What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot_20230606-191242.jpg

LadyLocust and I decided to go to the beach today instead of the pool! Thought I'd never get a picture of her with a swimsuit on!!🙄

Got the run finished enough to let them out for a few hours. They didn't know what to do with their freedom lol all that's left to do on the coop and run are a few finishing touches like the mesh over top of the run, eaves on the coop roof to secure it, painting everything and put the tin around the bottom of the fence. Oh and making the new waterer and feeder, I'm still waiting for some parts to arrive.

Horses vet trip did not go as planned. Starting her on some Benadryl for 2 weeks to see if it clears up the loud breathing, if it doesn't help then we'll progress to steroids and then possibly scoping her. Also have to haul he back in a few weeks to get the rest of her vaccines. We didn't want to overtax her system given her history of sensitivity to things and the breathing issue.

Tomorrow I'm going to visit my SOs parents for the night. I haven't seen them since his funeral. I'll also go visit him at the cemetery, probably take us a few beers and pour one out for him. I have a Fathers Day present for his dad that I'm going to give him from both of us. I think I'll do mothers/fathers day and birthday gifts for his parents every year for him. I'll also be bringing our puppy that they kept home with me for a few days because they'll be out of town.

View attachment 109707
LadyLocust and I decided to go to the beach today instead of the pool! Thought I'd never get a picture of her with a swimsuit on!!🙄
DAAUM :ghostly:

Heartig I had a mouse, or maybe a squirrel chew up fuel line on both my Camry DD and my Tundra. Actually got the Camry a second time. First repair was $250. I did the next 2 myself. Mechanic said the fuel lines have a soy componenent to them. Happen's all the time.

I got one of these for all three of our cars and 2 for our camper. Hadn't had another issue...so far. Just swap batteries every 6 months to a year. It gives off a high pitched screech every so often. Some people can hear it, some can't.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TUM1A2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Couldn’t get my Stihl chainsaw started yesterday, hadn’t been run since last fall. So I used the old husqvarna. Was doing some difficult cutting around fences/corral, brush and vines covering everything. There’s cattle panels, barbwire, cinder blocks. Of course the chain didn’t last long, can’t help but hook a vine or hidden wire and get pulled into something worse.

This morning I was sore and moving slow, didn't accomplish anything but lunch and a nap. Went up to the shop this afternoon and got the stihl started. Since it had a sharp chain… did some more cutting around the corral. Engine wasn’t warm before I caught a piece of wire and ran the chain into a cinder block. I got another 10min out of the chain before stopping.

Brought both saws to the house. Luckily I found the booklet for the saw chain sharpener a couple days ago. Have 4 other chains to sharpen… need to check the pole saw chain while I'm at it, a good job for tomorrow.

20230606_Saws_34sm.jpg

I was going to try to drive straight thru from Gypsum, Colorado to home, but I couldn't do it. I stopped at the Super 8 in Kearney, Nebraska for the night. The plan is to get up at the butt crack of dawn tomorrow, and be home by noon. Kearney is exactly 5 hours from home, so I need to leave a little before 7 to make it by noon. I'm going to be drinking near-fatal amounts of coffee in the morning so I'll need extra time for pee breaks...

Tonight, last night for all ya'all waking up this morning, was my last night at Home Depot. Sorry for the few good co-workers who will have to hope any new hires are worth a darn but happy I am done with that place, either forever or for a while. Alarm set for noon, massage scheduled for 3pm, drive to town to pick up a new wood chipper after the massage. Early-ish bedtime planned and 0800 report time for the new job here in the neighborhood for Thursday morning. If I have spare time I will sand the new workbench one more time and give it one more coat of paint.
Aside from that, if the evening permits, I have a bag of ice in the freezer, a bag of assorted fruit in the freezer, and a bottle of rum in the freezer, and a blender to mix them properly. It is 3am my time and I will apply one more layer of epoxy on the old pool pump that froze and broke over the winter and then a quick shower and off to bed. Sweet dreams for me, Good morning to all ya'all.

It's raining...but ok, we mowed and weeded all day yesterday. Son brushhoged the sheep pasture the grass was so high, they can't keep up eating it ( that's a good thing) . The goat pasture looks just as bad but it's too steep for the tractor. I weedeated some of the weeds around the barn. Why is it the bad weeds are always around the barn?

So pastures look very green and high, garden looks fairly good, my zuchini finally came up

But still no truck....haven't heard back yet. When we stopped by there they still had to take the gas tank off to see where the fuel leek was coming from. Hoping they will fix the brakes, the fuel leak and it will be ok for at least another year but we'll see....I just hope they dont call and say " we can't fix it'
If that happens I am not sure what we will do. I have been spending a ton of time online looking for a new ( used) truck. NOTHING. They are either in just as bad a shape as ours, have 200 k miles on it, are located 5 States away or way out of our price range...
We totally had not planned for this. Always assumed that anything in a vehicle is fixable. You can put a new engine in it. I guess living most of our lives in Florida you don't expect a 15 year old truck to have a rusted frame that cannot be fixed. My Yukon is the same year as the Dodge but had very little rust on it.

Have to make another trip to town ( the closer one this time) to get propane. We use small propane tanks for the stove and ovens in summer and just about out. Wished we had checked a few days ago and wouldn't have to drive somewhere again already

Still have some this and that to do in the house, and animal chores this morning...little granddaughter has her sewing class late morning, so I'll take her in to the bigger town for that, and fill a cart at Aldi while she's at class. Our daughter (child number 4) comes sometime today...she's coming from a friend's place in TX, and says it's an 8 hr drive, so we'll see when she leaves. Our other friends fro NM should be around at some point, too. So, I know what I'm doing today, just not sure what time I'm doing everything.

Festival starts today, I'm a little nervous because the forecast is calling for thunderstorms 3 of the 4 days. Weatherman is never right, hopefully it works out in my favor! If not I've got a pavilion with sides so we ought to stay dry enough, and my garden can use the rain. My house is absolutely trashed with piles of junk everywhere as I've gone through storage boxes finding all the bits and bobs I want to use and remnants of packaging. Fortunately it's trash day so a lot of the junk I don't need/want anymore can get hauled to the curb :)

DH is doing fine with his dental work! Yay!
Walked first, of course.
Chauffeured my friend around our little town as we aren't going to the bigger one this week.
This afternoon, I will make some grits and then pressure can them so I can just heat and eat. I love experimenting!
That's it. Taking it easier today!

Got 3" rain yesterday in about an hour. With straight line winds first. Sure thankful for the moisture!

Last edited:
Had to repair the front porch cover this morning, last night's wild weather loosened up the wooden frame (which was already loose due to age). So I broke out the ladder, framing hammer, some longer nails, my cordless drill and some long exterior screws, then went to work tightening everything up. There are some wood pieces I will eventually replace, but for now I just wanted to tighten up the loose wooden framework and make it last awhile longer. Mission accomplished, it'll hold for now with those longer nails & screws, but that rework job is a future task, I have enough going on right now as it is. Good thing I didn't have to water this morning, that let me get right on the repair work, as soon as I saw the cover hanging down a bit where things had worked loose. These high winds we get in this part of New Mexico are something else, same as in Arizona... the winds will damage homes and outbuildings, ya gotta shore up everything to withstand those gusts. Since I've been here, I've seen damage to the homes of four different neighbors, guess it was my turn this time. Meh, the porch cover is good to go now, it'll take hurricane winds to work it loose again, lol. 😒

I meant to check the bike this morning, but that sun was beating down during the repair work, so I decided to wait till this evening to pull the bike out of its shed. I'll do that once it cools off and there's shade out front... for now, I'm all cleaned up and enjoying a cold beer, might cut my hair later today, I noticed it's getting long already. For this ex-Infantry soldier, any hair over 1/8" on the lower back and sides of my head is considered too long, especially when I'm wearing a helmet while riding. So a Waffen SS cut is in the cards today, lol... it's a "low maintenance" thing. Those electric clippers of mine and the appropriate attachments make the job easy, only takes about 5-10 minutes, max. I've been cutting my own hair for 15 or 20 years now, it's a good way to save time and money, and y'all know I'm a cheap b@stard, lol. When I don't have to pay a barber, that leaves more money for steaks & beers, aye? A man has to have his priorities straight, lol. If I botch the haircut, I can always tell those who ask that I fell under a riding mower... while drunk, of course. ;)

Y'all hang loose, I believe I'm about to grab another cold one outta the fridge... :cool:

Today, my family and I visited the local meat market owned by a farmer in our area. We picked up some sirloin steaks and ground beef, which we always do because we love the freshness and authenticity of the meat. We don't settle for synthetic beef. Supporting local businesses and enjoying quality meat is always a win-win!

Change of plans for today. Not going to visit SOs parents and such because his grandma went to the ER last night and had a pacemakers put in this morning. We're going to reschedule our visit. I'll meet his mom halfway to get the puppy. Do chores and such and take it easy today because I didn't fall asleep until after 5 this morning and have a headache.

Been running around like a crazy person today. Brought little granddaughter to sewing class and she enjoyed it. While she was there, we went to fill a cart at Aldi. Canned veggies went up 12 cents a can, and the small bottles of olives went from 2.85 to 3.49 in a week. Surprise! Went to two bin stores and found "stuff" I "need", gas and bank. So lots of putaways done, and housecleaning finished. The young amish lad Aaron came by to mow, so I had to go get our gas cans filled (I forgot). I swear I'm going to replace every single one of those stupid newfangled nozzles. I bought a few of the "classic" type, and they are easy on, easy off...unlike the ones they come with nowadays. New Mexico visitors arrived late, so they'll be coming tomorrow for brunch. Our daughter should be arriving in a few hours, coming in from Texas.

You realize you are talking about the one who seldom even wears shorts, so I won't be wearing a swimsuit, but might possibly be wearing jeans and a T like I do 99% of the time 😂
Also, nails are dark green at the moment. 😊
If we snare @Amish Heart &/or @MoBookworm1957 in on this, we could be the new 3 Musketeers - watch out world there's a new superhero(s) :drink buddy:
Oh Lord!
I might be colorful at the moment.
Beings I can't tell one color from another.
Estelle wanted to know if her Daddy(my son) had picked out my outfit today.

Oh Lord!
I might be colorful at the moment.
Beings I can't tell one color from another.
Estelle wanted to know if her Daddy(my son) had picked out my outfit today.
Shhhh! Don't tell Pearl. She thinks clothes are optional anyways 😂

Took a break earlier, got the haircut done this afternoon, now I'm waiting for it to cool off outside so I can check the bike... might water tonight as well, even though it just rained last night, the amount of rain wasn't enough to keep the soil wet. I'll be SO glad when monsoon rains arrive... IF they arrive, given the fact that gubmint tards are messin' with the weather. Not just our gubmint either, I'm sure those Chinese dinks are up to no good where the weather is concerned. 😒

Meh, tomorrow I RIDE, and ALL gubmint tards can p!$$ off... if I see one on the trail, it'll be time for an @$$-beatin', lol. :waiting:

Got up early & after cleaning out truck a bit and turning it around I took mom to an ENT appointment to get approval to renew RX for her cpap supplies. Went to Golden Corral. Ate too much. Stopped at post office. Took Mom home and helped her into the house. Worked on my bathroom. Patched a trim board, glued & stapled up some shims, cut some baseboard for the tub, looked for my brad nailer but grabbed pin nailer by mistake. Messed around with figuring out solutions for gaps on trim. Will need the table saw to rip some pvc boards (jigsaw won't cut it).
About to grab more food even though I stuffed myself at GC. They had chocolate cake, carrot cake, and pumpkin pie.

I was going to try to drive straight thru from Gypsum, Colorado to home, but I couldn't do it. I stopped at the Super 8 in Kearney, Nebraska for the night. The plan is to get up at the butt crack of dawn tomorrow, and be home by noon. Kearney is exactly 5 hours from home, so I need to leave a little before 7 to make it by noon. I'm going to be drinking near-fatal amounts of coffee in the morning so I'll need extra time for pee breaks...
I think the worst bed I ever slept on was in Kearney, Nebraska. It was late and there were no other options available. It was mostly occupied by truck drivers.

Back