What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you don't have to deal with what a friend of ours does, she cooks and does some house cleaning for a woman that is a nudest, this woman has a bowling alley in her home and a tennis court outside, guests bowl and play tennis in the nude and it drives our friend crazy, she's trying to get this woman other help as she is 75 and it's just too much for her to handle. We've never met this woman, which is probably a good thing, I've asked our friend how old this woman is and she said that the woman would not tell her her age. Our friend said that this woman has a lot of money, once owned a wine company and has a wine cellar in her home, she gives wine to our friend, who then gives us bottles of wine, mainly Pinot Noir, which is very good and one of the bottles had a price label on it for $185. This woman knows about us and that we have a neighbor that takes care of foster children, she gives new clothing to our friend to give to us for our neighbor, so in spite of what our friend has to deal with, that woman is generous.
No, it's a great job!! All I do is clean!! I only work for good people, makes it worth my while and they get a SUPER job!! Love my work!!

I don't know anyone with a bomb shelter, Magus.
Finally got the groceries dated, repackaged and put away. They had a few bags (3) of the Tyson chicken quarters for $5 a bag for 10 lbs, not the best cuts and the back bone left on for sure, but I grabbed them. Cut the leg from the thigh and all the extra hanging skin, cleaned it all up and frozen 4 gallon bags and we are having a big pan of them baked tonight. Expecting snow in the middle of the night, so maybe school tomorrow, maybe no school, we'll see.
In the old days when I could use wood heat, it would be hobo stew time!

Worked all day on estimates for a apartment complex, one of the biggest I have undertaken in the last ten years. Came home and finished my outside chores before it started to rain again.
Loaded up the freeze dryer last night with broccoli florets, they were finished when I got home so I loaded it up again with sweet and white corn. I’m putting up as much as possible with thing getting hard to find and so costly. I can’t wait for the garden to start producing. Next run will be sweet potatoes, mixed veggies and green beans.

Arrived at the remodel to find...

20220309_134100_HDR.jpg

... a water hearer plumbed in. My brother worked extended hours when I was not supervising.

It still needs the gas line run but close to having a working water system. :thumbs:

I did outlet for the front deck on it's own circuit. It only took a zillion trips in and out of the basement then climbing up into the crawl space. It was not one of my better executed days but the outlet is securely mounted and works. Check!

Tomorrow?

I haven't thought that far ahead. "The troubles of today are sufficient 7nto themselves."

Thank God he is letting us get somewhere.

Behave

Ben

Doing inventory.

Anybody with a bomb shelter and a great food inventory wanna hire a washed up private security consultant?

Don't have a bomb shelter but trying to figure out if the blast would reach us if the nearest city got nuked. I think it would depend on how big a nuke and what the effect of mountains in between the city and us would have.
We are good on food , live on a farm, we better be good on food !!

What State are you in?

So ...husband just had a crazy scary thing happen. He went to pick up another hay bale from a neighbor, and neighbor was being threatened by a meth head living nearby with a shotgun. Husband didn't know and drove his truck right up there in between them and made it possible for the guy to go in the house and get his gun. At that point husband had called the police which showed up pretty fast considering where we live ( well this is half hour away from where we live) and arrested the guy. Holy crap! I always felt safe here, didn't know we had people like that live in the area.
I never went anywhere unarmed in Florida, but stopped doing that here because we never ( until now, 6 years later) ran into any sort of problems that might require defending yourself.
I am glad our neighbor and my husband didn't get shot!!

So ...husband just had a crazy scary thing happen. He went to pick up another hay bale from a neighbor, and neighbor was being threatened by a meth head living nearby with a shotgun. Husband didn't know and drove his truck right up there in between them and made it possible for the guy to go in the house and get his gun. At that point husband had called the police which showed up pretty fast considering where we live ( well this is half hour away from where we live) and arrested the guy. Holy crap! I always felt safe here, didn't know we had people like that live in the area.
I never went anywhere unarmed in Florida, but stopped doing that here because we never ( until now, 6 years later) ran into any sort of problems that might require defending yourself.
I am glad our neighbor and my husband didn't get shot!!
They may not be a local, just happened into the area. Never know

Taxes done! Smooth as it used to be before our lady retired. Such a nice lady. Helped answer a few questions for tax purposes if we were to be able to buy a place. She said we have our paperwork so nice and orderly we should have them done and ready to sign in just a few days. That’s good. One thing off our plate now. We now know what to expect for next year as well with our business finally closed. Feel a big weight lifted at the moment at least.
Next week we butcher another cow. That will be a good feeling knowing the freezer will have some pet food in it again. Probably will schedule the next at that point. Lock in another date. Been trying for this one since Sept 2021 when our locker was closed for good.
Just got hubby off to work. Heat checked the cows and set up for turning them into a different pasture tomorrow. Fields are so scary short and drying out. Going to be a rough year.
Winds are supposed to start around 1am. Not looking forward to that. Especially with the “accidental” fire pile that’s been going for 3 days and nights. The whole area has been smoked out miserably for 3 days/nights now. It’s mostly just a thick smoldering smoke. Fire department was out again tonight. They are escalating it. The workers have been there every day with an excavator and was supposed to spread it out and get it put out and didn’t. Guess we will see what the winds bring. $ sure buys a lot of leeway with the laws.

I did cleanup, broke up cat fights. The puppies coming inside and relocation of food bowls has them all on edge. Sir Hammington and Snugglebum had a bad fight and Hammy's paw is bleeding. Puppies knocked over the trash. They refused to stay outside because it was still cold and rainy.
My friend was supposed to come over to help with the cistern lever thing but he got stuck at work. They got 3 new game systems for him to set up and he was still setting the last one up after 7pm (and he went in to work at 10am). He's supposed to get off at 2pm (he works part-time hours due to his health).

Arrived at the remodel to find...

View attachment 82042

... a water hearer plumbed in. My brother worked extended hours when I was not supervising.

It still needs the gas line run but close to having a working water system. :thumbs:

I did outlet for the front deck on it's own circuit. It only took a zillion trips in and out of the basement then climbing up into the crawl space. It was not one of my better executed days but the outlet is securely mounted and works. Check!

Tomorrow?

I haven't thought that far ahead. "The troubles of today are sufficient 7nto themselves."

Thank God he is letting us get somewhere.

Behave

Ben
That’s the kind of surprise you like to find as long as it was done right and you don’t have to go behind and redo things.

Yesterday I started making up a list of all the filters that I need for our equipment. Oil, fuel, hydraulic and air filters. So far I have 36 different filters on the list. I'll take that list to our parts store today and have them order a 3 year supply of filters.
It got down to zero this morning but should warm up to 20 or so.

Don't feel so great this morning. Stayed up too late talking with my daughter and ate ice cream. I think I'm paying for it already. Haven't eaten much in the way of sugar for the last 4 months or so, now I'm feeling it.
Today I need to finish my laundry, scan in all our tax documents and get those emailed over to our accountant.
It might be warm enough to start some plants in containers. I have a lot of bags, and think I will put all my plants in there this year. Need to also get some fruit trees. I'm just trying to figure out how to manage tending a garden that's 3 hours away and I'm only there part time. My plan now is to put the trees in pots and other plants in containers and haul it up there when we move.

Did the school drop off run and just finished with all the animals. Dogs are really in a what the heck mood...snow and 20 degrees out after a few nice days. So I just walk them every couple of hours, and they are in their kennels in the milkhouse. We have a parent teacher conference later today for little granddaughter, and not sure what else. I have plenty of errands I need to do if husband wants to go out. The amish store just got in their delivery of strawberries from Florida, and a flat of those would be nice.

No, it's a great job!! All I do is clean!! I only work for good people, makes it worth my while and they get a SUPER job!! Love my work!!
I think the question was if you wear clothes when you're cleaning 😂🤣😂
Yesterday I started making up a list of all the filters that I need for our equipment. Oil, fuel, hydraulic and air filters. So far I have 36 different filters on the list. I'll take that list to our parts store today and have them order a 3 year supply of filters.
It got down to zero this morning but should warm up to 20 or so.
Might add windshield wipers to the list. I got our filters a few months back but didn't even think about wipers so they are on my list for today.
Taxes done! Smooth as it used to be before our lady retired. Such a nice lady. Helped answer a few questions for tax purposes if we were to be able to buy a place. She said we have our paperwork so nice and orderly we should have them done and ready to sign in just a few days. That’s good. One thing off our plate now. We now know what to expect for next year as well with our business finally closed. Feel a big weight lifted at the moment at least.
Next week we butcher another cow. That will be a good feeling knowing the freezer will have some pet food in it again. Probably will schedule the next at that point. Lock in another date. Been trying for this one since Sept 2021 when our locker was closed for good.
Just got hubby off to work. Heat checked the cows and set up for turning them into a different pasture tomorrow. Fields are so scary short and drying out. Going to be a rough year.
Winds are supposed to start around 1am. Not looking forward to that. Especially with the “accidental” fire pile that’s been going for 3 days and nights. The whole area has been smoked out miserably for 3 days/nights now. It’s mostly just a thick smoldering smoke. Fire department was out again tonight. They are escalating it. The workers have been there every day with an excavator and was supposed to spread it out and get it put out and didn’t. Guess we will see what the winds bring. $ sure buys a lot of leeway with the laws.
Yay! Don't you love it when things go smoothly?

I've been in a little bit of a funk for a few days. The last 2 properties I've called on were under contract before we could even go look at them. Hubby has taken 1 weekend off in the last 6-7 weeks and will be working this weekend as well. I called yesterday hoping to arrange to go look at a property near a good fishing river partially just to get him away for a couple days. It was one of the 2 under contract. I know we'll end up where we are supposed to be and am at peace with that, but it certainly is befuddling at times. (We are looking out of the area so can't just zip by after work or do a quick drive by.)

Been an interesting morning so far. Responded a chimney fire. I've always got to take the moment and ask please please if you burn for heat..Wood or oil..please clean and maintain your chimney. Today was close to a tragedy.

Bartered a bunch of my extra hot pepper seedlings for some deer meat. We both seem to think we got the best of the deal so I guess that's a success lol.
I have an online course to finish today and need to get the chicks into a bigger space.
Weather is being erratic today which doesn't help the chores.

Waiting to hear back from the local place on a better cistern deal. Going to restart my footing once again for water tanks once I have its size. (Hopefully today!?) I have to finally decide where these will sit for the next few yrs. It's nerve wracking. Picking up another thousand lbs of sand. Laying some bricks for a burn barrel because I'm paranoid. Maaaaaybe getting target practice in.

The yard master let us out to work today. Yesterday they had a lot of trains working in the yard so they wouldn't let us out of the track we tied the equipment up on. Today we were able to get into one and get some surfacing done. I derailed my machine on a piece of debris between the rails, but we got it put back on. In the yard I can't really use the full capability of my machine because there's not enough room, but I got some practice plowing rock and brooming it off the ties. The Temps dropped and it started freezing this afternoon. Hopefully it will warm up tomorrow because frozen rock is hard on the equipment...

Good afternoon
Yay! Don't you love it when things go smoothly?

I've been in a little bit of a funk for a few days. The last 2 properties I've called on were under contract before we could even go look at them. Hubby has taken 1 weekend off in the last 6-7 weeks and will be working this weekend as well. I called yesterday hoping to arrange to go look at a property near a good fishing river partially just to get him away for a couple days. It was one of the 2 under contract. I know we'll end up where we are supposed to be and am at peace with that, but it certainly is befuddling at times. (We are looking out of the area so can't just zip by after work or do a quick drive by.)

I hope the place of your dreams works out very quickly! Keep us posted!
Yes absolutely except it seems the last few years when things go smoothly it doesn’t end well For us. I told the tax lady we’re sure to get audited this year just because of how smooth it all went. I pray not but I can’t help but worry anymore when things go well. How sad is that?! 🤦🏻‍♀️
For 3 1/2 days and 3 nights now we’ve had thick nastiest smoke making the whole area suffer. The trees they ripped out to start the new development by us they hauled down the street from us and chip it then haul it off it appears. Huge house size piles. 3 days ago the mulch pile “accidentally” caught fire. A smoldering deep down fire. The smoke has been far worse than any of the previous brush fires that smoked the area because it’s so thick. Think burning green wood. The fire department couldn’t put it out with the water they had on their trucks on day 1. Still not sure the whole story but it’s still smoldering. Knowing we were expecting high winds today I called yesterday for an explanation as to why it’s not been put out. At this point we all have sore throats and headaches from the thick smoke in our houses. According to my sister in law there are even complaints a town over about the smoke too online. Fire crew came out again last night and I went and talked to them. Super nice guys. Agreed this was ridiculous. Said it’s been escalated to the fire marshal and the air board. Sounded like the workers had been told to get it spread out with their excavators and get it out and they didn’t even try. So today I get a call from my mother in law that there’s a fire by some of our cows. So I race out there and sure enough fire up to our fence line but our rockstar little fire department got it out and saved our fence. Turned out one of the gentlemen was one I’d spoken to yesterday on the phone. He updated us that the company is in big trouble and while they can’t put the fire out today (the tree mulch fire) due to the high winds tomorrow they’ve been ordered to haul in equipment and get it taken care of. Already seeing heavy equipment rolling in today. It’s smoking far,ore today due to the winds but the wind is also pushing the smoke so it’s dissipating at least. Find it hard to believe our fire was from that one but our ”green grass” sure went up quick. Going to be watching things close today for sure. Sadly the fire captain said they are saying less than two years all the housing tract homes are supposed to be in.

Latest posts

Back