What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 more palettes of concrete were delivered today and I covered it with plastic sheeting to protect it from the rain that was today's theme. Even if it had not rained my brother had to take a raincheck. A fellow member of the local volunteer fire department had chosen to depart this world last night and his family does not have the means to cover the cremation so my brother stepped forward to cover the final expenses and deal with details.

That left me to entertain myself. I had spotted the house at the end of my street had piles of garbage bags and other household items so I decided to take a closer look and took a walk. I have lived here for about 35 years and only saw the guy that lived there more than twice.

I struck up a conversation and learned that that the son had grown-up there but left the nest before I had joined the neighborhood. I'm going to follow up and see if I can play the "neb-shi#" and see if I can tour the place and do some predumpster-diving or offer them a bit if I find anything useful. Judging from I saw in the yard there may have been some hoarding going on.

Sea Story Time!

Years ago I spotted a pair of fans on the curb in front of a house. So knocked on the door and asked permission to salvage the fans. The elderly gentleman said yes then asked if I wanted a stove. Turns out his niece had just bought him a new stove but he was going into a nursing home. I offered him $50 and after approval by his niece I brought home an almost new stove for The Princess.

Back to today...

I finished of my walk with a quick check of the garden. I noticed this guy...

20201020_135246.jpg

Who is an important part of my pest control program in my garden . I am guessing it is a"he" because I had witnessed a pair of praying mantis doing their thing. The larger (the female) was all green and appeared to be hypnotized by the dance of the smaller one with brown wings like the one in the image above. Every few minutes he would move a little closer to her. I did not stick around to the end (which ends with the female biting his head off). I do find 3-5 egg cases every winter.

Ben, you do have a tendency to digress!

I gathered a bowl of blackberries and raspberries for The Princess before I returned to the shop and finish off the copper harvest from the pile of old fans.

I ended up this collection of hardware.

20201020_184654.jpg

Shafts bearing switches and bushings that will be merged into my stores that my father used to call a hardware store (that he would shop before getting in the car :peace: ).

Nuff for now.

Behave!

Ben

Years ago when the name meant something I bought a matching pair, Kenmore heavy duty washer and dryer. Top of the line so I had about $800 in them. A few months later I was promoted and transferred to the west coast where I could only afford a tiny apt with a stackable washer and dryer.

I moved most of my 3-bedroom house to storage in alabama. A year or so later I was informed a younger cousin (who I thought a lot of) was getting married. They needed everything for a house. I told my mom to sell them the washer/dryer for $200.

Time went by then during a phone call she mentioned she’d sold the washer/dryer. I asked “did my cousin like them?” She said "they had already gotten a washer/dryer". Me – “Who did you sell them to?”

She – “a lady I met at the beauty parlor”. Me – “How much did you get?” She – “$200 like you said”!
gaah

Dingy, and I’m not talking about a boat…

Last edited:
The hospital released me today , in the care of myself.

Felt much better when I got home , after a 2 hour nap.

I've got an appointment with a Electrophysiologist on Thursday morning , that comes once a month from Nashville , Vanderbilt.
He may want to do an oblation.

Whatever it takes. Getting hit with a bazillion volts ain't fun.

Thanks to everybody for the prayers and concern.

Jim

I've got an appointment with a Electrophysiologist on Thursday morning , that comes once a month from Nashville , Vanderbilt.

Jim
Glad you are home, and hopefully, you'll feel much better soon.

Jim
That’s the last procedure my dad had and so far is doing great 🙏.
@Grimm last bucket- oatmeal 😁
I have a very important question for y’all. When did they chop the Brach’s caramels in half? I haven’t bought any for about a decade but thought they might be a nice autumn treat. I went to put a couple in my lunch today and noticed how eensy tiny they now are. Was there a public notice I missed? ☹️ They are supposed to be big enough to choke you if you put the whole thing in your mouth.

That’s the last procedure my dad had and so far is doing great 🙏.
@Grimm last bucket- oatmeal 😁
I have a very important question for y’all. When did they chop the Brach’s caramels in half? I haven’t bought any for about a decade but thought they might be a nice autumn treat. I went to put a couple in my lunch today and noticed how eensy tiny they now are. Was there a public notice I missed? ☹ They are supposed to be big enough to choke you if you put the whole thing in your mouth.
I think a couple of years ago.
Seems sugar increased substationally.

Jim

Energizer Bunny Jim . :rolleyes: Ya taken a licken and kept on ticken . Glad your feeling better and hope 2021 is gonna be a better year for us all. 🙏's for us all.

Twins did their first day of online school today. They go in for school 2 days a week, so they go in tomorrow. Little one goes in every day, but just the 4th graders in her class now, and not the third graders. So there are eight in her class. Went in for her parent teacher conference today, and she's doing well. Did another extra stockup at Krogers in town today. Actually found salt free vegetable and chicken broth (for husband). I did make my own dehydrated veg powder for broth, so that's my fall back. Alot of the Amish community are sick right now with covid. The thing is, they won't get tested, and they don't stay home, either. My favorite cousin's daughter in law, who was a complete denier, just posted on facebook of all places, a story of how she and her husband are horribly sick, and all the people that went to her mamas funeral in Indiana are sick. Her sis has just been annointed by the minister, so that's not good. Her dad is showing symptoms today. They are all drinking colloidal silver water and using essential oils. She has two aunts in the hospital in bad shape. She's sorry she denied it. It's all very sad.

Stacked about two cords of wood. It all has to be moved from my driveway, to the woodshed, which is about 50 feet horizontally and 15 feet down vertically. Normal method is to throw it halfway into a pile, and then again into the mouth of the shed. A big cold front is about to bring winter for real here so I'm trying to get it all done before it snows on everything.

My friend in the hospital isn't doing too well. Doctors said it's time to call in the family, he isn't expected to make it. It's been a twenty year plus fight for him and he's looking forward to his eternity home.

Since his wife been with him at the hospital she hasn't been able to rake the leaves or mow their yard. I'll be doing that for them this afternoon when it warms up.

Husband is determined to find a mexican breakfast place today for takeout. I see photos of places in the bigger town popping up of places he's searching, and some look like old gas stations. But, he says, they have 4 stars.
So there's that. Needing to pick up mom for the day for her entertainment. She gets itchy to see people about once every 10 days or so. She wants to go to the Mennonite thrift store before they close down, they are closing down because of the Trump sign on the roof. I know she wants to see the Trump sign, and find out what all the hoopla is about around here. She has California in her blood, and really hates Trump. She says he's been married too much, says the lady who has been married three times. Kids all had school today, and left on the bus, so it's pretty quiet here.

We listen to radio to fall asleep atnight and Ben Shapro was really witty last night, we both laughed so hard at his take on the news man and his 'accidenatl performance ' on Zoom. What made it so funny too was Ben wasn't trying to be funny.
Anyway a good show.
Today I hope to mop and ,dust,cleanwhile Mr.Meer trys to figure out why van is racing.He hates the van and I dont blame him it is so hard to work on. So he hits it a little here and a little there. I hate his truck,its too little like riding down the road in a go cart to me. I never liked little trucks or cars. Bless his heart if life was fair he'd have a huge F 350 Crew Cab.

Last edited:
Two dogs to take to dog parks today. I'll continue setting up indoor grow system. Have been working on digging up more of the big flower bed out front that had not been dug up for maybe 29 years. Needs creeping bell flower dug out (deep roots), soil amended, daffodils replanted, a few more bulbs that I have to be planted and sedum replanted on the top. Getting cold and snowy so harvesting much in the garden.

Two dogs to take to dog parks today. I'll continue setting up indoor grow system. Have been working on digging up more of the big flower bed out front that had not been dug up for maybe 29 years. Needs creeping bell flower dug out (deep roots), soil amended, daffodils replanted, a few more bulbs that I have to be planted and sedum replanted on the top. Getting cold and snowy so harvesting much in the garden.

Indoor grow system? WeedyI hope you pit up some pictures.

Energizer Bunny Jim . :rolleyes: Ya taken a licken and kept on ticken . Glad your feeling better and hope 2021 is gonna be a better year for us all. 🙏's for us all.

Today is a rest day , tomorrow it all starts again. Appointment at 9:30am tomorrow .

Just really feel weak today, I guess that procedure yesterday morning really ZAPPED me.

Gotta go pickup my groceries , waiting for phone call to schedule wife's next surgery.
Gotta be her last one , as all vertebrae will then be repaired.

Maybe we will get back to a normal life soon.

Y'all have a great day.

Jim

Hey Jim, I hope you can get all of you and your wife's medical issues under control before winter sets in...

My 3 primary raised beds have all been winterized; the spinach, lettuce, and green onions I planted in them are all up. I will need to thin the lettuce so I started cleaning baskets for my indoor growing station. That way I can thin the raised beds and have plants to start in my hydroponic trays. I have a lot of Styrofoam from medical shipments, so I am going to try making a floating system to reduce maintenance this winter.

Went into work in the big city yesterday, getting a new computer and remote acess, at the end of the day I was completely locked out.... Spent the morning calling tech support.... Hold Please.... We'll have it fixed in a couple of hours.....

Today is a rest day , tomorrow it all starts again. Appointment at 9:30am tomorrow .

Just really feel weak today, I guess that procedure yesterday morning really ZAPPED me.

Gotta go pickup my groceries , waiting for phone call to schedule wife's next surgery.

Y'all have a great day.

Jim

I sure hope so Jim yall have sure had more than your share of hard times this year.
Hope you feel better soon and don't do too much.

This is what I am modeling my system after. Any of us should be able to do this. I'm going to start with one shelf, and take it from there.

That looks a lot like my set-up except I have seedling starting heat mats and my lights are on chains so that I can adjust the height.

As for today...

We moved 6720 lbs of concrete into the basement. My sister requested I do an update video and that can be found here.

Ben

Y'all have a great day.

Jim

Hope today was better for you and wife. It is not surprising that you were zapped after all you went through. Praying for y'all and hope that the wife will be done after the last surgery and future is better for both of you. 🙏's

@LadyLocust Thank you for the advice! Oatmeal it is! I knew if I mentioned not knowing what to store someone would help me out.

Went to a small family farm for the girls' field trip this morning. It is open to the public but it was nice being part of a gathering that didn't force us to wear masks. The girls loved it and now they want to grow pumpkins. We brought home some more pumpkins to carve next week. Well, anything to support a small Christian business. :)

Stopped at Target on the way home for some more dry goods. Grabbed oatmeal ( ;P LadyLocust) and some canned goods this time as well as bottled water. I hate shopping far from home but when the prices are good and I am in the area for other reasons it is worth a stop.

From Feb thru June Mom was in a Nursing home. The same one Dad had been in, but it had been sold just after Dad died. Mostly same nurses, etc.
End of June I moved Mom to an Assisted Living place near to home. More privacy, less noise, still some overseeing and help as needed. She's happy there. Today I learn that the Nursing home has had 52 Covid cases and 17 of them died. Thank goodness I moved her.
https://www.waaytv.com/content/news...wURPr_HXWbKJqAYvUXVrXFwCmBGwk9sw9t0H0x8tIjhFc

Latest posts

Back