What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day before yesterday we split firewood we had cut in late December but still need to stack it but need some more tin to put it on. We also filled in some more truck bog holes in the yard.

Yesterday we went to the doctor get a skin cancer cut out of DH's arm and they believe they have it all now and fortunate it hadn't gone deep into the fat layer and we got it in time. He still has a fair hole in his arm and 5 stitches. They couldn't put in dissolvable stitches in as they wouldn't hold so he will go and get the stitches out in a fortnight.

We also went grocery shopping and also managed to get all the things on our shopping list after going to 4 different stores. Abided by social distancing, used lots of hand washing and antibacterial hand wipes. Also we did some shopping for two elder people in our town too and bought it back and they came and picked it up today. They gave us the money to get things for them.

Today we I deep cleaned the two bathrooms and toilet, DH vacuumed, I cleaned off the kitchen table and sideboard, emptied the kitchen bin, we washed and dried the dishes, folded up three loads of clean washing and DH watered the vegetable gardens and potted fruit trees. We also dated rotated and put all the groceries away we bought yesterday and I paid all the bills online and added more savings to our home emergency fund, bank more money into our 3 month living expenses emergency fund and I paid another small extra payment off our mortgage.

Hi @Sewingcreations15 feel like I'm not seeing you around here much. I guess you are staying busy.
I've been working but not today. Baking bread first, then work on mixing my potting soil together, my own blend. Took an offspring to work earlier, finally found some soft bath tissue (TP).
Looks to be a beautiful day.
Oh, and fasting. We started last night. Worldwide fast.

Glad you are feeling better, Meer. I don't get depressed usually, but have had my ups and downs. A lot of it is not knowing exactly when we're moving. I want to just go already.
Baby chicks will be the center of attention today. Schoolwork, chores for the kids, and then youngest daughter will be visiting and doing their yoga lesson. Friday night, so pizzas made at home and a movie. I hope to get a few more boxes packed. Working on a loft upstairs. Got it painted, and need to finish boxing it. Boxes have been sitting outside for over a week, so I think they're good. Husband is still trying to get a Sam's order in...day 2, and no commitment. I don't think it's going to happen.

@Meerkat I think some depression or sadness is normal at this time.
Honestly, a lot of us may be grieving in some way. I know I am feeling a bit blue from moment to moment because it's been almost a year, plus all this stuff with the virus.
We can keep on trying to find joy in little things, like you do in your wildlife and dogs. I like it that your crow has adopted your homestead and you.

Hugs @Meerkat and hope your depression gets better and glad you saw a pretty bird this morning :) .

Thank you Sewing,I'm better today and for first time in years I'm enjoying seeing a cloudy day we need rain bad.I'm sure you know how that feels seeing so many fires there this past few months. :huggs:

So once I get busy turning that compost I'll feel much better too. Always do after working out.

Glad you are feeling better, Meer. I don't get depressed usually, but have had my ups and downs. A lot of it is not knowing exactly when we're moving. I want to just go already.
Baby chicks will be the center of attention today. Schoolwork, chores for the kids, and then youngest daughter will be visiting and doing their yoga lesson. Friday night, so pizzas made at home and a movie. I hope to get a few more boxes packed. Working on a loft upstairs. Got it painted, and need to finish boxing it. Boxes have been sitting outside for over a week, so I think they're good. Husband is still trying to get a Sam's order in...day 2, and no commitment. I don't think it's going to happen.
Hope the move happens soon Amich I know your ready for that to happen. :huggs:

Last edited:
@Meerkat I think some depression or sadness is normal at this time.
Honestly, a lot of us may be grieving in some way. I know I am feeling a bit blue from moment to moment because it's been almost a year, plus all this stuff with the virus.
We can keep on trying to find joy in little things, like you do in your wildlife and dogs. I like it that your crow has adopted your homestead and you.

Your right Patch and I know ayear is not a long time to have lost someone so important,and I just need to be grateful and accentuate the positive.That medication had me sicker thn heck, too.Got off it a couple weeks ago,helped alot.Nothing that makes me that sick can be good for me.I just jack up the music at times and go crazy in a morepositive way,haha.:huggs::thumbs:

@Patchouli good you are still working and haven't been put off like many. Glad you found TP it is like gold to find here too and in short supply along with many other items. Purchasing limits also apply on lots of goods.

We have been making all our own bread too and really happy we have good food storage here with the lack of supplies in the grocery store. Managed to help a couple of people with toilet paper but they insisted on paying us for it and more than we paid for it but we know two other families with children will be right for a while.

I can't fast for more than one meal unfortunately due to my hyperthyroidism as I get light headed and dizzy but still do try and pay fast offering.

Glad you are having a beautiful day there it is night here and we are having showers of beautiful rain.

We have been keeping busy here and prior just had so many medical appointments and were hardly home. Now we are doing a lot via telehealth or skype so don't have to leave home as often.

Been concentrating on saving and not leaving home nearly as much we are saving a fortune in fuel. Our fuel is however paid for by DVA for medical appointments over and above what fuel we use.

Most welcome @Meerkat and glad you are feeling better. Working in the yard certainly helps and we have been doing that a lot here too and got a lot of jobs marked off our to do list but much more to do yet.

Hope you get the much needed rain there. We have green grass here now and spent most of our time mowing, spraying for weeds and doing lawn edges.

I am already 2 items on the wife's chore list down! Two of my daughters and I just filled our 8 quart instant pot with 4 different kinds of sliced apples so she can make homemade apple sauce for our kids and most of the neighborhood kids. Then I walked around the house and sprayed all the door knobs and handles with activated water, which now has to sit for 10 minutes to kill anything that it is on them. I still have a few more chores to do but that was a good start.

I am going to start my annual gun inventory today too. Which means I need to clear off the work bench, dig out the digital camera, and start pulling them out one by one. I verify the make, model, add ons, accessories, upgrades, no. of mags, optics, custom work, etc. on my inventory, then I take an updated picture of both sides of the gun and the serial number. When I am done it all gets loaded onto 3 different encrypted flash drives. One for my office safe, one for my home safe, and one that I will send back to my Dad to put in his safe. Should be done by early May or so if I work on it every weekend.

I wanted to go look at gas grills today too, but the Mrs. asked me to just look online. "No unnecessary trips to the store please". I have been limping my grill along for 15 years now and decided it's time for a new one. I just want a low cost grill for now as in a few years we plan to turn 1/2 our patio into a 3 season porch, at which time I am going to build a permanent grill (and smoker) location and run a natural gas line to it.

Did nothing yesterday.

Rested from a busy week.

All the seed I planted this week , will probably rot in the ground , since the temps are in 30s at night and 50s in day , for next 7 days....they most likely will not germinate.

Oh well , I'll just replant in a few weeks ,when it's in the 90s and humidity is off the charts.

Been 5-6 years since I had a garden...got in too much hurry I guess.
Those 80+ deg days fooled me.

50s today and windy.

Jim

Most welcome @Meerkat and glad you are feeling better. Working in the yard certainly helps and we have been doing that a lot here too and got a lot of jobs marked off our to do list but much more to do yet.

Hope you get the much needed rain there. We have green grass here now and spent most of our time mowing, spraying for weeds and doing lawn edges.

I'm feeling better already just turned that compost pile I've been ignoring and did a few little jugs.
Plus " a Little Help From My Friends' here.

just found out for first time in 50 years I'm out of ammonia to help speed up compost but the beer and some green added hopefully make up for it. :thumbs:

Got a rowing machine delivered yesterday so I can do some low impact workouts to try and drop some of this weight I've put on since I started dialysis.

Got a call from my kidney transplant team and they want to push for a September transplant date. My sister is a 100% match and is eager to donate.

Otherwise, just "working" from home. Things are pretty quiet work wise right now.

Got a rowing machine delivered yesterday so I can do some low impact workouts to try and drop some of this weight I've put on since I started dialysis.

Got a call from my kidney transplant team and they want to push for a September transplant date. My sister is a 100% match and is eager to donate.

Otherwise, just "working" from home. Things are pretty quiet work wise right now.

Great news sparky!:thumbs::huggs:, hope time flies till then !

Hope everyone is well.
Been working on cross stitch queen size quilt, one block at a time.
Will be adding this site to my phone so I can add pictures more easy, for me.
Hopefully Monday or Tuesday my son and grand daughter will have their own apartment.
Still haven't figured out what Granny's little big girl did to my sewing machine.
Tension is all wocky jaw.
My sons suggested strongly if I was going to do online classes, just bite the big one and get 1Tbyte of internet instead of the 200 GB I had. Over charges will hurt the budget tremendously as I have found out recently.

Hope everyone is well.
Been working on cross stitch queen size quilt, one block at a time.
Will be adding this site to my phone so I can add pictures more easy, for me.
Hopefully Monday or Tuesday my son and grand daughter will have their own apartment.
Still haven't figured out what Granny's little big girl did to my sewing machine.
Tension is all wocky jaw.
My sons suggested strongly if I was going to do online classes, just bite the big one and get 1Tbyte of internet instead of the 200 GB I had. Over charges will hurt the budget tremendously as I have found out recently.

Hope your well too MoBook and things start turning around for you/

Made breakfast

We had errands to do so we went to the bank and pharmacy. Then to the hardware store in town so I could get some more seedlings.

Then we went to Lowes so hubby could buy some joist hangers for the new deck he's starting. He's adding onto the back deck so we have more growing space. Man! Lowes is a busy place. If nothing else is going on construction is certainly going on around this area. It was crazy. Hubby said its like that all the time. geesh

Got gas for the suv and then came home

Helped hubby with digging the post holes with the bobcat. Thank goodness he didn't dig up the septic pipe lol I was worried for a minute.

He's taking one of the trucks to get inspected since the fella is there right now

Sinuses are killing me today. Headache behind the eyes and my neck hurts too from it. Have to take some meds and hit the sack early I guess. Its the trees. Every spring its like this. Especially when the oaks start which is today according to the allergy website

Leftovers for supper. I hate wasting food so I make it a point that everything gets eaten before I make something else.

Yesterday, I moved and organized some eBay totes, made jello and then went out and fertilized the rose garden before it rained.

Today it is cooler! Put dirt and potting soil in lick tubs to plant lettuce and garlic in. Will plant Sat. or Sunday. Just made Ginger Spice Banana Bread.

Tomorrow, local grocery and hardware store, come home and plant, then clean bathrooms.

Still walking and doing video every day. Haven't gained but about 5 pounds back, so I call it a win!

@snappy1 what is ginger spice bread? sounds yummy.
@MoBookworm1957 hope little one is doing okay. You're having to pay for each amount of internet you use? I'm surprised they are still doing that.
Took the dog for a walk.
My bread fell. Will I ever get the hang of baking bread again?
I'm looking forward to eating but I've done pretty well fasting this time.
Happy Good Friday, everyone

Yesterday my friend called & asked for help on his bathroom renovation. I was feeling better, but still wore a mask. I helped him troubleshoot some issues, take measurements, brought over some tools, swapped out attachments on the Matrix, handed him tools & screws, and helped him move stuff around. He had another friend there who is strong to help move heavier things. The other friend is temporarily living there because his house burned down. I sent a message with a list of parts to my friend so he would know what to ask for at the hardware store. I know plumbing terminology & what part fits where & told him how to put it together. I ended up having to leave bc Mom called & needed food & I needed to take medicine so I headed home-- just in time for a freak thunderstorm to whip through. Apparently near my friend's house a powerline went down & a tree branch fell on someone's house. My friend continued to work on the bathroom & his fiance sent me pictures to update me on the progress. I messaged him suggestions, schematics, and instructions on installing stuff.

Power went out last night. This morning I felt like garbage & decided to take Samuel L Jackson's advice. LOL. I sent my brother to the store with a list & my card.

Well yesterday I done my back digging sweet potatoes and had a hellish night with next to no sleep.
I'm up for a new garden fork because the handle broke half way through the job.

Newly planted zucchini plants need watering and bean plants need to be put in the ground and covered with orchard netting.
Just the thought is enough to have me whimper.
Getting down the stairs to feed the chickens had me clammy, sweaty and nauseous.
I might be in a bit of trouble if it doesn't sort it's self out soon.

@The Lazy L That looks great. How 'bout using a bore bit on the drill to get the semi-circles so you can grip???
@MoBookworm1957 Fingers crossed (and prayers of course) that son finds a suitable place.

I had a thought: yep just one. That's all it takes to clog up my wee brain.
Easter is this weekend. It is one of our rights (as opposed to privileges) to congregate. Truth is, I haven't attended since we've moved here. Eventually, I will find a church family to "fit in" with. There are a great number of Adventists here, which is not my belief so it will just be time. However, I thought of a way that I would love to see for an Easter service under current circumstances. If someone had a huge pasture, the pastor could have a PA system and families could come park, each car at least 6' apart in a field then the pastor could deliver the message. Leaving could be closest to the rear first and wait your turn to leave "safely." What a sight if it covered a giant area - coming together, but apart to lift up His name. (Oh, or maybe tune in to a certain radio station.)
Wouldn't that be amazing? I don't have the means for such, but would love it if it happened somewhere - anywhere.
Well, I'm pretty sure that was my 1 brilliant thought for the day.
Blessings~
Hoping you're all staying safe and healthy.
They did in South Carolina (I think) and they were given $500 tickets to each person.

Yesterday, I moved and organized some eBay totes, made jello and then went out and fertilized the rose garden before it rained.

Today it is cooler! Put dirt and potting soil in lick tubs to plant lettuce and garlic in. Will plant Sat. or Sunday. Just made Ginger Spice Banana Bread.

Tomorrow, local grocery and hardware store, come home and plant, then clean bathrooms.

Still walking and doing video every day. Haven't gained but about 5 pounds back, so I call it a win!
LadyL I'd call i a win too. :thumbs:

Well yesterday I done my back digging sweet potatoes and had a hellish night with next to no sleep.
I'm up for a new garden fork because the handle broke half way through the job.

Newly planted zucchini plants need watering and bean plants need to be put in the ground and covered with orchard netting.
Just the thought is enough to have me whimper.
Getting down the stairs to feed the chickens had me clammy, sweaty and nauseous.
I might be in a bit of trouble if it doesn't sort it's self out soon.

Tank I hope its not bad. Be careful with it for awhile.

Latest posts

Back