What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got all the mowing done today.

Canned green beans ..

Grandkids and daughter visited for 2 hrs..always happy to see them

They want my wife to make them 4 mask each for school. They picked out material, from wife's storage... She has more than any store.

Tried to get them to take a cat. We only have 7 out there. 😳

Jim
You have a riding mower, but I saw a similar video and thought of you. We used to keep 1/4 of a city block mowed when I was a kid. Doing it this way would have been fun.

I'm running the camera for our church's "live" lawn service this morning. They would like it if I could be there at 8 AM for the music rehearsal and to help run wires and connect anything. Wife doesn't want to drive separate so she's going to go with me.

Wife got up a hour before me, she's reading a newspaper with the kitchen TV on. She asked me what time I need to be at church? 8 I reply. So you want to leave at 8?. No, before 8. OK and she goes back to reading her paper.

I shave, brush teeth, make the bed and get dressed. I am ready to go. Wife is now reading, with the TV on while she eats breakfast.

I put the lawn chair in the car for wife to sit on during the service and print out the service's song lyrics for her. I hear her heading upstairs to get dressed and put on her face. Bet ya a nickel we don't leave before 8....

I'm running the camera for our church's "live" lawn service this morning. They would like it if I could be there at 8 AM for the music rehearsal and to help run wires and connect anything. Wife doesn't want to drive separate so she's going to go with me.

Wife got up a hour before me, she's reading a newspaper with the kitchen TV on. She asked me what time I need to be at church? 8 I reply. So you want to leave at 8?. No, before 8. OK and she goes back to reading her paper.

I shave, brush teeth, make the bed and get dressed. I am ready to go. Wife is now reading, with the TV on while she eats breakfast.

I put the lawn chair in the car for wife to sit on during the service and print out the service's song lyrics for her. I hear her heading upstairs to get dressed and put on her face. Bet ya a nickel we don't leave before 8....

Sunday's have sure changed here; we used to get "all fancied up" and go to church 1/2 hour before meeting time so wife could socialize with her friends. Now, days we get up, I search the gospel for lessons, she looks up music; we gather and have prayers, sing songs, listen/read lessons, and close. She is in a very high risk group so we may never get to go to in-person church again. We still reach out to the members of our congregation, but because people make selfish choices I don’t think we can risk the big meetings anymore.

On the plus side, I did get ½ a day back to do stuff around the house.

I think this is a new one, at least for me. Our Grandson is being Christened today. We will attend a Zoom Christening. They are doing it in the backyard, and get this, instead of a Baptismal font (the Catholics will know) they are using a squirt gun. Go figure. The times they are a changin'.

Good luck with the move Mo. Didtn' know you were movin.
Loaded the trash up and headed for the dump. I noticed a strong smell of gas, but went on anyway. I had a quarter tank of gas when I left the house and a little over halfway to the dump (maybe 6-8 miles my fuel light came on, drove on the the nearest gas station and started pumping gas and head something strange, knelt down and looked around the tire and could see fuel shooting out. Crawled up under the truck enough to where I could find the hose running from the fill neck to the fuel tank. Didn't take long to find the spot it was leaking from. I was so low on fuel I knew I'd never get back home, so got to digging around in the truck to find something ti patch the hose enough to put fuel in the truck and head home. I couldn't find any tape, or clamps. So went in the store and got a small roll of electrical tape and cut up a heavy piece of plastic and taped it around the hose to cover the hole. It still leaked but I got 5 gallons in it and got back home.
Wife canned 4 jars of tomatos, we picked almost a 5 gallon bucket at various stages of ripeness. Almost a pint of blueberries, they are about done.

My goodness BacP that was dangerous,but guess you have to do what you have to do.Glad your guarean angel was with you,:thumbs:

Church is closed today.
As of Friday night.

Because one of our regular members is very sick , covid symptons, tested , results due by Tuesday.

So it will be internet services for a couple weeks.

Gonna make sphagetti sauce today.

Wish my new air fryer would come. I'd try it out today on some cheekin..(Mexican) .

Watching Audie Murphy for now

93 degrees out already.

Jim

Actually Patch,
I am getting a lot of what I want with the new place.
Now I live in unsafe neighborhood, with weird neighbors.
Before I lived in drug infested,neighborhood, but it wasn't when I had moved in 7 years ago.
Before I lived in 2 bedroom apartment with 4 closets.
Now I live in 1 bedroom with 2 closets.(1 closet is as wide as my file cabinet and that's all).
I will be moving into new neighborhood, my new apartment has 2 bedrooms 5 closets, huge bathroom, open floor plan.
8 x 10 patio walled on 2 sides, U shaped kitchen with modern appliances.
By modern I mean refrig with ice maker, stove with storage under oven, range hood that's the microwave, sink with garbage disposal and a dishwasher. Upper cabinets on 2 sides of the area, bottom cabinets on 3 sides of the area.
Breakfast bar, laundry room with closing doors, walk in master bedroom closet, second bedroom is smaller, but it's the same size as what I have now. Dining area, area by the laundry room I can put my sewing stuff and my desk, printer etc.
And 1 car garage too, covered front porch.
No it's not a house, but we are only 2 miles from the park and Strawberry and I can walk to the park for exercise.
I think I will be happy there.
Yes, I would rather have a house, yard for Strawberry, grandchildren and myself, but that's not feasible.
Can't afford it.
And I can still garden with my raised beds and won't have to worry about neighbor's grand children damaging my garden or hurting Strawberry.

That sounds great.
Hope you get settled in quickly .
Be happy.

Jim

I had a really good day. I lost touch with a good friend about 3 years ago. His life was in turmoil at the time… I lost my phone with ALL my contact info going back a dozen years about the same time. I’d been to his house a few times at night. I knew it was across the street from a school, I’d driven by the school a dozen times since looking for his house but never recognized any of them.

Today I had to run an errand in the big town. A traffic accident prevented me from making a left turn… I went straight knowing I could cut across by that school again and get to the produce market, my destination.

I turned left 4 blocks to soon having never went to the market this way… There wasn’t one school but two of them!!! I drove right by my friend’s house, recognized it and stopped. All those times I drove by that school I never knew that 4 blocks over was another school. A neighborhood high school and elementary back in the day.

Anyway, it was great seeing my old buddy! He’d tried to reach me dozens of times as well. His sister knew someone I knew but Mr. J. died about 3 years ago… The email addy he used for me was an old one from 10 years ago…

We’d usually meet up in town, play pool, have a cold one… Always on Tuesday … Saturday afternoons during football season. I always knew where to find him. That “hole in the wall” bar closed about 3 years ago as well… I was never one to hang out in bars… I had the phone numbers of a couple of the people that hung out there but those were lost with my phone.

Well, I never did get to the produce market but found something more important, an old friend. :)

what a coincidence...

I got a phone call yesterday from an old friend of years ago.
He lives in upper New York. We worked together for 25 years , haven't seen him for about 20 years .
We talked for over an hour , laughed a lot at some old stories.
Discussed our Heath after so many years. Not good on either on.

What a great time it was.
If it wasn't such a long trip ,11 hrs, I go visit.

Jim

Church is closed today.
As of Friday night.

Because one of our regular members is very sick , covid symptons, tested , results due by Tuesday.

So it will be internet services for a couple weeks.

Gonna make sphagetti sauce today.

Wish my new air fryer would come. I'd try it out today on some cheekin..(Mexican) .

Watching Audie Murphy for now

93 degrees out already.

Jim

My foodness Jim down here in Florida our temp is just 84 with 90 high today. But over the years I've noticed we are usually lower temps than many states up north. Then again humidity is usually higher.

So far just cooked breakfast, anad put lime huice on a patch of bad skin on dog. See if it helps then bathe her and put it all over her.Maybe some coconut oil .Blend it good in water first so its not oily.
Don't know what will get doen today.

• Today: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 4pm.  Mostly sunny, with a high near 92. Heat index values as high as 100. East wind around 6 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

T-storms
    Likely
    High: 92 °F
  • Tonight

Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1am, then a slight chance of showers between 1am and 2am.  Mostly cloudy, with a low around 73. Calm wind.  Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Chance
    T-storms then
    Slight Chance
    Showers
    Low: 73 °F
  • Monday

Monday: A slight chance of showers before 9am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 9am and noon, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after noon.  Partly sunny, with a high near 91. Heat index values as high as 102. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.  Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Showers
    Likely
    High: 91 °F
  • Monday
    Night
    Monday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 2am.  Mostly cloudy, with a low around 73. Calm wind.

Chance
    Showers
    Low: 73 °F
  • Tuesday

Tuesday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms between 8am and 2pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 2pm.  Mostly cloudy, with a high near 90. Light southwest wind.  Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Chance
    Showers then
    Showers
    Likely
    High: 90 °F
  • Tuesday
    Night
    Tuesday Night: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 8pm, then a slight chance of showers.  Mostly cloudy, with a low around 73. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Showers
    Likely then
    Slight Chance
    Showers
    Low: 73

Last edited:
what a coincidence...

I got a phone call yesterday from an old friend of years ago.
He lives in upper New York. We worked together for 25 years , haven't seen him for about 20 years .
We talked for over an hour , laughed a lot at some old stories.
Discussed our Heath after so many years. Not good on either on.

What a great time it was.
If it wasn't such a long trip ,11 hrs, I go visit.

Jim

Nothing like old friends, I still have one from childhood we talk several times a week, have another one since kids, but her husband of past 20 yr.s stopped all communication so not talked yo her in 15 years now.
I hear about her now and then from her daughter who is facebook friends with my kids.

Had a great visit with visiting friends and their dogs! Ate too much and no exercise. Was better than vacation! LOL At first it was touchy with 3 extra dogs, but all was well within half hour or so. Went to a flea market with my friend and got DH a side table with storage to put beside his recliner. All wood and heavy!
Other than that jaunt, we stayed home and visited. Got all housecleaning and cooking done before they arrived. Now they are gone 😢 and I'm still not doing anything the rest of the day.

That sounds great.
Hope you get settled in quickly .
Be happy.

Jim
I think I will Jim.
I thought of you guys when I looked in the garage.
Even the garage has a closet.
Yes, that's where the furnace is, but the furnace only takes up 1/4 of the closet.
Endless possibilities come to mind.
And you don't pay extra on a water bill if you own a washer and dryer, that is averaged out.

Last edited:
Moved some path pavers so he can mow grass, who! Will I ever learn that I don't get tired till I stop,then I realize its humid and hot and I'm not 25 .But got it done, made lunch cleaned kitchen and now back online for a few.
Been studying algae predictions to see if there are any beach swimming and fishing in the next couple weeks.e Damn the feeders aka leadrs who have destroyed the waters for money,worse than they mafia,at least the mafia has limits.
A Cuban owns the biggest water polluter in the state. Gov.Desantas promised to restore the Everglades natural flow " HE LIED". Sugar beet crops.
How'd you like to swim in this toxic soup?This what our beaches looked like a year ago. Killed all kinds of sealife.

Anyway thats what I've been doing this morning ,afternoon,studyging.

1595790368896.png

Grand daughter, her daddy and his lady friend from his work came by today.
Dropped container of soup this morning.
It went everywhere.
Strawberry was trying to get cleaned up just as fast as she could.
Son and grand daughter brought me their leftovers: Sloppy joe casserole.
So I'm having that for supper.
Been cleaning besides the soup mess.
Pretty much everything is packed in the living room.
Got a few quilt blocks in picture frames that I put together years ago to still take off the wall.
Started in the dining area taking things down.
Didn't get kitchen packed yesterday.
Maybe tomorrow.
Got to pick up a few more totes, boxes.
Strawberry has been walked this morning several times.
We have been outside several times.
Just resting now.

Arrived in Denver. We reserved a large studio at the Hotel, and were put in a small studio, tv doesn't work, and there was not a handicapped bathroom/shower available. One person on duty in the entire Marriot Residence Inn. She gave us a phone number to call for tv support. We were on hold for 45 minutes then gave up. Husband called her at the front desk and said that's it. She is cleaning a studio for us as we speak. She said it won't be perfect. (what does that mean?) because the cleaning staff has gone. She says she is busy and has to walk 5 people to another hotel. I don't get that either. So, I've repacked everything, need to go get a large cart for husband's medical equipment and our suitcases, and she will let us know. Hopefully soon. We have to leave for the hospital by 6am.
Hi Weedy! We are in your city!

Had a great visit with the parents. We picked up an ice cream cake on our way out. They had me cut pieces as soon as we got it there. Sister came by too. We talked for a good while about mother's Dr visit and the monitor they have her on for 30 days. Her color looked good today and she seemed pretty much at ease. Daddy was showing me the new storm door on the back porch he had installed, then went to the shop to show me the Tiller transmission he had finally gotten apart. They are taking a road trip soon as they can to get the parts he needs for it. They sent us home with some more tomatos to can. Mother ain't up to it. So wife is gonna can them up for her.

The day is about over, got 2 more floor to ceiling cabinets installed. Spending the evening cleaning the work space. Tomorrow, the countertops will be installed and I want to be ready.

I did make a fixture using strips of plywood to allow me to cut very streight lines (on 8' Lumber) using my old skillsaw. Ripped some laminated boards that will serve as toe kicks and finishing stock.

While taking a break, I did some research, the question was,"How much TP does a family of 4 use?" the answer was 8.5 rolls a week or 442 rolls per year. Guess I was just being silly....

During the week I placed a few pick-up orders for household supplies at Target. I made several separate orders to take advantage of their 'buy-2-get-$5-gift-card' deal. This will help down the road for gifts or last minutes shopping trips. I picked up my orders this morning and did a quick circuit around the store before leaving. I am very surprised at how empty the store was. I didn't check the grocery section but the housewares, clothing and even toys looked very empty and picked over. I grabbed some more school supplies since those were well stocked and untouched.

The rest of the day I have been setting up the school room. I have Roo's Ikea cube bookcase under the window for reference books and general supplies. She was using it to stand up in her window so K and I brought it downstairs for the school room. It saved me money and time because I was looking to get something like that for the school room. I got my new printer cart yesterday so I put it together and got the printer on it and various types of paper in the drawers for now. I am waiting for K to help me move the barrister bookcase into the school room before I move the desk/work table to the other side of the room.

Our den looks like we are moving again but that is because of all the boxes I took out of the school room that were storage overflow. Now I will have to go through them all once the school room is done. Good thing I got Roo's lesson plans done for the year! I am pushing her start date back a week so we start the same week (3 days before) the local district.

California is only letting schools open up again if they are not in a hot zone county. They have a ton of restrictions and policies in place that I don't expect the schools to be open for very long if they follow them.

Just sitting here thinking..
I wish it was bed time.

And I remembered the date of July 22nd.
Does it seem like it was 1 year ago that I had my first knee, the left one replaced.
Wow, time flys.

That , and then the right one. , the other one 4 months later, was the best thing I've done in years.
They are great.

Jim

Last edited:
Glad your knee surgeries were worth it, Phideaux.
Still waiting for the only person on duty at the Marriot Hotel to clean a room so I can move our stuff. Hmm. I would like to take a shower tonight and maybe watch a little tv. Although I could skip the tv. But hoping we have one that works in the new room. Haven't watched tv since we moved, because we don't have one at the farm to watch. Checked on the kids. Grandson, little granddaughter are reading and visiting with Mattie the babysitter in the family room. Granddaughter is upstairs listening to music in her room. Mattie made them homemade mac and cheese with cut up hotdogs in it. So they are happy.

OK, so lone desk clerk knocking on our door. Asking why I didn't answer the phone because we needed to pick up our keys to the new room. Well, the phone doesn't work, as well as the tv.
So we moved. Took two loads, and when I went back for the second load, the key didn't work. So back to the desk again. Just in time to hear a guy complaining that he had a reservation, and no he wouldn't take a room without a working tv. Ha.

A Marriot residence inn this bad??? I used to stay in those weeks and months at a time, thought they were great. I even stayed in one in Denver once... but that was 25 years ago.

Sorry you're having so much trouble... a crappy hotel can mess up all your plans. Happened to me a few times.

The weirdest experience we had was about 8 or 9 yrs ago. We had a small 2 bedroom house in Kansas, and family was coming in from all over to celebrate mom's 80th birthday party. She wanted it at her hometown in Yoder. So we flew her in from California for it. My sisters were staying at a hotel a few blocks from our house in Hutchinson. We had dinner at our house, and visited till after midnight. Sisters and their husbands and the rest left to go to their hotel, and a few minutes later my cell phone rings, and my sis is screaming her head off. There was a man hanging from the second floor window, right where she was parking. We zoomed down there, and my husband went in to get the clerk. Poor clerk looked maybe 18, and she was scared to death. Called the police, and the fire dept had to use a ladder and cut him down. He had bolted the door from the inside, and it took awhile to get it open. A single man from out of town. Very shocking. Now, everytime we pass there, we call it the hanging man hotel. It's a Best Western. The rooms here at this Marriot are really nice, and the large suites are great. That's what we ordered. And we had Marriot points, so doesn't cost us anything. There's a really good cuban food place right outside the main doors, and we've stayed here a number of times. And the service here is always, always terrible. Never ask for anything. They are not doing dining room breakfast, and I didn't see any lemon water in the lobby. They are doing "grab and go" breakfast. Covid. Sheesh.

Strawberry has been walked in the rain twice.
She's curled up on love seat asleep.
I'm taking a small break from cleaning stuff out.
Avoided company who doesn't know when to go home yesterday. WHEW!
They go all over without a care in the world.
Not here you don't.
I had company, when she asked who, we got disconnected.
Twice before she finally got the hint I wasn't going to answer.
Packed one coffee pot up, don't worry I have one out still.
Got most of the pots and pans packed up.
Cleaning out the refrig today, trash man comes tomorrow.
And it needed cleaning and scrubbed down anyway.(monthly chore which I dislike).
Sitting here reading forums, crocheting for a bit.
I know Jim love them new knees.
It was 2 years on the left 5 July 2020.
And 6 months on the right.

Yesterday evening, I had to spray a wasp nest by front door and stick a Dr. Pepper bottle of gas in a ground hornets nest. Summer!

Did video this morning and went to local store for wasp spray and chicken for dogs. Cooked chicken and will cut up for treats in a bit. Made applesauce in slow cooker from apples that were gifted to me.

We are getting rain most of the day today and probably tomorrow, so not sure what else I'll do. Need to cut okra at some point- that's every other day. And pick figs every day.

Latest posts

Back