What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The boy had a spring band concert tonight. They played very good and we went and got subs after the concert.

View attachment 64714View attachment 64715
A handsome young man that can play the sax...

He could be president some day.

A concealed carry president. How cool.

How old is he?

I have a sharp "friggen 12 year old" granddaughter...

Ben

Sooo, with several of you mentioning a shortage of hay at this time, is a shortage normal for spring time? I see 18 wheeler flatbeds rolling down the highway several times a day (very popular business around here) heading south to deliver hay, although I suppose they could be hauling bails that were stacked and stored for the winter.
Or, has the shortage been a problem for a few years? If so I guess we should find a way to store more for just such an emergency.

Hay is in short supply here at the moment. 1st cutting hasn't happened yet.

I dont want to hear that, hope it is just out west and not here....we are in the process of selling our hay field. It just seems easier to buy nice hay than trying to get someone to cut a hay field for you and get nice square bales. I don't like having to take apart round bales which is what we have to do if we get round. WIshed we could send you all our 15 round bales we still have from last year. It's sort of crappy ( got rained on ) but good enough for cows, and the goats and sheep will eat it if that's all there is

Overdid it yesterday planting the garden some now my back hurts...planted potatoes , onions, carrots ( seeds), radish, cucumbers, squash and zuccini which included moving some composted manure to the garden and spreading it around with a shovel and rake. We went instantly from snow to summer in a few days. It was close to 80 degrees here yesterday.

That's too bad you have to sell, Sonya. Around here people are happy to farm land for you and give you a cut. That's how it is with our 15 acres alfalfa.
Not sure what we' re up to today yet. I know our pickup has to be picked up from town. Brought it in yesterday for warantee servicing and a recall, but they didn't have the recall part, so later on that.
I'm guessing either Sams in the really big city or a day of gardening.

Mostly resting today after the work yesterday with firewood.

Will try to get the strawberries, which a lovely lady here sent me, relocated to the raised bed , now that they're doing so good.
IMG_20210428_092953913.jpg
IMG_20210428_093011547.jpg

May go shopping a little for a utility trailer , so I can haul the mowing machines to be serviced , because I just can't do it anymore.

Hope y'all have what you need today , and are happy.

Jim

Finally got the tomatoes bed prepped and the weed screen down and 12 tomatoes set out.
They're beautiful.

That's it for today.
That's about all the Misses and I can do these days.

My maters
View attachment 64072
My peppers and 1 bucket of onions.
Gonna do another onion bucket .View attachment 64071
Also got room for a couple grape tomatoes.

Miss gardening.

Jim

Won't be long now.
That bucket of onions is coming along.
Got another started Monday.
IMG_20210428_092928969.jpg

Jim

The boy had a spring band concert tonight. They played very good and we went and got subs after the concert.

View attachment 64714View attachment 64715

He is really growing up fast but other peoples kids always do,lol. We see our own more often so it surpriese us to see how fast others kids have grown.Nice looking kid,good job on you and the wife.

Last edited:
Your berries and onions look alot like ours right now. Went and picked up our truck, was in town for it's warantee servicing. When the sky stops dripping, I'll do some planting. I have more strawberries and cabbages to get into the ground. My cousin is over right now putting the tire back on the mower. It had a flat that we got fixed yesterday. No track meets or tennis matches tonight, but the twins have Bible study to go to.

We've been working like crazy. Monday started at 3AM, yesterday about 4, this morning I waited until I heard the coffee finish so about 4:15-4:30, getting home later then have to water and make supper etc. Hired a fella this morning so big prayers he works out. We were very honest with him and told him we weren't willing to work extra hours to support the paycheck of others (but in kinder words). He is our age so understood. Don't think we'll have to worry about him spending as much time on his phone as on a job.
Got carrots seeded. Need to replant peanut-butter and pole beans. Bush beans sprouted but pole beans only 1 did. Will probably sew more greens this weekend. Also this weekend, we will go pick up tomatoes, peppers and a few flowers.

Snappy, when you can it, do you get a yogurt like produce? I ‘ve only done it twice...... maybe it was older, too. Thanks.

I'll let you know. It is still cooling in the PC now. I think it will separate, but just shake it up and should be fine. The folks who have done it, say it tastes creamier when PC'd.

Walked early and then walked dogs.
Made rice for dogs.
Have first batch of chocolate milk in PC cooling down and will start 2nd in a few minutes. I have 2 PCs just didn't think ahead and had to sterilize the 2nd 7 jars before starting them.
Will do eBay photos and take it easy the rest of the day.

My jeep is at the shop. Dies at inconvenient times. Already replace the crank and cam sensors. Glad we have two jeeps!

While waiting on my DNA results start building my Genealogy using the free software the DNA Company provided. FUN! My oldest sister is the family historian, used her published records to go back seven generations (1726). When "we" came to the United States our German last name was Americanized. I added three more generations to bring our family tree to current.
Rode the mule into Town.
Bank to withdraw some pocket money.
Hair cut.
Hardware for a 5/16" x 36" round rod, four eye-bolts and nuts.
Rode the mule home.
Remove the faulty door fasteners from the wife's compost barrel. Replace with eye-bolt, slide the rod thought the eyes bolts to keep door closed.
Pickup a few fallen branches.
Back to working on the Family tree. Internet searches for "obituary name" is turning up useful information.

You can look up specific cemetaries, too, and some of them have photos of the gravestones. Even our Amish cemetary here has photos, my great grandpa Shem is there. My grandparents are down the road in the Menno cemetary and there's photos online of their gravestones, too. We found a cemetary about 3 miles from here that is small and overgrown with alot of uncommon english names. We were able to look that up and find out a little about them.

While waiting on my DNA results start building my Genealogy using the free software the DNA Company provided. FUN! My oldest sister is the family historian, used her published records to go back seven generations (1726). When "we" came to the United States our German last name was Americanized. I added three more generations to bring our family tree to current.
That is very cool. Years ago I made the family tree and printed it out and put it somewhere safe, hoping it wasn't thrown out when I moved out. But, I think that might be one thing she might have kept of mine. I am hesitant about the DNA thing, but I suspect it is only a matter of time before blood banks and hospitals and doctors offices start taking DNA samples of everyone for future medical purposes. Until then I will hold off. If I ever get the final inspection on the house and make it comfortably livable I want to start the online family tree thing again. Hopefully before the last of my parents generation pass away. I think there are only 3 or 4 of them still living.

Hey there Squirrel How ya doin?
Ok,I guess. They started me on blood pressure medicine. The surgeon's not going to do surgery on my clogged artery yet but I have to see the Neurosurgeon tomorrow about my neck to see if it needs surgery yet. Next week I have 3 doctor's appointments and another cat-scan to do. Fun fun fun :rolleyes:

I have an odd day off! I clean houses for a living, get to clean my own when I'm off. Hmmm, something doesn't seem right, lol, good thing I love what I do!

I use to work for builders cleaning houses of course construction is different type but still cleaning.In the 70s and early 80s too many sky lights got tired of climing on roofs scaffles and ladders. Back then it was great money.WC insurence was high.Do you have to have work comp?

This morning I picked Spinach, the wife blanched and packaged it, it's in the freezer now. This evening I watered the garden and then cleaned a couple grocery bags of carrots that I harvested last night. Tonight is wash night for the wife, that will eat up an hour or so.... not a bad day overall.

It is recycling and trash day, we got that to the curb already. Hope to get to bed early tonight.

Ok,I guess. They started me on blood pressure medicine. The surgeon's not going to do surgery on my clogged artery yet but I have to see the Neurosurgeon tomorrow about my neck to see if it needs surgery yet. Next week I have 3 doctor's appointments and another cat-scan to do. Fun fun fun :rolleyes:
🙏

Latest posts

Back