What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not going hunting? You're not going to be happy till you get going.
True, but... If I bag something and don't have freezer space ready I will be up a creek....
Tonight, I am putting up all the stuff we canned and a pile of canned goods that had grown to the top of the big freezer tonight. I have my laptop sitting there so I can put things into inventory as I place them on the shelves....

I told the wife that tomorrow I will be sleeping in until sun-up. I have the day off and I plan to do as much work as I can.

The bow season goes till the end of January so I have some time to get out. January of 2020 I made a harvested on the last day of the season... Wife was a bit upset... She was in the hospital (she ate fast food and the salt caused her to hold water, that affected her heart) and I was late arriving to visit her...Because, I took the deer home, hung it up, and changed clothes before sneaking over to the hospital....

This Sunday is a State Qualifying day at the range I work, usually get to deal with a couple hundred eager hunter want-to-bee's, My job is to make sure that no one goes home with any extra holes...... I walk around and look for some poor soul to yell at, mostly for being stupid..... but I am usually fully vented by the end of the day. Not as much fun as shooting but it'll do....

Well, I worked till 02:00 last night, I turned off my phone and alarm so I could sleep in...

This morning I did the dishes, I watered the garden, and did a little work on the solar project...

I am now starting to work on the cleaning and organizing the freezers... This afternoon I will move to re-canvasing the car tent....

Just got the call for exact payoff amount , for closing , from my lawyer. Will be leaving shortly ,closing at 9am.

Soooo being our 5 1/2 decades married, we gotta go get a cashier's check. Pretty good anniversary gift 😍🥰😊.

Then to Home Depot for new locks , and pick out flooring for the rest of the house, and a few other items.

Then we are taking each other out for the biggest , best steak dinner .

How she put up with me 55 years , I'll never know, but I'm glad she did. Can't imagine ever living without her. God knew what he was doing to put her in my life as just kids .
Love her more than life.

Gonna be a great day.

Jim

Today went long, after work I looked at the car tent... saw a rip down the center top (result of last storm)... I have new fabric but it is a big job... It will give me something to do instead of hunting tomorrow...... not happy.

Sometimes it is one step forward and 2 steps back....
1631280266625.png
Here you go - now you can go hunting!

97 degrees yesterday and supposed to be that again today. I am boarding three dogs. Two were roommates dogs previously and get along well. The third dog, Z. is one of my first dogs and a darling. One of the roommate dogs is possessive and has been giving darling Z a hard time. Fortunately, that dog is going home first. While the dogs are in the yard, I am cleaning out pots and other gardening stuff.

I ran over to the remodel place ti fetch the smaller jack hammer.

20210910_160916_HDR.jpg

It sped up the digging letting me bust up the concrete fill instead having to dig out each chunk one at a time. Then I was able to shovel the debris like it was gravel. That let me get at the critical stuff and assess how to proceed.

20210910_160924.jpg

The pipe coming from the lower left heads up the hill along the house to my shop. I was greatly concerned that I would have to dig up that line as well.

20210910_160612.jpg

20210910_160725.jpg

Those pictures above was taken with my cell phone looking up that pipe.

Yeah!!!!!!

I don't have to go farther up hill.

So tomorrow I can jack hammer out the step in the ditch and may not have to shovel it out and grade the ditch down the hill.

20210910_160932.jpg

After that install the new pipe test and back fill.

That should button up the drainage issue for another 35 years.

I am a happy camper!

Ben

Going to brother in laws funeral tomorrow. Slightly anxious to be a couple of hundred miles from home to the west of me. I will bring my 90 year old momma back to retirement home 45 miles south of me. By myself I wouldn’t worry. Husband can’t walk 20 yards without stopping to catch his breath. Can’t go off and leave them.

Got the first of our rabbits today. K is going to sh*t a brick but he knew it was coming. It is a Rex doe at 8 weeks old. She is friendly and sweet. I got her from a breeder selling show and pet rabbits. This doe is going to be a breeding pet as long as she produces. She is in her cage in the house right now. I want her to get use to the noise of our family and the other animals. I wanted a young one so I can be sure of her age (not sold an old non producing doe or buck) and so she would get use to being handled and have us reaching into her cage to check kits.

I will be getting a few more cages this weekend and looking for more rabbits. I see the need for them sooner rather than later.

I 86ed the winged a-holes. Forgot to get a pic of them before it, but it was a large nest. I'm thinking of getting some sky blue spray paint and painting the inside of the shed with it in the hopes it might deter them (not sure if the sky blue trick actually works or not).

Fed the cows, went to the post office for mail, and had my brother go in to WM to get his prescriptions. He said the pharmacy line was extremely long and people were b**ing up a storm about it.

I also discovered last night that my 4 o'clock flowers were blooming at night.

Last edited:
I 86ed the winged a-holes. Forgot to get a pic of them before it, but it was a large nest. I'm thinking of getting some sky blue spray paint and painting the inside of the shed with it in the hopes it might deter them (not sure if the sky blue trick actually works or not).

Fed the cows, went to the post office for mail, and had my brother go in to WM to get his prescriptions. He said the pharmacy line was extremely long and people were b**ing up a storm about it.

I also discovered last night that my 4 o'clock flowers were blooming at night.
It must have been 4 o'clock somewhere! I've had them bloom in the morning. They are not necessarily predictable, are they?

Last edited:
Got up at 5am this morning. I couldn't sleep so I went down stairs for water then got on the bike for a half hour HIIT spin workout. I was soaked with sweat when I was done. I felt like I fell in a pool with my clothes on.

The doe is doing well. The girls have 'named' her Bun-Bun. I call her 'Dinner'. Looking for a little buck now so we at least have a breeding pair when she is old enough.

We ran to Costco this morning for dry goods and decided while there to grab bacon and pork too. Pork is $2.50 a lb while beef is over $15.00 a lb for the cheap cuts! I could not believe it. K made a comment while we were looking at the meat that we can't let the commies scare us into being vegans. I looked him dead in the face and near shouted, "Why do you think we are raising rabbits!? Pets?!" An older couple near us laughed.

Now we are watching Dukes of Hazzard on dvd. The girls love it!

Took a load of garbage to the dump, stopped by harbor and bought a 1/2" hammer drill and some new bits. Got back home took up my fencing and post that had the cukes growing on them and pulled most of my soaker hoses up, left 2 beds set up so I can water the late maters and peppers. Mowed of most of the garden spot and then finished the yard.. Ran the soaker hoses for a while.

I went to bed early last night planning to get up early. Mom woke me up in the middle of the night hollering from the hallway. Some boxes my brother was supposed to throw out had fallen in her path, my brother was out cold so he couldn't hear her, and cats were sleeping in the boxes so she couldn't move them to get past. I couldn't get back to sleep for a couple of hours. So I slept in. Went to Sams to get water but they no longer carry the type I used to get and they limited it to 3 cases (used to be 5). Grabbed some other groceries as well.

Popped in to visit my friend and chat. Then home to unload stuff. I went back in to bring my friend over to help with some stuff (and so he could hug Mom-- she's missed him but won't go over there while his gf's family are over-- we joked that it's bc she's afraid stupidity is contagious). He helped me figure out at least some of the wiring situation in the well shed but it was too hot and we were losing light to do too much. Got him to help me cut a board that I want to use to mount my new monitor to the wall. I was hoping he would help me rough-fit it to the wall, but he said we can do that after I sand and paint the board. I'm going to work on that tomorrow.

Took him back home and hung out for awhile. Then to Walmart to pick up screws bc I can't for the life of me find the screws I bought last time. I think I had the wrong kind anyway so these should work. Just took some naproxyn and am waiting for it to kick in.

Round trip to Vegas with the trailer to get most of the last stuff from the house. Amazing how pleasant the ex has been since her dad passed a couple months ago. I am happy being moved on but if she was this pleasant years ago life would be way different. The only thing that changed was the passing of her father. That's all I got to say about that.
Need to go back again next weekend to help trash the rest of the stuff neither of us want, and grab whatever we come across that has some value or that I still want. If it's good and she doesn't want it I will sell it, but I know there are a few things hiding that are mine that I forgot about.
Sunday? Gonna relax and enjoy some quiet time. GF is at work flying around the country so I can sit back and ponder what I need to ponder and zone out when I am done pondering.
Hope all ya'all have a great day.

Yesterday, took a bunch of things to the farmhouse, started removing old flooring in kitchen, PIA.
Came home and spent 4 hours with the couple that's buying our place....just filling them in on everything, well, softener, starting log splitter, items I'm leaving , etc,etc.
Went back to farmhouse worked a few hours on floor removal and removing a ramp going to back porch..
Dropped an ammo can on my left foot, instep, couldn't walk last night , very much pain. Iced, wrapped,....much better today.

Rest, rest , and more rest today.
God sure is god to me.

Jim

Slept good last night. Today is a day of rest due to the long day yesterday. Soooo, while resting I boiled up the two duck carcasses left over from the baked chicken the GF made a couple days ago, and made some duck soup. Didn't have a lot of meat on them so added in some chicken meat. Boiled up some rice to mix in when it is served. Never did any of this before, but it should be food.
Made extra rice so later I will make up so chicken fried rice for a late dinner. I have experimented with the fried rice before so hoping this turns out decent.

Did the animals this morning, then was feeling fairly chipper, so picked a bunch of tomatoes. Wore myself out. I'll put the kids on cherry tomato picking tomorrow. Went into town with husband, grabbed some takeout, and took a drive. Nice to get out. Kitchen work on a stool this afternoon, so it wasn't too taxing. Banana bread, and put together steak shishkabob husband will grill pretty soon. Got some quinoa repackaged for storage, and a bunch of fruit cut up. Dehydrators filled with cherry tomatoes again.

I got the forms up for our covered gazebo. Carrying 2x12s, shoveling and swinging a 2 lb hammer for 4 hrs kicked my butt. God help me if I have to get a real job soon. Hopefully relying on my brains and good looks will hold out.View attachment 72224
Brains and good looks are my ace in the hole.

But in the meantime I play my sweat and sore muscle cards.

;)

Ben

Looks good Cascadian! Are you going to get some metal mesh to put in the middle of the form? I see there are gaps in the bottom part-- will that be filled in with dirt or more boards? I don't know if it was being done properly, but when we had forms poured by a contractor, they built up the dirt a teeny bit in the middle so it wouldn't take so much concrete. They used some sort of metal stuff that looked like fencing material that they put in the middle and had hooks to pull it up so it would be embedded into the center.

I slept pretty much all day. Got up briefly around 3 to feed mom (she doesn't usually get up before 3). Then went back for a nap. Then I realized I was going to lose daylight and I promised myself I would get the boards for mounting my monitor to wall studs sanded. So I grabbed my tools and the boards. Drilled pilot holes on the pencil marks since I figured my pencil marks would be sanded off. Hand sanded the hell out of the boards with the sanding blocks. Took all the grit off of one side of the 60 grit block. Had to switch to the 80 grit. I'm going to need to find more sandpaper. I see mom in the hallway so I think she wants food. My coordination was so bad earlier I had trouble opening a tv dinner box. Ended up ripping the box all weirdly. I was also stumbling around. So trying to cook on a stove is out. She just said she's hungry so I have to go cook now.

@Grimm Have you ever read Dolly Freed's "Possom Living". They raise rabbits in the basement and that is their main meat source.
Jim now don't go hurtin' yourself. Glad the move is going well for the most part though.
@zannej the flowers will bloom when the "right" bugs are out temp./ time of year/ light that feed on them and pollinate them.

We spent the past 3 days in the pickup - ugh! Saw some amazing country through Idaho and Montana. Went to look at some properties. We are still propertyless. Saw plenty of places we'd like that didn't have "for sale" signs on them for some strange reason. Saw some Amish. Had to watch for horse & buggies on the road so that was fun. We stopped in at the Amish store - prices were pretty steep. Help wanted signs across 3 states. Signs asking for patience since whatever business was short staffed. Smoke was atrocious that side of the mountains. We evidently had some rain here (yay) which we missed (boo) but we can see the mountains again. Good to be home - Back to the grindstone in the morning.

Latest posts

Back