What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had to collect the eggs four times a day, or they crack and freeze and are no good.
Kids went to school, husband and I went to the Amish restaurant for breakfast this morning, and it was good.
Back home, the propane truck came by to top off before the prices jump.
Getting ready to go to Aldi. They have strawberries advertised, and I'd like to make some freezer jam.

Well it's been a day...or 2.

Power went out Monday morning at 9:30 Turned on last night at 8:00. Monday night we slept in the house and froze. I've never worn so many clothes at once. We thought it got down to 40 degrees in the house, then discovered that was as low as the thermostat went. Brought in a thermometer and it was 34 degrees in the house. Was wishing that DH had let me order the propane stove a month ago when I wanted to. He didn't see the need for it. I think he does now. I ordered it this morning.
Yesterday, we pretty much moved into the car. We both had full tanks of gas. We were going to sleep out there if we had too. So glad it came back on.
DH had to go get his friend today and take him shopping. The roads near our town are worse than out in the country.

So far today, I've done an exercise video.
Changed a couple of appointments.
Have a full crock pot of black beans going. I intend to have enough leftover to PC a few pints.
Will make yellow rice and cornbread to go with later.
I still have to cut up carrots and cheese for dog treats.

There is still a good bit of snow on the ground and plenty of ice!
Come on Spring!!!

It has been a bad week for us, my best friend since we were 11 yr old son killed himself last Thursday night,he was 49 the youngest liking 6 months of our kids. We don't know why but he has always been kinda sad sack but nobody thought he would do that of course. His 53 y.o. sister found him so she is very upset too. He shot himself in the side.
He was real heavy into guns worked at a gun shop. He lived in apt in his sisters basement. He has 2 kids 32 and 23 Y.O..A good man. He was in a lot of pain with is back and didn't want to get back on pain meds. He was drinking. I haven;t seen him in about 10 yr.s. I'm mostly listen when I check on her don't know what to say.

Well it's been a day...or 2.

Power went out Monday morning at 9:30 Turned on last night at 8:00. Monday night we slept in the house and froze. I've never worn so many clothes at once. We thought it got down to 40 degrees in the house, then discovered that was as low as the thermostat went. Brought in a thermometer and it was 34 degrees in the house. Was wishing that DH had let me order the propane stove a month ago when I wanted to. He didn't see the need for it. I think he does now. I ordered it this morning.
Yesterday, we pretty much moved into the car. We both had full tanks of gas. We were going to sleep out there if we had too. So glad it came back on.
DH had to go get his friend today and take him shopping. The roads near our town are worse than out in the country.

So far today, I've done an exercise video.
Changed a couple of appointments.
Have a full crock pot of black beans going. I intend to have enough leftover to PC a few pints.
Will make yellow rice and cornbread to go with later.
I still have to cut up carrots and cheese for dog treats.

There is still a good bit of snow on the ground and plenty of ice!
Come on Spring!!!

We had a uce storm in Atlants in thr mid 70s, we had just moved into apt all of us on thr floor under a few blankets glass of water tutned into glass of ice. Hope all of you are ok and it lets up soon.

Strawberry's bedding has been washed, dried placed back in her kennel.
She's in there rearranging as I type this.
1 load of laundry washed, dried and put away.
Strawberry's bedding washed, dried, back in kennel.
Washing the last load now.
Dishes are done.
Have several days of leftovers.
So good on food.
Floors dusted.
Learned something new today about my little dryer.
You can use a lint roller to clean the screen on it.
That worked out well for me today.
For some reason standing on my head to clean lint filter makes me faint.
I would just as soon not do that.
Snowed last night again, still.

It has been a bad week for us, my best friend since we were 11 yr old son killed himself last Thursday night,he was 49 the youngest liking 6 months of our kids. We don't know why but he has always been kinda sad sack but nobody thought he would do that of course. His 53 y.o. sister found him so she is very upset too. He shot himself in the side.
He was real heavy into guns worked at a gun shop. He lived in apt in his sisters basement. He has 2 kids 32 and 23 Y.O..A good man. He was in a lot of pain with is back and didn't want to get back on pain meds. He was drinking. I haven;t seen him in about 10 yr.s. I'm mostly listen when I check on her don't know what to say.
Sorry for your friends loss.
Sorry for the confusion, pain everyone is suffering right now.

@Meerkat, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how hard that is.

She is a little better today hardest part is not knowing what to say so I mainly just listen. I have told her to call if she needs me and offered to go there but she said not to worry she would be more worfried about us breaking down on the way. I had already mentioned before our van keeps jumping in and out of gear. She does have her and her ex husband family there. And of course her 5 grandkids. Ijust talked to her a few minutes ago. They wil have a video funeral online. No person to person services.

What type of basement foundation do you have for the beam posts?
I took some pictures to answer your question.

There is a cinder block wall in the basement that supports pillars.

20210217_125730.jpg

20210217_125737.jpg

Those pillars and columns support a beam that spans from one side of the house to the other. Looking up from the basement you can see the base of the beam supporting the roof beam.

20210217_125745_HDR.jpg

Looking at the base of the beam from the main floor you can see the 2x12s that supports the upright beam and floor joists.

20210217_130019.jpg

Take care

Ben

Busy morning girlfriend's car broke down so I got a real early start. Two new post in and part of the temp. wall is out and looks great. My brother will be surprised View attachment 59486View attachment 59487View attachment 594899View attachment 59490
@Firepolice271 was a beast today. It amazing how much he can do when he doesn't sleep. He finished up supporting the roof and getting everything level while cleaned up behind him. At the end of the day...

20210217_153421.jpg

It is interesting how big the place looks with interior walks replaced.

Behave

Ben

We went and shoveled my inlaws driveway and walks and shoveled several of their retired neighbors places as well. There was a house in that subdivision that Jake really wanted to stop and shovel. I knew the woman that lived there she is a single mother with a pretty daughter Jakes age. I think Jake made a few brownie points today.

shoveling.jpg

I got out today.
Took the beast truck.
It needed driving anyway.
Wife needed bananas .So I drove 12 miles each way to Walmart for bananas
My hill driveway still has a little ice on it , the beast , in 4x4 skuudered a little bit up the hill.
Made it just fine.
Wife's happy.

"Have beast will travel"😎

Started snowing just as I got home.

Jim

We went and shoveled my inlaws driveway and walks and shoveled several of their retired neighbors places as well. There was a house in that subdivision that Jake really wanted to stop and shovel. I knew the woman that lived there she is a single mother with a pretty daughter Jakes age. I think Jake made a few brownie points today.

View attachment 59522

Gotta give the kiddo points for that. It'll go a long ways with the parents too.

I've been looking for a hotel in Santa Fe. After reading the reviews even the 4+ star hotels sound like pits! I may have to look along the route home. I could make the round trip in a day but the driving there and working with the dog trainer will be to much for the kid. She doesn't travel well.

He was drinking. I haven;t seen him in about 10 yr.s
We don't know each other Meerkat, but I am sorry for your loss. Please do not get mad if I say something tho. You said he was your best friend since childhood but you had not seen him in 10 years...can't understand the sentence. I have left all my friends in America to come to Germany with my wife, left all my friends in Germany to come to Hungary to retire since I can't afford to live in Germany any more...I would love to be able to visit my friends again...go visit your friends more often, they may have problems just like the one you lost and are needing consoling from someone like you so they stay alive...stay in contact my friend...it is not your fault he is gone, that was his decision, but maybe he would have decided otherwise if, if, if, things had gone different...nothing is more valuable than a true friend...Gary

I've been looking for a hotel in Santa Fe.

Last week I had to get a room in Birmingham. Hotels were at half capacity but still trying to charge full prices. I stayed at the place I usually stay with Tom Bodett. It has everything I need, the VA is 3 miles away, some of the very best restaurants in the entire city are within a mile, even Lebanese food.

I've been watching weather for 3 days and staying warm inside. Mopped all the floors yesterday. Vacumed all the rugs today. I need a few groceries, looks like the weather will break tomorrow so a trip to town is on...

Got up this morning thinking I would get some light bulbs, walked outside, sleet coming down, driveway is like a sky-jump, all ice..... I don't really need those bulbs.... ;)

The weather is expected to be ugly till Friday... That's nice.... I have enough wood in the house to do a couple of days if the power goes out, so we are as ready as we are going to be.....

The son got home last night, he will be visiting for a few days. I have a range day on saturday (if the roads clear), it would be fun to go shooting together.

I'll be doing 3 things today , now that I've had my coffee and stoked up the fire.

I'll be vacuum sealing a bunch of pasta shells , and spaghetti , that I been buying lots of over past couple months.

I'll be going outside and gathering a dish pan of snow , and make snow cream 🍨.

Then I'll be dressing warm and plowing the driveway , hopefully , the last time this year.
We got 4" last night.
Mid to upper 50s next week.

But gotta be able to get in and out until then.

I think I'll start seeing daffodils next week 😎😁.

Hope y'all have a wonderful Thursday.

Jim

I've been looking for a hotel in Santa Fe. After reading the reviews even the 4+ star hotels sound like pits! I may have to look along the route home. I could make the round trip in a day but the driving there and working with the dog trainer will be to much for the kid. She doesn't travel well.
I've spent several weekends in Santa Fe over the years. It can be really busy there with all of the festivals that go on there. Forget finding rooms during holidays. Valentines weekend is always impossible. Out on Ceritos (?) is or was a place, a motel, that was great and allowed dogs. I cannot find it online, but I think the last time I was there, a few years ago, it had new owners, so they may have changed the name. It was called something like the Wagon Wheel. It may have been the Silver Saddle which I found, but cannot confirm it as the place. It had an art place, maybe a market, connected to it, across the parking lot. It is an older place, but they seemed to be updating it.

We got snow around dinner time last night, close to 4 inches. I got up this morning to drive a few blocks to feed a cat and saw someone not able to stop at a traffic light. They laid on their horn and slid right through! I didn't think the roads were that bad, but this person may not have been fully attending to their driving.

It was enough for me to consider begging off of taking D & Z to the dog park this morning. Roads will probably be fine and I know how much dogs like to run and chase in the snow. It is 21 degrees currently, so not that cold, but it is only supposed to get up to 30 degrees today. The roads will clear up, in spite of not being above freezing, because the sun is shining, like it does most days in Colorado.

I feel really lucky with the weather, we made a jackrabbit and veggie stew in the backyard today. I sat in a T-shirt and barefeet in front of the fire and stewpot. I got up to 70° F around 2pm and stayed warm till around 6pm when the sun went down...supposed to be like that all week, I hope the weather frog is not lying again, got lots to do putting up new posts in the vineyard for the grapes...Gary

It may have been the Silver Saddle which I found, but cannot confirm it as the place. It had an art place, maybe a market, connected to it, across the parking lot. It is an older place, but they seemed to be updating it.

We stayed there back in 2007 or 2008, I think. We were headed to Chama. We liked it because we could have the two schnauzers with no problem. I took lots of photos at the market next to it! Thanks for the memory!

We stayed there back in 2007 or 2008, I think. We were headed to Chama. We liked it because we could have the two schnauzers with no problem. I took lots of photos at the market next to it! Thanks for the memory!
So awesome! Thank you!
It is a quaint place and it is not too high priced, as places closer to the plaza can be.
Santa Fe has had some really nice restaurants over the years with world renowned chefs. It is part of what draws people, besides all of the art.

Latest posts

Back