What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was chasing around a crazed mean Rhode Island Red Rooster this am before work, in my bathrobe, no less. I opened up a chicken run to feed them as soon as daylight hit, and he came full at me, so I stepped to the side. Of course, he kept right on charging, so I booted him. Chased him with a broom to try to get him back in the run, and gave up. I couldn't put our three chicken killing dogs outside till something was done with the rooster. Our son came by a while later and caught him. He will soon be a meal. Then grocery shopping, then work. I need to do chores and start making some banana bread, lemon bread, zucchini bread...we have Ham Radio Tech Fest this weekend and I bring the morning treats and do the registration/sign ins.

gumpy, where you at? Hope your doing better today and the rain has let up.
Doing better health wise. Muscles quit spasming around 4AM. Slept till 8, so feel better. Hopefully they won't start up again tonight. All I've done today is help wife at the laundromat, put another security light over the new lumber, and put in a whole house filter for the camper. Tonight's church night so I'm laying in bed resting!
Rain has let up some right now. We've only bout an inch this morning. Heavy rain starting at 7pm thru Saturday PM. 8-9 inches total! Let her rain! Lol.
Y'all behave and thanks for the concern.

Thought I overslept this morning for watching grand daughter.
Had to defrost ice off windshield.
Seemed to have forgotten I have heated leather seats in car.
Got over to grand daughter's mom's house.
Found out today is my day off.
Have her tomorrow instead of today.
Have done nothing but sleep.
I can't say I blame you after that kind of start!

I got a call this morning from one of my clients whose dog was sick and making a mess all over the house. She had a training for her new job, so I went and sat with both of her dogs this morning, leaving twice to visit other client's dogs. The worst was over by the time I got there, but their house is less than 2 years old and the carpet was taking a big hit. The dog that was sick is a particularly lovable dog. He was found in a dumpster with the rest of his litter less than a year ago. I believe that some of them did not make it. He stays in a crate when no one is home with him, because he wreaks havoc otherwise. When the door to the crate is opened, he shoots out of there like a rocket, races to the stairs, up and down and all around. His tail can hurt a person. He is adorable! Both of their dogs are part lab, and the cutie seems to be part pit. Both are wonderful dogs.

I am still dog sitting with another dog. My last visit today will be in less than an hour. Then I will go home and get ready for my 4 day gig of house and dog sitting.

Been having crappy weather here and it is set to be this way for the next couple weeks. Did take a short hike today in the wind with the sky spitting a little snow. Saw no animals and barely cut any tracks. Everything is holding tight waiting for nicer weather(just like me).

I took my scooter down to the bottoms this afternoon to do a little plant hunting. I was looking for spotted wintergreen (Chimaphila maculate). I know it grows on that hillside. I’ve seen it before. It’s also known as “Pipsissewa”. It’s a medicine used to treat acute kidney problems and urinary tract issues today.

It’s an evergreen and tiny, rarely more than 3 inches tall, a pretty little plant. :)

Today this is what we've done -
DH put a load of washing on and hung it on the clothes line and we brought it back in as it started raining.
I deep cleaned the bathroom and toilet for the week.
DH vacuumed the vinyl floors and I mopped them.
DH washed the dishes and cleaned the benches and I wiped them and put them away and gave all the outside of the kitchen cupboards a clean with soapy water.
Dinner guests tonight so DH has made our magic mix chocolate pudding that we will have with tinned fruit and we are making a tuna pasta bake with garden veges from the freezer.
Heading out for home teaching with DH to a friend's home then back home to heat up the pasta bake and entertain our 2 guests for the evening.

Here is a pic of Pipsissewa, spotted wintergreen, there are actually three different species called pipsissewa and they all look a little different but are used the same way medicinally. It is a tiny plant most folks would never notice...;)

Pip 02.jpg

Attachments

• pip.jpg
    pip.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Not sure yet. Hopefully taking my wheelchair back to the DME company, because I no longer need it. But, only if our roads have thawed out and are safe.

We keep a wheelchair and walker here. It is best to have one in case you need it. I carry it in our van too sometimes hubby can't stand to walk so he uses that instead of public riders but he has to really be hurting to use it . No motor just push powered by me.

I've used the walker when my knee goes out every couple years .

I took my scooter down to the bottoms this afternoon to do a little plant hunting. I was looking for spotted wintergreen (Chimaphila maculate). I know it grows on that hillside. I’ve seen it before. It’s also known as “Pipsissewa”. It’s a medicine used to treat acute kidney problems and urinary tract issues today.

It’s an evergreen and tiny, rarely more than 3 inches tall, a pretty little plant. :)

Scooters are nice! I just have a bike but not the hills you have so here bike is fine. It has forward pedals so easy on the back and knees. Of course dirt roads will give me a heck of a workout in the sand.

Doing a little bit of everythign today. But not a lot of much.

I will never, never, ever take having a bath or shower for granted again!!
I'm glad you live down wind of me!
img24.gif

Scooters are nice! I just have a bike but not the hills you have so here bike is fine. It has forward pedals so easy on the back and knees. Of course dirt roads will give me a heck of a workout in the sand.

Doing a little bit of everythign today. But not a lot of much.
To me, a scooter or a bike has 2 wheels and an engine. Preferably made in USU or England!

We have two sizes of crutches, my husbands walker and rollator collection(he had to find the perfect fit), and a bunch of canes. He leaves a cane at the farm, at work, at home, in the car...
I figure these will get used by me at some point.

Hubby would be lost without his cane. He has a few too, our son brought him one back from Asia hand carved it has a dragon with ball in its mouth because he knows hubby never is without his cane.

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago we made a doggie door thru screen door on porch . So now no more playing doorman for dogs. I put weights on bottom of screen but of course they fell off since I was in a hurry and di a bad sewing job. But it works good anyway screen flops back into place .

Plus since old dog has trouble with steps we now have a ramp in case we need it for walker or wheelchair .

A couple weeks ago we made a doggie door thru screen door on porch . So now no more playing doorman for dogs. I put weights on bottom of screen but of course they fell off since I was in a hurry and di a bad sewing job. But it works good anyway screen flops back into place .

Plus since old dog has trouble with steps we now have a ramp in case we need it for walker or wheelchair .
Nothing beats planning ahead!

This morning I killed 9 fireant nests that were close to my bee hive. This afternoon it got really hot here. ;)

Fire 2 (1)_v1.png
Fire 2 (2)_v1.png
Fire 2 (3)_v1.png
Fire 2 (4)_v1.png
Fire 2 (5)_v1.png
Fire 2 (6)_v1.png

I burned off a 17-acre hayfield. An uncle came up with his “fire drip”. The humidity in the air and moisture in the grass was just right for burning. The wind was out of the south so we started off on the north edge of the field burning 20ft strips. Once we got 100yrds out from the woods we started lighting 80-yard strips.

It went off without a hitch. We were done in less than 2 hours. The only annoying part is the field wraps around the hill. There isn’t one place where you can see the whole field so there was a lot of walking making sure the fire break I plowed wasn’t crossed.

Oh, I wanted to add, getting a burn permit is really easy now. I went to the state forestry service website. There link for “Do You Need a Burn Permit”. I followed the link and there is a satellite map. I zoomed in until I could see my field. I clicked the center of the field and a little popup appeared giving me latitude and longitude. I wrote down the numbers and called the number provided. I gave the lady the lat/long numbers and she gave me a burn permit number. I was number 114 so there were a lot of other folks burning fields today. :)

Latest posts

Back