What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was picking a huge bowl of mint to dehydrate for tea. Smells like mint, but I do like the onion smell, too.
Brought daughter to the airport. Shopped at Aldi. Their prices went up on some things. The small cups of specialty yogurt was 59 cents, now $1.09 (Skyrr)
The Princess there is something up with onions. She had a hard rime finding any.

Ben

Trim low hanging limbs on probably 50 trees in yard and along driveway.

About killed both of us. Reaching overhead , then picking up and unloading at brush burn pile.

Then wife grilled burgers for lunch , with cantaloupe for desert.

Then spread gravel with tractor, then old friends stopped for a visit .

I'm a good tired tonight.

Jim

I wasn't going to mow until it cooled down, but I couldn't handle it. I mowed, but left the blades a notch higher and have had the water going for 2 days. It was supposed to be 100 today but so far has only made it to 95*. I'm okay with that. Next week is supposed to be 100+ except for one or two 99* days. I hope they are lying again and a big ol' thunder boomer with rain boogies on through. I also did some weeding and picked mint too :) But I hang mine to dry. Have a few misc. projects I've been dodling on today which has been nice. Dehydrated 4 bags of corn which fit into 3 pint jars. Will look for carrots next. Got my car all vacuumed out and dusted which looks so much nicer. (I don't like my car dirty.) The outside still needs to be washed, but dry and dusty and they were harvesting peas and will do wheat next - the fields on 3 sides of us. Tomorrow we are taking a 3 hour sashay NW of here to go look at a cargo trailer. Will be nice to get out of Dodge so to speak.

Today, went well. The wife made bread (new recipe ) pretty good actually. I got the rain water collection system working, I had to raise the collector 6" to match the new barrel platforms. I got 1 platform made, 2 old barrels cleaned out an hooked, just 6 more to be ready to set up the distribution network. I made a space under the platform to hold the pump, but the pump has a vertical discharge, I wonder if I can remove the housing rotate it 90 degrees so it will all fit under the platform.

Did some ironing, watered the plants. Checked out an old wooden headboard that I'm going to turn into the trellises. I can probably make 2 out of them, if it's cut properly.
It's raining and I saw a couple of kids dancing in the rain. That was a nice nostalgic moment. One day I'll find the courage to do that again 😆

It's been a cooler then normal weather this spring here in Tennessee. with normal rainfall. Finally finished my two postholes in this clay soil. Plan on setting uprights on each side of my fire pit today to support a cross member for hanging pots, Etc. Getting older isn't for sissies, as jobs seem to sometimes take forever to do. My daughters and their families live about 800 miles away so holidays are just another day, but I have no desire to relocate back to Michigan and fight all the snow and cold of the winters there. My rain collection system is up and working well, although winter will probably cause problems with it so I will need to call in help in getting my well up and running properly. I could probably pull it myself but there is some way it is held in place to keep it from falling further in the pipe, and I don't know how that is done or how to release it.

Will clean the propane grill, put in the new briquets, change the tank. Blow some gravel back where it belongs. It is Independence day, so grilling, celebrating and reflecting is the main plan of the day.

Grandson getting ready to take off to BoyScout camp for the week. I plan to start some chocolate cream pies in a bit, so they set for dinner. Have to take care of the animals, and do some garden weeding. Dinner at cousin's house tonight and fireworks at home later.
My first "real" job was summer camp counselor with the boy scouts, back in 1974.

I'm taking a break this morning and catching up here before my busyness starts. No video or walking today!
Will have Sunday School and Church first.
Quick grocery store run next.
Wash comforter and blankets.
Set up my vitamins for the month.
Clean my makeup drawer-shouldn't even have one as rarely as it is used.
Slice sweet potatoes to dry for dog treats tomorrow.
Thaw chicken, burgers and hot dogs for tomorrow.
Rest. Sunday afternoons are usually Ancient Aliens tv. Not sure why, but it is very calming to me. LOL

Did a little in the garden this morning and got extra peppers in the ground. Then mixed up a batch of oatmeal monsters for Hubby. Had to form them (just scoops) and put them in the fridge so we could head out a couple hours away to look at a cargo trailer which followed us home - Hubby is happy :) Will bake the cookies out in the summer kitchen here in just a bit. No fireworks in many places here in the NW due to extreme temps., severe drought, and fire hazard. That's kinda weird. There is a little town not too far from here that does their fireworks for kick-off to Christmas celebration (Jim you would love it). They started it years ago because of fire hazard. It's fun. Don't know what places will come up with. I totally understand and agree with the decision, but there is a yuk feeling like it's just more of the 2020 doodoo that we've had to put up with for over a year now. On a brighter side, I haven't seen a mask all day. You folks with all that rain - praise it!

Big grilling day for me.

Ribs, Pork Chops, Chicken, and my BBQ Baked Beans.

20210704_182930.jpg

Now a night of no sleep as people blow their stimulus and unemployment checks on Chinese fireworks to celebrate Americas independence...

No onion shortage here either but... has anyone noticed Coleman's mustard powder is missing from store shelves? I noticed it a couple of months ago. Had to order some off amerzit. Now I always check for it... still none to be had, looked at 2 WM's and 2 other grocery stores last week. No mustard powder but one had Coleman's mustard liquid in a jar, never seen that before anywhere, it was at the fancy $$$$ grocery store.

Quiet day, I cooked dogs and conecuh sausage on the grill for the folks. I also had potato salad, baked beans, mom fried some okra from the garden and made a small blackberry pie. Yummy!

Today, I hope to do all the laundry (so I start the week clean), then work in the garden till 11, then change oil in the car, then mow the lawn. Then take a shower and call it a day..... Will most likely be grilling this afternoon, but we have a lot of garden based meals in the fridge (cucumber salad, squash casserole, and a layered salad).

A tree on my property line fell last winter. I took it till now to shift into its final rotting place. Bottom of main trunk is a foot away from one of my driveways pointing right at anyone that uses the driveway. Chained sawed it back to the property line. While I had the chainsaw out I trimmed a few other tree branches by the same driveway.

Wife wanted "help" weeding a long neglected flowerbed. She wanted me to thin out the iris flowers but couldn't decided on how many to take out. She stood there and watched me take out about half. Then she was disappointed I took out so many and decided I should go ahead and take them all out. By the time "we" where done there was only one flower plant left. My suggestion of replanting the remaining plant to a different place and plant flowerbed with grass seen was met with a disdained look.

Mixed up a batch of Roundup and sprayed weeds. I did so well without wife's supervision I mixed a second patch and sprayed more! 😁

Finally got ahead of the tree branches and debris the winds have been planting on the yards and got it all picked up. Mowed the yards.

Good morning! Already walked, next will feed and walk dogs.
Washed rugs and started regular laundry.
Will get sliced sweet potatoes on baking sheets to dehydrate for dog treats.
Next use food processor to chop onions and bell peppers to dry pack in the pressure canner. Got about 8 huge onions free and bought bell peppers yesterday.
This afternoon, grilling hamburgers, turkey burgers, hot dogs, and chicken drumsticks. Cooked corn on the cob yesterday and cut up watermelon. I cheated and bought potato salad and coleslaw.
Having a couple of folks over and then rest!
No fireworks in many places here in the NW due to extreme temps., severe drought, and fire hazard.
A friend of mine says her town is having a laser light show instead of fireworks. I thought that sounded like a good substitute!

@UrbanHunter you sure do a lot of laundry

@snappy1 around 5:30 p.m. yesterday we gave the dog her meds. Within 20 minutes she was chillin'. Lying by the table staring out the window as we ate instead of staring at us. Usually when people are leaving the house she gets worked up, barks, etc. but yesterday she was okay when my son left. She was a little concerned a few times about the fireworks in the evening and stayed relaxed until mid-morning. Even now she seems to be calmer than usual. She stayed near me most of the evening and night, just resting or sleeping, not frantic or alarmed.
Were you able to get anti-anxiety meds for your puppers before last night?

Just had my lunch break, cucumber salad was good, first time for me.... I only have 4 cucumber plants but we are getting about 3 cucumbers per day. I had a cucumber for breakfast, we had cucumber salad for lunch, and there are still 5 in the crisper... We are going to need some new cucumber precipices.

Yes @Patchouli it seems like I do a lot of it, the last of today's 6 loads is in the dryer. Wife can't reach the laundry room so it is one of my hats. But, I don't fold, I will hang up shirts and dresses, and everything else goes in a hamper. Drives the wife crazy, she can figure out why I would be willing to leave clean tee shirts and jeans in a hamper. Just lazy I guess. I may talk about it here too much, but it would hurt my wife's feelings if I complained about it to her, and honestly you don't care if I gripe. But for someone who hates laundry 10 loads a week is a little much.....

Cleaning my rain barrels is taking longer than expected as I am cleaning out all the valves and on the 2 bung 55 gallon ones I am adding a bung to the bottom so I can completely drain them and stand them on end.... I am almost finished assembling the racks for all the barrels and hope to get them setup and connected to the delivery manifold today. Usually late July through early September we are in a semi-drought condition with just a light rain every 4 or 5 days, but not enough to replenish anything, so I want my barrels full before things turn brown.

Last edited:
Got off work early today. The dispatcher decided it was more important to run trains than to fix the tracks so we sat in the siding for six hours twiddling our thumbs, before the boss made the call to pack it up for the day. We're still going to get paid for a full day, which is nice...

Think I'll go to the gym in a bit, and after that I'll browse the car dealer websites for a truck. Who knows, if I can actually find a truck on the lot, I might buy one this week...

Latest posts

Back