What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@snappy1 it is Trazodone Hydrochloride. 100 mg.
Give 1 1/4- 1 1/2 tablets at least 2-3 hours before stressful event. Not to exceed more than 3 caplets in a 24 hr. period. She weighs about 50 lbs, a little smaller than a German Shepherd in height.
Have you given it to your dogs? Do fireworks stress your dogs out too?

No, I haven't and yes, they do. Thanks!

@Patchouli , what anti anxiety med did the vet prescribe?

Yesterday, I walked first, fed dogs.
Then off to Walmart for monthly stock up. Went pretty well except prices are certainly up! Only thing they were out of was my turkey beef type sticks. None of them available. Stocked up on canned veggies pretty good.
Came home and put almost everything away, then went for haircut and picked up my thyroid prescription.
Cooked up a bunch of bell peppers, onions, jalapenos and garlic with turkey sausage for breakfasts.

This morning, walked first, then fed and walked dogs.
Paid bills.
Cleaned and swept shed and did some rearranging.
Scrambled 2 dozen eggs as now DH wants them instead of cereal for breakfasts.
Now, trying to catch up on this site.
Scrambled 2 dozen eggs? How do you store them or reheat them or is that just one breakfast. 😉

Today I had a lovely day with my friend. We went to Old Tyme Pottery where I got some large, heavy planters for my plants that keep getting blown over. Then we went to Big Lots where I got several snack items. Some to share with co-workers, some for home. Then we ate lunch and went to an Avon store for some sunscreen/bug repellent stuff. Then to a fruit and veggie market and I got peaches, apricots, local tomatoes (mine are still green) and a watermelon.
When I hit home, I promptly dropped a full glass jar of eucalyptus honey. What a MESS to clean up. 😩

Today I had a lovely day with my friend. We went to Old Tyme Pottery where I got some large, heavy planters for my plants that keep getting blown over. Then we went to Big Lots where I got several snack items. Some to share with co-workers, some for home. Then we ate lunch and went to an Avon store for some sunscreen/bug repellent stuff. Then to a fruit and veggie market and I got peaches, apricots, local tomatoes (mine are still green) and a watermelon.
When I hit home, I promptly dropped a full glass jar of eucalyptus honey. What a MESS to clean up. 😩
Oh no! That's just as bad as spaghetti sauce.

Apparently it has rained all night, which puts my outdoor work on hold. I have been sorting fittings to see if I need anything to finish my projects.

Last night I helped the wife layout material for window valances, she is redecorating the Master Bedroom around a wedding-ring quilt that she had me get for her at Christmas. We ran into problems when she couldn't find pillow shams to go with the quilt, and the drama began.... I found solid sheets that matched two of the colors, but she wasn't happy about the missing shams and she was not willing to shift away from the quilt pattern that she loves. The new curtains have solid colors matching the body of the quilt, but she couldn't find anything to trim it with that would tie it all together. So, being the supportive kind of guy I am, I bought her another quilt just like the first, to be dissembled into important stuff. She will be making valances using the scalloped edges of the quilt and pillow shams will come from the center of the quilt. I had to make her patterns last night so she will have enough material to complete the project, using just the 1 quilt. When she is done the quilt, the pillow shams, and all the valances in the room will be in the same wedding-ring pattern.

Then she will have to find something else that is working perfectly fine and fix it.....

That's going to be alot of wedding ring pattern. What colors? I used to love Big Lots in Albuquerque, Winds of Change. The only place that wasn't out of milk when covid hit. We don't have one where we live in Kansas.
Getting ready to make some lemon poppy seed muffins to take to my cousin's for a breakfast this morning. Our youngest daughter is here from AZ till tomorrow, and she hasn't seen her yet. Farmer's Mkt this afternoon, and maybe into the big town for fireworks.

@Amish Heart it is a soft, old time pastels with embroidery flowers in the center of each ring.
The sheets (I got her 2 sets) are a soft rose or sage green, the curtains are an ivory.
1625229547791.jpeg

Made bread this week. 2 loaves. I might have to go to 3 loaves a week if K keeps taking 2 sandwiches to work everyday.

Made pizza dough last night. It needs to proof 18-24 hours before we can use it tonight. I wanted to find a good recipe for crust that wasn't 'bread-y'. Next I will be experimenting with sauce.

Cleaning up my clutter and piles of started projects. I cleaned one area and found my putz houses I started at Christmas but didn't finish. I decided to finish them. I finished the base for the camper putz and mounted the 2 campers. I still need to bleach and dye the trees for this putz. I also need to glitter the base and mount the trees once they are done. I need K to fish my tree tote out of the loft. He keeps putting it in the loft with the Christmas decor. I use some of the supplies in that tote year round and he still thinks it is holiday junk!

I have a half finished putz house of my own design that will be next. I was trying out a new lighting method and hiding the wires and battery has me stumped. The house is painted and half put together except the chimney, base and roof. This house is based on a painting by El Gato Gomez. Her mid century themed paintings are so colorful and fitting for a mid century themed putz village.

e04db0068a831293ce5ff3850ab22b70.jpg

Worked a few hours. Internet was not working at the house again, most of the day, finally got it operational. Got a lot of study stuff to do and don't even understand what I'm doing most of the time.

@UrbanHunter that's pretty. please show us a photo when your darlin' wife gets the valance etc. done.
@winds-of-change sorry you lost all that good honey.

Cool but soggy here, over 5 inches of rain in 2 days. Cut the front grass, back is still a swamp. Filled bird feeders. Drilled the support strip to replace the busted one on the wife's' Subaru Baja back cover, I'll replace it after dinner.

After the rain cleaned I headed out to the side yard to survey the situation and settle on an action plan to correct that water issue from two days ago. But first I had to sample some of the seeded grapes.

20210702_140750.jpg

They could use a little more time but they were good.

I think I found the cause of the water. A drainage ditch had gone untended resulting in a depression in the yard. The french drain usually drains that area but the red stuff that moved through was simply too much.

20210702_144330.jpg

So I spent the afternoon digging and cutting out the tree rots that contributed to the ditch clogging up. It was a great day for digging. 72 degrees and little humidity.

As I was finishing up my sister showed up trying figure out what I was up to. She declared the virginia creeper was poison ivy so I had to take her to school so that can stop calling every vine poison ivy. I took her to the one place there is PI and showed what to look for. I sent her home with a big onion for my BIL since she is funny about anything pungent.

The Princess is scheduled to stop work about 12 minutes ago (where is she?) for an evening enjoying the sunset.

Ben

Pretty pink and sage Mrs Urban picked!. Lovely colors!
I found a wooden wall hanger for quilts at the thrift store, grandson gave it a quick coat of white paint. I have a Bargello heart quilt in pink, rose, and white that I'll be hanging. My cousin Alice made it, and she passed away last November. Had it on a queen bed for awhile, but now we have the hospital beds, the lift beds set up, and those two together are a king size. So I have a log cabin navy blue and white on those.
Went to my favorite cousins for breakfast, so our daughter could visit, too. Bought fireworks, and went to the Farmers Mkt. Out to dinner tonight.

I'm gonna relax today , by trimming a bunch of neglected low , overgrown, limbs along the driveway.
Then we're gonna grill some hamburgers .

Then I'm gonna stroll around and find something else to do, maybe split firewood and stack it.

Low temps and low humidity today....that's why.😊

Don't get many days like this in July.

Of course I'll have my coffee and watch Tombstone Territory and Bat Masterson first. 😁

Y'all enjoy the holiday weekend , and be safe.

Jim

Yesterday and today walked first, then helped a friend and will do the same today. Today is my Birthday and am still amazed that I've made it this far (64) as my mom passed at 47.

Hope you all have a great Independence Day!
How do you store them or reheat them

They are for DH and I both for several days. We just re-heat in microwave. Eggs are mixed with turkey sausage and bell peppers and onions.

I hope your day is awesome, Snappy1. Happy Birthday!!
Youngest daughter flies home to AZ this afternoon, but wants to get a pedicure in the bigger town from us first. So I'll probably drop her off to do that while I shop at Aldi. Then driving to the airport. Then catching up on the household stuff and gardening stuff I've been neglecting this week.

Yesterday and today walked first, then helped a friend and will do the same today. Today is my Birthday and am still amazed that I've made it this far (64) as my mom passed at 47.

Hope you all have a great Independence Day!

They are for DH and I both for several days. We just re-heat in microwave. Eggs are mixed with turkey sausage and bell peppers and onions.
Happy Birthday😊

I haven't posted in this thread in a week... busy with my computer. I loaded Linux on a new hard drive last weekend. It's been 20yrs since I've worked with the unix or linux operating systems. So I've been shaking out the cobwebs. Busy customizing, more time spent re-leaning how to customize that actually doing it.

For instance, spent 3 hours reading about setting up a printer/scanner. Took me 10 minutes to do it. My only regret is that bulk renaming of files is lacking. I take 100's of plant photos and trying to rename more than a few in linux in a nightmare. My stop gap measure is the old desktop in my bedroom that has XP loaded on it. It only takes moments to dump a batch of photos on a thumb drive, edit them on the old pc and load them back on my dell.

But.. I'm happy about finally getting rid of windows. No more buying antivirus or internet security software. No more time consuming windows bs period!!! Yea!!! This OS runs sooo much faster.

I haven't posted in this thread in a week... busy with my computer. I loaded Linux on a new hard drive last weekend. It's been 20yrs since I've worked with the unix or linux operating systems. So I've been shaking out the cobwebs. Busy customizing, more time spent re-leaning how to customize that actually doing it.

For instance, spent 3 hours reading about setting up a printer/scanner. Took me 10 minutes to do it. My only regret is that bulk renaming of files is lacking. I take 100's of plant photos and trying to rename more than a few in linux in a nightmare. My stop gap measure is the old desktop in my bedroom that has XP loaded on it. It only takes moments to dump a batch of photos on a thumb drive, edit them on the old pc and load them back on my dell.

But.. I'm happy about finally getting rid of windows. No more buying antivirus or internet security software. No more time consuming windows bs period!!! Yea!!! This OS runs sooo much faster.
Congrats on that.

It has been 20 or more years unix and use my laptop so rarely it is not my time. Besides my granddaughters occasionally use it and it would complicate them playing games with Gramma and her matching machine that is windows and set-up for automatic updates and office 365 etc.

Ben

After changing the oil in my CRV I checked the spark plugs and they were due to be changed. I checked online, since we can do that, and saw what I needed at AutoZone. Went to AutoZone and told them the part number that I needed and that I needed four of them, The lady told me that it was an item that needed to be brought in and it would be here Wednesday and that it would be $64 and change. I can only guess the expression I gave her as I pointed my phone to her and showed her the snapshot that I took of the part that I needed and that they were $3.39 apiece. She went back to the stockroom, another guy went back there to help her, she ended up going to help someone else and he came back with AC Delco spark plugs. Showed him my phone again and he finally brought the correct ones so I could get the heck out of that store!

It’s not rocket science.
D7FE5E47-7817-4467-AA71-B5D8BBC772BD.jpeg

Today The Princess interrupted my coffee to tell me her lawnmower is acting up. Not what I wanted to hear. It will run then stops. Maybe bad gas or a carburetor or both. Small engine repair is one of my weak points. So I took it to the repair shop to let them fix it. I didn't enjoy the traffic driving into the subburbia but I survived.

The Princess had started an onion casserole while I was out.

20210703_145520.jpg

The place smells like onions.

Then I was able to get the things I wanted to do today. Trimmed the apple trees that form a tree tunnel over the front steps. I had noticed a tall delivery driver had avoided the steps due to the trees.

Since the Jeep had been partially unloaded for the mower I put away the more specialized stuff and fix my 40 year old tool box for the fifth time or so.

20210703_181337.jpg

One of the hinges for the lid had torn out a section of the wood frame of the box resulting in tools falling out when carried by the handle. I found enough pieces if the frame to piece it together using a bunch of hot glue.

20210703_181353.jpg

One of the corners of the box had previously beed rebuilt with hot glue and then reinforced with brass braces and corners.

We are presently enjoying a cool breeze on the front porch and I think I hear a beer calling for me.

Ben

Attachments

• 20210703_145520.jpg
    20210703_145520.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 54

Latest posts

Back