What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lazy day...slept in, ate ham and eggs and brewed up some liquid dynamite in my new coffeepot. Apparently the fancy coffee I bought is a bit stronger than the crappy Folgers I used to buy years ago. After two cups of that stuff I was speaking with the dead, and if I concentrated real hard I could fly...o_O

I'm going to be so happy when the church coffee shop opens back up again...

I got a phone call from my uncle (my late father's brother). He was checking up on us since he hadn't seen my e-mail that I'd recently sent. It was good to hear from him. He's living in a retirement community in Virginia & said he hasn't been able to participate in church or his social groups. He runs a gardening group called the Funny Farm, has a Master Gardener group (he's registered as a master gardener), & his Navy veterans group. He has been working on his garden- he grows fruit & vegetables for the community. He specializes in edibles & plants that attract butterflies.
Both of his kids are working from home. His daughter is stressed out because of her ex-husband's BS. When this pandemic ends, I need to go put a boot up his hind end. He's go this youngest daughter so depressed she's cutting herself. The oldest 2 kids (they have 4 kids) have no contact with him anymore. The youngest doesn't have a choice bc she's 14. The 3rd kid is 18 & only goes for visits to his father so he can be there to protect & support his sister. Unfortunately, he's about to start college in another state & the poor girl will be stuck with solo visits to her father. I'm worried about her bc he is a vindictive, hateful, horrible person.

Brother have a Driver's License?
Yes, but he's letting our friend borrow his truck until the friend can get his car running. I also wanted to go with him for moral support.

Beware of stored foods,may have bugs!
We don't get it as often now, but in the 80s we used to have a problem with our dried foods getting bugs in the pantry. I remember one day my sister had a very rude friend visiting & she was eating a bowl of cereal. I noticed that the cereal had black spots in it and I knew it didn't normally have that. I was staring at it trying to figure out what they were & the friend made a rude comment to me about how I needed to stop gawking at her food and get my own. I then said "Sheri, there's something wrong with your cereal. Those black things aren't supposed to be there." She scooped a spoonful and looked closer at them and realized the little black spots had legs.
Sometimes we get moths in the food-- even when the food is sealed & there's no sign of any bugs. For awhile some of the cat food & dog food got infested with caterpillars at the store. I had to point out to a manager that if they had the bugs on the outside, they had certainly burrowed in & all of the bags with the bugs on them needed to be returned or thrown out. I brought back a bag that I opened that had bugs in it. I opened it at the return center and moths flew out. I had the receipt showing I had just purchased it that day.

I'm hoping none of our stuff we're storing now gets bugs. I'm probably going to have to buy more hamburger meat and freeze some of it for cooking later so I don't have to keep going back and buying more & hoping it's in stock. For some reason I thought Thursday was Friday so I was trying to get non-meat meals for my mother.

My plans for Friday were to go to the store for more meat, get mail, and go help my friend with his bathroom renovation-- but one snag, he forgot he didn't have the valve trim. It won't arrive until the 8th so he's going to put it off until the part arrives. I ran in to a problem ordering stuff online bc it doesn't want to deliver to my post office box & it says my home address isn't valid (because the post office has the road name spelled wrong and also, they won't deliver to me but UPS and FedEx will). Sometimes I have to get things mailed to my friend's house. Some of my tools went missing & I saw them on clearance & ordered them. I'm going to write my name on them in permanent marker this time (I think someone took them).

I've got a sore throat that I'm hoping will clear up soon. Mucus is getting thicker- probably bc I had to cut back on my water intake. Otherwise I'm feeling OK. I went for a very brief walk outside & it made my cats happy bc they like to walk with me. I miss when I was a kid and we had 63 cats. At least 20 of them would follow me on my walks.

Breakfast is finished
Apparently the bobcat has a leak so we're waiting on a roadside service to come fix it. He'll be here some time today. First rain, then wind gusts of 30mph and now a leak. I'm beginning to think something or someONE doesn't want us to move the greenhouse yet :ghostly: Well it isn't going anywhere so I'm not worried
Cake turned out yummy.
002.JPG
Not much going on today. Still cool outside. Really need to get some things planted. Have cabbage and celery waiting. Also some lettuce plants.
Plan to start some seeds today. They should be ready by mid May for planting outside
Haven't decided on supper yet
We're up to 27 cases of the wuhan now in the county. A fella that works in hubby's dept at the hospital has it and is in ICU now

Last edited:
I got a phone call from my uncle (my late father's brother). He was checking up on us since he hadn't seen my e-mail that I'd recently sent. It was good to hear from him. He's living in a retirement community in Virginia & said he hasn't been able to participate in church or his social groups. He runs a gardening group called the Funny Farm, has a Master Gardener group (he's registered as a master gardener), & his Navy veterans group. He has been working on his garden- he grows fruit & vegetables for the community. He specializes in edibles & plants that attract butterflies.
Both of his kids are working from home. His daughter is stressed out because of her ex-husband's BS. When this pandemic ends, I need to go put a boot up his hind end. He's go this youngest daughter so depressed she's cutting herself. The oldest 2 kids (they have 4 kids) have no contact with him anymore. The youngest doesn't have a choice bc she's 14. The 3rd kid is 18 & only goes for visits to his father so he can be there to protect & support his sister. Unfortunately, he's about to start college in another state & the poor girl will be stuck with solo visits to her father. I'm worried about her bc he is a vindictive, hateful, horrible person.

Yes, but he's letting our friend borrow his truck until the friend can get his car running. I also wanted to go with him for moral support.

We don't get it as often now, but in the 80s we used to have a problem with our dried foods getting bugs in the pantry. I remember one day my sister had a very rude friend visiting & she was eating a bowl of cereal. I noticed that the cereal had black spots in it and I knew it didn't normally have that. I was staring at it trying to figure out what they were & the friend made a rude comment to me about how I needed to stop gawking at her food and get my own. I then said "Sheri, there's something wrong with your cereal. Those black things aren't supposed to be there." She scooped a spoonful and looked closer at them and realized the little black spots had legs.
Sometimes we get moths in the food-- even when the food is sealed & there's no sign of any bugs. For awhile some of the cat food & dog food got infested with caterpillars at the store. I had to point out to a manager that if they had the bugs on the outside, they had certainly burrowed in & all of the bags with the bugs on them needed to be returned or thrown out. I brought back a bag that I opened that had bugs in it. I opened it at the return center and moths flew out. I had the receipt showing I had just purchased it that day.

I'm hoping none of our stuff we're storing now gets bugs. I'm probably going to have to buy more hamburger meat and freeze some of it for cooking later so I don't have to keep going back and buying more & hoping it's in stock. For some reason I thought Thursday was Friday so I was trying to get non-meat meals for my mother.

My plans for Friday were to go to the store for more meat, get mail, and go help my friend with his bathroom renovation-- but one snag, he forgot he didn't have the valve trim. It won't arrive until the 8th so he's going to put it off until the part arrives. I ran in to a problem ordering stuff online bc it doesn't want to deliver to my post office box & it says my home address isn't valid (because the post office has the road name spelled wrong and also, they won't deliver to me but UPS and FedEx will). Sometimes I have to get things mailed to my friend's house. Some of my tools went missing & I saw them on clearance & ordered them. I'm going to write my name on them in permanent marker this time (I think someone took them).

I've got a sore throat that I'm hoping will clear up soon. Mucus is getting thicker- probably bc I had to cut back on my water intake. Otherwise I'm feeling OK. I went for a very brief walk outside & it made my cats happy bc they like to walk with me. I miss when I was a kid and we had 63 cats. At least 20 of them would follow me on my walks.

Zanne hopfully your uncle and the rest of us can get back to normal one day.
I miss having cats, had cat all my life but past decade too alergic to them.
Take care hope the brother life gets good soon too.

@zannej I think it was here someone suggested to use pink paint to mark your tools.
It's another rainy day. Hoped to get some seeds planted in pots, but as usual I'm probably planting too late for as hot as it gets here.
Here's something: stopped by Ace yesterday for cucumber plants, employee said a big shipment that came in yesterday (Wednesday) they had to block/refuse as they are not allowed to sell plants at this time. The usual area they sell plants was locked up. That gave me a really bad feeling.
So! I stopped by Wally World and on my way in what do I see? Cucumber plants, herbs, tomato plants, etc.
Anybody else seen unusual circumstances like that?

@zannej I think it was here someone suggested to use pink paint to mark your tools.
It's another rainy day. Hoped to get some seeds planted in pots, but as usual I'm probably planting too late for as hot as it gets here.
Here's something: stopped by Ace yesterday for cucumber plants, employee said a big shipment that came in yesterday (Wednesday) they had to block/refuse as they are not allowed to sell plants at this time. The usual area they sell plants was locked up. That gave me a really bad feeling.
So! I stopped by Wally World and on my way in what do I see? Cucumber plants, herbs, tomato plants, etc.
Anybody else seen unusual circumstances like that?

Patch that is scary, we haven't been out of house since March 23nd. Well once hubby did go to get gas for generator about a wk ago. We'er just eating what we have but did order food yesterday from Amzon will see what they send or if they send. :dunno:

I went to pick up a few things yesterday in 2 different stores. The one, an independent grocer. They had a few packs of TP, LIMIT 1. Thank goodness no limit on water, I got 3 gallons as we prefer it to our tap water.

The walmart had no toilet paper, limits on bread products, detergent, meat (ONE ITEM PER CUSTOMER). I had been steering clear of that store. Made me feel creepy.
Other than that, it was business as usual and mostly everything else was stocked. (Although I did not check the outdoors, camping, and sporting goods sections).

Working on the FIFO food can storage. Yesterday I cut the biscuit joints and did a dry assembly. Discovered I missed four cuts on the back.

This morning take the FIFO back out to the shop and made the four missed cuts.

Back of the FIFO test fitted to the back of the washroom closet door:

01.JPG

Back with the biscuit cuts made (minus the four I had missed):

02.JPG

First two vertical pieces glued in place. You like my weighted green clamps?

03.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the well-wishes.
That is odd about them not selling the plants. I wonder what is up with that.
I don't like pink so I have no intention of putting it on my tools- plus, I don't have any pink paint and don't have the desire to buy any. LOL.
I'm starting to think I have a cold and not just allergies. I've stayed out of contact with people for the most part, but am feeling cruddy. My nose has gotten agitated from the mucus so there was a little bleeding when I blew my nose. I used some Simply Saline to clean it out twice last night because it kept having problems. I woke up around 1am sneezing & my nose wouldn't stop dripping so I took another allergy pill & went to go clear things out with the saline. Woke again sometime- not sure what time-- and my eyes were dripping & crudded over. My right eye is the worst-- it's continuing to drip & feel irritated & vision is blurry in it. My eyes looked red in the mirror. Throat is sore and sinuses are stuffy. I can feel my nose stuffed but it's up higher near the sinus cavity. I may have to call my doctor and get a prescription nasal spray. Hope I won't need an RX for my eyes though. My cats kept bothering me last night--the dog forced the door open and let them in so they were sitting on my head, walking on me, and tapping my face with their paws to get attention. I slept with a tissue under my right eye (I'm a side sleeper) to catch the drips & that seemed to help a little, but it's annoying that I had to do that.
I'm going to wrap a scarf around my lower face to keep me from touching it & to catch any of my coughs/sneezes when I'm out. I think I might put on safety glasses to keep me from touching my eyes to wipe away drips & crud.

I'm about to head out to the post office & store now to see what is in stock.

...I'm starting to think I have a cold ... feeling cruddy. My nose has gotten agitated from the mucus so there was a little bleeding when I blew my nose.... nose wouldn't stop dripping ... eyes were dripping & crudded over. My right eye is the worst-- it's continuing to drip & feel irritated & vision is blurry in it. My eyes looked red in the mirror. Throat is sore and sinuses are stuffy. I can feel my nose stuffed but it's up higher near the sinus cavity. ... I think I might put on safety glasses to keep me from touching my eyes to wipe away drips & crud... about to head out to the post office & store now to see what is in stock.

Going to spread the joy?

Working on the FIFO food can storage. Yesterday I cut the biscuit joints and did a dry assembly. Discovered I missed four cuts on the back.

View attachment 38734

View attachment 38735

View attachment 38736
Why, yes I do like your clamps.

Slept in this morning.
Sipping coffee with Strawberry snoring by my side in the recliner.
Got wild hair this morning, might see if I can get that tamed.
Looks like I stuck my finger in outlet.
Going to put on pork roast this morning, cook it low and slow in the oven along with hot rolls, maybe a cake of some sort.
Chilly,dreary here this morning.
Working on new cross stitch queen size quilt top.
Still haven't decided on strips on the twin size, but leaning towards tourquoise.
Hopefully my son will pick out the right shade of torquiose.
Last thing in kitchen that needs scrubbed down with bleach and Mr. clean is the inside of the refrig.
Will do that directly. Or not.

Thanks for the well-wishes.
That is odd about them not selling the plants. I wonder what is up with that.
I don't like pink so I have no intention of putting it on my tools- plus, I don't have any pink paint and don't have the desire to buy any. LOL.
I'm starting to think I have a cold and not just allergies. I've stayed out of contact with people for the most part, but am feeling cruddy. My nose has gotten agitated from the mucus so there was a little bleeding when I blew my nose. I used some Simply Saline to clean it out twice last night because it kept having problems. I woke up around 1am sneezing & my nose wouldn't stop dripping so I took another allergy pill & went to go clear things out with the saline. Woke again sometime- not sure what time-- and my eyes were dripping & crudded over. My right eye is the worst-- it's continuing to drip & feel irritated & vision is blurry in it. My eyes looked red in the mirror. Throat is sore and sinuses are stuffy. I can feel my nose stuffed but it's up higher near the sinus cavity. I may have to call my doctor and get a prescription nasal spray. Hope I won't need an RX for my eyes though. My cats kept bothering me last night--the dog forced the door open and let them in so they were sitting on my head, walking on me, and tapping my face with their paws to get attention. I slept with a tissue under my right eye (I'm a side sleeper) to catch the drips & that seemed to help a little, but it's annoying that I had to do that.
I'm going to wrap a scarf around my lower face to keep me from touching it & to catch any of my coughs/sneezes when I'm out. I think I might put on safety glasses to keep me from touching my eyes to wipe away drips & crud.

I'm about to head out to the post office & store now to see what is in stock.
If you sick and by the sounds of it you are.
Keep your happy ass at home.
Nobody wants to get sick because you're being a jack ass.

View attachment 38734

View attachment 38735

View attachment 38736
I've got clamps like that, they go along with the shelf stops I use for the DVD's.
IMG_0547.jpeg

I have two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood that are going to become my new ammo storage shelves. It's a little strange that a 4x8 sheet of plywood only makes one 24 x 30 inch shelf unit... and the part I am really good at, lots of sawdust. :)

I forgot to mention K got his test results back Wednesday... negative like we thought. His co-worker was also negative but they told her to stay home to finish out the 14 day quarantine. K went back to work yesterday. He is playing catch-up fixing all the issues and problems that happened while he was home. One of the guys under him incited a panic the first day K had to stay home. He rallied the workers to walk off the job claiming they were in fear of getting sick and none of the upper management was looking out for their health (even though they locked down the office to be sanitized and anyone who had contact with the lady whose dad was confirmed to be sick until tests came back negative were told to stay home.). K had to lay that jackarse off yesterday saying there was no work to keep him busy. Hopefully that numbnut doesn't try to press charges or a claim with the union. Just in case K called the rep and told him off the record (K is friends with the guy from years back) why the knucklehead was let go. I warned K about the asshat a year ago when he hired him. He had issues with the guy a few years prior and I knew that guy was shady. He was always trying to undermine K and get out of having to actually work.

Made a batch of blueberry muffins for the girls this morning and just waiting for my pick up order from Joann's to be ready. Just some solid fabrics and muslin. I am thinking of making the girls fusion blankets for the summer. (a mix of quilting and crotchet). I am picky about fabrics so I am looking on Etsy and Ebay right now. I want pink shabby chic roses for Roo and lavender shabby chic florals for Juju Bee. But I want vintage-esqe fabrics and not the current trending florals from joanns or hancocks. Mainstream fabric stores are only good for interfacing, solids, thread, and fleece, in my opinion.

Working on getting Roo's lesson plans for next year done. I got part of next years science in the mail. She loves the Sassafras Science format and it is easy to set it up so she can work independently. This is where she has issues- independent study. She figured out how to run out the clock in first grade when it came to class work in the public school. She now tries to beat the clock and her work is very sloppy. I told her she will not move on to cursive until I can read her manuscript. Trust me, re-doing her work over and over again is having the desired effect. She is starting to focus on neatness a little bit.

Hopefully it warms up some soon so I can get the girls in the yard to burn off some energy.

I have two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood that are going to become my new ammo storage shelves. It's a little strange that a 4x8 sheet of plywood only makes one 24 x 30 inch shelf unit... and the part I am really good at, lots of sawdust. :)

Cut multiple times and measure correctly once?

I forgot to mention to the folks making masks I found a 144yd spool of 3/8" elastic on ebay for $35. Located in Los Angeles and ships in 24 hours. I ordered it last night and it shipped this morning before 9am. I am less than 100 miles from L.A. but it still looks like they are shipping fast because of the shortage and demand. Ebay item # 323825876027

3/8" twill tape should make some nice ties if you prefer to elastic. Etsy seems to have a good supply. Elastic too! U.S. bases sellers- not overseas.

Last edited:
Cut multiple times and measure correctly once?
I'm pretty careful with wood. I have the units drawn out in cad and virtually assembled to make sure everything fits and then my cut sheet that lays the pieces out on a 4x8 sheet fit for the best use of the wood. Then I transfer that cut sheet to the plywood and then cut it out.
I can build something pretty nice with metal and not have to worry about the details but I have to plan out the wood projects.

My son and brother can get the same results when "winging" it. I'm just not that good with wood although I built my shop and garage with a touch of just doing it. I did draw plans up before hand as the county wanted the drawings for the permit. I did the wiring in both on the run because the drawings were hard to track. I knew I wanted 4 circuits of five outlets placed every four feet and I laid out the lighting with 2 banks of ten lights each so it would be bright enough to walk in after being in the sun without having to let my eyes adjust for darkness. It is anything but dark with a twin tube fixture every four feet. I am now replacing all the twin tube with LED lighting that is even brighter.

Went for morning walk. Unfortunately, it looked like business as usual at stores and in traffic. I didn't stop anywhere, just walked.

Came home and did one eBay draft so far. We are getting through toes of unlisted eBay items. Yay!

Still need to dust and then grill some chicken and cook some broccoli and maybe a sweet potato.

Had cornbread in milk for breakfast- no buttermilk at home.

K has cabin fever from being stuck at home. He is driving us nuts with his pacing and fidgeting. I have tried finding odd jobs around the house to keep him occupied. So now he runs to the store for me to pick up supplies. Hopefully the test results come soon!
For those who are thinking of home schooling I recommend looking at the free curriculum from The Good and The Beautiful. They have a free science unit and free language arts for first grade through fifth grade. Well worth a look as a place to get started. We used the 3rd grade unit this year. It is okay but I am going to try a more natural approach with tons of reading and writing like Charlotte Mason for fourth grade.
Good thing K is ok. I'm sure you'd find something for him to do. Lol
Have you heard of "Ambleside online"? It has suggestions/outlines by grade level for every subject using Charlotte Mason style education. I used it too.
Libraries are posting helpful info on their websites and FB pages of links for educational stuff.
You can also access books online to check out on most library websites through digital resources. Libraries might not be open, but the staff is working and answering phones and emails.

Good thing K is ok. I'm sure you'd find something for him to do. Lol
Have you heard of "Ambleside online"? It has suggestions/outlines by grade level for every subject using Charlotte Mason style education. I used it too.
Libraries are posting helpful info on their websites and FB pages of links for educational stuff.
You can also access books online to check out on most library websites through digital resources. Libraries might not be open, but the staff is working and answering phones and emails.

Actually, I am familiar with Ambleside. I used that site to help when curriculum wasn't a fit for Roo. That is why we are now using a living spine book based science curriculum. I'm glad you reminded me about it.

Another good free curriculum is Easy Peezy online. 100% free curriculum that is for kids who can self regulate. If I didn't have to break Roo of that bad habits she learned at the public school I'd be using it.

Went for morning walk. Unfortunately, it looked like business as usual at stores and in traffic. I didn't stop anywhere, just walked.

Came home and did one eBay draft so far. We are getting through toes of unlisted eBay items. Yay!

Still need to dust and then grill some chicken and cook some broccoli and maybe a sweet potato.

Had cornbread in milk for breakfast- no buttermilk at home.

I swear the teenagers in our area are roaming around in packs now! I saw a group of close to 20 walking through our neighborhood this morning.

As for buttermilk... get some powdered buttermilk and store it in your freezer.

https://www.frontiercoop.com/fronti...KV4xHMrfLZwa1fSxURyvxKX2j0w508RBoCHX4QAvD_BwE

Latest posts

Back