What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Kelsey96 clean car out, check. clean barn out, wait. In one day?
@txcatlady it is wet here, not raining or snowing presently. I woke up to snow, and it has been mixing ever since. I would prefer sleet and snow. One of my kids lives a little further south of me, 30 miles or so, and it is blanketed with snow there and still coming down.

I patched a wall so I can reinstall a towel bar.

After a short debate I bowed to the wisdom of The Princess and took down my Trump 2020 flag. She is concerned about op security and she has a point. A Trump flag is not consistent with laying low.

Ben

Amish_Heart, I'm glad they caught the fraudulent transaction in time. Hopefully the thief will be arrested.

Picked up a cabinet from FB Marketplace a few towns over. Nice couple from Montana that moved down here. They are renovating and paid $300 for the cabinet but it was too small so the husband is building one. They sold it for $60. It looks great in my friend's bathroom. They talked a little about the renovations and how damp the weather is here compared to Montana. The husband showed me the box he made to cover his outdoor water filter. I asked about it because of my water situation and he showed me and told me where he got the filter. We all observed it's time for a filter change. I said "That's the color my water comes out!"
Very nice people and we would have chatted longer but it was too cold. Got the cabinet back before the rain started.

Had some pizza. My friend is set up to have 5 dates in the next week now that he's single. He's happy that women are actually interested. We watched Youtube a bit while eating pizza but then headed home so I could feed Mom. We were going to hit the grocery store but it started raining ice so we decided it was best to get home.

It's now very cold so I'm buried under cats and dogs.

Grocery shopping will be done tomorrow.

After a short debate I bowed to the wisdom of The Princess and took down my Trump 2020 flag. She is concerned about op security and she has a point. A Trump flag is not consistent with laying low.

Smart girl, lol. My Daughter gave me one back in Sept and I never put it up for that reason.

I patched a wall so I can reinstall a towel bar.

Ben

I've been flying one for a year, I don't know why no one ever sees it but us. It's kind of like the Christmas lights my wife makes me put up. We live out completely by ourselves on a private dead end road and I go out every night during the season to turn on Christmas lights. I guess maybe the coons and the coyotes enjoy them.

Ordered my garden vegetable seeds and made breakfast for my hunny and I. Now I’m watching my tv show for a episode and then cleaning my car and barn out 😊
You spell hunny like Winnie the Pooh 😁. Welcome by the way.
@Duncan BP answered but I will second it. I always threw it in the compost so it was “diluted” then used it the following year.
@Neb We’ve not hung one at all for this reason. I think for every flag seen, there are/were two more houses that were in support of him.
@hashbrown you hang them for your own pleasure 😊. If Mrs HB is happy. . . though I’m sure the raccoons appreciate them too.
@txcatlady Good to see you! We had sunshine today. I think Mother Nature might be as confused as everyone else.

Strawberry has been walked.
Laundry is done completely.
Had the grand daughter today.
Won't have her tomorrow, but will Tuesday(24 hours).
Will have her until 1 pm on Wednesday.
Won't have her again till Saturday afternoon, all evening, all night.
I have her Sunday, Monday,Tuesday(24 hours).
Will have her till 1 pm on Wednesday.
Hopefully by that next Saturday, she can go visit her mommy again.
Her mommy tested positive for COVID.
She's an RN.
Oldest son and I are trying to keep Estelle's life and schedule as normal as possible.

Time to say goodnight Gracie... The leading edge of the snow/ice/rain storm has arrived at my location. The odds of my losing power are high...

Everyone stay buttoned up and warm. If comms do dark for a few days I'll hear from you folks on the other side.

Folks, I have a question about using chicken-poop in my garden. poop mixture to decay and not take a chance on burning my crops?

A lot of chicken houses in my area and a great many farmers use chicken poop on an industrial scale, tons and more tons.

The rule of thumb is that it takes 9 months to a year to break down to something usable (not considering the nitrogen). The high nitrogen content will burn crops. I've seen it burn entire hay fields (not literally with flames). The nitrogen will scorch grass and turn it brown.

So, farmers with chicken houses will store dump truck loads of the manure in unused fields. They then sell from the end of the field that has been sitting out for about a year.

Edit to clarify... A chicken farmer might know that he'll have 100 tons of poop to sell in Jan of 2022. He'll start taking orders for that poop now.

You have to get in line for poop around here. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Time to say goodnight Gracie... The leading edge of the snow/ice/rain storm has arrived at my location. The odds of my losing power are high...

Everyone stay buttoned up and warm. If comms do dark for a few days I'll hear from you folks on the other side.

A lot of chicken houses in my area and a great many farmers use chicken poop on an industrial scale, tons and more tons.

The rule of thumb is that it takes 9 months to a year to break down to something usable (not considering the nitrogen). The high nitrogen content will burn crops. I've seen it burn entire hay fields (not literally with flames). The nitrogen will scorch grass and turn it brown.

Our Amish neighbors down the road put a bunch of chicken crap on their alfalfa and hay fields and it stunk SO bad, never smelled anything so bad in my life ! but the hay turned out great ( we got some of it)
This was a few years ago, and we heard from some other people that someone called the county health department on them and complained and now they are no longer allowed to do that .

we wasted a bunch of time this morning putting the animals out in the pastures ( 2 sets of goats, 2 sets of sheep) with hay and water buckets, and then it started snowing so bad we put them all back in the barn. It was only supposed to flurry this morning...
It is still snowing
I bought our son some lift tickets for snowboarding yesterday, for tomorrow, we were not supposed to get a ton of snow today, none tomorrow. Now, he might not be able to go anywhere ( too much snow on our road) plus his truck didn't start this morning. Hopefully just a dead battery , it's charging now. So that might be a total waste of money since he might not be able to go. We need our farm truck here and I don't like him driving it. The tires on it are off road and you can only drive very slow on the interstate.
I am about to smoke some ham hocks I put in brine a week ago and do dishes. Internet is working on and off today

Later we plan on continuing our game we are playing , Talisman, it's sort of like a board game version of D&D
( I am a Prophetess , husband Assassin , son Wizard , we drew the cards of what we are at the beginning of the game) . I have the best character but not winning since I can't seem to roll a 6 if my life depended on it.

I put up the towel rod yesterday and told The Princess that if mentions that it is a little crooked I was going to give her a nasty look. She did so I did.

Had my sister over for a Musical Night but only after I was tasked with finding the DVD The Princess had misplaced. She eventually said that we should give up and we should just rent it. I found it a subtly snuck it in beside her on the couch walked away and told her to check her pockets. :peace:

We watched Kiss me Kate and my sister enjoyed it.

Today we got the last of floor joist installed...

20210111_145929.jpg

Ben did screw up the spacing of one of the joist hangers but we fixed that and my brother was not upset. Then we moved on to laying more flooring.

20210111_163613.jpg

I did get a phone call from the owner of the company I retired from last year. He is finally settling with a customer that tried to stiff him and wanted make sure I was aware they may attempt to contract with me and cut him out of the picture. Haha. As if I wanted to get on a plane and live out of hotel in the UK. It was OK work when I was working but travel, deadlines, and budgets are things I don't miss.

My brother will work without me tomorrow since I have a periodontist appointment. Bummer.

Behave

Ben

I put up the towel rod yesterday and told The Princess that if mentions that it is a little crooked I was going to give her a nasty look. She did so I did.

Had my sister over for a Musical Night but only after I was tasked with finding the DVD The Princess had misplaced. She eventually said that we should give up and we should just rent it. I found it a subtly snuck it in beside her on the couch walked away and told her to check her pockets. :peace:

View attachment 56699

Ben did screw up the spacing of one of the joist hangers but we fixed that and my brother was not upset. Then we moved on to laying more flooring.

View attachment 56700
I did get a phone call from the owner of the company I retired from last year. He is finally settling with a customer that tried to stiff him and wanted make sure I was aware they may attempt to contract with me and cut him out of the picture. Haha. As if I wanted to get on a plane and live out of hotel in the UK. It was OK work when I was working but travel, deadlines, and budgets are things I don't miss.

My brother will work without me tomorrow since I have a periodontist appointment. Bummer.

Behave

Ben

Really coming along good Ben.
Sister and Kate rings a bell, I Wish I could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate'.

Nothing much today.

Not a good day at our household.

Home care nurse ordered a in home x-ray for wife.
Y'all remember that she had every vertebrae from T8 thru L5 repaired this year.
They said that the chances of fracturing anything above that was very slim.
Well she had a sneezing spell over the weekend and now she's in excruciating pain at T7 level.
So much so she can't go to see doctors.

I guess we wait and see when the x-rays are done.

Jim

View attachment 56699

View attachment 56700

Behave

Ben
Bet it’s a good feeling seeing that floor going in.

After 4 weeks, we actually had workmen arrive to work today on our addition. It took 4 of them to lift the slab and set in place for our shower. I think they said it was 600 lbs. And then the plumber was out doing something most of the day. And one side of the building, out of 4 sides was sided. The guy that left said the HVAC guy would be out Wednesday, and the plumber again Friday. I know the builder is on vacation in Indiana. He was in Florida over the holidays. His mama is my favorite cousin, and I saw her last night for supper, and of course said nothings been done, so I suspect that's why something was done. Husband had an allergy shot, and had labs drawn today. We had some time in between, so did some more stock up of the stock ups at Aldi that was just around the corner.
The twins go to in person school tomorrow (hooray! it's been 2 months), and they get to go again Thursday. Grandson's grades took a nose dive the last two months on online school, so no cell phone for him till grades come in again. I suspect he'll be having lunch in the classrooms of the teachers he needs to see, instead of making eyes at a certain girl. He's in doo doo tonight with me, saying he gave the chickens water and didn't. It's my job to make his life miserable for a few days now.

After 4 weeks, we actually had workmen arrive to work today on our addition. It took 4 of them to lift the slab and set in place for our shower. I think they said it was 600 lbs. And then the plumber was out doing something most of the day. And one side of the building, out of 4 sides was sided. The guy that left said the HVAC guy would be out Wednesday, and the plumber again Friday. I know the builder is on vacation in Indiana. He was in Florida over the holidays. His mama is my favorite cousin, and I saw her last night for supper, and of course said nothings been done, so I suspect that's why something was done. Husband had an allergy shot, and had labs drawn today. We had some time in between, so did some more stock up of the stock ups at Aldi that was just around the corner.
The twins go to in person school tomorrow (hooray! it's been 2 months), and they get to go again Thursday. Grandson's grades took a nose dive the last two months on online school, so no cell phone for him till grades come in again. I suspect he'll be having lunch in the classrooms of the teachers he needs to see, instead of making eyes at a certain girl. He's in doo doo tonight with me, saying he gave the chickens water and didn't. It's my job to make his life miserable for a few days now.
Give him hell AH.

Ben

Nothing much today.

Not a good day at our household.

Home care nurse ordered a in home x-ray for wife.
Y'all remember that she had every vertebrae from T8 thru L5 repaired this year.
They said that the chances of fracturing anything above that was very slim.
Well she had a sneezing spell over the weekend and now she's in excruciating pain at T7 level.
So much so she can't go to see doctors.

I guess we wait and see when the x-rays are done.

Jim

My goodness bless her heart she has really been thru it and it was so great to hear how much better she was doing. I hope and pray she just had small setback and no more surgery or pain.

The girls had a dentist appointment this morning. They finally got their act together at the office and took them simultaneously. We were out in less than 30 minutes rather than an hour and a half like before. The report was good.

Then we went to the bank. I had to deposit a check and pull some cash. Perfect timing too. I was the first in line and by the time I left there were 10 people waiting.

The coin and stamp shop was last. Only 2 people in the shop at a time but the owner was willing to make a quick sale just outside the door to avoid a line forming. The 2 folks inside were selling stamps and I knew what I wanted.

Came home and put my purchases away then got Roo back in her school books. Lazy day after that.

Ben, Looks great! It's amazing to see the transformation thus far.

Amish_Heart, I'm glad you're getting progress on the renovations. I really need to work on mine.

I generally don't put any sort of bumper stickers or political signs on anything. We had a US flag sticker on one of our vehicles and someone tried to steal it but ended up just ruining it. I'm in the "laying low" type mindset. I don't try to draw attention to my vehicle or home with stuff. Oh wait, we used to have a PADI (diver's) sticker on a vehicle.

Went grocery shopping with my brother. Ended up getting more plastic containers than food bc we need better mouse-proof storage in the pantry. Brother said he'd help me clean the pantry (although he says he'll do stuff all the time and then doesn't) so we can get it organized. I want to see if a new doorknob can keep the mice out of there (so they can't crawl through the knob-hole). Walls are lined in metal screen so they can't get through there. Only place they are getting in is the door. I want to take everything out of there and chase all the damn buggers out (and let the cats have fun going after them).

Got puppy chow and kitten chow for my friend's pets. He's feeling better now that he's realizing how much better life is without his ex-- although she's trying to get him back. He realized her renewed interest came when her new bf quit his job and my friend started getting unemployment. She wants financial support. Friend told her she needed to fix herself before she could even attempt to fix the relationship, but that he'd given her multiple chances & she blew every one and there was no way in hell he would ever take her back. She completely changed personality. She used to be a supportive, helpful, sweet girl. She turned into a spoiled lazy mega-biyatch. But he's found that women are still interested in him so he's feeling better and he's saving a lot of $ by not having to financially support her. He's fairly certain the baby isn't his, but he doesn't care. The guy that could be the baby's bio dad is a complete loser and my friend loves the baby too much to subject him to that lot in life. He'd rather raise the kid as his own so he has a chance at a better life.

I think tomorrow (technically later today) will be cleanup day inside.

Snow stopped, animals went out, and son did make it to snowboarding. Now he just needs to come back in one piece....

I am trying to decide what to cook today, chicken noodle soup, chicken pot pie, chili, or Kimchi stew

We have to go shopping at some point but I really don't feel like it. It's not critical, but I would like to not have to drive an hour when it's snowing and snow on the main roads.

Strawberry has been walked.
Coffee has been drank.
Need to do up dab of dishes.
Grand daughter went home to her mommy last night.
Strawberry and I are resting.
Strawberry is snoozing.
I seem to fall asleep every time,I sit down.
House is quite.
I love that little girl to pieces, but it takes about a week to regroup.
Last week felt like it was a month long.
And it was just a week.
Just checking in with you all.

Brrrrrr..my fingers are freezing....but got the critters fed, their water containers are slowly thawing...will need to go to the store tomorrow for parts to fix the line outside.....heard the strangest noise, thought something was wrong with the pump hubby has for the rain water tanks...but it was the water running down the gutters and into the tanks, echoing sounds of water pouring into it....
❤

Latest posts

Back