What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#metoo. Its really bad, a subtle, creepy, boring and depressing apocalypse.

Midnight diner. Although its not free of LGTB, its not the point of the show, just an attribute of some of the characters. Its about a tiny little eight seat restaurant in japan in a back alley that is only open between midnight and 6AM with a chief who will cook anything you order if you bring the ingredients. Various people come in with various problems that he seems to always be able to solve. Its a little like a Japanese version of 'Cheers'.

Also, its a cooking show, at the end of each episode there is a mini cooking lesson on whatever the signature dish was of that episode.

Certainly a weird show, but one I really like.

For some reason netflix has broken it up into two listings, Midnight Diner, which is the first four seasons, and Midnight Diner, tokoyo stories, which is the rest of the seasons.

Thanks! I watched one episode. It's ...a little boring but ok if I need relaxing before going to sleep.
Did watch the absolute worst vampire show I have seen so far...."midnight mass" . I forwarded through a ton of it. Basically an entire town of Catholics can't figure out they are being turned into vampires because the priest tells them it was an angel of the lord that made him young and healthy again , and immortal...don't watch, it's pretty stupid.

Thanks! I watched one episode. It's ...a little boring but ok if I need relaxing before going to sleep.

Its definitely not edge of your seat material, I just don't have a big selection of asian subtitled shows to recommend that aren't anime....

If you want more action, there is the South Korean version of Designated Survivor.

Same plot as the American version, but remade in south Korea, same basic plot, someone blows up their main building and kills their entire leadership except for one junior minister type guy who ends up as president.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81072109

Hiked up the mountain a ways. I am slowly working myself up to the top, haven't been there since my accident in 2019. It's very very steep and some climbing required.
Was supposed to get hay delivered, but it didn't arrive. Hopefully it will get here tomorrow.
Worked on trying to remove some more weeds in the pasture the sheep are in. They are less tolerant to eating weeds than the goats, so we are trying to make at least one pasture all grass. Only now I am not sure if the grass left is ok or not. And if not ( fescue?) how to get rid of it. I would say my biggest lack of knowledge is in botany. I had lots of water biology classes in college but when it comes to plants not much. If you look online, you get so much conflicting information, it's really pointless. I need to know what weeds are what, what trees, what grass. You can't even get good info on what is harmful to goats. Some websites completely contradict other ones, and some "official" university websites would have you think everything other than grass is harmful to goats which , if that was the case all of ours would be dead by now . They eat oak leaves, fruit tree leaves, ragweed, goldenrod ( I think that's what it is) , poison ivy, thorny bushes, I have even seen one eat the purple flowers off thistles
They never eat any sort of squash leaves, or tomato plants.

Woohoo...got through about 6 boxes of books. Some were put on our shelves, others in the back seat of the truck to be donated. Found another garbage bag full of stuffed animals that'll be donated. Teen granddaughter isn't thrilled....I brought in 2 very large boxes with her name on them that have been in there over a year. She asked why she can't put them back.
Ha Ha. I told her I'd donate the junk if she doesn't want it. Otherwise it needs to fit in her bedroom.

Jim, Looks like a nice place! Love how the mover was posing for the picture.

I got in some rest today. Looked for my phone again (still no luck) looked for my cat (also no luck) but stumbled quite literally over packages that were misdelivered to my door. Neighbor got 50lb sacks of dog food in a box that was ripped. It's blocking the steps to get off the porch easily. I looked at the label and saw that the road name was different (neighbor's family name instead of my family name). so I think they are trying to change our road name-- explains why they stole our street sign when their old man died. I'm going to have to call the police jury guy tomorrow about it and make sure they don't get the name changed. From what I understand, they need to have a petition signed by the people who live on the road to get it changed and we do not consent. I hope he's the right person to call. Street sign has been down for months & they still haven't replaced it so I think the name is in dispute.

I'm about to cook for my mom in a bit. I'm not feeling great-- think I got agitated over the package thing. I called and someone is supposed to come get the package off my porch. I used to have my street numbers on my gate but since it got knocked down in a hurricane it's not visible anymore. Still need to get that fixed.

Ran to the bank to pay rent.

On the way home I dropped off one of the crocks I received that broke at Fedex to be sent back. In and out.

We stopped at the grocery store so I can grab some fresh bananas. I have 3 over ripe ones on the counter but having some fresh ones would be nice. Did a sweep of the store for clearance items to add to preps. They are spacing out the aisles making them wider by a few inches but in the end it will take out a few complete aisles. I know they are doing this to hide gaps and empty shelves as items will soon be gone for good. I will run back this evening when K is home so I can really get a good look at what is left and if I really need to stock up of some items before they are gone.

Made banana bread with the over ripe bananas. Waste not, want not.

I am plotting out my rabbit breeding plan for Jan. All our buns will be 6 months and of breeding age then. I might ask the breeder I got the mixed breed doe if I can breed my Rex doe with one of her mixed bucks. I am still thinking about it. I want to see the Rex's weight at 6 months first.

I bush hogged a few hours this afternoon. I no sooner got started than the hitch pin got knocked out (rough ground). Instead of bringing me a real hitch pin when I hooked up monday dad grabbed and old bolt out of the shop and a piece of wire. (the grtnephew lost the pin that I'd kept on the tractor for 20years).

So today after the bushog came loose and the pto shaft came apart I had to drive back to the shop and find a real hitch pin. Took me 20min to get hooked back up. It was on a very steep hill, a really bad place to try to hook up a tractor (what a pia).

Anyway, took me about 2 hrs to finish bushogging in that holler. Afterwards I cut the 3 acre holding pen by the corral. Of course I had to stop and take some plant pictures, american beautyberry...

Beautyberry sep21 3 a.JPG

Last edited:
Peanut, we have the beautyberries in our yard too. When my uncle was down visiting he asked if he could collect some of them so he could try to plant them up in Virginia. I think that was back when he lived in a condo. He's since moved to an assisted living complex (because of my aunt's health). He has his own gardening group called "The Funny Farm". He's registered as a master gardener. He likes to plant food producing plants as well as flowers that attract butterflies. He's always loved butterflies.

Dog stepped on my head and woke me up again. It's a bit chilly in here so the cats are piled on me. Sir Hammington is keeping my feet warm. Aminatu is on my knees, and Mewlatto is on my chest (I'm reclining).

I'm hoping the weather will get cool enough for me to go out with some hedge clippers or something and start cutting down some of the blackberry bushes and weeds that are surrounding the sidewalk and blocking the air conditioner. I also need to take out the "pig grass" that is covering the burn pile. The guy who owes us nearly $1k worth of yard work has ghosted me and I don't know if my friend would be able to help with that stuff with his health issues. He's been feeling pretty weak between the blood clots & recovering from Covid. As an aside, his gf really hates working at the McDonalds in Kinder so she wants to try to get a different job that is closer. She really wants to be a nurse but I think she'd suck at it. She's good at cleaning though so I suggested she see if she can get a job at the local hospital doing cleaning & that they would probably let her wear scrubs. She really wants to wear scrubs so she liked that idea. She went to get an application and confirmed they will let her wear scrubs. I don't think they require her to have a GED to work there as a cleaner.

Yesterday we took the wife to have her pacemaker checked, it's 5 years old and they say it has 1.7 years left (19 months?) any way that was good news. They are seeing more "events" in her transmitted data, but that's to be expected.

In the afternoon the wife tried to finish her sewing project and the bobbin carrier got out of time with the needle... :( I HATE plastic parts like gears in today's machines.... This is the second time in 2 years this has happened, the first time it took over 6 months to get it repaired because there are only 2 "factory" service centers in the US for that brand.... My response, I ordered a cheap "workhorse" type machine that should be here tonight so she can finish the project, then she can use it to sew until her good one returns from..... Then I get a machine that I can use on my hunting projects...

I finished up 2 big projects for work last night, I am so happy that is behind me, have 3 more waiting to get started....

My little solar backup battery/inverter box is in it's shake down phase, it's not hooked up to the solar yet but I am charging it and using it to power one of my growing stations, it is fun to watch the little monitoring display that I installed tick down the AH of battery storage remaining, it was a PIA to program but it appears to be working....

I am off tomorrow and it looks like a combination of cleaning and canning are going to dominate my long weekend..

I am a bit put off, as I have over extended my elbow and that takes bow hunting off the table till I can get some use back....

I bush hogged a few hours this afternoon. I no sooner got started than the hitch pin got knocked out (rough ground). Instead of bringing me a real hitch pin when I hooked up monday dad grabbed and old bolt out of the shop and a piece of wire. (the grtnephew lost the pin that I'd kept on the tractor for 20years).

So today after the bushog came loose and the pto shaft came apart I had to drive back to the shop and find a real hitch pin. Took me 20min to get hooked back up. It was on a very steep hill, a really bad place to try to hook up a tractor (what a pia).

Anyway, took me about 2 hrs to finish bushogging in that holler. Afterwards I cut the 3 acre holding pen by the corral. Of course I had to stop and take some plant pictures, american beautyberry...

My husband breaks that pin in the tractor all the time when he brushhogs since our land is full of big rocks ( we are on a mountain) so he just bought an entire bag of cheap bolts the right size to put in there instead of the expensive real thing and it works just fine

nice Beautyberries! I know what those are, we had them in the yard in Florida

@goshengirl Yes, beauty berry (Callicarpa americana) works as a decent insect repellent. It grows wild around here, usually at the edges of clearings. I just crush the leaves and rub them on exposed skin. It'll last about an hour.

Black walnut leaves work well also. I usually use them in the chicken coop to drive off mites.

However, dog fennel (Eupatorium capillifolium) is the first plant I look for. It grows in pastures. In early summer the stems are very pliable. I tie them around my ankles and wrists. It works great on ticks, flea's, mosquitoes, just about any insect. The Usda found a chemical in dog fennel a few years ago. It was synthesized and is now used to kill mosquitoes in standing water.

I once made a spray using dog fennel and beauty berry. Both contain chlorophyll which stains clothes and it soured after a few days. Somewhere I have a recipe for a spay someone made from beautyberry that is supposed to be more stable.

Publication : USDA ARS

Trying to close out all the FY stuff at work I can today. Got a board meeting for the radio group (501c3) tonight. I've been the president since it was founded. Gonna resign and hand it off to some else that is more active with the group. Ill stay on the board if they want me to, or not. No hard feelings either way. With everything else going on in the world thatll be one less thing to deal with

Went out to breakfast with husband at the amish place, went to the post office and to drop off a new wheelbarrow tire for goo and a stem at the auto place. Back home to meet the guys servicing our heater and quoting us on a better propane heater than one we have already. The one we have in the family room is small, made to look like it's burning logs, and is not vented.
Rain stopped, so maybe getting out to the big building to go through more boxes. Teen granddaughter's last day of quarantine (finally). Off to school she goes tomorrow, and we won't have to hear Miss Grouchiness. Ten days took forever.

Walked first.
Went to Walmart for monthly stock up and they were surprisingly well stocked! Except mason jar lids, of course. They even had some frozen veggies today. But wow! Prices were up on everything I bought!
Went to local market for meat sales.
Day old bread store for a loaf of my low calorie bread--they only had one loaf-- it's popular.
Stopped at one thrift store.
Looked for tires for my car--may get them from Walmart tomorrow.
Only thing left to do today is to get the food processor out and cut carrots, then sweet potatoes for dog treats. I'll make the sweet potato treats tomorrow, but nice to have them already cut.

The wife's new cheap-o sewing machine arrived, we have already set it up for her and she is making it sing.... So for it does not mind the heavy fabric, but it does not like to do the kind of precise sewing that she likes to do with her high end machine (which is currently down). At the rate she is going she will finish the current project tomorrow... It is good to see her happy.... I had planned to buy a couple more solar panels this payday, but sew goes it.. ;)

Took the girls to their field trip with the co-op at the local apple farm that does pioneer tours. Other than the hoop and stick nothing they saw was new to them the way it was to the other kids. They had the kids try out pioneer 'chores' and Roo was the best by far because she does the same type of chores in a primitive way. I did tease her that I would be getting a new washboard and she will be doing her laundry like that from now on. She was not happy about that. I was rolling by her response. I love teasing her.

Just getting daily chores done and Roo to finish her school work.

56AA6687-39D0-470D-B052-1F109D526FD1_1_201_a.jpeg
89702E3A-C6C5-4AC0-9AA4-92664DCBE9A1_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
The wife's new cheap-o sewing machine arrived, we have already set it up for her and she is making it sing.... So for it does not mind the heavy fabric, but it does not like to do the kind of precise sewing that she likes to do with her high end machine (which is currently down). At the rate she is going she will finish the current project tomorrow... It is good to see her happy.... I had planned to buy a couple more solar panels this payday, but sew goes it.. ;)
You chose wisely 😊

I got distracted yesterday so catching up.

Two lilac bushes planted behind retaining wall where The Princess wants a bench looking out over the ponds.

20210929_151414_HDR.jpg

Story time!

When i was very young my aunt took me on a walk to see the fish in the ponds. The owner sat in a wheel chair with a blanket over his legs as we sat on the bench watching the gold fish. He took the blanket off of his lap and looked over and wondered why he had two gold fish in his lap. Nope! What I thought were gold fish were his stumps. I was young so cut me a break.

20210929_151447_HDR.jpg

Service berries took up a position in the hedge row.

20210929_155745.jpg

I cleared the encroaching bushes from the path down to the stream bed so the lawn tractor can get down there.

20210929_164012_HDR.jpg

While working today I took a good look at the tree that grows in the corner of yard and had a "ah ha" moment. We purchased this property and got it rented out soon after replacing the flat roof and french drains so I never got a chance to see it fruit.

When I got home I told The Princess...

"I don't think we will ever get apples from that tree."

She asked why and i replied

"Because it is a cherry tree."

Ben

I called the police juror about the road name issue but only got an answering machine. I left a message but he never called back. Went to my friend's house and got two coats of paint on the cabinet (it dried fairly quickly this time). picked up my RX and some groceries. Back noped out on me so I'm trying to rest now. About to take a nap.

Mom's new insulin machine keeps giving errors & apparently needs to connect to at&t or t-mobile network to transmit data to work and there's no signal in the house. She had me take it with me into town to get signal and only after I returned she told me I was supposed to take it out and turn it on. But she wasn't mad bc she didn't communicate that to me and I asked "Do I need to do anything with it or just take it in to get signal?" and she said to just take it in.

I'm about to take a nap since my body is aching.

Looks like our neighbor will be working on our fencing tomorrow. Hooray today was a rain day, and he and his crew can't work on the project they were working on because of the mud. We have white wood fencing all out front and into our drive and one pasture and it's seen better days. We have a running list for him when he has time and not working on big projects. While he was here, I told him a story about his dog. His dog Chippie is a pup, and is the most hyper thing I've ever seen. He does well with their chickens and their horse (their buggy horse) and their cows. He is being trained to not cross the path that we have between our farms, and he does ok most of the time. Husband and I were taking a walk around the farm this afternoon (him on the scooter) and I see Chippie sitting at the path. The dog shows his teeth like he's smiling, so cute. So I call him and he comes for pets. He jumps constantly, and even jumps up to my cheek and licks it. This dog is insane. So we take a walk to the turkey run and Chippie follows. We have a huge mirror on the outside of the turkey run that I found real cheap at the thrift store. We put it there because the guineas are vain and love to look at themselves. Chippie looks in the mirror and freaks out. Never laughed so hard. He ran home.

I just bought a beautiful old Sears Kenmore sewing machine in a cabinet for $40. The machine is made by Janome, which is a good machine. It needed oil but runs like a dream, has all parts, attachments, disks for different stitches and a variety of feet. I have a cheapie portable machine that I hate using because it’s so lightweight and doesn’t ‘feel’ right. I really didn’t need it as I have my Mom’s very old Singer in a cabinet. But for $40 I just couldn’t pass it up. Look on marketplace or Craigslist. I see a lot of sewing machines being sold. I think you’ll find something very nice for a good price.

Dad got his new Levi's 501's today.
They're too big.
So he gets big boys Husky's.
Showed him how to order groceries online.
Then he can go pick up.
Or they will ship to his front door.
Put a roast in crock pot last night with sweet potato, Idaho potato,celery fresh green beans, fresh peas,carrots.
Had vegetables for lunch today.
Had company today which was a surprise.
Mainly because they showed up unannounced.
Got the floors scrubbed today.
My ex in laws are in town for the wedding.
Have a family dinner to go to tomorrow evening.
Then the wedding on Saturday evening.
Supposed to have thunderstorms all weekend.

Back