What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning everyone!! Heading outside to feed the donkeys as soon as I bundle up (19°)!! Usual work day. Taking two 90yr old friends to lunch in between jobs today!
It's 28 degrees here and we're about 1,500 feet elevation, then again we're not having a normal winter, this concerns us because we should be getting rain here and snow up on the mountain tops, not good because our spring overflow has really slowed down.

Finally warmed up to 20. Hoping the snow keeps melting so I can put the dogs out. They stay kenneled otherwise, and I have to walk them every couple of hours. Just got home from the school bus run, and feeling real sorry for the ladies driving the semi open cabs of the tractors, hauling kids in the attached horse trailers. I know the kids have a heater in back, but the moms look cold.

Okee dokkee...
This week is finally coming to an end. My last doctor's visit is today at 10am.
They won't let the wife come in with me , like they have for 40 years.

Soooo , blessing in disguise, she is going to hit Michaels for some crafty stuff while I'm in doctor.

Then we gotta go to Lowes , then to Long Horn for lunch.

Only one doctor visit next week.. Electrophysiology.

I'll be good for 6 months.

Colder than a witches ....

Y'all stay warm. Spring is coming.

Jim

I hate sitting in this little room , waiting for doctor ...forever...,🤬
IMG_20220218_101056942.jpg

Jim

Got the kid to school, went to the coffee shop, and made some phone calls. Now I'm headed off to the gym for a bit and will try to figure out something fun to do with my daughter this evening. I'm thinking about a movie, but every movie out there right now looks like garbage. Maybe I'll take her clothes shopping. That might be cheaper than going to a movie anyway...

First day since Monday my head is clear. To cold to do anything outside. I need groceries, don't want to go shopping. I still feel bad tired, Cfs sucks but I got a lot done Monday and Tuesday. I pay a price for everything I do.

Edit to add, just talked to the sage of lookout mtn. Trying to plan a mushroom hunting trip up on the mountain. Weather is to cold for mushrooms at the moment, maybe in a month...

Last edited:
For the last four months my step son has left his 32' fifth wheel in our yard. I am tired of looking at it, but that is another story. Since it is such a beautiful morning with a lovely breeze, I decided to open the windows of the camper and air it out. When I went inside I found a lot of wasps flying around. I got a can of spray just for that problem. The can has a locking cap to allow you to start the spray, lock the cap and get out. When I pushed down on the button, the lock broke. So I stayed there until half the can was sprayed, and I quit. I was covered in spray. Annoyed, I came back into the house, turned on the water to warm, got a hand full of soap, lathered up my hands and arms. As I bent over the sink, put my soapy hands to my face, got the warm water over my face and hands..........I peed in my pants. Dang, I hate getting old. I took a shower, started a load of laundry, and now I am looking for a rock to hide under. Laughing at yourself is the best humor........as long as it's not too often.:ghostly:

Sorry RidgeRunner. That's a bad morning.
Got all the animals done and going, and everything was frozen over. Located some of the young french guineas. They seem to have divided into two groups, and I can't get a count yet. There were 25 to start, but neighbor's dog offed 2, so I'm hoping there's 23, but that's hoping. Found one group in the old wood barn, the other in the metal barn, and put out food. The older nine that run around know where their food is. Mom called and I reminded her about the memory appointment, because she forgot. So we'll be leaving in a bit for her stuff. Little granddaughter's school called and the bus driver had an emergency so I'll be needing to pick her up today and probably another amish boy so his mom doesn't have to go out.

Finally seen the doctor.
After waiting 40 minutes.
3 minutes with doctor , lab work is good, everything is good. Not worried about the 18lbs I gained . It's my winter weight, happens every year.(what a waste of time)

Made it thru Rural King and Lowes.

Waiting to go for lunch.

Guess where I'm waiting...
IMG_20220218_121143044_HDR.jpg

SLOOOOOWWWW death.

I'm hungry and she's lollygagging.

Jim

I'll let you guess Had to take my jeep to the next town to be inspected . Yup, check engine light came on ,on the way .Some weird code came up ,( could be about 6 different thing ) they said if they have to go through each thing it could be up to $3000. .on the way home the light went out so i hurried back and it passed :mad: After getting home i decided to clean the pellet stove (shopvac) Yup, bag burst , i won't even post a picture of that . Just an average day for me :D

Had to go back to Walmart to get meds. Got notice last night after we got home. Checked on cat food and went to TS. NO LARGE bags. Back to Walmart for the two 30 bags left on shelf. Husband checked both feed stores locally and none there. He decided to get a chainsaw. After calling 2 places and not what looking for. Only Stihl will do. Third place had one. He wanted a 20-25 inch but settled for 18. I am browsing and he goes to check out. Picked up a few things and he finds me to say they only accept debit or credit. I use debit card. He told me to write a check to myself to deposit to my account. Remember I am doing chicken today, gone all morning and after lunch now. Halfway home I realized I can transfer from our account to my account electronically and not spend an hour driving to bank. Done and I actually had enough to cover it. Chicken almost ready to pull off bone so getting busy

I love Hobby Lobby! Though I only made my hubby wait once or twice, as the closest one is an hour away and we didn't go that way very often. Two friends came over today and made me get moving. We went out to the greenhouse and sorted/cut up the rest of the apples that I had stored there last fall, and started insulating. I'm hoping to set up a warm area where I can start seeds in a couple of weeks.

I love Hobby Lobby! Though I only made my hubby wait once or twice, as the closest one is an hour away and we didn't go that way very often. Two friends came over today and made me get moving. We went out to the greenhouse and sorted/cut up the rest of the apples that I had stored there last fall, and started insulating. I'm hoping to set up a warm area where I can start seeds in a couple of weeks.

Guess I'm lucky when wife wants to go to Hobby Lobby when I'm with her, I have a Harbor Freight right next door. Works out for both of us.

We had 2 more interviews today. One was a buddy of one of the other guys interviewing. Of Course he wants to hire him. I wasn't in that interview so really have no input on that one. The other guy I wasn't expecting much from. But IMO he blew it out of the water. The only thing that wasnt good was his solder test, which isn't critical anyway.
We have good canidates for 2 of the 3 openings. The third one some of the guys want to hire this young guy with schooling, but zero experience. I'm pushing to at least interview a guy that is currently working with the equipment we need them to work with. That shop is short handed and has one guy that is really close to retirement. The third one in that group is much younger, but so damn lazy it drives everyone up the wall. But it's a union job and no one wants to push the matter.

After work wife wanted to go watch one of her kids play basketball. Good game, I hadn't been to a high school game in years. Good time

Last edited:
Went to Walmart and co-op yesterday. Lots of holes at Walmart, but found what I needed.
Got Black Kow manure and and top soil at co-op. 3- 50# bags each.
Came home and made Cowboy Candy BBQ sauce and canned it. Sweet and spicy!

Already did ebay photos this morning.
Will walk next and walk dogs.
Then write some ebay drafts.
Unload 300 #s of Black Kow out of back of jeep.

Today was a range day and there was Ice on the windows and a stiff wind blowing... Not many people showed up so it went quickly.

I replaced the inverter on my stand-by power station. The old inverter had a built in transfer switch (I think that is what started the internal failure) but the revised setup uses a single transfer switch inside the house. It is set up to provide about 4000 watt hours to my growing station each day, but it can quickly transition to provide stand-by power to my freezers. I am not fully utilizing it's capacity but I want to keep my batteries above 80% charged.

I am trying to do a little pre-spring cleaning today. The wife would prefer that thing be in some resemblance of order when the son come home for a visit tonight.

Last night my GF cleaned out most of the clutter in the bedroom so today we are supposed to tape and mud and get that room done. That will leave the top of the stairwell. I just need to do that on a day when I am feeling 100%, been feeling better but my uncle had a bypass surgery a couple days ago and I was stressed about that for several days. It went well and he is doing good so last night I finally started to relax a bit. Feel good so far today. I slept in this morning so I am a few hours late on my BP med so need them to kick in here soon then I can get going for the day. My uncle, actually my ex's ex uncle, he divorced her aunt, is the only family I have in Utah and the only one who would actually help me with difficult stuff if I ever needed the help. He has his own stuff to do so he isn't around much but I have no true friends in Utah so I would have been screwed if he passed, and he would have been not doing so well himself.
I will try to edit the video on the signboard I painted and get that video posted tonight.
We shall see.

I changed my flag mount setup so that I could fly them at half mast (Photo on convoy thread), went on a slow tour with a bunch for Canadian freedom loving partiots, got encouraged by other freedom loving patriots, cam home and made a coffee.

Started to mud and tape the drywall in the bedroom. Just set up a ladder to start and sneezed.
PULLED A MUSCLE IN THE BOTTOM OF MY RIB CAGE!!!!
Ouch! used an elastic wrap to support my ribs and began working on the mud and tape.
Joyous day.
It would be easier to sharpen the blade on the chainsaw and just cut this place down.

Worked till nearly dark. Got a lot of brush cut and more piles made. I'm hoping one more long day and I'll have that area cleaned up. Think I'll stop on the brush clean up for this go round and get back later in the year.
I now have 4-5 small piles of brush scattered around the yard and would like to burn them in place. But most is so green it would likely not burn well. So probably gonna have to haul it down to my big burn piles in the field. I've got 2 thats ready to burn and one building. If I put all this one it, it'll be a huge pile. I think I'm gonna take all the larger diameter material and use it as the bottom fill in my new garden beds as a Hutelkulture fill. There is a fair amount of smaller tree trunks and limbs that would work good for that. Then the smaller brush, honeysuckle, and stuff could go on the pile. I could use 2 or 3 good teenage workers for a few days. 🤣

I make a variation of a quiche that we really like, but it takes a long time. So today I made that and put together the mini greenhouse that I got last year on clearance. I'm keeping it in the house so I have a place to set starter trays. In a few weeks, I will put it outside with the cover on it. It's supposed to snow the next two days. Going skiing tomorrow 😁

I make a variation of a quiche that we really like, but it takes a long time. So today I made that and put together the mini greenhouse that I got last year on clearance. I'm keeping it in the house so I have a place to set starter trays. In a few weeks, I will put it outside with the cover on it. It's supposed to snow the next two days. Going skiing tomorrow 😁

What all do you use in your Quiche? We like those quite well

Sat in the express clinic in the bigger town for an eye infection, then off to Walgreens for a prescription. Figured tomorrow is Sunday, didn't want it to get worse. Touched base with two of my sisters over mom's dementia test yesterday. Also checked in on my favorite cousin by phone...she's finally getting better, but her husband got sick Wednesday and really was suffering. We'll miss her for tomorrow supper, but I don't want to catch anything, and either does husband. First turkey egg today, so hoping they'll start laying regularly. We have three hens, so I'll see what I can incubate after this round of chicken eggs.

Latest posts

Back