What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Peanut what are you going to do about the calf being so lonely?
Decided to not live like savages with no running water and had our dinner at one of the kids’ houses. Taste seemed best ever. Buttered the turkey, 17lbs., kept things a little more simpler this time. Missed a few of the kids who live far away but will be seeing them soon enough for Christmas. Yay. Too many figuratively empty seats.
Pulled all the turkey off the carcass and brought half home. Turkey pot pie is on the menu. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

Yesterday was busy for me (cooking more than usual), but a relatively quiet Thanksgiving. Just the three of us - hubby, youngest son (19), and me. Our little 4.5 lb turkey breast fit in the air fryer. :) That's my biggest challenge - that, and getting the food to all be ready at the same time. I really stink at that! lol

Today we're visiting with oldest son and his wife (they'll head back home later today).

Then we'll be picking up some cabinets from Menards that we bought online on Wednesday (while they still had their 11% rebate deal). In the past we've learned that Black Friday afternoon isn't so busy - really hoping that's the case today!

After spending so much time going back and forth to the farm for the house construction, it's nice to be in one place for a couple of days, just getting things like laundry done. And dishes. Lots of dishes...

Helped Nana ride a 4wheeler with her daughter and grand daughter.

818463B3-B345-435D-8D55-7C8C03877718.jpeg

She hollered, “It’s like the Titanic!”

Walked first.
Went to thrift shops
Then local grocery stores for sales.
Then Walmart. Here's the weird thing. Almost no traffic and very few shoppers --even at Walmart (11:00 or so). There were folks there and there was a pretty big selection of gift type items. Strange! And good. Even on the Interstate, less traffic than a normal day--I guess I get that, but in town, I thought there would have been more.
Got everything on my list and came home Only spent $5 at Walmart. Just went in because the parking lot wasn't near full.
Anyway, am home and hope to put up the tree this afternoon and that's it!

Pulled a bookcase out of the garage, got it inside. Got a promise from youngest offspring about not storing stuff at mom's after moving out.
Guys came to inspect the leak, which they can't find but agree that there is a leak. They say it is possibly in the slab. Great. They will tear the floor up. Keeping water turned off for the most part. Hoping they can get it all taken care of tomorrow. There are no access points in the walls or floor. This house was built in the 70s. After going through the deep freeze in February and no damage...

Bummer about your water leak, Patch. Our ritzy stupid Maytag washer stopped working (again) on Wednesday, and the guy can't come out till Wednesday. I told everyone to just start a garbage bag in their rooms with their laundry. After he fixes it, I'll have days of backlog to wash and hang. So, today with no cooking to do and no daily laundry, it felt weird. Got the dehydrator filled with more tomatoes, harvested a bunch of kale and arugula for the rabbits and turkeys, did some work in the greenhouse, Ordered some of the hog radish seeds for next summer's planting for a big fall crop for animal feed. Went to Tractor Supply in the bigger town to see if they had any more game bird starter for the 26 baby guineas in brooders. Last time they only had 4 ten lb bags at double the price, and I had to buy it. Today they had the 50 lb sacks, so I bought what they had...150 lbs. Went to Dollar Tree, and the SHTF there. They are now the $1.25 store. Wow. plus tax. Didn't know it till I was being rung up.

@Bacpacker did you get a deer?
There are so many deer here, ridiculous. At one time statistics showed that Texas had the highest numbers of auto accidents involving deer. Probably still true.
@Amish Heart going without a washer is hard too. We bought a new washer right before we moved from MD. It gave up about 10 years out. The one right before that lasted 13 years. The one before that we got from M-I-L and she had had it for a long time. "They just don't build them like they used to."
Current washer is 2 yrs. old.

Putting my arm through the wringer is a mistake I won't make again. I was probably 10.
What was your procedure for using a wringer washer? Mom used the same wash water through a load of lights, darks, towels. It always seemed to work. Laundry was then put into the big sink for the rinse, then wring it out again.
Hey my arm going through the wringer, that could have gone in the dumb things we did when we were younger. Forgot about that. It tingled for a few hours.

My plan was to stay home, clean, and rest. But my friend sent me a picture of his front steps. They broke apart & he needed new steps asap. I called around and found a place that had some. Went to pick them up. Took a forklift to get them into the truck. Took 4 people to get them out. They were taller so we had to dig down to put them in. Unfortunately, they were also longer from front to back and we couldn't get the front to go down because there's sidewalk in the way. But, they work for now and are sturdy. Need to put nonslip treads on them or add some sort of texture.

Got back home and cleaned. Didn't get insides of upper cabinets cleaned out and didn't get stuff washed & put away. But I overfilled the kitchen trash again. Old broken utensils, broken cups, empty cans, etc (when my brother makes himself something, he leaves the cans/containers lying around so they fall on the floor). Cleaned a little bit inside the sink base cabinet.. Can't bend well so I had to use my foot to push around a paper towel. There's a slow leak under the sink that has destroyed the floor and made it all nasty. When m back is cooperating I need to pick up the kitchen mat to clean it. Found some dead mice and lizards courtesy of the cats.

Didn't get as much accomplished as I wanted to but still got something done and tomorrow I need to pick up more plumbing supplies from the store.

Husband cut his venison. I cut up beef fat and brisket, put it through grinder, mixed it, started it through grinder again and put him on grinder while I weighed, wrapped, labeled, put in freezer and washed all dishes. Cleaned ice chests and put away? When he called to tell me he got a deer, he always is anxious about ice. I have emergency gallons of water frozen in freezer. Only had to buy a few bags of ice over the last week

@Bacpacker did you get a deer?
There are so many deer here, ridiculous. At one time statistics showed that Texas had the highest numbers of auto accidents involving deer. Probably still true.
@Amish Heart going without a washer is hard too. We bought a new washer right before we moved from MD. It gave up about 10 years out. The one right before that lasted 13 years. The one before that we got from M-I-L and she had had it for a long time. "They just don't build them like they used to."
Current washer is 2 yrs. old.
Nope never even saw one

I got nothing accomplished except locating a cattle panel on the phone. Went to the pole barn to start the partition but... The more I looked at area the more I disliked my plan. I think I'm going to move a couple of the rolls of hay and go a different way.

It was cold today, low 40's with a strong north wind. Half of the pole barn is open and the wind cut like a knife. I'll wait until it warms up a little.

Just watched holiday tv...

Putting my arm through the wringer is a mistake I won't make again. I was probably 10.
What was your procedure for using a wringer washer? Mom used the same wash water through a load of lights, darks, towels. It always seemed to work. Laundry was then put into the big sink for the rinse, then wring it out again.
Hey my arm going through the wringer, that could have gone in the dumb things we did when we were younger. Forgot about that. It tingled for a few hours.

I ran my finger thru a wringer, probably about the same age. Only I panicked and hit the reverse by mistake. I thought my finger was going to pop

I'm waiting for my friend to let me know if he needs a lift home from work. A coworker drove him in but she doesn't get out until 2am and he is too tired to stay that long since he gets out around 11pm. So I'm sitting under a pile of cats that are warming me up. It's frickin' cold in here. Poor Senator Snugglebum is trying to sleep but Bethesda won't stop grooming him. She will sometimes groom a person or cat or dog for half an hour straight. Mewlatto is happily curled up on my chest, Biscuits is on my lap, and Rupert is under the covers on my lap.

Latest posts

Back