What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being the last day of the year I wanted to end it on a good note, so far I have done laundry, mopped and waxed the kitchen floor, and Now I am cleaning up the food storage shelves. I am going to try to avoid any prolonged interactions with the TV or Computer as they can eat up precious hours.

I plan to spend this evening with the wife, enjoying some good food, and planning out the garden for next year.

Happy new years,

Urban

Started soaking black eyed peas and put a pork roast in the oven to use part of in the peas when I cook them. Back from first dog visit out of only two today. We are supposed to get up to 6 inches of snow today. I hope the snow waits until daughter gets in around 5 today. It will be better for her plane to land and for me to drive to the airport.

Slow day.

The FRS/GMRS hand held radio I swapped out of the Get Home Bag (GHB) wouldn't recharge. Today would be a good day to figure out why. Turned out to be simple. There wasn't a battery pack in the radio! Guess, at the time, I had thought it would be better to store the radio without the battery pack installed. Brought the GHB in where it's warmer to search for the battery pack. There isn't any! But I did find rechargeable AA batteries. Now I remember. There would be no practical way to recharge the battery pack while walking home. That's where the AA batteries come in. But how to recharge the AA...didn't I buy a foldable solar panel that could...yes, found it buried in the GHB!

Good time to pull everything out of the GHB to refresh my memory (or lack thereof) and make inventory adjustments. Waiting for the AAs to recharge before repacking the GHB.

Before I retired employment was a good day's walk from home. Rounded the good day off to a whole day then double it to two days. Add one night means i'll need the GHB to support me for two days and one night in the worst case scenario. I'm a minimalist which helps keep the overall GHB weight down. Work had cases of bottled water which I had planned on liberating a few bottles to get me home. So now I need to added a means to carry a small quantity of water and a filter and/or purification tablets?

Today is no fun jobs in the morning (snake my sewer line & snow cleanup) and relaxing tonight (until bedtime at the regular time :) ) with the family. I feel like cooking something fancy tonight, I'm thinking we'll do ribeyes & roast vegetables if I can find the beef at a decent price. We have a local grocery store that sells locally grown grass fed beef for barely more than walmart sells their feedlot stuff, so I'm hoping I'll get lucky!

Went to the grocery store and got meat, cheese, and cat treats. Itsy was super excited about the treats as I transferred them to containers she can't rip open.

I was going to start doing some cleaning but sinus headache started up again and my eyes are getting blurry so I'm going to nap. Ok, I spoke too soon, mom is paging for food. I'll feed her and then nap.

I went to work for a couple of hours and came home. We are watching Yellowstone and drinking beer and mamosas having snacks. Great day here in the house of Hash!

8341FDD9-8765-4E7D-96A1-D0D1B011F2F2.jpeg

Following up on the thread about respiratory symptoms of COVID and Hoping that @Double R gets to feeling better soon. On the Oxygen Monitors. I would strongly encourage having an oxygen monitor and a Blood Pressure monitor included in your medical cabinet. I would suggest that you remove the batteries if you are not using the monitors regularly because I have seen batteries go bad and ruin (corrode the wires in half) what would otherwise be a good monitor.
Blood pressure wasn’t something I’d thought about. Will be ordering one. Thank you 🤗 🤗🤗

Totally agree with this, check your O2 levels through the day. Some people don’t realize how dangerously low they are until it’s too late (and they are in the 40-50% range)
Hopefully the lysine I’m taking helps with all that. 🤞🏼
You will not get any virus while on L-Lysine.

I looked for lysine and didn't find it in the place I looked, yet. I think I need to look at Natural Grocers. I am curious if there is a brand that you or anyone recommends, and what amount to take each day? Thank you.
Hubby and I used to take 500mg everyday during flu season. Started taking 1000mg in Feb of 2020. Will take 500only if we will not be around anyone that day!

The Princess and I teamed up to plant trees. I am thankful she was able to help. Six apple trees and a pair of English walnuts got planted. There are 8 spruce trees i buried in a trench because we were both getting too tired to plant them along the low edge of The Ridge. At least they are up on the high ground since that is half the battle. I may still have a chance to get them planted before the ground freezes solid.

Now just sitting on the front porch reading and relaxing.

Ben

Got all my greens brought in from the unheated greenhouse. We have potted lettuce, arugula, green onions, and kale all over the dining room on tables. It's the best lighting in the house. Storm coming in tonight. Negative temps this weekend. We'll see if the weatherman is right.
Getting ready to broil some steaks and make some steak fries. Made a dark chocolate cream pie to have while we are up playing games tonight. Little granddaughter is very excited.

We had our "family Christmas" at mom's nursing home tonight. Mom was in great spirits. Two of my nephews and two neices showed up as well, bringing 5 of the great granddaughters with them. They are all beautiful kids. We ate and played 500 but everybody got tired and the party broke up before 9. All those little ones needed to get to bed. My hour drive home took almost 2 hours because of icy roads. Now it's 11:23PM and I'm going to the gym to ring in the new year. No sleep tonight, I'm leaving before 5AM to get to the airport for a flight to Phoenix in the morning. Happy new year, H&CL. Y'all deserve it!

You're close enough, Erica. I'm going to be in your time zone by tomorrow night, but down in the desert near the Salton Sea. I'm guessing that's nowhere near where you are...
I’m sorry you’ll be here but wish you would be closer if you had to be here! How long are you in this horrible state?

2022 and so far...
I had my black eyed peas with ham and cornbread.
My new year's resolution is I'm not making any damn resolution I never keep...

Hmm. I resolve to gain twenty pounds, smoke two packs a day and visit the local bar and liquor store more often, eat out as much as possible and be as big a jack@$$ as humanly possible!

Happy New Year everyone and hope things settle more over the coming year :).

Bit of a whirlwind leading up to Christmas with DH not being able to breathe with chronic chest pain which is now diagnosed as dilated cardiomyopathy after many trips to the hospital with one being via ambulance. He is under the care of a good cardiologist and has started medication but it will take time for him to feel somewhat normal until they get his medication up to the correct level gradually. His heart was pumping/working at 25% instead of the normal persons 50 - 60% and after 2 days of medication was up to 30% which is good news.

At the same time as if that was not enough he also was diagnosed with a continuing bout of chronic Q Fever after 2 courses of antibiotics. We continue with those antibiotics and he is looking slightly better and not the white colour in the face he was. He should now be officially rattling with the amount of medications he is taking for all these and his pain.

In the meantime we have been building on our grocery stockpile and are almost at filling up our food storage room with only a little more to buy. With cost rises constantly in groceries ,all other bills and fuel things are a bit more challenging than they used to be and will no undoubtedly get more so.

We have also been weeding and amending all the garden beds that got out of control and I have planted some more silverbeet and corn and in the next few days some beans. In other garden beds we have planted capsicums, carrots and turnips with some of the turnips and carrots almost ready to be harvested.

Latest posts

Back