What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I LIVE for the Mockingbirds singing all night!! That's how I know I'm in the "GOOD" time of the year!!
Well, they are back to singing wide-open today so it was just me being crazy. :rolleyes:
The only thing I can figure is, the only sound I heard in the silence, was a hoot-owl (rare).
I think they eat mockingbirds.:confused:
On the flip-side (speaking of being crazy), if you listen to our mockingbirds long enough, you hear:
"Cheeseburger,Cheeseburger,Cheeseburger, cheap!,cheap!,cheap!,tshirt,tshirt,tshirt!"
...Now I gotta go shopping.:rolleyes:
Fortunately, sanity is not a requirement at my current job, (retired).:thumbs:

Last edited:
They say that when a UAP or UFO is around all the critters go quiet...
Were you abducted last night? any missing time? ;)

Wow, Lady Locust, hope you're feeling better! Dunno all the particulars, but that whole scene sounded ugly. I've beaten myself up in the past, but usually when drunk and doing something... er... dangerous and possibly stupid. With gravity & velocity involved. Don't feel too badly about the shiners & goose eggs, they'll go away in due time... I've dealt with enough road rash, contusions & lacerations in the past to be a poster child for domestic violence, though there was no DV involved, lol. Just vertical skateboarding, dirt biking, and other assorted activities... wouldn't have missed 'em for the world, despite the carnage. Man's gotta cut loose and have SOME fun in his life... ;)

I don't think so.
But I'm still having trouble turning around in my room and something is messing up the WiFi :rolleyes::
2j0nu3yJG9jxm0CXob_0EVQSX2uDilZgWM4nPF6_kf0.jpg

(just an old cartoon that only older folks will get)

Wow, Lady Locust, hope you're feeling better! Dunno all the particulars, but that whole scene sounded ugly. I've beaten myself up in the past, but usually when drunk and doing something... er... dangerous and possibly stupid. With gravity & velocity involved. Don't feel too badly about the shiners & goose eggs, they'll go away in due time... I've dealt with enough road rash, contusions & lacerations in the past to be a poster child for domestic violence, though there was no DV involved, lol. Just vertical skateboarding, dirt biking, and other assorted activities... wouldn't have missed 'em for the world, despite the carnage. Man's gotta cut loose and have SOME fun in his life... ;)
There is a thread for that.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/dumb-things-i-did-as-a-kid.14049/
Ben

In order to appreciate it, you should live it... 🛸

Son called off the dryer project because his work schedule is crazy.

So I picked radishes ... hid from the rain ... cleared clover for some more lettuce ... hid from the rain ... planted some lettuce ... hid from the rain... etc.

Got most of the incremental crop in save bush beans. Tomorrow maybe.

Then there was that box that was delivered today.

The Princess found out we can get gigabyte internet for the same monthly cost. Well the box contains a new modem.

Princess: " I guess I just added something else to your todo list."

It doesn't bother me much. I will never get all done anyway. 😊

Ben

Today started with meetings before 06:00 and wouldn't you know it my computer decided to do an update as I logged on, it ate up my 10 minute buffer... The meetings were the kind where you say something but no one listens.... after 5 hours I had a headache that lasted the rest of the day. Got off around 16:00 and went outside only to have a thunderstorm roll through, but hey my rain barrels were about 1 day from empty so now they are full and all is good.... After dinner I went out and pulled weeds and just looked around, lots of work to do out there but I don't think the time is available to do much before Saturday.

Well I had a unicorn of a day. There’s no kids or grandkids, (they’re all at the beach for several days), and it was cool and breezy outside (we’re usually in the 80’s and 90’s here). A perfect opportunity to get some stuff done outside but no, I feel like I’ve been run over by a truck. I mustered up enough gumption to cut up bell peppers for the dehydrator and wash the rest of the dishes from yesterday. I have 4 kid free days a year and I’m sick. 🤬

My daughter and I had a busy afternoon, she volunteered at the library for a couple hours then we drove through the Ledges 3 times to splash all the little kids playing in the creek. She had a counseling appointment and my new recliner came in so we drove down to Ankeny to pick it up. Got home, wrangled the thing up the stairs and assembled it. I love it already. But the night has turned tragic in Central Iowa - there was a shooting at Cornerstone Church in Ames. Two dead plus the shooter. They were having a meeting for college kids called The Salt Company or just "Salt". My nieces used to attend that when they went to Iowa State. Lord help us...what is going on in this world?

Just more fuel to stoke Brandon's fire.
I feel horrible for the victims caught in the middle
This one is just 25 miles from me. There's not much detail out yet, but apparently the shooting took place in the parking lot. Waiting to see if it is supposedly religious, racial, romantic, or somehow otherwise motivated...there are people from my church who have college age kids that attend Salt events. One is the worship music leader...

Through all the bad crap,.......I am so glad to know your daughter volunteered at the library!! So thankful you have a great kid!! So sorry for the bad stuff happening so close!! 😒
She is in a volunteer program through her school. When she participates in approved programs and gets her volunteer hours verified, it counts toward her "Silver Cord" that she will get to wear when she graduates from high school. She loves to help at the library. She volunteers at the school to work at the concession stand during sports events and she volunteers for the mentoring program too.

I had to go to Mississippi. Had an appointment to have a new radio installed in my truck, a 2 week waiting list to have work done.

The radio in my ‘02 pickup quit working, cd player still sort of worked. I bought a radio from this shop last fall. I kept hoping their work would slack off this winter. It’s difficult for me to plan a week in advance since I care for my elderly folks.

I finally had to bite the bullet and get on the waiting list. They only charged me $50. For another $100 they replaced the speakers. One speaker buzzed if I turned it up loud so why not.

Had little fun, took back roads through 3 counties on the way over. Did a little plant hunting, stopped and checked a few small creeks. I always check creeks, gives a very good sampling of plant life for miles around. Today’s trip was well into the coastal plain, lots of plants I don’t see often.

This morning I woke up a little early, it's my day off but there are deliverables hanging fire... Need to pick up some supplies for the garden and other projects. I am thinking about making some sort of small standby cooling system to keep the wife going if we have any major power disruptions this summer. I was thinking of a light window unit with a folding window cover, something I could power off my standby solar....

The prescence of ANY apex predator will make them do that. I think I'd rather face a puma than some of the stuff out there in the deep woods. there are things out there you don't want to know about! 0_o

Missing time is for chumps, I know a couple of groups that can yank you out between one second and the next and after days in their care, have you back before your buddy can finish his blink.

That's terrible, Spike. It's hard when it's a place or someone you know. A few weeks ago, older granddaughter found out someone she hung out with in Jr High was shot and killed with her mom in the Walmart parking lot in Albuquerque near where we lived. Senseless.
Some details are coming out about the shooting. The lady who runs my church's coffee shop used to attend that church and has been in contact with people she still knows over there. It apparently was an ex boyfriend/ex girlfriend thing. I understand that rumors are flying after something like this and confirmation is going to take a while. But psychos are everywhere and it feels like they're closing in on us, doesn't it? Even church isn't safe any more, especially for women.

Go heeled, even at church. It could save a life...

Latest posts

Back