What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big Costco order made with the neighbors came in today. Tomorrow, one neighbor has to pick up medication, so he will pick up what others need at Safeway. Even though we are very different people, we are working together to help each other out.

The neighbor whom I thought didn't have much food at home? He didn't! He mostly eats out, but he knows how to cook. I could tell in his text communications that he was beginning to feel desperate. It can take a week between order time and delivery, so you have to plan ahead. He had orders in, but they weren't coming fast enough. He has been trying to get dried pinto beans, so I gave him a couple 1 pound bags of pintos. He said he cooked them right up in his instant pot and ate them all within a couple days, probably the only thing he had to eat. He has had some deliveries from a couple grocery stores since then. His part of the Costco order was quite large. From Costco, he has two large jars of pb, a large brisket cut into 5 roasts, a large bag of sweet potatoes, 10 # bag of potatoes, cereal, apples, 24 eggs, loaf of bread and much more. He has two fridges full of food now, and lots of food that doesn't need refrigeration. He thinks he has at least 6 weeks of food now. Why do I feel better knowing that my neighbor will have food to eat?

The neighbor who started communicating to see if anyone needed anything, to start the group grocery deliveries? He said they are now like hoarders, with all the food they have. Better that than not enough, IMHO!

We have all been neighbors for 30 years. We have gotten along, but literally can go for more than a year at a time without seeing each other.

Been trying to get masks made to get shipped out. N95 fabric arrived today.
So many different opinions and patterns out there. Frustrating no one can agree on which one is best and if they can even be used. Been hearing stories of hospitals throwing them out without using them. I’m focusing on people I know first who are actually asking for them.
Trying to get a few more hours in of sewing tonight.
3 cases of Covid confirmed in town now. Not surprised at all. No one seems to be taking this seriously and keeping distance anywhere around us.
I agree whole heartedly with you about the patterns and ongoing squabbles about which is safe and which ones won't get used. So many patterns, so little time. I saw on the news about a nurse who has her own masks, but isn't allowed to wear them at work, because they weren't issued by her work. Instead, she has to wear nothing. Many medical people are wearing masks for days, when they are only supposed to be used for a few hours. So many people in authority do not seem to care about the workers who are giving their lives.

Have you noticed a population increase in your area? When I was out on the 4 wheeler I saw that we've had an explosion of RVs and tents recently. The normally absent land owners have bugged out to the forest.
I would imagine that many people bought land for times just like this, and now they are escaping the city to be safer. I'd bet that many of them wished they had done more work on that bare land now: Water, sewer, solar systems, garden area, planted berry bushes and fruit trees, wood pile or even a shed that could now be home for a while. Almost every project I work on requires a trip to the hardware store to get supplies, materials, and often a tool or two. I hope those refugees have enough to take care of themselves: shovels, saws, hatchets, on and on. They may have to be there through the winter. They are getting ready for a rough time.

I hope there is not a group of thieves out there.

Have you noticed a population increase in your area? When I was out on the 4 wheeler I saw that we've had an explosion of RVs and tents recently. The normally absent land owners have bugged out to the forest.

I hope there is not a group of thieves out there.

Thats what I was thinking... I'd try to make sure someone was always home or at the least a trusted neighbor keep an eye on things...

Speaking of eyes... I'd have a few of those game cameras pointed at my house... Better safe than sorry until you get a feel for who all those strangers are. At least you'd have video to give the cops...

Been trying to get masks made to get shipped out. N95 fabric arrived today.
So many different opinions and patterns out there. Frustrating no one can agree on which one is best and if they can even be used. Been hearing stories of hospitals throwing them out without using them. I’m focusing on people I know first who are actually asking for them.
Trying to get a few more hours in of sewing tonight.
3 cases of Covid confirmed in town now. Not surprised at all. No one seems to be taking this seriously and keeping distance anywhere around us.

Where did you get the N95 fabric?

I agree whole heartedly with you about the patterns and ongoing squabbles about which is safe and which ones won't get used. So many patterns, so little time. I saw on the news about a nurse who has her own masks, but isn't allowed to wear them at work, because they weren't issued by her work. Instead, she has to wear nothing. Many medical people are wearing masks for days, when they are only supposed to be used for a few hours. So many people in authority do not seem to care about the workers who are giving their lives.

The following link is for a face mask 'sew-a-long' hosted by Tieks shoes.

https://tieks.com/sewtogether?pp=0&...IwaWd3WXJMZDFtZHZyZXdwek5RJnQ9QUFBQUFGNkZjNkE
Back during the Ebola scare I printed out a copy of a mask pattern from craft passion. The author has since updated the pattern and added sizes...!

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

https://tieks.com/sewtogether?pp=0&...IwaWd3WXJMZDFtZHZyZXdwek5RJnQ9QUFBQUFGNkZjNkE
Back during the Ebola scare I printed out a copy of a mask pattern from craft passion. The author has since updated the pattern and added sizes...!

I’ve modified the craft passion updated mask and it’s perfect now I believe. Fits like a mask should. I did add the polypropylene liners to it though and a pull tie instead of elastic.

Talked to one of the daughters she opened a bin of her preped flour and it had some kind of mites and they tore her arms up. So now she told son to get that bin out of the house. Her exzema is aleady breaking her out and Tarzan and his 2 sistersis been up since 6am. She used tea tree oil.I told her smother thme with vaseline or if not too bad fingernail polish.Just don't use much because its not good for you.

I've been doing a lil bit here n there for a woman.who went into a self quarantine on her own..I've been taking other's where they need to go .there's one guy that is wheel chair bound.i go to the food pantry and get most of his food supply for him there.and take it to him.i live in a small town with 3 food store's. Dollar general.family dollar. and a brookshire bro.only one with toilet paper yesterday was brookshire.i don't need any at this time.but went ahead and bought a 12 count package.will buy some more when i do my primary shopping on the 6th.

I've been doing a lil bit here n there for a woman.who went into a self quarantine on her own..I've been taking other's where they need to go .there's one guy that is wheel chair bound.i go to the food pantry and get most of his food supply for him there.and take it to him.i live in a small town with 3 food store's. Dollar general.family dollar. and a brookshire bro.only one with toilet paper yesterday was brookshire.i don't need any at this time.but went ahead and bought a 12 count package.will buy some more when i do my primary shopping on the 6th.
Bless your heart JimLE be careful.:thumbs:

Just finishing up my morning coffee.

Family and friends are constantly calling and asking.."y'all doing ok, y'all staying in ? "

These people know us well , and I keep telling them " this ain't no big change for us ".
We are homebody hermits. No traveling, no visiting, no running all over shopping, we do miss the grandkids...told them to come over and fish for a while,

Today...just another day to figger out what project to work on.

Only other thing we miss a little is milk... We live 1 mile from a DG...don't everybody.

Jim

Talked to one of the daughters she opened a bin of her prepped flour and it had some kind of mites and they tore her arms up. So now she told son to get that bin out of the house. Her eczema is already breaking her out and Tarzan and his 2 sisters is been up since 6 am. She used tea tree oil. I told her smother them with Vaseline or if not too bad fingernail polish. Just don't use much because its not good for you.
That is scary. I cannot imagine what kind of bug that is.
I've had some experiences with bugs in food, mostly weevils and moths. I think that when we buy dry foods in the store such as flour and cornmeal, it is usually already buggy.

I'm going through my stored foods, inspecting, checking to see the condition of all, tossing some, cleaning up containers, re-organizing. Yesterday I saw two canning jars of brown rice, not canned, just stored in the jars. I know better than to keep brown rice on the shelf. I also have some in the freezer. I knew I was going to empty the rice into the trash before I opened the jar and did. What was interesting was that there was a filmy web like covering on the upper part, some insect produced something. It must have been in the rice when I bought it.

I try to have two layers of protection for my food, such as mylar sealed bags inside a lidded bucket. When I put foods in canning jars, I think it should be okay, but it isn't if I am putting in food that already has bugs in it. This confirms why oven canned dry foods are a thing. I haven't done it and I should have.

Just finishing up my morning coffee.

Family and friends are constantly calling and asking.."y'all doing ok, y'all staying in ? "

These people know us well , and I keep telling them " this ain't no big change for us ".
We are homebody hermits. No traveling, no visiting, no running all over shopping, we do miss the grandkids...told them to come over and fish for a while,

Today...just another day to figger out what project to work on.

Only other thing we miss a little is milk... We live 1 mile from a DG...don't everybody.

Jim

Jim hubby is like you he likes working on vehicals,so he zoomed back in on truck in the yard. Sitting next to the boat which also needs repairs a new starter for the half century old 6 Evinrude.!0 years of off and on work, several thousand bucks later and we got about 12 hours river time on it. Id say materisl and labor its almost the price of yaght now without the luxuary.unless you consider poles and paddles to puch us off the sides when jet skis come up.

Last edited:
That is scary. I cannot imagine what kind of bug that is.
I've had some experiences with bugs in food, mostly weevils and moths. I think that when we buy dry foods in the store such as flour and cornmeal, it is usually already buggy.

I'm going through my stored foods, inspecting, checking to see the condition of all, tossing some, cleaning up containers, re-organizing. Yesterday I saw two canning jars of brown rice, not canned, just stored in the jars. I know better than to keep brown rice on the shelf. I also have some in the freezer. I knew I was going to empty the rice into the trash before I opened the jar and did. What was interesting was that there was a filmy web like covering on the upper part, some insect produced something. It must have been in the rice when I bought it.

I try to have two layers of protection for my food, such as mylar sealed bags inside a lidded bucket. When I put foods in canning jars, I think it should be okay, but it isn't if I am putting in food that already has bugs in it. This confirms why oven canned dry foods are a thing. I haven't done it and I should have.

We Food Saver sealed all of ours but the one bin she opened is also about 5years old.

Ahe looked it up online and it said many of these mites can bite. Not helping her bP or exzema for sure.

Thank you, Grimm. It is the craft passion pattern that I have been using. I went through a bunch of scraps and maybe have 100 cut out of various sizes, and have sewn up a bunch of them.
I had a 10 day house sitting job, early February. I took my sewing machine, larger fabric scraps, fabrics, sewing supplies and worked on the masks. At that time, 1/4 inch elastic was available in limited amounts in the stores. I bought all I could find, but not enough to finish all my masks. Everyone is asking if anyone has any elastic to donate.

Shot another chicken-eating coyote this morning. It was kind of funny because our house was surrounded by elk at the time. The coyote was carefully weaving his way through the elk (sometimes the elk chase the coyotes) but he should have been watching me.
When I shot, the elk were shocked and some ran a few steps. Then they settled down and started eating again.

Thank you, Grimm. It is the craft passion pattern that I have been using. I went through a bunch of scraps and maybe have 100 cut out of various sizes, and have sewn up a bunch of them.
I had a 10 day house sitting job, early February. I took my sewing machine, larger fabric scraps, fabrics, sewing supplies and worked on the masks. At that time, 1/4 inch elastic was available in limited amounts in the stores. I bought all I could find, but not enough to finish all my masks. Everyone is asking if anyone has any elastic to donate.

I seen ,somewhere, that people are cutting open bungy cords and using the rubber band strips from them.

Just fyi.

Jim

Weedy and and soem of the ladies here and there are doign a good thing for others.:Thankyou::thumbs:

Making a triple chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting for a birthday coming up.
Have laundry to fold and put away.
Have to figure out what to make for supper
Neighbors are getting a new roof and 2 new porches with roofs put on their house this week
Hubby is making a new pallet for one my containers to sit on. the old one was rotten
Everything is ready to move the greenhouse but now its windy ( gusts 30mph) :rolleyes:
No extra people in our area except the workers at the neighbors and they leave every day
We have 21 cases of the wuhan now in the county
Have to get to the local grocery to pick up my free ham some time in the next week. I'll try to hit it when it first opens which is when seniors are supposed to shop but they don't keep younger folks out so I don't see the point of stating the different shopping hours

OK, well since it's Saturday, I just tuned "The Blimp's" live feed.

Classic Rock station I grew up on. Still great 40+ years later.

Latest posts

Back