What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The coolant overflow tank in my car is cracked and I had to order a new one. I can still drive my car I just have to check the coolant level before leaving the house. I bought the tank with the warranty and have to wait for it to arrive verses buying locally and no warranty. The mechanic we have been using to work on my car has 'replaced' the tank several times over the years and I was beginning to think they are ripping us off. Now I need the hood latch.

I've had to replace the one on my jeep recently and the one on my truck 3 times in the last 4 years. The one on the truck is a bad design, in my opinion. It has plastic nubs that slip into grooves, no other fasteners at all. Twice one of the nubs broke off causing a leak and this last time it bounced out of place and was rubbing on my belt, rubbed a hole into it and broke my belt.

Last edited:
@MoBookworm1957 I must have missed something, but glad you are home safe and sound with your belongings.
@rusty Do you eat red meat? Even if you do might be good to take extra iron. (Obviously do as Drs. say) but mentioning it because my mom got dangerously low in iron and once it got low, it just kept going lower. She had to take it 3 times a day with food.

Washed rugs today! That doesn't sound like a big deal, but it takes more time than it seems. Got bedroom all dusted, rugs washed/dried, floor cleaned, bedding changed. Mowed lawn and pulled quite a few weeds but it's difficult to tell where. Made pitas for pizza crusts. Started on a new apron. I drew my own pattern from an antique one I found. This is about the 5th or 6th one I've made - they never fit right. Hoping to go pick apricots tomorrow.

Busy week at work. Got some projects in the works that should finish up before long. Had 3 more added this week 2 due by end of September, 1 we should be able to finish up in next couple weeks.
Mowed part of the yard Wed night, finished up tonight. Been picking produce from the garden and blueberries every couple days.
Suppose to rain Saturday and Sunday so we are heading toward the mountains and our favorite Amish store, big produce market, and then ride around in the country and look for land.

@MoBookworm1957 I must have missed something, but glad you are home safe and sound with your belongings.
@rusty Do you eat red meat? Even if you do might be good to take extra iron. (Obviously do as Drs. say) but mentioning it because my mom got dangerously low in iron and once it got low, it just kept going lower. She had to take it 3 times a day with food.

Washed rugs today! That doesn't sound like a big deal, but it takes more time than it seems. Got bedroom all dusted, rugs washed/dried, floor cleaned, bedding changed. Mowed lawn and pulled quite a few weeds but it's difficult to tell where. Made pitas for pizza crusts. Started on a new apron. I drew my own pattern from an antique one I found. This is about the 5th or 6th one I've made - they never fit right. Hoping to go pick apricots tomorrow.
The part that worries me is they have no idea why or where I am losing blood. I eat lots of meat and green veggies. My hemoglobin count was 7.9. normal is 13 to 17.

The part that worries me is they have no idea why or where I am losing blood. I eat lots of meat and green veggies. My hemoglobin count was 7.9. normal is 13 to 17.
I can't remember off the top of my head, but might look up foods that use iron to process. I know calcium & phosphorus, but can't remember what goes with iron.

Baked bread yesterday and made pizza dough last night.
I've had to replace the one on my jeep recently and the one on my truck 3 times in the last 4 years. The one on the truck is a bad design, in my opinion. It has plastic nubs that slip into grooves, no other fasteners at all. Twice one of the nubs broke off causing a leak and this last time it bounced out of place and was rubbing on my belt, rubbed a hole into it and broke my belt.

That was one of the things I looked for when I found the crack. I literally saw coolant spray out of it from a crack not touching anything else or even near anything. It was weird. Makes me think it was a stress or heat/pressure crack on the bottom that only leaked after driving . I could drive the 100+ miles to my folks and still have 3/4 full tank but drive to the store or bank and the tanks leaks once parked. It might be due to our altitude in the mountains verses my folks' house 3 miles above sea level.

I go for size more than anything. I figure a few more weeks. Mine are about the same age as yours. I'll just see how they do. I use dogs cages for itermediate cages with 1/4 in wire on the outside. When everyone seems mellow enough with each other and close in size, I'll open the door. But continue to keep food and water in the cage in case they want to go back in. I've got 3 in a smaller dog cage in one hen house, and 6 in a larger dog cage in another hen house. Just put up a dog panel chain link in one of the barns and put 10 meat chickens in it. They've got a couple of weeks on them yet. Then time to move 27 guineas in the dog panel cage. Let them acclimate to the barn for awhile, then open the door. Am hoping that they'll put themselves back in every evening, after running around the farm eating ticks and bugs. I'll keep putting food and water out for them. And a mirror. Guineas are vain. 15 chicken chicks still in the dining room in tubs. Not ready for the next step cages in the milkhouse just yet. My main two large chicken flocks will be a year old in about 3 weeks. I'll just keep adding newbies here and there to ensure eggs. Plus I didn't really weed out the roosters yet on the young ones. I have two good roosters in each of the main flocks, so will probably butcher the excess when they are big enough to eat. That's the plan anyway. And then there's the 6 turkeys in the turkey run that I'm only guessing two of them are Toms, but not sure.

@rusty you don't have pernicious anemia, do you? It can be quite dangerous. Really sorry you're having such a bad time with this. Will continue to keep good thoughts headed your way, and praying for you and yours.
I knew someone in their 20s who had to have several transfusions due to low iron, so low. It definitely helped.

Are they sure your loosing blood? If the kid doesn't drink a min of 130oz of water per day her blood volume drops to low and causes her oxygen levels to drop. It's hard to get that much liquid into her every day, it makes her feel sick.

@rusty you don't have pernicious anemia, do you? It can be quite dangerous. Really sorry you're having such a bad time with this. Will continue to keep good thoughts headed your way, and praying for you and yours.
I knew someone in their 20s who had to have several transfusions due to low iron, so low. It definitely helped.
I got an iron infusion today. It can take a week or two to help. Meanwhile I have the insomnia that goes with low hemoglobin.

A quiet day, just no energy, like that ol' sayin' "my get up and go done got up and went".

I loaded linux on my laptop this evening... got in a tight spot. The new install package didn't have drivers to make the wifi work. I had to find the correct driver package on the internet with my desktop. Move them (usb) and install on my laptop. Got it running though... From now on I'll keep the driver package on the laptop's back up drive, in case I need to install software again.

Amish, what age do you plan to turn you juvenile chicks out with older birds? Mine are 6 weeks old and plan to release end of month.
We just let the hen who hatched them take care of them, if you buy chicks, I would not let them out before they had true wing feathers, so 6-8 weeks.

That water from the dehumidifying...

It is distilled water.

Ben
It is distilled water, but from what I have read most dehumidifiers are not made with food grade components so there is the possibility of contaminents in the water, like maybe lead from soldered connections. I have not confirmed this but when I saw the price of the units that make drinking water, they are near or over $2000.00. I am sure the cheap priced dehumidifiers are definitely cutting corners and using unsafe parts. But, if needed I would drink the water.

I've turned chicks out with the grown birds as early as 8 weeks. Like this last time but I was down to two hens and the rooster. Plenty of room in the roost.

Times I've turned out a dozen chicks when there were 30+hens... I put them in a side pen for a few more weeks. they weren't turned out completely until 10-12 weeks old but I left the side pen open for a few more days so there was plenty of room to roost at night.

Rusty, I'm glad to "see" you but sorry you don't have better news. I hope the doctors can figure out why you are losing blood.

Tank-Girl, I'm sorry to hear your dog destroyed your stuff. We get a lot of stuff broken by the cats but never quite that extreme. Still love the little a-holes despite the messes. Sounds like your dog gets bored/freaked out when home alone.

Mo, sounds like quite the drama. I'm glad you're home safe.

Amish, sorry to hear the nanny got poison ivy. Sounds like she's a nice lady. Itchy rashes suck.

Start in one corner and one thing in that corner. Put it where it goes. Return to the corner. Do the next thing. When the corner is done move clockwise around the room.

Ben
My problem is more that I don't know where to put stuff. I can pick a spot to start but I get stuck because I don't know what to do with the stuff I pick up. My brain just sort of freezes up. Sometimes I find that there's no room where I want to put the stuff and I have to organize the potential storage places. But, I've found doing a little at a time instead of all at once can sometimes help.

I went to the post office to get mail & when I got back there was a package on my porch for the neighbor. Fedex delivered to the wrong address again and this time I wasn't home to tell them it was the wrong place. At least the put it on the porch instead of in the driveway in the rain like my last few packages. But, it still got wet and one end was smashed in. I took pictures of how I found it and, upon seeing that it said it was "priority overnight", decided to be nice and take it to the neighbor instead of calling FedEx to come get it. Drove over but she wasn't home. Her big dog was looking nervous & I didn't know if he would chew the package so I was leaving when I saw her mother-in-law. I stopped & talked to her & gave her the package. Told her about the condition I found it in and that I would give photos to her daughter-in-law if she needed to show it arrived damaged. She told me her husband had died. He was a wifebeating lying thief. But it explains why my road sign went missing. I think his sons took it when he died. She knew that and made a not-so-convincing comment about having no idea what happened to the sign (she was the one who brought it up). She did give me her daughter-in-law's phone # so I can call her if they leave her packages on my door again.

Almost out of my naproxyn and have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to get it refilled.

Today, I hope to ramp up from yesterday. It seems like there is always a weeks worth of work waiting in line.....

I have to do at least 1 load of laundry that I have to finish before I can do any outdoor work, neighbors frown on naked yard work...... That load is in the dryer and the second load is in the wash.....

I would like to get the oil changed in the vehicles, but they are not driven much and are further back in line......

It is expected to be over 100 here today with heat advisories, so watering the plants will be the first on my list, after I get some pants on.....

Woke up to God doing the watering chores again, so that will save some time today. Grandson off to do some painting for a lady. Granddaughter will be working late morning till evening at the Burger place, so it leaves little granddaughter. I need to get some lunch started soon and go pick up mom for the day. We'll have lunch and then shopping in our small town, and maybe to the grocery in her bigger town, we'll see.

Spent all day yesterday shopping in big town with wife. 55 years holding her hand , and I love her more everyday.

We were looking at New kitchen cabinets, counter tops and flooring for the farmhouse in all the big box stores and small "Kitchen and Bath " stores. We're anxious now.

The brother to the guy we are buying from is coming back today for a second tour of our place , told me is in love with it....so that's looking good.

Kids are coming today to start looking at some things we're not taking with.

I'm gonna be extra busy for a while , selling stuff and getting things moved , as soon as the deed is in my name.

I'll post when I can.

Hope y'all all stay happy and healthy.

Jim

Last edited:
Watered the plants, spread a teeny bit of wood chips. Put up the trellis. It's not in its final place but it's up for now and I can get my pots off the BBQ, lol.
I had a class this afternoon but I was cancelled just as I was about to leave the house, which was good.
I spoke to the farmer next door and he looked at my plants and told me I needed to add chicken poop because their growth is slow. So he'll get me some either this evening or tomorrow morning. And he'll let me know where I can get some myself, if he's not around.

A little bit of design work, otherwise I'm home all day.

Spent all day yesterday shopping in big town with wife. 55 years holding her hand , and I love her more everyday.

We were looking at New kitchen cabinets, counter tops and flooring for the farmhouse in all the big box stores and small "Kitchen and Bath " stores. We're anxious now.

The brother to the guy we are buying from is coming back today for a second tour of our place , told me is in love with it....so that's looking good.

Kids are coming today to start looking at some things we're not taking with.

I'm gonna be extra busy for a while , selling stuff and getting things moved , as soon as the deed is in my name.

I'll post when I can.

Hope y'all all stay happy and healthy.

Jim
Great time to get rid of stuff you don't need! Ya'll be safe!

I’ll be starting early putting on the 2nd coat of paint on a new structure I built and an old deck, then we are heading up the mountain looking for mushrooms and blueberries. A few other chores, of course, but I will be at them all with gusto early to save time for this evening.

This evening we will be celebrating the return of an old homesteader who will be staying at his property for a few weeks. He visits for a few weeks every 3-4 years, and we watch his property for him while he is away. Advanced age and arthritis caused him to move back south. We will host a BBQ for him at his site and fill him full of good spirits in exchange for his stories of what life was like when settled the place half a century ago. I am afraid this will be his last visit and there is still so much to learn from him.

I’ll be starting early putting on the 2nd coat of paint on a new structure I built and an old deck, then we are heading up the mountain looking for mushrooms and blueberries. A few other chores, of course, but I will be at them all with gusto early to save time for this evening.

This evening we will be celebrating the return of an old homesteader who will be staying at his property for a few weeks. He visits for a few weeks every 3-4 years, and we watch his property for him while he is away. Advanced age and arthritis caused him to move back south. We will host a BBQ for him at his site and fill him full of good spirits in exchange for his stories of what life was like when settled the place half a century ago. I am afraid this will be his last visit and there is still so much to learn from him.

See if he will let you video his stories to preserve them. Recording oral history is important especially in our current turbulent society.

Latest posts

Back