What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand. Isn't that some kind of a prayer or religious offering or something?
Are you referring to the oblation? If so, they go up through the groin/leg into the heart and seer the nerve endings that are "acting up."

I like those, too, but I can't eat them before bedtime.
Oh, and hey! Halloween is coming up! It's not celebrated here, and it's on a weekend, so I told grandkids I'll have a surprise for them. Thought I'd sneak up on them and throw candy at them. And hide it all over in one of the big barns. Right before dark. I bought a big bag of candy bars that I like.
If you had a little time, you could do a treasure hunt. Each kiddo's clues a specific color ink or colored notecards so if they run across a different color clue they know it's not theirs. Have a couple pieces of candy attached to each clue and a "special" candy at the end (and maybe a little love note.) It's fun to watch them run all over and taunt each other if they run across one of the other kids' clues. It takes a little doing but is generally fun for all.

Not sure where my day went. Neighbor came by for a rooster. Cleaned house. Spent a few hrs outside this afternoon with the grandkids, clearing an area of deadfall around the old Amish phone shack. Eight wheelbarrow full of kindling, and some logs. It's a beautiful area where the phone shack was put, hidden by some old trees with low lying climbing branches. Round one for that area, hopefully round two in the next few days. A bunch of junk went to the burn pile. Spent time in the greenhouse. Getting wheat grass growing in large pans for the chickens. Thinned the radishes. Cut the green onions for the dehydrator, did those and some sweet potatoes in the dehydrator. Went in to the feed store and stocked up. Dropped granddaughter off to work. Time to relax.

I just got off the phone and realized something. I'm tired of folks telling me to "be safe." What if I want to be reckless for a change?
1603493242985.png

I just got off the phone and realized something. I'm tired of folks telling me to "be safe." What if I want to be reckless for a change?
View attachment 52283

I just told my friend the same thing this morning! I want to be challenged and I want to be brave. I want to do what I'm afraid of. That's how I've lived my life this far. Our country wasn't founded on being safe. Not going to live the rest of my life being safe.
Off the soap box for now.

Today went well enough, I started 4 small containers with herbs, I got 3 hydroponic containers started with lettuce and spinach transplanted from the garden, I also started some butter-crunch lettuce seeds - I am comparing 2 brands to see how they do. I was really happy as I looked over the one shelf in my growing station, each shelf can hold 9 hydroponic containers and 4 small herb pots. The growing station has 2 shelves with lights and air, so, if I am wise with my timing I can plant 3 containers each week, and then in 6 weeks I should be able to start harvesting. After talking with the wife I ordered some chives and tried to get a few other container plants for the winter, I was a little late as a lot of stuff was out of stock....

I spent the afternoon cleaning up construction debris and old wood to take to the dump, during the process I managed to take a fall on the concrete, bruised my right arm, shoulder, and side... Knew it was going to get real sore and stiff as soon as I stopped moving so I finished going to the dump before stopping to treat it.. By the time I got home my right arm was useless (throbbing and really painful to move). So I took some ibuprofen and a shower, and then sat very still in my recliner….

Really bummed, was planning to go out hunting tomorrow, just can’t see carrying a pack like this, so I made the call to pass.

We had gotten our new calibration truck at work, Ford F-450 with a 18' box on the back. Drove it over to a conversion company, along with our old truck, to show and look at what we need done with the new truck and how it was done in the old one. Been many years since I've drove a truck that size. Nervous for a few miles, but kinds enjoyed it after I got going. Got home tonight and started going thru both our freezers, 1 15 cf chest, 1 upright about the same size. pull out as everything from the upright and have it open and defrosting overnight. Pulled a lot of old fruits and veggies from the chest as well. Found stuff as old as 2009. Some old sausage and just a little other meat that is bad. Tomorrow finish cleaning out the upright and do a couple other cleaning jobs in it area and get it back in place. The move all the remaining food, sorted into the upright and defrost the chest.
Good time to start buying some more meat next week.

I went to Costco today, first time with my own card, and I hope I can feel like it is worth it. Seems like just a trade off of getting more stuff for only a slighter lower rate in bulk, than from the grocery store. I guess there is a trick to it. I found it mentally exhausting, it was busy and crowded. Go Covid! Masks still have to be worn in most stores that I know of.
Listening to Santana.
@Bacpacker it seemed like I saw more pick up trucks today than I have ever seen in my life! It's Texas and trucks are everywhere. Friday, so things were busy on the roads. Good you're clearing out your freezer too. I wish I had some venison to thaw out and turn into jerky. lol
@UrbanHunter it sounds you like you have a great set-up going for indoor gardening.

The buttercrunch lettuce I planted in one of the two small containers on thursday is showing signs of sprouting, 3 days, not bad. The other one had older seeds (2016) will see how it does. I ran a few small errands this morning, groceries (I forgot the celery) and HD for a couple of screws and a few 2X4s to finish up my exercise area... My right side still hurts like.... well I still make funning noises when I move... I would just lay around, but there is just too much stuff I need to get done. I am hoping it is all better by next weekend..

I went to Costco today, first time with my own card, and I hope I can feel like it is worth it. Seems like just a trade off of getting more stuff for only a slighter lower rate in bulk, than from the grocery store. I guess there is a trick to it. I found it mentally exhausting, it was busy and crowded. Go Covid! Masks still have to be worn in most stores that I know of.
Listening to Santana.
@Bacpacker it seemed like I saw more pick up trucks today than I have ever seen in my life! It's Texas and trucks are everywhere. Friday, so things were busy on the roads. Good you're clearing out your freezer too. I wish I had some venison to thaw out and turn into jerky. lol
@UrbanHunter it sounds you like you have a great set-up going for indoor gardening.

Check-out their online service, it's a little more expensive but there is no shipping charge on orders over $75. I have been buying TP, paper towels, and nuts (unsalted mixed nuts for the wife's snacking and nuts for holiday baking) that way. They limit you to 1 TP per order so I order TP, mixed nuts, and just enough other stuff to get above $75, wait till it arrives and then do it again.... I'm all stocked up now so, I figure it's ok to tell, what are friends for? ;)

Maybe others are a quicker study than me (Ha most probable🥴) but I figured something out yesterday. From a prepping standpoint, something to be cognizant of. Yesterday I purchased some underclothes when I stopped at the store on my way to work (a rare occurrence but figured I’d try to have extra rather than not enough). When I get to work, I go through my sites: email, here, and 2 others then move on. On this site, the ad in the sidebar was for the items I had just purchased using my credit card. That’s quick! I only pay cash for ammo, but am thinking I want to be very careful about the things I use the cc for. That’s a bummer because I like getting the extra 1-2% off my purchases, but I sure don’t want them tracking what I have.

We worked more concrete yesterday.

20201023_151922_HDR.jpg

Will do more today.

We took a walk to the pond since it maybe the last day in the 70's.

20201023_175854.jpg

Then we closed out the evening watching the debate. We got so carried away that we to skip the onion rings.

20201023_221855.jpg

I invented the term "Princinerate" for theses types of occasions.

Ben

Yikes. Fire from a stove is not a good thing.
Covid rates are going up in my area & since my whole family is at risk, I'm staying home unless necessary. I will have to hit the store & buy ice & prepare for the next storm. Yet another tropical storm is brewing & they predict it may become a hurricane and hit us sometime on Wednesday- if it follows the predicted path.
To paraphrase Samuel L Jackson "I'm tired of these motherf***in' storms on this motherf***in' plain!" I'm hoping that if I get enough ice in the freezer it will keep my stuff from defrosting before we can get power working. Will need to talk to my friend about possibly getting stuff fixed for the generator.
I stayed home today & did some light cleaning. I'm waiting for Mom to get up so I can get her something to eat.

Today went pretty well, tomorrow has rain forecast so I tried to do as much outside work as possible and make things I could assemble inside tomorrow. I was able to do a little wood work. I had promised the wife I would make a couple of trays to store onions and potatoes in, I figured out how to do it, so I cut out 2 complete Kits, to be assembled tomorrow. I also cut-out a slider seat frame for my DIY rowing station. I cut-out frames for 3 small cabinets for under my bench, hopefully each will have 3 drawers and that will help me organize the MAN basement ;) ..... Then I made part of the frame for a drying rack that I can use to store my shallot harvest. By that time the sun was down and it was too dark to see the lines that I needed to cut... I can take a hint...

My arm and shoulder still hurt, but I'm too tired to care....

Canned 15 pints of kidney beans so we're in business again. Tomorrow we'll make another batch of salsa for Hubby. It's supposed to be 19* tonight. After salsa, we'll head up to the mountain and get it winterized. The snow is all around us. Had to go shopping today. We've been out of milk for 2 weeks and Hubby asked for winter socks. Got myself a pair of long-johns too.

What's creepy is ads popping up about something husband and I talked about.
It is very creepy, imho!
Even creepier is when you think about something and it pops up on ads. No talk, no researching, just thinking about it. I've had this discussion with others, and they say the same thing has happened to them. Have we reached mind reading for advertisements?

House sitting for two families, neighbors & friends. I've stayed at both houses before. I am staying at one house, with all the dogs (3) and walking over to feed the cats and give insulin shot twice a day. Dogs are great, busy and active. Two have training collars that have helped them and I am learning to use the remote control with commands: sit, come, stop, quiet, off, crate.

I had a Zoom meeting for my Colorado Czech, Slovak, Rusyn interest group. I was able to participate and the dogs laid down and slept through most of the meeting. Today's meeting was about Jan Hus, a Czech Catholic priest who predated Martin Luther in trying to get the Catholic to use the bible. He studied the bible, unlike is typically done, and wanted the church to change things. He was declared a heretic and burned at the stake. Lots of history about his followers, leaving the church, the history of the church and politics. My mother's father's family were Czech (Bohemians) and followers of Jan Hus.

It is very creepy, imho!
Even creepier is when you think about something and it pops up on ads. No talk, no researching, just thinking about it. I've had this discussion with others, and they say the same thing has happened to them. Have we reached mind reading for advertisements?

Quite likely. Stuff like that happens to me all the time, at home, on my phone, at work. Don't seem to matter.

It's always fun to find someone interesting in family background. Sorry he was burned at the stake, that sounds nasty. Everytime we see an oversized chair, we call it a "Jesus Chair". One of my relatives, Der Weiss, made a huge chair because he said Jesus was coming and he could sit in it. He wore all white, too, which is typically only worn on your deathbed. That chair is in a museum back east.
Got room number 2 of the milkhouse cleaned out and hosed down. Getting ready for painting. This room has two broken windows, though. Three and four panes of glass in each window, and the windows are original. Don't know if the broken panes can be replaced or not.
The neighbor amish guy and his father in law butchered three pigs today. They brought us 5lbs of sausage. I love their sausage. They put sage in it. They use one of our buildings that has electricity for their freezers, and loaded them up this afternoon.

Latest posts

Back