What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@LadyLocust Thank you for the advice! Oatmeal it is! I knew if I mentioned not knowing what to store someone would help me out.

Went to a small family farm for the girls' field trip this morning. It is open to the public but it was nice being part of a gathering that didn't force us to wear masks. The girls loved it and now they want to grow pumpkins. We brought home some more pumpkins to carve next week. Well, anything to support a small Christian business. :)

Stopped at Target on the way home for some more dry goods. Grabbed oatmeal ( ;P LadyLocust) and some canned goods this time as well as bottled water. I hate shopping far from home but when the prices are good and I am in the area for other reasons it is worth a stop.
I've also been trying to get winter squashes we will eat. We like spaghetti squash - I cook and dehydrate it then it cooks up like pasta. Also, delicatas are good sliced thin and fried in coconut oil like French fries :) We only have one spot these keep well though and it doesn't accommodate a lot. I got two other kinds to try but haven't yet. If we like them, I will save the seeds.

From Feb thru June Mom was in a Nursing home. The same one Dad had been in, but it had been sold just after Dad died. Mostly same nurses, etc.
End of June I moved Mom to an Assisted Living place near to home. More privacy, less noise, still some overseeing and help as needed. She's happy there. Today I learn that the Nursing home has had 52 Covid cases and 17 of them died. Thank goodness I moved her.
https://www.waaytv.com/content/news...wURPr_HXWbKJqAYvUXVrXFwCmBGwk9sw9t0H0x8tIjhFc
I know a woman who works in a nursing home and she talked about how many people, patients were infected. While a serious lockdown has an affect on the patients in a home, it is essential. I know I've said it here before, but my hometown did a serious lockdown. No visitors in and out, and all employees get their temperatures taken each day before they work. The result: No infected patients. Someone did a fund raiser for I-pads so patients could see people as they talked with them. Nothing is ideal, but doing little or nothing is inexcusable.

I know a woman who works in a nursing home and she talked about how many people, patients were infected. While a serious lockdown has an affect on the patients in a home, it is essential. I know I've said it here before, but my hometown did a serious lockdown. No visitors in and out, and all employees get their temperatures taken each day before they work. The result: No infected patients. Someone did a fund raiser for I-pads so patients could see people as they talked with them. Nothing is ideal, but doing little or nothing is inexcusable.
They are still in lockdown here but no Ipads and they don’t even get a phone to them if they can’t get it themselves. You just have to try to holler through the window which doesn’t work 🙁

I have been told recently that I am boring.
Because I post normal everyday things.
But what the person whom told me that I am boring doesn't know is:
1. While I crochet for my grand children.
I also crochet at 3-4 blankets for Veterans in nursing homes, hospitals monthly.
Last year I donated 15 blankets to Veterans in 3 nursing homes, 2 hospitals.
My group that works with me on some projects helped with the others total 45.
That's for the 3 nursing homes times 3, 2 hospitals times 3.
All on my money usually.
Sometimes I get yarn or crochet thread donated, but not usually.
2. While I sit around embroidery quilt blocks for the grand children.
And not just my grand children.
I use some of those embroidered blocks as birth announcements for people whose babies were still born.
Been known to purchase wedding gowns from thrift store,.
Or buy satin and donate it to the ladies whom make the Angel's outfits for babies who were still born, or gravely ill.
Also on my dime.
I also crochet, sew,quilt for mission work for someone's else church.
Not my church, but some one else.
Been known to drop of a box of food for a Veteran whose having a hard time right now.
So while I'm boring to some.
I would like to think I have helped out people in my community and in surrounding communities.
So yeah!
I guess I am boring to some.
Rant over.

I wouldn't worry about it, Mo. The majority of my day is also serving my immediate family, preparing for what's coming, and managing our household. That's my job, and while it's very mundane to most, it's important to me to do it, and do it well. I take it very seriously. I know many women who would rather roll over and die than cook three meals a day for their family, wait on their husband, and raise children (or grandchildren). And plan and prepare for the upcoming unknown. But these are important things in my life that I do, and I know that some of these things are important in your life, too. I really could care less if anyone thought I was boring. Don't let it bother you.

I wouldn't worry about it, Mo. The majority of my day is also serving my immediate family, preparing for what's coming, and managing our household. That's my job, and while it's very mundane to most, it's important to me to do it, and do it well. I take it very seriously. I know many women who would rather roll over and die than cook three meals a day for their family, wait on their husband, and raise children (or grandchildren). And plan and prepare for the upcoming unknown. But these are important things in my life that I do, and I know that some of these things are important in your life, too. I really could care less if anyone thought I was boring. Don't let it bother you.
Thank you for the encourgement.

I have been told recently that I am boring.
Because I post normal everyday things.
But what the person whom told me that I am boring doesn't know is:
1. While I crochet for my grand children.
I also crochet at 3-4 blankets for Veterans in nursing homes, hospitals monthly.
Last year I donated 15 blankets to Veterans in 3 nursing homes, 2 hospitals.
My group that works with me on some projects helped with the others total 45.
That's for the 3 nursing homes times 3, 2 hospitals times 3.
All on my money usually.
Sometimes I get yarn or crochet thread donated, but not usually.
2. While I sit around embroidery quilt blocks for the grand children.
And not just my grand children.
I use some of those embroidered blocks as birth announcements for people whose babies were still born.
Been known to purchase wedding gowns from thrift store,.
Or buy satin and donate it to the ladies whom make the Angel's outfits for babies who were still born, or gravely ill.
Also on my dime.
I also crochet, sew,quilt for mission work for someone's else church.
Not my church, but some one else.
Been known to drop of a box of food for a Veteran whose having a hard time right now.
So while I'm boring to some.
I would like to think I have helped out people in my community and in surrounding communities.
So yeah!
I guess I am boring to some.
Rant over.
Did someone send you a private message to tell you this, because you are not entertaining enough for them? I could hurt their feelings, and maybe get myself banned about stuff like this. This is bullying. I feel my blood pressure going up!

I hope you sent them a nastygram in return!

In situations like this, if someone's posts are not entertaining enough, you can scroll on by. Mo is not here for your entertainment. No one is here to entertain you. If it is boring, maybe this isn't the place for you.

Did someone send you a private message to tell you this, because you are not entertaining enough for them? I could hurt their feelings, and maybe get myself banned about stuff like this. This is bullying. I feel my blood pressure going up!

In situations like this, if someone's posts are not entertaining enough, you can scroll on by. Mo is not here for your entertainment. No one is here to entertain you. If it is boring, maybe this isn't the place for you.
It's okay Weedygarden,
I can shut them down in a New York minute if I have too.
I have already took care of part of it.
As for the other part it will be taken care sooner or later.
No reason to get yourself banned for my post.
I was just venting.
Sometimes people hit me wrong, and this was one of those times unfortunately.
And I guess I hit some people wrong too.
But never intentionally.
If I did it intentionally there would be "NO DOUBT" in anybody's mind.
But thank you for the support and encourgement.

It's okay Weedygarden,
I can shut them down in a New York minute if I have too.
I have already took care of part of it.
As for the other part it will be taken care sooner or later.
No reason to get yourself banned for my post.
I was just venting.
Sometimes people hit me wrong, and this was one of those times unfortunately.
And I guess I hit some people wrong too.
But never intentionally.
If I did it intentionally there would be "NO DOUBT" in anybody's mind.
But thank you for the support and encouragement.
No one needs to be acting like this or treating you or anyone this way. There is a member here who was not kind to a couple of us in the old place and got them self banned because of it. That person is here, and knows it all.
Not everyone is our friend, but no one needs to be a bully either. Venting is good, and putting it out here for the bully to see it is also good.
I grew up in a family of bullies and I was always the scape goat. My older brother has always been the golden child. I was born and dethroned him. I stayed far away from him at a young age and for much of my life. I can only imagine what I don't even remember that was done to me by him. Just what I remember is more than enough.

Normal day for me today.
Strawberry was walked several times throughout the day.
They were brisk walks today, chilly most of the day.
While she was being walked at 0600 hours, I loaded the car to go to laundry mat.
Washed, dried, hung up, folded,put away 2 loads of clothes.
Deep cleaned the bathroom including steam mopping the tile walls, floors.
Scrubbed the sink, grand daughter's potty.
Hung up fresh towels, cleaned the mirrors all while having charlie horse in new right knee and ankle.
Stopped by Wal*Mart while out doing laundry.
Brought home few supplies, I had run out of completely or pretty darn close.
Picked up few cases of canning jars, lids, rings, flats.
Walked 1.16 miles today.
Exercised.
Fixed lunch of leftovers.
Did dishes.
Fixed supper.
Fixed coffee pot up for morning.
Had the oldest grand daughter for a few hours today too.
We watched her favorite movie again.
Both versions of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas".
Got to see new picture of baby Reign.
They still can't get her crazy hair to lay down.
She's 10 weeks today.
Christmas ought to be interesting she'll be right at 4-5 months.
Getting tired now.
Strawberry is snoring on her blanket, pillow in her chair.

No one needs to be acting like this or treating you or anyone this way. There is a member here who was not kind to a couple of us in the old place and got them self banned because of it. That person is here, and knows it all.
Not everyone is our friend, but no one needs to be a bully either. Venting is good, and putting it out here for the bully to see it is also good.
I grew up in a family of bullies and I was always the scape goat. My older brother has always been the golden child. I was born and dethroned him. I stayed far away from him at a young age and for much of my life. I can only imagine what I don't even remember that was done to me by him. Just what I remember is more than enough.
This person was at one of the several old sites I was or am member.
But this person didn't know me then.
And they don't know me now either.
This person is a know it all too.
Or thinks they are.
I corrected them on occasion.
They didn't take it well.
Hence why I go back and reread all the forums.
Well that and I'm nosy.
And I like learning things, hence why I ask questions.

Last edited:
Mo, you're awesome. I'm sure your "boring" lifestyle and activities runs circles around me! I find it interesting to read daily schedules from y'all. Right now I can't sleep. Supposed to get up in 5 hours, head off to work after that. Be there a few hours, come home, eat, relax for a few minutes not hours, study as long as I can, hopefully get out to the stores for a few things in camping dept. Come home and study more.
I voted Wednesday. 🇺🇲

This is what I am modeling my system after. Any of us should be able to do this. I'm going to start with one shelf, and take it from there.

A few years ago I started using a system similar to @Neb 's to start plants. Wire shelving unit with lots of tube lights.

DSCF1932.JPG

But Last year I added LED grow lights, and made a series of hydroponic tubs using a basic WATER CULTURE approach with cheep tubs (had to paint the outsides to keep down alge) with holes drilled in the lids to hold the baskets, an air pump with bubble stones. The only problem was controlling the water levels.
1603361044050.jpeg

This year I am going to try a floating system, replacing the lids with floating suports for the baskets, this way I hope the baskets are always in contact with the liguid.

I will try to remember to take a couple of pictures along the way.

Walked a few minutes ago, now to feed pups.

Going to simmer some apples on the stove with cinnamon, since I have no oven still and can't dehydrate them.
Later, I am going to do an inventory of both pantries. Well, maybe one today and one tomorrow.

I'm boring, too and I love it!

Lots of times people who hurt others are hurting themselves so I'll strike back then feel bad and soon apologize, or I'll be the one being mean and then feel really bad .We never know whats going on in someones life.
Another song just came to mind,lol. 'I get knocked down,but I get up again' with the vute little penquins.

A few years ago I started using a system similar to @Neb 's to start plants. Wire shelving unit with lots of tube lights.

View attachment 52192

But Last year I added LED grow lights, and made a series of hydroponic tubs using a basic WATER CULTURE approach with cheep tubs (had to paint the outsides to keep down alge) with holes drilled in the lids to hold the baskets, an air pump with bubble stones. The only problem was controlling the water levels.
View attachment 52193
This year I am going to try a floating system, replacing the lids with floating suports for the baskets, this way I hope the baskets are always in contact with the liguid.

I will try to remember to take a couple of pictures along the way.
Your shelving and lighting is similar to what I am aiming for. I have not figured out hydroponics, but will start with what I've already got. I'm going to be busy for a few days, so I know I am not going to get this up today or tomorrow. One step at a time.

We are going to get very cold here as well, and I still have things to harvest in the garden and some bulbs to plant. I'll be gone for a couple days over the weekend, so I have to get some things done today.

Took off today to work around the house and yard. Checked the winter beds and see that I had some parsley come up, I think I will transplant some of it into a pot next to my hydroponics in the house. It has big roots so I don't think it will do well in hydroponics... Most of my lettuce in the raised beds is romaine loose leaf type, so I am starting a few buttercrunch in small containers on my desk, once they get started I will transplant them into a growing station. I mixed up a few gallons of growing solution (mix of water soluble general and tomato ferterlizer) and hope to get the first 3 tubs going before the end of the weekend...

Took off today to work around the house and yard. Checked the winter beds and see that I had some parsley come up, I think I will transplant some of it into a pot next to my hydroponics in the house. It has big roots so I don't think it will do well in hydroponics... Most of my lettuce in the raised beds is romaine loose leaf type, so I am starting a few buttercrunch in small containers on my desk, once they get started I will transplant them into a growing station. I mixed up a few gallons of growing solution (mix of water soluble general and tomato ferterlizer) and hope to get the first 3 tubs going before the end of the weekend...

Urban what fertilizer do you use in your hydroponics? its going on 2 years since we set ours up,took a break then shtf with my health,so not sure we can still order but I need to check soon.
Don't know what I will do roday maybe some of what I didin't do yesterrday. I'm so burnt out on this place need to get away and revive myself . Hubby is still going strng with burns all over his arms and pain from leaning over van so he is taking a another break .

They reprogramed my defib/pacemaker to kick into pace mode at 150 and that should stop the tachycardia.
But, I need to have my pacemaker updated with another lead to be able to pace left and right ventricle separately.

Watch for 3 months then revisit.
Eventually I'll need oblation.

Jim

Hope they can fix it and you and your wife back to being ok.🙏

Milk house room #1 now officially painted. Ready to move in all the water storage barrels and get them filled up. Then the generators. Then pick up little granddaughter from school. Maybe stop in to the Amish grocery across the street from the school for vanilla ice cream. I think it'll be root beer float night, after dinner of course.

Urban what fertilizer do you use in your hydroponics? its going on 2 years since we set ours up,took a break then shtf with my health,so not sure we can still order but I need to check soon.
Don't know what I will do roday maybe some of what I didin't do yesterrday. I'm so burnt out on this place need to get away and revive myself . Hubby is still going strng with burns all over his arms and pain from leaning over van so he is taking a another break .

This is only my second year of DIY hydroponics and I am using what I was able to get at HD, a 50/50 mix of Miracle-grow All Purpose and Vegetables & Herbs or Tomato plant food. I use 3 tablespoons of each disolved in 5 gallons of water, then I fill my containers from that...
1603394238693.png+1603394296526.png or 1603394388747.png

I am sure there are better formulas out there, I was just trying to match some of the chemistries I was reading about, with what I could easily find.

I will top-off with the same mixture between the first and second crop, then after the second harvest I dump the remaining liquid in one of my raised beds or the flower bed out front, anyway any remaining value is absorbed by other growing spaces...

I wash all of my containers with dish soap and hot water and have them sitting in que for the next available space (I was able to get my containers with lids for under a dollar each, and each container can grow 2 large plants). I am using 2 and 3 inch baskets. I am just using seed starter soil in them, I line each basket with a single layer of TP so the soil stays in the basket but the roots can grow down into the water easily. I gather up the soil as I harvest plants and move it to the garden when I have enough of it.

My wife gets medicines twice a week, it is packed in a box lined with 1 inch thick sheets of styrofoam, so I am cutting those sheets into floats to support my 2 inch baskets. I am hoping it will reduce the maintenance a lot... Just start them, harvest and repeat... That would be soo much easier than checking the water levels and trying to add water without over filling or making a mess....

Anyway, this is my experiment for this winter... I have to have something to tinker with or I am just not a happy camper. ;)

Latest posts

Back