What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Patchouli I'm sorry to hear about another loss, I hope things improve for you and your family soon.

Let's see, work's been busier lately, which is fine by me, I hate being bored. Saturday we went fishing with a buddy of ours again. The last two times he hadn't caught anything but this time he caught two good sized fish so he was really happy. It was a beautiful day. If the weather holds, we'll be going again this coming Saturday but after that we'll be winterizing the boat. We're pushing our luck as it is but the weather's been so nice, how can I resist? 😆

Sunday I went shopping and to my parents' as usual do visit and do chores. Mom has an appt with cardio doc on Friday so I'll be bringing her to that, which is a trial cuz her mobility isn't great and she tends to tilt the walker and I'm afraid she's going to faceplant on the pavement. When I got home on Sunday I tore up the garden beds and cleaned up a bit around the yard. Always too much to do and not enough time.

Oh, I got an early Xmas present this weekend! My laptop has been going downhill lately, it's getting old, but when I picked it up last week it made a weird noise when I tilted it. Kinda like a plastic clicking whirring noise. I didn't say anything right away cuz I didn't want it to seem like I was just pushing for a new one but after a couple days I showed DH and son. They seemed to think it was the fan, it was loose or off balance. I was like ok, no biggie but come to find out they had been planning on getting me a new one for Xmas anyways, so they just ordered it now. It's a beautiful Asus gaming laptop, it's the fastest computer I've ever owned. I still can't get over how fast everything boots up compared to my other one. lol

@Patchouli I'm sorry to hear about another loss, I hope things improve for you and your family soon.

Let's see, work's been busier lately, which is fine by me, I hate being bored. Saturday we went fishing with a buddy of ours again. The last two times he hadn't caught anything but this time he caught two good sized fish so he was really happy. It was a beautiful day. If the weather holds, we'll be going again this coming Saturday but after that we'll be winterizing the boat. We're pushing our luck as it is but the weather's been so nice, how can I resist? 😆

Sunday I went shopping and to my parents' as usual do visit and do chores. Mom has an appt with cardio doc on Friday so I'll be bringing her to that, which is a trial cuz her mobility isn't great and she tends to tilt the walker and I'm afraid she's going to faceplant on the pavement. When I got home on Sunday I tore up the garden beds and cleaned up a bit around the yard. Always too much to do and not enough time.

Oh, I got an early Xmas present this weekend! My laptop has been going downhill lately, it's getting old, but when I picked it up last week it made a weird noise when I tilted it. Kinda like a plastic clicking whirring noise. I didn't say anything right away cuz I didn't want it to seem like I was just pushing for a new one but after a couple days I showed DH and son. They seemed to think it was the fan, it was loose or off balance. I was like ok, no biggie but come to find out they had been planning on getting me a new one for Xmas anyways, so they just ordered it now. It's a beautiful Asus gaming laptop, it's the fastest computer I've ever owned. I still can't get over how fast everything boots up compared to my other one. lol
Congrats on the new laptop!! Hope you get to go fishing at least one more time! You never know!

Busy day, got all the peppers out of my nesco dehydrator. (Still have 4 trays of tabasco and serrano peppers in the excalibur.)

Anyway, I processed all my dry jalapeno, serrano and thai peppers. Saved seed from each then vacuum sealed them in mason jars. 3Q of Jalapenos, 2q of serranos and a spice bottle packed with thai peppers.

Then I started after season cleaning. I washed and dried 20 dehydrator tray inserts. I then started washing the trays, got 6 drying and the big nesco lid. Still have 10 trays and 4 inserts to go.

Called it quits, still have to figure out something for dinner.

Last edited:
So, after it warmed back up, I went and turned the AC back to Auto bc it got too hot. But it didn't cool off. Just kept getting hotter while it was still chilly outside. Turned it to cold only. Set thermostat to turn off fan but it wouldn't shut it off. Flipped the breaker off and on. Checked the filters, poured bleach down condensate line and made sure it was capped, finally set thermostat to turn AC off entirely. Opened some windows. Got up to 87° and it was not that hot outside. Won't cool off. Down to 86° but outside is 78. Not sure what is wrong with the AC.

Could barely sleep last night bc it was too hot. Binge-watched Obiwan Kenobi series. Went to Samsclub with my brother. Grabbed Wendy's on the way home, stopped by friend's house to drop something off- bro went inside despite me saying we needed to get home bc we have frozen stuff, went inside & the toddler was happy to see me, finally got my bro's fat butt out and back in the truck, unloaded groceries at home, and have been fiddling with the thermostat and trying to troubleshoot the AC. My brother insisted the AC had to be turned back on and came out whining about it and said he didn't care what I'd read about coils needing to cool or fan circulating hot air- he turned it back on.

I was sweating so badly I had a hard time getting my pants on to answer the door for UPS. Mom's laptop was returned and I need to get it set up to make sure it works.

Right now I'm trying to cool off and am pondering what to make for dinner that doesn't require as much moving bc its too hot to do much in this house. I do not handle heat well at all. Anything over 70 and I start sweating.

I can't remember what I last reported so maybe repeating myself.

I have 3/4 of the greenhouse insulation installed. Looks like I have just enough of the space blanket to finish the project. I had to resort to using my manual staple gun because I misplaced the spring feed assembly for my old electric staple gun. Not enough room to swing a staple hammer. I broke down and ordered a new electric staple gun that can also does small nails and brads AND it has a safety unlike my old one. The old one would randomly fire staples if the power cord came loose. The new one arrived on Saturday.

The Princess likes the greenhouse and insisted we move the olive tree and coffee tree out there.

20221024_185225_HDR.jpg

I will have to watch the forecast like a hawk come Jan and Feb since the temperature is untested in the dead of winter.

On fluke I grabbed some more yeast for making wine. Neither of us could handle the 5.5 lbs of sugar in 2.5 gallons of must for elderberry wine. Turns out it appears to be fermenting.

20221024_185332.jpg

It is definitely fermenting slower than when I brewed beer. I may still get wine yet.

Another project was to make my sister happy. She nabbed two leather chairs a while ago then decided they were too big for ger place. The Princess agreed to take them off her hands. That of course means I was on the hook to move them.

20221024_185041_HDR.jpg

Just barely managed to get them into the library without having to move a bookcase to get them in. The Princess is happy so there you go.

Today I entertained a salesman for Gerac solar panels and batteries. How many times does a person have to utter "I am not going to sign anything today". Then proceeded to do math to analyze if it makes sense.

Tomorrow back on the insulation for the greenhouse and try out that new staple gun.

Please excuse anything I may have repeated.

Ben

I think I work for Satan. I'm sure I do--I work in the pharmaceutical industrial complex. There's no other explanation for what our staff went through today. It wasn't from customers either (well, maybe just a few) it was from our own lack of "leadership."
Tommy, my son couldn't have gotten through the past several months without the individuals like yourself working behind the plexiglass. I'm at the pharmacy easily every three days or so. Those folks are understaffed and dealing with constant supply issues - I can't imagine their days are enjoyable, but I'm so glad they're there. And I tell them how much they're appreciated - loudly, for all the grumbling people in line to overhear, too.😁 Have no doubt that the work you do is incredibly important - you may not always hear how much you're appreciated, but you are!

Cars: we have always needed something large that drives well in the past 30 years or so. So that would be a Suburban or a YukonXL .
20 yrs ago we bought a used Suburban Z-71 and put another 200,000 miles on her (so almost 300k total). Such a practical work vehicle, handled snow and rough terrain so well, excellent towing. I still miss Bessie - nothing we have now comes close to replacing her.

Burying my Husband's ashes tomorrow; there'll be a short ceremony at the cemetery. So ran around today cleaning house and getting ready to have folks over for a meal afterwards. Sort of just in survival mode, keeping busy and trying not to break down.
I think of you and what you're going through often. Sending support across the miles. :huggs:

My sister is visiting from Texas, so we went up to Estes Park and joined all the other tourists wandering around in the shops.
Best time I ever had in Estes Park was the Highland Festival - listening to about 100 bagpipes while surrounded by those mountains, made my DNA ping. Good memories!

Make that phone call. Send that card. You never know.
I'm so sorry, Patch. ❤️

I finally finished picking parsley leaves off stems and the last two loads are in the dehydrator.

Cooked up 2 gals of cranberries with oranges and cinnamon and got them canned in pints.
Canned 3 more gals of milk as well.

Stacked another full cord of wood and got the big unstacked piles tarped. I need to spread 3 loads of sandy gravel before they freeze up. I'll be stacking wood in the snow if new chores don't keep cropping up.

Got my sis to the airport and home for lunch. Emptied both dehydrators of tomatoes and filled them both up again. Filtered five gallons of water, made butter with the raw milk I picked up from my favorite cousin last night. Trying to catch up after company and funeral. Poor greenhouse took a bad turn from the windstorm, and today we had rain. I need to go pick up a bunch of 3 by ones.

Got my sis to the airport and home for lunch. Emptied both dehydrators of tomatoes and filled them both up again. Filtered five gallons of water, made butter with the raw milk I picked up from my favorite cousin last night. Trying to catch up after company and funeral. Poor greenhouse took a bad turn from the windstorm, and today we had rain. I need to go pick up a bunch of 3 by ones.
I'm bettin' you are tired!!

@goshengirl Thank you Goshen. Your words are very much appreciated and you made this old girl little misty eyed. We are lucky, we do have very appreciative patients, as I’m sure your pharmacy does as well. 90% of the problems we have are caused by our own corporation. We understand some of the patients grumblings. We fill theirs and their family’s scripts—we have an inkling of what’s going on in their lives and understand how crappy situations can be.

Going to have a visitor for a couple of days so i got busy cleaning out a spare bedroom. This spring we got a inheritance so the wife and I have been doing a little extra shopping. She was/is on a restricted diet so we tended to stock heavy then she got better and could eat more things.
10 jars of almond and other types of nut butter.......enough vitamins and supplements to stock a pharmacy, and tubs of cleaning supplies. i even found a bag of various girl scout cookies almost expired but our teenagers friends will take care of those.
I am sure there is a spreadsheet we could of been entering all these supplies into.....

Any chance of sneaking a pic of the suck truck, sounds cool!
Something like this, although there are many varieties.
The one time I saw one in use was when a guy got buried in a trench that partially collapsed. The construction crews brought over the suck trucks to try to dig him out ASAP. It was impressive watching it remove large amounts of dirt and rocks rather quickly, but sadly the guy was too far deep and didn't survive.
1666692693916.png

I just got to spend 10 minutes trying to get the dog in from our fenced yard. She went nuts barking and had the biggest "mohawk" running the length of her back. There were two does in our side yard and she wanted them gone. Thing is we live on the busiest street in town. On Sunday, Dad was going down the street to the convenience store to grab a coffee and hard roll and he was confronted by a 6-point buck. Can't fathom where they are living--the wooded area at the end of the street was eradicated for a supermarket. There are some wooded areas along the river banks here though, but I wouldn't think it's enough for them.

I just got to spend 10 minutes trying to get the dog in from our fenced yard. She went nuts barking and had the biggest "mohawk" running the length of her back. There were two does in our side yard and she wanted them gone. Thing is we live on the busiest street in town. On Sunday, Dad was going down the street to the convenience store to grab a coffee and hard roll and he was confronted by a 6-point buck. Can't fathom where they are living--the wooded area at the end of the street was eradicated for a supermarket. There are some wooded areas along the river banks here though, but I wouldn't think it's enough for them.
It's probably not enough room for them! They might be trying to find some nice yard to live in!! Coffee and a HARD ROLL, people in Texas don't know how GREAT a buttered hard roll is, I MISS THOSE! Thanks for the memory!!♥️

We got the switches installed on Main Track 2 yesterday. Today we're installing the crossover tracks in between the main lines. These are the tracks that the trains use to cross over from one track to the other. The crossover rails are "insulated", meaning there is a joint in them that has a non conductive spacer between 2 lengths of rail. They're kind of a pain in the butt. Once we finish all that, we'll be done with the major work and we can concentrate on cleanup and tying up all the loose ends tomorrow. Then we'll be on to the next gig...

It's probably not enough room for them! They might be trying to find some nice yard to live in!! Coffee and a HARD ROLL, people in Texas don't know how GREAT a buttered hard roll is, I MISS THOSE! Thanks for the memory!!♥️
Only thing better than a buttered hard roll is a hard roll with cheese, egg and Taylor ham!

Town run later... gorgeous weather outside, but still a bit cold (upper 40s). T-shirt weather for Sourdough, but I'll keep my longjohn top on for awhile, lol. Kittens are frisky and zooming around our home... I opened the windows already, as the temp should rise quickly with this glorious sunshine! Got some hot herbal tea going too, so that helps! Debating whether to ride the motorbike tomorrow, or ride the pedal bike in the ditch... been meaning to do that again, as it is heller fun, and tomorrow's weather will be very nice here in Alamo! So maybe, just maybe, I'll take the pedal bike and my Canon cam up to the ditch in town and simply ride that, as the big bike needs oil and a full tank o' fuel (premium gasoline), and money is a little tight right now... if I buy the oil & gas ($50 or $60 worth), I may run out of beer before the week is out, and that's not a good scenario, lol. Better to ride the ditch and "Don't worry, be happy!!!" Besides, exercise is GOOD for you, and the mountains aren't going anywhere, lol... not in my lifetime, anyway, but in geological terms, they will eventually erode (in 10 million years, lol). Alright, I'm back to my hot tea & these damfool kittens... running around like they're high on crack, the BLASTED VARMINTS!!! 😒

I can't remember what I last reported so maybe repeating myself.

I have 3/4 of the greenhouse insulation installed. Looks like I have just enough of the space blanket to finish the project. I had to resort to using my manual staple gun because I misplaced the spring feed assembly for my old electric staple gun. Not enough room to swing a staple hammer. I broke down and ordered a new electric staple gun that can also does small nails and brads AND it has a safety unlike my old one. The old one would randomly fire staples if the power cord came loose. The new one arrived on Saturday.

The Princess likes the greenhouse and insisted we move the olive tree and coffee tree out there.

View attachment 96699

I will have to watch the forecast like a hawk come Jan and Feb since the temperature is untested in the dead of winter.

On fluke I grabbed some more yeast for making wine. Neither of us could handle the 5.5 lbs of sugar in 2.5 gallons of must for elderberry wine. Turns out it appears to be fermenting.

View attachment 96700

It is definitely fermenting slower than when I brewed beer. I may still get wine yet.

Another project was to make my sister happy. She nabbed two leather chairs a while ago then decided they were too big for ger place. The Princess agreed to take them off her hands. That of course means I was on the hook to move them.

View attachment 96701

Just barely managed to get them into the library without having to move a bookcase to get them in. The Princess is happy so there you go.

Today I entertained a salesman for Gerac solar panels and batteries. How many times does a person have to utter "I am not going to sign anything today". Then proceeded to do math to analyze if it makes sense.

Tomorrow back on the insulation for the greenhouse and try out that new staple gun.

Please excuse anything I may have repeated.

Ben
Reminds me of Dr Lynch's microbiology class and lab. I went to UALR back in the 90s. I had Dr Lynch for both microbiology lecture and the microbiology lab. He had us make wine in the lab. Foe religious reasons I was not allowed to drink it, and he respected that. He ended up being my favorite teacher there.

Waiting for husband to be ready...going into the bigger town to Lowes for greenhouse repair wood, Tractor for game bird feed, and Walmart for dog and cat food and weird miscellaneous items.
Animal chores, picked 4 buckets of tomatoes from the plants I threw in the greenhouse, lots of laundry already. I think there's about 4 more buckets to pick from those plants. Chopped one big bowl of tomatoes for one dehydrator, need to chop another bowl. Both should be able to be emptied this evening.

I finished the insulin in the roof of the greenhouse.

20221025_160641.jpg

I laid in extra across the beams since I had on hand.

Tomorrow I should try fix the ice maker and do some more number crunching on the possible solar panels.

That's it for today.

Ben

Latest posts

Back