What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done nothing really productive today. Cleaned the shower, so the bathroom is completely done, for the first time in a long time. Made a burger for lunch and breakfast (bacon and eggs) for supper. Probably will dig through the entertainment center to see if I've got any movies I've never seen. If not I'll probably watch one I haven't seen in a long time...

It pays to be nice to people (and live in a small town). The old post office called me this morning to get my new address so they could forward my package.
Last week we went to the post office a couple miles from our house. The mail guy must have recognized our truck when we pulled in because he had our mail and packages on the counter for us.

The power is still off so I did little today but feed the generator, fuel & oil change. I put down extra wood shavings for the peeps since I’m only running one heat lamp on them.

It’s supposed to go down to 42 degrees tonight, chilly! And I can’t completely close two entrances, wood doors or security doors. I’m running extension cords inside from the generator on the porch.

The only message on the power company call in number said “We expect power to be restored by 7am 13apr… At noon today that was still the message. At 7pm tonight the message changed to 1am 14apr.

If it weren’t for the baby chicks I would have shut everything down at midnight last night and tonight. Since I have to keep the generator running for them I might as well keep the freezers frozen and the fridges cold… and watch tv.

If the power comes on by 1am I’ll switch everything to shore power and kill the generator. That’s the plan anyway! Exciting stuff! :rolleyes:

It was a chilly , windy day.
So the wife and I got in the car and went riding for about 3 hours.

Backroads and back country first, eyeballing fsrms and farm houses.
There was no traffic...I mean dead. NONE.

Then we started hitting the small towns. For the most part , pretty dead also, looks like country folks are not socializing or shopping. We drove one road for 15 minutes , never saw another vehicle.

Then we drove into large cities like Clarksville TN, and Paducah KY.
The parking lots are mostly empty, but street/road traffic seemed heavy as usual.

So..I like being isolated.

Will probably remain that way for as long as possible.

Jim

Picked up medicine for husband today. Checked paper products and they did hav a large packet of bounty paper towels. Score! Still no TP, but that's okay. Still have 8 pack of Scott in pantry and the attic stash is a secret! Haven't bought any for 4 months now. Concerned as I really don't want to use stash, but is available. Ready for stores to get to normal. Don't miss all the planes flying over at all.

I went to get one of my trucks smoged for renewal. Gotta love all the taxes and fees in this state:mad:. I did find out our smog shop can do transfers (I have a “new“ truck to transfer) but it costs an Extra $50. They don’t know when DMV will be open again so I guess I have no choice. I hear there’s some sort of temporary online system but I don’t trust that at all. I’ve seen how well they handle these type of things. Glad the fee will go to one of our local businesses at least.
Was absolutely blown away and saddened by what I saw while driving through our little towns. Absolutely no social diatancing. 2 masks total (3 if you counted me) TONS of people out and about. I saw no concern for touching faces or sanitizing Surfaces. I definitely can not say it looked different from normal. Its so sad to see our little town turn just as bad as the big cities.

This morning's online check of my bank balance showed the return of my tax money from the Federal Economy Stimulus program is pending.

Asked the wife how many credit cards she has balances on. She said she's down to one. Told her she could use $1,200 of the FES money towards her CC debt. She's happy. She did have balances on three CCs.

All this BS has meant for me is more work and difficulties doing it as so many are working from home and don’t have access to answers. The small business assistance being promoted is a joke. 3 days is going on 3 weeks. We are not holding our breath. 2 years after Hurricane Katrina only 30% of the apps had been processed. That was one small area, this the whole nation. Bureaucrats will take care of any available funds. If anyone is bored and likes doing end if month, end of quarter, and end of year taxes, I’ll trade you for a week. I could use a break.

I went to get one of my trucks smoged for renewal. Gotta love all the taxes and fees in this state:mad:. I did find out our smog shop can do transfers (I have a “new“ truck to transfer) but it costs an Extra $50. They don’t know when DMV will be open again so I guess I have no choice. I hear there’s some sort of temporary online system but I don’t trust that at all. I’ve seen how well they handle these type of things. Glad the fee will go to one of our local businesses at least.
Was absolutely blown away and saddened by what I saw while driving through our little towns. Absolutely no social diatancing. 2 masks total (3 if you counted me) TONS of people out and about. I saw no concern for touching faces or sanitizing Surfaces. I definitely can not say it looked different from normal. Its so sad to see our little town turn just as bad as the big cities.
California is as California does...😢

Here in Iowa it's an absolute ghost town. Well, except for Walmart, which seems to always have about 1/2 to 2/3 of the normal amount of cars in their lot. Of course, if people were actually shopping 1x per week it would be less than that. Some of the Walmart shoppers seem to be gravitating to DG. There's actually more cars than normal there. On Main Street in my little town, there's nothing, except at the realtor's office and the telephone/cable company office. Always cars there. But I'm not even seeing people walking their dogs any more. I'm guessing people are adjusting their habits to go out when there's nobody around, like 5 or 6 am...

I need to be setting out tomatoes and peppers.

High temps today 42 degrees with wind.

I need to be outside doing farm projects.

Geeeze , I spent half of last year getting 2 new knees ....so I'd be ready for this Spring and summer, and here I sit wishing I could be working outside.

Enough complaining..

It's gonna be beautiful Friday.

I'm happy to be in a nice warm house, plenty to eat.

Hope y'all have a great day.

Jim

I've been sitting here feeling crappy about this whole Corona situation, but a phone call has reminded me that I've got it pretty good, really...

I'm still working. Many aren't...
I haven't gotten the 'Rona, even though I've flown to Denver and San Francisco since Jan. 1st...
None of my immediate family has gotten the 'Rona. My daughter is healthy and coping fairly well with the social distancing...

I'm kind of ashamed of myself for feeling bad. Let's count our blessings, everybody. It sucks out there, but it could be a lot worse...

Strawberry is laying beside me in the recliner snoring as usual.
Working on second block of 12 for queen size cross stitch quilt.
Took the sashing strips off the twin size cross stitched quilt blocks.
Plain and simple didn't like it, so will change something else.
Like lime green, did I mention, I'm not your everyday run of the mill quilter.
I like color, like lime green, fuchsia for the sashing strips for the twin size quilt.
Finished up the ham and beans for lunch.
Still have leftover ham though.
Just sitting here cross stitching on my second block.
Have a wonderful day.
Chilly, here.

One of mine is in Cali and said they aren't allowed to go outside unless they're going to the store, work, or getting exercise. Can't say much else.
>>I used the online option (it is not temporary) a couple of months ago so I would not have to go in to the gov building to take care of registration renewal and sticker. Never got it in the mail and had to go in to the gov building to take care of it a day or so before it expired. Grumble grumble gripe gripe.
A lot of people are now getting out and about. My offspring went to the store a few days ago and upon their return they looked at me and said "WE GOT MORE TOILET PAPER." I had to laugh. "MOM! It's not funny!"
@Spikedriver true it is good to have a job and be getting paid. I wished I was having time off like everyone else so I asked for it and of course it was granted but I don't get paid for my time off. I haven't had any time off (like a week) since last year at this time. Totally need a break. But of course now the state parks are closed.

Busy, busy day today, so far.

Went to local grocery and Dollar General for DH. Did precautions when I got home.

Then--made rice to go with dog's food, made Chili (with chicken) in slow cooker, made coleslaw so DH can have chili dogs with slaw, hard boiled some eggs, did one load of laundry, took my walk and then made a Loquat Upside Down Cake from the loquats given to me by neighbor. I'm done!

All this BS has meant for me is more work and difficulties doing it as so many are working from home and don’t have access to answers. The small business assistance being promoted is a joke. 3 days is going on 3 weeks. We are not holding our breath. 2 years after Hurricane Katrina only 30% of the apps had been processed. That was one small area, this the whole nation. Bureaucrats will take care of any available funds. If anyone is bored and likes doing end if month, end of quarter, and end of year taxes, I’ll trade you for a week. I could use a break.

LadyL I have hard times with it but try to fight it. None of us has ever had something like this to deal with,its a war without any enemy to fight back or even reconize..:(.
I'm just hoping they don't take away the only outlet they have left us, the internet to stay in touch with family,friends and each other here. :huggs:

Did the 6am senior shopping at walmart this morning. Got everything I needed/wanted.
Breakfast was sausage egg and cheese sandwiches for us both
Helped hubby with the joists for the new deck
Gave Bella a new rope which she promptly layed down with and shredded. geesh
Could not get warm today at all. Still can't and its 76 here in the room. Otherwise I feel fine. Just tired and cold
Leftovers for supper
Supposed to be rainy/snowy tomorrow morning so I plan on doing laundry
I'm used to staying home so the only difference now for me is helping hubby when he needs me and a change in the grocery shopping habit. Otherwise its just like any other day/week. Although I do think about the kids/adults I worked with and how they're doing with all this. Some of them will not be understanding the change in routine. And some are medically fragile

Slow day today, get up, give the cat his insulin, let the chickens out, fill the chicken feeder, fill the bird feeder (The chickens love to eat the seeds the birds toss on the ground), fill out my vote by mail ballot, paid the bills, make supper, next is watch Alton Brown on youtube for his weekly "Quarantine Quitchen" episode :)

Too funny!!! During the early local news out of Birmingham a photo was displayed on air. This photo traveled 170 miles during one of the 15 tornadoes that hit my state Sunday night.

A cousin down the road called my mom all excited… she said the photo was of my parents & niece on my niece’s wedding day. This cousin also called everyone in the community with this news.

I saw the photo when it aired again at 6pm. It’s not of my parents or my niece. I have no idea who those people are! The community gossips have been melting the phone lines since debating was it them or not. Was NO one listening? It’s not them! I think I should be able to recognize my own parents!

The scary and funnier part… For several years now the lady who saw the photo at 4pm drives her husband everywhere they need to go because he can no longer see to drive! 🤪

I spent most of the day running errands, groceries etc. I’m exhausted after 2 nights of very little sleep and all the driving today.

Last edited:
In a 5 hour span I had to explain to a group of local politicians that we would NOT participate in enforcing any kind of mandatory shelter in place ordinance, went and bought a 12 pack of toiler paper for a single mom who called 911 crying because she didn't know what else to do, went and flashed my lights and hit my siren for a boy who's birthday was today, received a call from my Mom telling me her brother/my uncle had passed away, went around thanking each of our dispatchers for their service as it is national public safety telecommunicators week (giving them each a gift card and a 10 pack of KN95 masks), delivered a death message to a woman's who son took his own life as the Lieutenant who should have done this just had his 1st cousin take his own life a week ago, and came home with a smile on my face so I could cook dinner and help the kids with their homework. Not a typical day, but not completely out of the ordinary either. Fortunately God keeps in perfect peace all who's eyes are fixed on Him.

Tried and failed to rain all day. Then an hour ago I went to the neighbors to do chores(they are gone for a couple days) and when I was just about done it started to pour down.

We got rain and snow and sleet and more slush...... Woke up to everything beeping to let me know that the power had come back on. My incubator was down to 90°. Hope it didn't hurt the eggs.

Had a video conference with a group 18 or so folks involved in all the stuff that will go into our new fire department/security building. I had submitted the quote for our part of the project before I went to working from home, over a month ago. Hadn't heard anything as of last week, so I got back in touch with the project manager. he informed me he would get me the cost codes to start buying. As of meeting time I still hadn't heard a word. Once he got to my part of the project he gave out dates starting April 27 for us to get started. I ask if he had the cost codes so I could start buying material. I'll get them to you today he said (and by 2:30 he had). So now I am scrambling to get orders placed, find replacements for anything that isn't available with the CV going on, and start lining up the other crafts that will help us out in installation.
Nothing like some unneeded pressure. I'm also going to have to go on site and discuss the area we are going to be working in to start with so no other folks will be scheduled in the same area. We are installing 5 antennas on a 100' tower and running coax to each of them and thru an underground conduit into the facility as first part of our project. I've got to write a work plan (safety related) for the work on the tower as we will have one climber going to the top and 2 bucket trucks reaching up to the 75' level. I'll have 7-8 folks on this part of the project. Fun times I'm telling you.

One of mine is in Cali and said they aren't allowed to go outside unless they're going to the store, work, or getting exercise. Can't say much else.
>>I used the online option (it is not temporary) a couple of months ago so I would not have to go in to the gov building to take care of registration renewal and sticker. Never got it in the mail and had to go in to the gov building to take care of it a day or so before it expired. Grumble grumble gripe gripe.
A lot of people are now getting out and about. My offspring went to the store a few days ago and upon their return they looked at me and said "WE GOT MORE TOILET PAPER." I had to laugh. "MOM! It's not funny!"
Ya that’s the story but the generally aren’t “enforcing“ it and it seems far to many feel like they shouldn’t follow the order.🤷🏻‍♀️
I generally pay my regis online as to avoid the ridiculousness of dmv. Haven’t had any problems with that one. This is a new temporary site for the stuff you’re usually required to handle in person. No thanks on that mess.

Latest posts

Back