What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@UrbanHunter now why would the government want you to know what the actual inflation rate is on the things you use :rolleyes:. Doing similar over here and we know it is not 3.8% it is more like 30 - 40% if you take into account all the things you mention and we use.

Fuel for e10 here is $1.519 per litre and rising.

They are all just hoping we don't notice these things and panic :eek:.

Last edited:
Woke up in the middle of the night and my back was in flames (pain wise, wife didn't light me up), couldn't find a back brace, put smelly rub on it, no good.... So I went to the W-M and picked up a brace, while I was there I picked up 6 bottles of dish soap (only had 2 left) and some other stuff that we were low on... Then I bought gas for the car, you would have thought we moved to Kalifornia, just over $4/gal.... :( Now my back and my wallet hurt.....

Hope your back gets to feeling better, Urban! You're in the insomnia club, too.
Have some meatloaf to make for sandwiches for lunch. Have some corn muffins and bran muffins to make to bring to cousin's for dinner tonight. In betwen that is laundry and some cleaning today. What state are you in again, Urban? Your gas prices are a buck a gallon above ours.

@UrbanHunter now why would the government want you to know what the actual inflation rate is on the things you use :rolleyes:. Doing similar over here and we know it is not 3.8% it is more like 30 - 40% if you take into account all the things you mention and we use.

Fuel for e10 here is $1.519 per litre and rising.

They are all just hoping we don't notice these things and panic :eek:.

DH heard someone in the administration say that there are so many shortages because things are so good and selling so fast. That sounds like their spin! LOL

Already made jello and pudding this morning.
Next Sunday school and Church.
Take bag of elderberries off stems and repackage and re-freeze.
Look through some photos for my sister's quilt project.
Start typing up my travel updates from 2003 to 2011. That should be interesting!
Other than that, just hang out with DH!

Got the last batch of paper bricks pressed and set out to dry. Roo and Juju helps fill the press with the pulp. There is a chance of rain tomorrow so I'll move the racks into the garage for them to dry after dinner.

K got the wood rack cleaned up and moved a load of wood into the house to start the season. He got the fireplace set up and cleaned. The goal is to get twice the wood we used last year. We had plenty left to start this season but I want to have more than we will need for the entire season. You never know if you'll need it because it was a really cold year or if you needed to sell a little to a neighbor.

Now we are hanging out watching some Dukes of Hazzard with the girls. Roo is in love with the southern redneck life she sees in the show. I don't blame her. That is what life was like when I was really young in Kansas and Texas.

Slept late, had a great breakfast then went out and cut down a bunch of brush. Trying to get an area cleaned out so I can plant some trees this winter. Got about half done. I'll try and finish next day or 2 after work, then drag all the brush to the brush pile. Sister told me that was a heck of a way to spend my birthday. LOL Gotta make use of the daylight before the time change. Ended the day with an awesome supper.

Belated Happy Birthday, Backpacker! I hope you had a great day.

I went to Samsclub with my brother to get water. Grabbed a few other items. Got back into town & stopped by to see the friends who have the kitchen reno going. They had fixed the place up nicely before they let some "friends" rent it (not only did they never pay rent, but they wrecked the place). Its a disaster. I took more measurements and chatted with Lulu about what to do with the kitchen. Also gave her a late birthday present (she had Covid on her birthday so we couldn't see her). She told me my Sketchup drawings were really helping her visualize the room. I did discover there was a wall I didn't remember, so I had to draw that in.

Need to get to sleep now since I am getting teeth worked on tomorrow.

Thanks everybody. Just another day. Always bums me out now. 19 years ago had to bury my favorite mamaw on my birthday.
Hey @Bacpacker hope you enjoyed your birthday, so sorry/sad that it is now linked to the loss of someone you cared so deeply for....

Finally....
IMG_20211018_083505766_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211018_083457030_HDR.jpg

Jim

My back is still throbbing, just when I think it is getting better it reminds me that it is still there. The wife is complaining that I am leaving a Ben-Gay vapor trail through out the house.... So much for scent control. ;)
Don't know your issues, but if its muscular, try Theraworks. Phideau suggested it for spasms. It works. Amazon sells it

I have lots to catch up on but, went to Spokane for quilt show. Didn't know until we got there that it was canceled :mad: My aunt and I had planned a surprise in that she flew up from CA to join us at the QS then home so she could visit Pa (her bro.). She hadn't seen him for about 2 years - before he was so sick. It was still an enjoyable time, but the joke all weekend was : What do you want to do ? Well I don't want to go to a quilt show that's for sure. A wrong turn taken: I was going to go to a quilt show but there isn't one so I don't need to be on this road. 😂 We still ate too much and had a good time - went to antique and thrift shops. Hopped on over to Coeur d'Alene, ID since there is no pandemic on that side of state line. I noticed there is lots of "junk" in many of the antique shops - what might be or once was a nice piece, they paint or alter to make it trendy and ruin it. One very special thing I found was a Charlotte Bronte book "Shirley". My friend Shirley who passed in '15 and I both liked the Brontes. I never knew there was a book in her name so am now curious to read it. Kinda feel like I was supposed to find it 😊 Also, found several Christmas gifts so that is nice - that much less to find in the next 2 months. Have to run for now.
Hope you're all well.

After 3 weeks of searching I got a bushhog today. A kingkutter, arch top, 5ft lift type. It’s also their professional grade model. And at a somewhat reasonable price. The little town I bought it in has no local sales tax, just state and county which came to 6%. I’m a happy camper, now I have a safe piece of equipment to work with.

I called the store about noon, man said he had just gotten in 3. By the time I hooked up the trailer and drove 70 miles he’d sold 2 of them. I got the last one, it had been on back order since June. He said he'd talked to KingKutter that morning about another order… There is now a 17 week wait for new orders.

The factory is only 20 miles away! Had I picked highway A instead of B I'd have driven past the KingKutter factory on the way to buy one of their bushhogs.

I really like the arch top design. For those who may not know, most bushhogs have a flat top with structural framing welded on. If you leave it out in the weather water will stand on it. It takes years but it’ll eventually rust through. Water will not stand on an arch top but will run off. You can sort of see the arch in the photos.

King  01  2  a.JPG
King  01  3  a.JPG

LadyLocust, sorry the quilt show was canceled, but at least you still had fun.

Jim, the garage is looking great! I wish we had a garage. Mind if I ask how much it costs to get one built?

Dental visit went fine. Gums & side of my mouth/cheek are chewed up on the inside from all the scraping & moving. Dentist felt awful about it but said it was the only way she could get to the very back tooth in the top. I've had worse. She was afraid I'd be in pain and was saying she could write me a prescription for pain meds. I reminded her that I didn't even fill the rx or need pain medicine after I had my tooth pulled. She had to wait a little bit longer than usual for anesthetic to kick in because I'm resistant. It reacts slowly and it takes extra to actually work. I got there about 15min early so there was extra time for numbing. I'm supposed to eat soft foods to not irritate my mouth for the rest of the day. Already had some soup.

I'm trying to get my brain to calm down enough for a nap.

[QUOTE="zannej, post: 396444, member: 2303"

Jim, the garage is looking great! I wish we had a garage. Mind if I ask how much it costs to get one built?

[/QUOTE]

Excavation, concrete , stick built , 16' and 9' door and openers , metal roof and gutters.
24x38 , $30,000.

That's not including 4 loads (26 ton ea) of dense grade gravel, at $370/load.

Way too much because lumber and all materials are at a premium right now.

But I needed it really bad.
Now I gotta run electrical...wire is extremely expensive right now.i figure $600+ for all electrical.

Jim

Helped a family member port their home phone number to their cell phone.

Mowed.

Installed a motion activated video flood light by the rear garbage door. Viewable from anywhere in the world. No second party fees. So far I’m impressed. Plan on purchasing a second for the other door.

[QUOTE="zannej, post: 396444, member: 2303"

Excavation, concrete , stick built , 16' and 9' door and openers , metal roof and gutters.
24x38 , $30,000.

That's not including 4 loads (26 ton ea) of dense grade gravel, at $370/load.

Way too much because lumber and all materials are at a premium right now.

But I needed it really bad.
Now I gotta run electrical...wire is extremely expensive right now.i figure $600+ for all electrical.

Jim
[/QUOTE]

Thats three times what I built my house for...

Stories like that are always sobering. Sometimes I forget that I would be homeless if I couldn't 'cheat' the system.

Back