What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to admit it. WVDragonlady But I am an old 70's kinda guy.
I was like Juan Epstein
If you know who that was we are on the same wave link

Frodo I wa a young kid when Red Sskelton was on and Jimmy D too but our parents watched hese guys religiously,since mos had one TV channel or radio Shows like Amos and Andy, The Shadow, Burns and Allen,etc,etc,etc,.

This morning had to go to local grocery and then back home, sanitize and went for walk. Came home and started double batch of split pea soup using ham bone that was just cooked a couple days ago. The soup should keep us going awhile and I'll freeze some. Will set up DH's meds for the next 2 weeks. Fella that mows was here today, always does a great job! I think I'll mess around in garden, but not plant for a few days because of severe weather tomorrow and then cold-ish for a couple of days. After that, I think I'm good to go!

And Happy Easter to all ya'll!

Made breakfast
Helped hubby set posts for the deck
Moved plants around and decided to put the strawberry plants in the greenhouse because of the severe weather we're supposed to get tomorrow. Everything else is doing great outside so far
Hubby left to pick up some concrete for the posts, drop off a manual for the plow at the mechanic's and to pick up some supper for us
Don't plan on doing anything else today but read some, watch videos and get the coffee pot ready for tomorrow

All i did yesterday was make 10 masks for my wife and I to use.
I am board to death. I have not seen another person besides my wife in 3 weeks and I am ready to kill her. LOL just kidding,,
received some leather yesterday.
View attachment 39434
A nice double shoulder, And now I am tying to figure out what to make.
i like the top one..but i think the bottom will sell more

View attachment 39435

View attachment 39436
I like the top one better. Looks very cool. Do you make tool belts too? I know you make stuff for ammo, but trying to remember if you've ever done a tool belt. I love the leatherworking you do.
This morning had to go to local grocery and then back home, sanitize and went for walk. Came home and started double batch of split pea soup using ham bone that was just cooked a couple days ago. The soup should keep us going awhile and I'll freeze some. Will set up DH's meds for the next 2 weeks. Fella that mows was here today, always does a great job! I think I'll mess around in garden, but not plant for a few days because of severe weather tomorrow and then cold-ish for a couple of days. After that, I think I'm good to go!

And Happy Easter to all ya'll!
Do you have the recipe for the split pea soup? What kind of peas are the best to use? I love split pea soup. Used to buy the stuff in a can but they no longer have it. We've got a pressure cooker so I think we could make a batch if we get the right supplies.

My friend had wanted me to come over today to help him with plumbing but he forgot to mention it to me. He's still got a headache from hitting his head the other day. His fiance messaged me around noon saying I was supposed to come over- news to me. I felt like garbage anyway. Had the chills, took my temp: 97.9. Face feels somewhat numb & I'm a bit lightheaded. Otherwise I'm ok. Just mostly feeling tired. So I'm not going anywhere today or tomorrow.

Hope everyone else is feeling ok. Sorry to hear about the cow & her baby dying. (I have trouble remembering who said what). Got one of my orange cats on my lap curled up & happy. Petting cats & listening to them purr makes me feel better.

I like the top one better. Looks very cool. Do you make tool belts too? I know you make stuff for ammo, but trying to remember if you've ever done a tool belt. I love the leatherworking you do.

Do you have the recipe for the split pea soup? What kind of peas are the best to use? I love split pea soup. Used to buy the stuff in a can but they no longer have it. We've got a pressure cooker so I think we could make a batch if we get the right supplies.

My friend had wanted me to come over today to help him with plumbing but he forgot to mention it to me. He's still got a headache from hitting his head the other day. His fiance messaged me around noon saying I was supposed to come over- news to me. I felt like garbage anyway. Had the chills, took my temp: 97.9. Face feels somewhat numb & I'm a bit lightheaded. Otherwise I'm ok. Just mostly feeling tired. So I'm not going anywhere today or tomorrow.

Hope everyone else is feeling ok. Sorry to hear about the cow & her baby dying. (I have trouble remembering who said what). Got one of my orange cats on my lap curled up & happy. Petting cats & listening to them purr makes me feel better.

yes I make tool belts. same as any other belt just different. LOL

Attachments

• 20200220_093327 (1).jpg
    20200220_093327 (1).jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200220_093419.jpg
    20200220_093419.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 62
Day 2 of my 4 days off. Still doing chores for the house manager, err I mean wife. Things like adding a second monitor on to her "work from home" computer and doing dishes as she cooked/prepped food for today and tomorrow. Gave the kids a break from dog duty and took the furry beasts out back for a rousing game of soccer. We buy and watch about 10 soccer balls get destroyed every year, but the dogs love chasing and fighting over them. Then I made some adjustments to a couple surveillance cameras. I also worked on my gun inventory for a while and also set up some Zore locks on a few light-equipped handguns (which are now stashed in a few additional locations around the house). Now I am waiting for dinner which will be followed by a movie for just the the wife and I. Tonight's flick is Mr. & Mrs. Smith, a movie the wife and I went to on a date night when staying at a bed & breakfast many years ago. We will just be watching it on the television as the kids are going to watch something called Trolls World Tour in the home theater.

Do you have the recipe for the split pea soup?

I kind of make it up as I go according to how much and what veggies I have on hand. Today (and I cook it all in a slow cooker), I used:
2 pounds of green split peas
1 onion, chopped
1 bag of baby carrots chopped
About 5 stalks of celery ( all those veggies I chopped up in the food processor for speed and ease)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
2 Tablespoons granulated chicken broth
1 ham bone plus a small package of ham crumbles
2 Tablespoons Slap yo Mama season and 1 Tablespoon Tony Cachiere More Season

I cooked it on high in the slow cooker for about 4 and a half hours. Perfect! I like to add a lot more veggies than most do.

Hope you feel better soon Zannej!

Happy Easter everyone as we are on Sunday here already.

Yesterday we did pretty much nothing but I did cut DH's hair, gave myself a manicure and pedicure, shaved legs and moisturised so feeling lots better and pampered.

Not sure what we will do today being Easter Sunday but not a lot I would imagine being a day of rest but will spend some family time together.

My world here at home on the farm goes on.

I suffer not by being isolated at home...just the wife and I. We are very busy and happy .

We hardly even notice the world around us is messed up.

Today I finally finished putting all the hot wires around my downsized garden....which is all planted.
Wires are , from bottom up, at 4",10", 26", and top one at 48"...hooked up and hot.
That's worked for me for many years.

Then I tilled a spot beside my house , about 8'x20' , side nobody can see , just for tomatoes and peppers.

Gotta wait for temps to go up before setting them out in

Storms coming thru again tomorrow.

No church tomorrow, due to storms , drive-in church might get nasty.

Happy Easter to everyone.

Stay home, stay safe, have a great day.

My friend with the virus is at home doing good.
Treating it be like the flu.

Jim

I sort of miss that last Charolais. I could walk out in the pasture at night and call his name. He'd come to me and put his giant head against my chest... he liked to have his ears scratched, gentle as a lamb.

We used to have a Chianina like that he was a giant 18 hand 10 ton baby. Ok so maybe not quite 10 tons but he looked it.

I'd say it'd be a good idea to have 3 months cash at home. Whatever you spend on everything...3 months. Just in case.
Not much going on around here. Did get a chocolate cream pie made for Easter dinner tomorrow. Got a few boxes packed, too. The police showed up at son's work today and closed them down. His boss is calling no fair, because the Santa Fe plant nurseries are allowed to do delivery orders, and curbside orders. These cops said no business at all. No plants in Albuquerque now, unless you can scrounge some at Lowes or Home Depot. Am very glad our seedlings are all looking good. Baby chicks...13 hatched. Will leave it running through tomorrow, since 2 hatched just a few hours ago. Little granddaughter sits on a chair by the brooder and plays her music box for them.

Feel better soon Zanne,my lasy=t great grand aka Tarzan name is Zane.:thumbs:

Last edited:
Stayed busy in the garden this afternoon. Keeping a close eye on weather reports for the middle of the week, temps are supposed to get down into the high 30’s/low 40’s for about 3 nights. I’d hate to see a little frost bite the plants I already have up and growing.

Keeping a close eye on tomorrow’s weather also. The first super cell of the season is still predicted. On a 1 to 5 scale, my county is a 4 for long lived large tornadoes from noon until midnight (5 being the strongest possibility). Even the straight-line winds are predicted to be 70mph. Fingers crossed there is no damage here…

Tonight I’m trying to relax, build up energy for tomorrow.

Oh and I have a question for you all which is how much of a cash stash should you keep at home for emergency purposes ?. Obviously just in case there is a run on the banks.

I don’t keep a lot of cash around, maybe a thousand or so, more in summer than winter. In summer I’m more likely to see a for sale sign in someone’s yard. No telling when I might stumble across a bargain and need cash.

At my age an emergency usually means a hospital and a boat load of cash. I'm not that worried about a run on the banks. Most purchases are done electronically these days anyway. If the bank or plastic doesn't work the store probably won't either, thats what the pantry is for.

We used to have a Chianina like that he was a giant 18 hand 10 ton baby. Ok so maybe not quite 10 tons but he looked it.

Here is one of the two bulls I wrote about... he'd weight about 2200lbs.

big boy mid (1) (1) sm.jpg

I had eggs in the incubator one year… Dad and I were raking and baling hay one day and I can home for lunch… I kept hearing what sounded like a bird in the house. I actually wandered about looking for the bird…

I was so busy with hay that week I’d forgotten about the eggs, they had started hatching… boy did I feel stupid… “Where is that darn bird at?” :rolleyes:

My world here at home on the farm goes on.

I suffer not by being isolated at home...just the wife and I. We are very busy and happy .

We hardly even notice the world around us is messed up.

Today I finally finished putting all the hot wires around my downsized garden....which is all planted.
Wires are , from bottom up, at 4",10", 26", and top one at 48"...hooked up and hot.
That's worked for me for many years.

Then I tilled a spot beside my house , about 8'x20' , side nobody can see , just for tomatoes and peppers.

Gotta wait for temps to go up before setting them out in

Storms coming thru again tomorrow.

No church tomorrow, due to storms , drive-in church might get nasty.

Happy Easter to everyone.

Stay home, stay safe, have a great day.

My friend with the virus is at home doing good.
Treating it be like the flu.

Jim

Phone rang and I forgot to answer your post.Happens often haha,

I agreewith this and work on it .Take care Jim.

My oldest son is still here at my house.
First apartment fell through.
He made too much money.
Second apartment he'll look at Monday after work.
Had grand daughter today with her daddy.
All in all pretty good day.
Only 1 hissy fit and I had it.
Grand daughter has such funny look on her face when I was having hissy fit.
She came over and patted Granny's leg, told me it will be alright Granny.
But she ate her lunch like the big little girl she is, peas and all.
Still working on cross stitch queen size quilt block.
Just about got the first block completely finished.
Then only 11 more to do.
I have to set out Easter stuff in a while.
Grand daughter and I will cook in the morning.
We're making biscuits,fried hash browns with red peppers, green onions, ham steaks.
Then I will get a ham ready to go in oven.
Will have to pick up grocery order at 1400 hours.
Happy Easter everybody.
Clem,
Sorry about the cow and calf.

Last edited:
Happy Easter everyone as we are on Sunday here already.

Yesterday we did pretty much nothing but I did cut DH's hair, gave myself a manicure and pedicure, shaved legs and moisturised so feeling lots better and pampered.

Not sure what we will do today being Easter Sunday but not a lot I would imagine being a day of rest but will spend some family time together.

Happy Easter Sewing and Tank Girl.

The belts look cool, Frodo.
Greenhouse is looking good, Terri.
Thanks, Meerkat.
Peanut, those are beautiful cows. I had to look twice because my eyes were playing tricks on me. Looked like the one behind was eating something other than grass (but that rhymes with it). LOL.
Good to hear you had a nice day, Mo. I'd love to see pictures of the quilt you are working on. I have an elderly friend who used to make quilts. She's moved to the other side of the state so we don't get to see her much anymore. She's in her 90s now & I really miss her. When the virus is completely clear, I want to visit her. She's like a grandmother to me. I've spent more time with her than with either of my biological grandmothers.

I stayed home, made lunch- my brother made rice & I heated up some roast beef au jus. I napped a bit & then mom woke me up wanting dinner but heard how tired I was so she let me get another 2 hours of sleep. I needed it. Made dinner (hamburger helper stroganoff again). Put leftovers away & I'm back in bed. I still feel like garbage. Feel lightheaded & tired. Still no fever though. Throat is feeling better. I've got a slight sinus headache. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I think it might be barometric pressure changes-- I can be sensitive to them.

My cat, Predicate, hopped on my shoulder earlier & wanted a lift to my room. My mother gets very amused because she's discovered if she yells "tree time" the cat will look for me and jump on my shoulder. He's halfway perched on my shoulder right now, being cuddly.

The belts look cool, Frodo.
Greenhouse is looking good, Terri.
Thanks, Meerkat.
Peanut, those are beautiful cows. I had to look twice because my eyes were playing tricks on me. Looked like the one behind was eating something other than grass (but that rhymes with it). LOL.
Good to hear you had a nice day, Mo. I'd love to see pictures of the quilt you are working on. I have an elderly friend who used to make quilts. She's moved to the other side of the state so we don't get to see her much anymore. She's in her 90s now & I really miss her. When the virus is completely clear, I want to visit her. She's like a grandmother to me. I've spent more time with her than with either of my biological grandmothers.

I stayed home, made lunch- my brother made rice & I heated up some roast beef au jus. I napped a bit & then mom woke me up wanting dinner but heard how tired I was so she let me get another 2 hours of sleep. I needed it. Made dinner (hamburger helper stroganoff again). Put leftovers away & I'm back in bed. I still feel like garbage. Feel lightheaded & tired. Still no fever though. Throat is feeling better. I've got a slight sinus headache. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I think it might be barometric pressure changes-- I can be sensitive to them.

Its that time of year for sinus trouble,I had it last week.Hope you feel better soon .

Oh and I have a question for you all which is how much of a cash stash should you keep at home for emergency purposes ?. Obviously just in case there is a run on the banks.
Amish suggested three months worth. That sounds like a good amount. The banks pay no interest anyway.

Stayed busy in the garden this afternoon. Keeping a close eye on weather reports for the middle of the week, temps are supposed to get down into the high 30’s/low 40’s for about 3 nights. I’d hate to see a little frost bite the plants I already have up and growing.

Keeping a close eye on tomorrow’s weather also. The first super cell of the season is still predicted. On a 1 to 5 scale, my county is a 4 for long lived large tornadoes from noon until midnight (5 being the strongest possibility). Even the straight-line winds are predicted to be 70mph. Fingers crossed there is no damage here…

Tonight I’m trying to relax, build up energy for tomorrow.

I don’t keep a lot of cash around, maybe a thousand or so, more in summer than winter. In summer I’m more likely to see a for sale sign in someone’s yard. No telling when I might stumble across a bargain and need cash.

At my age an emergency usually means a hospital and a boat load of cash. I'm not that worried about a run on the banks. Most purchases are done electronically these days anyway. If the bank or plastic doesn't work the store probably won't either, thats what the pantry is for.

Here is one of the two bulls I wrote about... he'd weight about 2200lbs.

View attachment 39500

That is a great looking Bull. But if he's causing cows and calves to die he's doing you no good.
We raised Short horn Durhams or herfords. Never had any problems with birthings. My grandpas largest bull was about 1 ton. He was similarly muscled. Maybe not as heavy in his front shoulders.He wasn't mean, but he wouldn't come to anyone either.
Today I just finished rotating my fuel stocks for the year. I'll keep an eye on prices and maybe rotate again at around $2.50/gallon. I paid $2.29 today for 100% fuel. Also mowed the yard, fruit plots, and around my garden spots. Thought about tilling up some more spots and planting. But we are expecting 3-5" of rain tomorrow, winds up to 50 mph and possible tornados. I was afraid the dirt would wash off so I decided to just wait on that. Temps are gonna be around freezing again tonight and again Wed and Thur mornings. I'll plant after that.
Cash wise, we pulled all but about $500 bucks from each of our accounts. The one I pay bills from gets a direct deposit from work and I pay everything right away, so there isn't a great deal that stays there. I felt like I could always spend the cash as long as I have access to it. Just got it stashed in case. Don't plan on using it for anything right now.

Latest posts

Back