uploads/Pandemic-Unit-Study.pdf
For those who are thinking of home schooling I recommend looking at the free curriculum from The Good and The Beautiful. They have a free science unit and free language arts for first grade through fifth grade. Well worth a look as a place to get started. We used the 3rd grade unit this year. It is okay but I am going to try a more natural approach with tons of reading and writing like Charlotte Mason for fourth grade.

I had a quiet day... got about an inch of rain last night so it was too wet to do anything outside, need to get tomato plants set out. It was also a bit cool today so I skipped transplanting several medicinal plants into large pots. I did monitor the temperature in the peeps new home most of the day. With 2 heat lamps running it's staying about 73 degrees which is fine.

I cleaned up a little in the house and watched a lot of tv, that's about it...

Last edited:
Finished all the upper kitchen cabinets today.
Just got the lower cabinets, pantry cabinets.
Need to finish putting the baking cabinets back together.
But of course I need stuff from Wal*Mart to finish it up.
Getting tired of asking oldest son to pick things up for me.
And I believe he's getting tired of it too.
Want to go look at garden plants, and stock up on more canning jars.
Thinking of taking tomorrow off for a few hours at least.
And rest for a while.
My feet hurt a bit.
Someone asked if I was doing all this cleaning because of the virus.
Nope, I clean like this every 3 months, just like clock work.
Probably protects me but I clean like this all the time.
Just the way I roll.

Yesterday we decided to fill in some of the rest of the truck bog holes in the yard that the bobcat missed and shoveled some soil from a garden bed we are not using until we get out of water restrictions.

In the afternoon we topped up another garden with soil, added lime and fertiliser and planted the whole bed with garlic bulbs our neighbour gave us for a trade for silverbeet and cucumber we had growing.

Today we examined the wheelbarrow tyre for dimensions to buy another one as it is worn out and so is the tyre. Once I get an accurate hub measurement I can order it on eBay for a far cheaper price than the local hardware stores.

DH washed the dishes and cleaned the benches and I dried them and put them away. We then moved onto deep cleaning the whole sewing room so damp dusting, sorting, decluttering and window cleaning was all done along with a reorganisation of some areas that needed it. Looks so much better in there now and cleaner.

Tonight's dinner was the other half of our mince and vegetable stir fry and dessert the last bit of our homemade lemon cheesecake.

Thank you @Amish Heart DH is getting better by the day but still finding it unusual that he has no pain to get to sleep.

Went foraging at the grocery store and brought home a few tidbits, but not the beer I went for. Thick cut bologna, no salt added Green beans, some pasta sauce, Metts and Bratts. Set for another few weeks now :)

I'm just a happy prepper today.
Got every comfort of home...oh....I am at home.

Just lazying it today. Been puztin in the garage , did the passenger side rear wheel and caliper. Almost typed caliber.. :)

Will be moving firewood later...will try the Fish again later.
Here's before and after on wheel and caliper . Just keeps me busy.
IMG_20200401_111634051_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200401_123824515_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200401_123909675_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200401_111523705.jpg

IMG_20200401_132018840.jpg

IMG_20200401_134247195.jpg

Most folks always said I got too much time on my hands , well, that's just fine.

Jim

Last edited:
Nice day here. Wife and I went for a 2 mile walk and when we came home I worked in the shop.

Have you noticed a population increase in your area? When I was out on the 4 wheeler I saw that we've had an explosion of RVs and tents recently. The normally absent land owners have bugged out to the forest.

This morning, I headed to Kroger for a ham @ 99 cents a pound. Since it is the first of the month, thought I would drive by Walmart and see how much of a circus it was. Parking lot was dead at 9:15 AM. I went in, did my monthly shop--they had everything I needed-- and was out in about 45 minutes. I think that's a record for me! Everyone was polite and practicing the social distancing gig. They did have toilet paper. I just wasn't there for that. I did not see lysol spray or clorox wipes. I think everyone thought like I did and that it would be crazy. So glad it was not. I came home and disinfected everything, including myself.

Went for my walk, came home and made a turkey pot pie and paid the monthly bills. That's it for today. Won't be going back to Walmart for at least a month. Yay!

i did stop at Kroger afterwards and got the ham and that was all! Ham was $2.19 a pound at Walmart.

Hubby and I cut my hair again. He likes it layered and its hard to do with bad vision so he is turning out to be a pretty good sylist doing the cutting after I seperate what needs cut .I can't judge direction of the cut but I can feel what needs it. I may put up a pic later.
Among my other many adventures I went to beauty school for a little while in 1982. Been cutting hair for fmily and friends every since. Still have my scissors from that school and they cut hair good as ever roday! You won't find that kind of quality much today. .

Hubby and I cut my hair again. He likes it layered and its hard to do with bad vision so he is turning out to be a pretty good sylist doing the cutting after I seperate what needs cut .I can't judge direction of the cut but I can feel what needs it. I may put up a pic later.
Among my other many adventures I went to beauty school for a little while in 1982. Been cutting hair for fmily and friends every since. Still have my scissors from that school and they cut hair good as ever roday! You won't find that kind of quality much today. .

Haertig showed off his hand dandy barbering.

Let's see it..

Jim

Have you noticed a population increase in your area? When I was out on the 4 wheeler I saw that we've had an explosion of RVs and tents recently. The normally absent land owners have bugged out to the forest.
Yes, more people. Today we walked on a little road that leads back to a housing development. Mostly vacation homes back there with 3 to 5 acre lots. We walked a mile and then turned around and walked back. Wife counted 30 vehicles passed us on that tiny road. For the first time in a long while, we saw more people today than elk.

I got censored on a different forum. Posters had taken sides. The "low Corona death" side and the "sky is falling" side. So I posted the population of the United States. Percent of the total population that was infected and the percent that had died. Then I posted the percent of the population that had died in 2018 from abortion. I didn't post any comments one way or the other.

I received a few very angry replies before a moderator edited my post by removing the part related to abortions. Plus the moderator sent me a very terse private message. The angry replies to my post remained as they were posted.

I got censored on a different forum. Posters had taken sides. The "low Corona death" side and the "sky is falling" side. So I posted the population of the United States. Percent of the total population that was infected and the percent that had died. Then I posted the percent of the population that had died in 2018 from abortion. I didn't post any comments one way or the other.

I received a few very angry replies before a moderator edited my post by removing the part related to abortions. Plus the moderator sent me a very terse private message. The angry replies to my post remained as they were posted.
You rebel rouser you😉
Numbers are numbers.

Took Winter to the vet for her dental surgery this morning. After I dropped her off I went across the parking lot to Target. I had placed a small pick-up order last night so I figured I'd do an early morning walk through the store. It was the seniors 'magic hour' so I waited in a not so crazy line until 9am. I was able to leave the store with toilet paper (I use one ply in the downstairs bathroom so the girls don't clog it!), paper towels, one bottle of hand sanitizer, clorox wipes, and some dry cereal on top of the order I was there to pick up.

I went back in the afternoon before picking Winter up to see what I could find (ya'll know for shits and giggles). Not much if anything was left from this morning. I did get some things for the girl's Easter baskets.

Winter was all tail and tongue wagging when I picked her up. She was in heaven and wanted to say hello to the family and her sister. She even spent some time playing outside with the girls. Just a few minutes ago I gave her her pain meds and she took them right from my hand! I didn't have to fight to get them down that way I have with every dog I have ever owned.

We made another batch of cookie dough to freeze. They aren't big batches so I am not surprised we finished the other one off. I used some of the gluten free flour I had in the freezer. Not much difference but they tasted sweeter. Must be the sorghum flour.

I am going to be focusing on big batch breakfasts this week. Extra waffles, muffins, and pancakes for freezing. I think each week I'll focus on a different meal to batch/freeze. Not to mention I need to redo my inventory.

On the wrong forum, obviously.

Finished cleaning the kitchen.
Pantry done.
Pots and pans cabinet-done.
Washer got scrubbed too-done.
Dryer got it too-done.
Even the floor got scrubbed-done.
Only thing left in the kitchen is 1 counter top.
Was too pooped to finish.
Finished my last block of the cross stitch twin size quilt.
Will be starting on the sashing strips and border tomorrow.
Hopefully by the weekend will get the backing, batting and top safety pinned together, so I can start the last phase before binding. Then will have one completely finished Christmas quilt done.
That will make 3 completely finished Christmas gifts done.
Will be starting a new queen size cross stitch quilt top probably in a week to 14 days if all goes well.
Will have to cook tomorrow if I want to eat.

Not sure what I accomplished today, but I did the things.
Daughter came by late afternoon to give the kids a yoga workout.
Packed food up and dog food for elderly neighbor across the way who had asked another neighbor if she had anything. The other neighbor gave her an apple, and told her she'd take a list from her to the store when she goes next. I figured an apple wouldn't do for long. She should be set for a week. We see people coming by her place, thought they were family, but maybe not. Could be healthcare workers. Her name is Ann. Prayers for Ann, please.

I spend my days puttering around in my shop. I've built a few little things like a sandpaper organizer and my drill battery charging station. Doing some overdue shop cleaning.
I finally got around to replacing the irrigation valve and pipe that froze and broke last winter. Tomorrow I will turn the water onto my pasture and start the never-ending job of repairing broken sprinklers. I have 32 sprinkler heads and about half get broken every year.
I'm not getting my hair cut until I can go to my barber. There is no way my wife is cutting my hair or me cutting hers.
The stores in town are pretty deserted.
I had to go to Walmart to get Rx for my wife and brother so I did a little shopping. Walmart has most things except sanitizer stuff.
I talked to a manager of one of the medical clinics and he said they are seeing very few patients.
I got my truck washed and they are not getting much business. The workers are losing money because they aren't getting many tips so I gave them $20.

Been trying to get masks made to get shipped out. N95 fabric arrived today.
So many different opinions and patterns out there. Frustrating no one can agree on which one is best and if they can even be used. Been hearing stories of hospitals throwing them out without using them. I’m focusing on people I know first who are actually asking for them.
Trying to get a few more hours in of sewing tonight.
3 cases of Covid confirmed in town now. Not surprised at all. No one seems to be taking this seriously and keeping distance anywhere around us.

Latest posts

Back